ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

A little 'End of the Season' round-up for the Gator Baseball Fans.
Looking ahead to next season and what it might be bringing us.

The Florida 2019 Baseball Projected Roster
:
(13)
RHP Nick Blasucci 6-2 195 Sr
RHP Felix Garcia 5-10 195 Sr
RHP Tyler Dyson 6-3 225 Jr
LHP/OF Andrew Baker 5-10 190 Jr
LHP Cole Maye 6-7 200 Jr
RHP Nick Long 6-0 195 Jr
RHP Tommy Mace 6-6 200 So
LHP/OF/1B Jordan Butler 6-0 185 So
RHP Jack Leftwich 6-2 210 So
RHP Hunter McMullen 6-2 200 So
RHP Connor Churchill 6-2 200 So
LHP Colton Gordon 6-3 210 So
RHP Hunter Ruth 6-2 190 So

(3)
C Jonah Girand 6-0 200 Sr
C/INF Brady Smith 5-11 195 So
C Cal Greenfield 6-0 205 so

(5)
INF/OF Blake Reese 5-11 187 Sr
INF/RHP Garrett Milchin 6-5 210 Jr
INF/OF Shane Shifflett 5-10 170 So
INF Brady McConnell 6-1 185 So
INF Jose Ciccarello 5-8 180 So

(5)
OF/DH Nelson Maldonado 5-10 195 Sr
OF/LHP Austin Langworthy 5-10 195 Jr
OF/1B Keenan Bell 6-1 230 Jr
OF/RHP Kirby McMullen 5-11 200 Jr
OF Will Dalton 6-0 190 Jr

Total 26, before any incoming FNG's, but 5 are Sr's that might not be on the 2019 roster.

OF/DH Nelson Maldonado 5-10 195 Sr (RF)
2B/OF Blake Reese 5-11 187 Sr (2B)

=====
=======

Gator 2018 Recruit-Commits that were drafted and Signed:

SS Addison Barger 6-0 180 - Tampa/King - Blue Jays - SIGNED
OF/LHP Connor Scott 6-4 180 - Tampa/Plant - Marlins - SIGNED
C Anthony Seigier - Cartersville, GA - Yankees - SIGNED
RHP Lyon Richardson - Jensen Bch, FL - Reds - SIGNED
==========

2018 Recruit Verbal Commits - (23?)
Drafted, but did not sign (yet?).
~ 3B Cory Acton 6-1 180 - Jupiter - Tigers (won't sign MLB)
~ OF Kendrick Calilao 6-1 195 - Kissimmee - Cards

~ RHP Mason Denaburg 6-4 195 - Merritt Island - Natl's (likely MLB sign)
~ RHP David Luethje 6-5 190 - Vero Bch - Rays
~ RPH Nick Pogue 6-5 215 - Melbourne - Rockies (won't sign MLB)
~ RHP Benjamin Specht 6-1 205 - Ft. Myers - Dodgers

=====

RHP Matthew Allan 6-3 210 - Sanford
LHP/OF/1B Hunter Barco 6-4 208- Jacksonville
LHP Ryan Cabarcas 5-11 155 - Pembroke Pines
RHP Nolan Crisp 6-0 175 - McDonough, GA
RHP Hunter Mink 6-1 195 - Palm Harbor
RHP Christain Scott 6-4 190 - Parkland
RHP/SS Brandon Sproat 6-2 165 - Pace

C Jacob Herbert 6-3 215 - Lakeland
C Nathan Hickey 6-0 205 - Jacksonville
C Matthew Powell 6-2 185 7.34/60 - Ft. Myers

1B Kevin Martin 6-4 220 - Miami
SS Isaac Nunex 6-0 190 - Orlando
3B Roberto Pena 6-2 200- Pembroke Pines
3B Joshua Rivera 6-2 205 - Avon Park
3B Andrew Roberts 6-2 185 - Altamonte Spgs

OF Hylan Hall 6-2 190 - Ocoee
OF Riley Greene 6-2 190 - Oviedo
OF/LHP Judson Fabian 6-1 180 6.92/60 - Ocala (2019)
OF Jacob Young 6-0 165 - Ponte Vedra

Note: I took info from several sources and it was spread over time, so things could have changed since. I make no claims on the correctness or the completeness of the information on any of the recruits. Please make any corrections, additions or subtractions as needed. -- iG

Last edited:
A little 'End of the Season' round-up for the Gator Baseball Fans.
Looking ahead to next season and what it might be bringing us.

The Florida 2019 Baseball Projected Roster
:
(13)
RHP Tyler Dyson 6-3 225 Jr
LHP/OF Andrew Baker 5-10 190 Jr
LHP Cole Maye 6-7 200 Jr
RHP Nick Long 6-0 195 Jr
RHP Tommy Mace 6-6 200 So
LHP/OF/1B Jordan Butler 6-0 185 So
RHP Jack Leftwich 6-2 210 So
RHP Hunter McMullen 6-2 200 So
RHP Connor Churchill 6-2 200 So
LHP Colton Gordon 6-3 210 So
RHP Hunter Ruth 6-2 190 So

(3)
C/INF Brady Smith 5-11 195 So
C Cal Greenfield 6-0 205 so

(5)
INF/OF Blake Reese 5-11 187 Sr
INF/RHP Garrett Milchin 6-5 210 Jr
INF/OF Shane Shifflett 5-10 170 So
INF Brady McConnell 6-1 185 So
INF Jose Ciccarello 5-8 180 So

(5)
OF/DH Nelson Maldonado 5-10 195 Sr
OF/LHP Austin Langworthy 5-10 195 Jr
OF/1B Keenan Bell 6-1 230 Jr
OF/RHP Kirby McMullen 5-11 200 Jr
OF Will Dalton 6-0 190 So

Total 26, before any incoming FNG's, but 5 are Sr's that might not be on the 2019 roster.

OF/DH Nelson Maldonado 5-10 195 Sr (RF)
2B/OF Blake Reese 5-11 187 Sr (2B)

=====
=======

Gator 2018 Recruit-Commits that were drafted and Signed:

SS Addison Barger 6-0 180 - Tampa/King - Blue Jays - SIGNED
OF/LHP Connor Scott 6-4 180 - Tampa/Plant - Marlins - SIGNED
C Anthony Seigier - Cartersville, GA - Yankees - SIGNED
RHP Lyon Richardson - Jensen Bch, FL - Reds - SIGNED
==========

2018 Recruit Verbal Commits - (19)
Drafted, but did not sign (yet?).
~ 3B Cory Acton 6-1 180 - Jupiter - Tigers
~ OF Kendrick Calilao 6-1 195 - Kissimmee - Cards
~ RHP Mason Denaburg 6-4 195 - Merritt Island - Natl's
~ RHP David Luethje 6-5 190 - Vero Bch - Rays
~ RPH Nick Pogue 6-5 215 - Melbourne - Rockies
~ RHP Benjamin Specht 6-1 205 - Ft. Myers - Dodgers

=====

RHP Matthew Allan 6-3 210 - Sanford
LHP/OF/1B Hunter Barco 6-4 208- Jacksonville
LHP Ryan Cabarcas 5-11 155 - Pembroke Pines
RHP Nolan Crisp 6-0 175 - McDonough, GA
RHP Hunter Mink 6-1 195 - Palm Harbor
RHP Christain Scott 6-4 190 - Parkland
RHP/SS Brandon Sproat 6-2 165 - Pace

C Jacob Herbert 6-3 215 - Lakeland
C Nathan Hickey 6-0 205 - Jacksonville
C Matthew Powell 6-2 185 7.34/60 - Ft. Myers

1B Kevin Martin 6-4 220 - Miami
SS Isaac Nunex 6-0 190 - Orlando
3B Roberto Pena 6-2 200- Pembroke Pines
3B Joshua Rivera 6-2 205 - Avon Park
3B Andrew Roberts 6-2 185 - Altamonte Spgs

OF Hylan Hall 6-2 190 - Ocoee
OF Riley Greene 6-2 190 - Oviedo
OF/LHP Judson Fabian 6-1 180 6.92/60 - Ocala
OF Jacob Young 6-0 165 - Ponte Vedra

Note: I took info from several sources and it was spread over time, so things could have changed since. I make no claims on the correctness or the completeness of the information on any of the recruits. Please make any corrections, additions or subtractions as needed. -- iG
Good info Insta. Jud Fabian will be a senior in high school next year, but he's definitely committed to going to UF as part of the class of '19. Was just named the Ocala Star Banner Player of the Year as a junior. Also, Wil Dalton will be a junior at UF next year. I've read that Acton has already said he's coming to Gainesville. He went to the same high school as India, was named 1st team USA Today All American and Broward County Player of the year. He's going to be hard to keep off the field next year. I also read that Mason Denaburg is going pro. He was the 27th player selected in the 1st round by the Nationals and his slot is worth $2.7 million. Also, pretty sure Nick Pogue said he's coming to UF. Here is the latest update on our 2018 recruiting class per Perfect Game:
https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1774&g=2018

Last edited:
Thanks ocala for the Dalton class correction, (brain fart), :confused: and for the extra info.
I used Perfect Game for some of my info, but they are sorely 'incomplete' in that they only had 10 commits listed, plus the 4 that have already signed MLB contracts.
I have O'Sul with around 23 verbal commits already. :cool:

~ I went back and did an edit to make the needed changes.
Anything further and I'll do so again. ;)

Thanks ocala for the Dalton class correction, (brain fart), :confused: and for the extra info.
I used Perfect Game for some of my info, but they are sorely 'incomplete' in that they only had 10 commits listed, plus the 4 that have already signed MLB contracts.
I have O'Sul with around 23 verbal commits already. :cool:

~ I went back and did an edit to make the needed changes.
Anything further and I'll do so again. ;)
Pretty sure Perfect Game has it right, man. All those commits you have listed above, from Matthew Allan through Jacob Young, are high school juniors, committed to UF for our 2019 class, EXCEPT for Christian Scott, Roberto Pena & Jacob Young. Those 3 are part of this year's class. SS Isaac Nunex is really Nunez. Also, Kristofer Armstrong should be added to the list as a 2018 commit. The interesting thing about him is that he is 6'4" 205, has played middle infield, catcher and can pitch both righty & lefty. He is projected as a right-handed pitcher at UF, but can also hit, so another 2-way player coming our way. We don't have many spots available on the roster this year and so our recruiting ranking is going to be down from prior years. We had 33 players on our roster this year and only 6 are leaving for sure (Singer, Kowar, India, Horvath, Liput & Schwarz). Maldanado & Reese are back for sure. Maybe a couple guys who didn't play much, if at all, transfer out and maybe Byrne goes pro, but there's just not much roster space in this class. I've actually read a couple of places that Bynre may come back for his senior year as a starting pitcher because the pros are projecting him as a starter in the majors and would like for him to have a year under his belt starting at the college level. Last year we lost 7 players and added 13 and that trend can't continue or we'll have 40 guys dressing out!!

I'm looking for Hunter Ruth to make a move on the pitching staff next year. He got hurt early in his senior year of high school, but was rated better than Mace & Churchill & just below Leftwich when they all signed.

Last edited:
NCAA Baseball rules allow a total of 35 roster spots per team.
How they divide up their own ship $$ is a different thing and varies with each team, each year, as their own needs demand.
=====

Class confusion on the 2018 or 2019 verbal commits. I have seen them listed both/either way in different places. :confused:
I guess I'll know for sure when signing day happens for baseball.

Spinning my wheels in deep sand apparently, by blending the 18 and 19 verbal commits...:confused:

Perfect Game has this on UF 2018 class:

12. UF - 10 -- 3 Top 100's

With the Gator class listed here:
https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1774&g=2018

A total of 14 verbal commits to UF, with this break-down:

4 UF verbal recruits have already signed with MLB.

6 more recruits have MLB offers, but have not yet signed with MLB.
~ Rumored -- 1 yes, 2 no's, with 3 not yet decided.

4 solid verbal commits with no MLB offer.

Position break-down: (leaving out those 4 that have already signed with MLB)

RHP Denaburg - Natl's - rumored will sign

3B Acton - Tigers - no sign, a GATOR!
RHP Pogue - Rockies - no sign, a GATOR!
RHP Luethje - Rays - no sign, a GATOR!

OF Calilao - Cards

RHP Spechit - Dodgers

3B Pena - no offer
MIF Armstrong - no offer
RHP Scott - no offer
OF Young - no offer

===========

And already with nearly enough verbals to fill the 2019 class.

Last edited:
Of that money, $2,472,700 is assigned to Denaburg’s slot. The Nationals have never failed to sign a first-round selection since Mike Rizzo became general manager in 2009. Signability is a priority, and Washington believes Denaburg will opt to turn pro over attending the University of Florida.

Love to have him. He could probably benefit from college in several important ways. But it doesn't look very good for him/us.

That money roughs out without any deductions to about $55,000 a year until he's old enough to collect social security at 63....

The whole wad in a 3% account would be around $75,000 per year,,,, FOREVER. --- Love to have him, but wouldn't blame him.... :cool:

Last edited:
Cory Acton Tweet from June 5:
Pinned Tweet
Cory Acton‏@cory_acton22 Jun 5
Gator Nation, see you in three weeks...
1f40a.png

2 replies39 retweets233 likes

Reactions: instaGATOR
Nick Pogue Tweet from June 5:
Pinned Tweet
Nick Pogue‏@_nickpogue_ Jun 5
Looking forward to finally becoming a Florida Gator and seeing what the future holds! Can’t wait to spend the next four years in Gainesville! Go Gators!
1f40a.png
1f40a.png
1f40a.png

6 replies53 retweets383 likes

David Luethje Twitter post June 7:
The MLB draft did not decide my future...I did! Thank you Rays for the humbling opportunity but for the next three years it’s all about the chomp. Go Gators
1f40a.png

1:00 PM - 7 Jun 2018

Good stuff ocala, and thanks... :)

I'm betting that it's an even chance that pitching will be as good or better in 2019.

Please don't return Reese to 2B,,, unless someone can teach him how to play 2B.:confused:
They sorely need to return to error-free Gator ball. o_O
IMOHO, that's what cost them their championship tourney goals in 2018. :cool:

David Luethje Twitter post June 7:
The MLB draft did not decide my future...I did! Thank you Rays for the humbling opportunity but for the next three years it’s all about the chomp. Go Gators
1f40a.png

1:00 PM - 7 Jun 2018

Do you blame him I wouldn’t want to go to the Rays either. I use to be a huge Rays fan until they traded Price and then Madden left. Can’t stand the Rays anymore.

I didn't really expect that he'd be back for his Sr season.

Too bad for the Gators, but good for him, and I don't blame him one bit.
'Take the money and run,,,' or pitch, as the case may be... :cool:

They love that song "Money, Money, Money"...They earned it I guess...But then again I'm not for these athletes leaving college, not finishing what they started just for the big $$..

Here’s a question: why, when baseball players go pro after year 3, is the general sentiment “Godspeed and good luck?” but when basketball players go pro after year 3, the reaction is generally how stupid they are for not finishing their education and possibly improving their draft stock? Is getting drafted in the 14th round and playing high a ball in Tucson demonstrably better than playing in the G league, or playing pro ball in Europe?

A long list of differences if you look into it, or just think about it.
I'll give you some time to answer your own question... :cool:

A long list of differences if you look into it, or just think about it.
I'll give you some time to answer your own question... :cool:

I’ve thought about it pretty good, but I don’t see too much difference in Devin Robinson, who you killed for leaving early, leaving for a G league contract and Byrne, who you just applauded, leaving after getting drafted in the 14th round. Wait! I just thought of one difference between the two!

1. Robinson didn't even get NBA drafted, but Byrne did get MLB drafted. Do you see any difference there? :cool:

2. List their signing money difference for me. :oops:

3. Do either of them already have a UF degree?

4. IF not, which one (or both) do you think will ever return to finish his UF degree?

Answer those questions and I'll give your thinker another kick... o_O

Last edited:
The NBA draft has 2 rounds (60 players total), the MLB draft has 40 rounds (1200 players). There are a maximum of 15 players on an NBA team, 26 on a MLB team. I have no problem with any kid exercising his free right to seek employment, although sometimes I question their wisdom in doing so. Some kids aren't as good at school, nor do they enjoy school, as much as others. Some come from families with money, others are poor. Lots of factors weigh into a young person's decisions and who am I to criticize? The fact they they chose to be Gators makes me pull for their success whatever they choose to do.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about it pretty good, but I don’t see too much difference in Devin Robinson, who you killed for leaving early, leaving for a G league contract and Byrne, who you just applauded, leaving after getting drafted in the 14th round. Wait! I just thought of one difference between the two!

I didn't think that D-Rob was ready, (mature either physically or B-Ball mentally) to move up.

I do think that Byrne is ready, both ways.

I had to think a minute before I figured out what you were even insinuating was a difference, but then I'm not the overt racist that your appear to be. Shall we go into BLM too??? :rolleyes:

1. Robinson didn't even get NBA drafted, but Byrne did get MLB drafted. Do you see any difference there? :cool:

2. List their signing money difference for me. :oops:

3. Do either of them already have a UF degree?

4. IF not, which one (or both) do you think will ever return to finish his UF degree?

Answer those questions and I'll give your thinker another kick... o_O

Well, it’s fairly obvious from your post that you don’t know the answers to those questions either, so I doubt those were your criteria. As far as signing bonus, I don’t know what Byrne signed for, but the average mid first round pick last year got $4 million while the mid third round pick got $150k. So extrapolate that to the 14th round and you’ll have some idea of what Byrne got. Robinson signed a dual contract with the Wizzards and d league and was actually rostered in the NBA last year, so I believe his contract is in the $100k range but I’ll do some more digging. I also have no idea who’s closer to a degree, but I doubt UF tuition would be prohibitive for either if they wanted to finish school. I’m not sure what criteria you’re using to determine who’s “more likely” to come back for their degree, except to say that I suspect it’s based on the “difference” that I referenced in my last post.

As far as your reference to who got drafted, as Ocala has already pointed out, it’s laughably ill considered given that the NBA draft has two rounds for teams with 12-man rosters while the mlb draft has 40 rounds to fill 25-man mlb rosters and basically limitless minor league spots.

Yep, I agree with you totally, not a bit of difference between them, nor any reason to see them leaving UF early differently, baseball and basketball are exactly the same... :rolleyes:

The fact that you saw a certain 'difference' and I didn't,,, says a lot more about you than it does about me. o_O

Here’s a question: why, when baseball players go pro after year 3, is the general sentiment “Godspeed and good luck?” but when basketball players go pro after year 3, the reaction is generally how stupid they are for not finishing their education and possibly improving their draft stock? Is getting drafted in the 14th round and playing high a ball in Tucson demonstrably better than playing in the G league, or playing pro ball in Europe?
Baseball players are only given partial scholarships while basketball is usually given a full ride.

How the hell you equate any of this to race base is beyond me no matter who are debating with.

Baseball players are only given partial scholarships while basketball is usually given a full ride.

How the hell you equate any of this to race base is beyond me no matter who are debating with.

Scholarship differences may be part of it, but I doubt most people are aware of that aspect. And what kind of difference are you talking about between partial and full scholarship, in state at UF? $20k? Peanuts compared to the money at stake in correctly managing a professional athletic career, so I doubt that’s much of a factor. Generally, “stay and get your education” is pretty out of touch advice. A general non marketable college degree is pretty much worthless. College is only worthwhile if you develop a marketable skill, which both Robinson and Byrne did. Among the most marketable skill sets in the world. It’s a crapshoot whether either plays in the top pro league, but Robinson played a game in the NBA last year. Statistically, Byrne is very unlikely to play in MLB that fast. Ultimately, I like both of their chances.

I think it’s interesting the differing reactions to their trying to trade on their respective skills. I still haven’t read anything convincing why one makes sense and the other is misguided.

Was he the guy saying he was still going to the Gators last week? Guess that was just negotiating? Can’t blame him though. $3 million is nice for an 18 year old.

Was he the guy saying he was still going to the Gators last week? Guess that was just negotiating? Can’t blame him though. $3 million is nice for an 18 year old.
I didn't read anything about what he was saying. I posted an article about how the Nationals always signed their 1st round picks and they were confident they would get him. But he delayed signing longer than most and it appears our coaches thought he might come to UF. But that IS a lot of money coming out of high school.

The truth is Byrne would likely make less if he waited a year because he’ll have no bargaining power and, really, what else could he do at Florida? He’s got a CWS NC ring, is the all-time saves leader, Stopper of the Year in 2018 and will always be remembered as one of the best to ever come through here.

====================

Tim Tebow can add another notch on his resume belt — Double-A All-Star. He was selected for the game after the month of June where he hit .318.

There was an open spot on the All-Star roster because former Gator star and Rumble Ponies teammate Peter Alonso was elevated to Triple-A recently.

There was some Twitter Tebow-hate out there as if Tim was the first player selected to an all-star game with less than stellar numbers. Tim's season hitting is .261, which is 21 points higher than Cal Ripken was hitting before his last MLB All-Star Game.) And Jason Varitek once made an All-Star game with a .218 batting average. And they can hate on Tim, but he ignores them and he just keeps on working and getting better.
~ thanks for the leg up from a Pat Dooley article.

The truth is Byrne would likely make less if he waited a year because he’ll have no bargaining power and, really, what else could he do at Florida? He’s got a CWS NC ring, is the all-time saves leader, Stopper of the Year in 2018 and will always be remembered as one of the best to ever come through here.
Thanks, Pat Dooley. Good insight.

Thanks, Pat Dooley. Good insight.
Is this him,,, or is this me? Who copies / refects whom?
Like minds or coincidental / parallel inspirations?
Channeling each other maybe???
Ideas float around all over the world and we each latch on to the ones that we mostly agree with.... My story, and I'm sticking to it, maybe, sometimes, anyway.... :cool:

From my ole pal, Fat Drooly...
While on the subject of going away, Blake Toppmeyer of the Knoxville News Sentinel did a piece over the weekend on the 2015 Tennessee recruiting class. It was ranked fourth in the nation and didn’t quite pan out. This isn’t a knock on Butch Jones because that would be too easy. Instead, it’s a lesson that you can’t be too quick to rush to judgment on a recruiting class. For example, I’m getting a lot of feedback from Florida fans because Dan Mullen has yet to wow them in the summer recruiting period. I tell them all to be patient. But even when the class comes in and is ranked, you can hold up on your evaluations. That 2015 Tennessee class only has 11 of the 30 signed players still on the team and only three of them turned pro (two were sixth-round picks this year; the third was Alvin Kamara). It would be even fewer still with the Tennessee team if Darrin Kirkland Jr. didn’t change his mind about leaving and Jauan Jennings wasn’t reinstated. The Vols have lost 11 players to transfers (including Florida punter Tommy Townsend), which brings me back to this ridiculous paranoia among college coaches that the new transfer rules will cause chaos. What do you think we have now? I was curious so I looked up Florida’s 2015 class, which was McElwain’s first. I counted nine starters for this season out of the 20-man class. I’m not sure what that says, but it’s pretty cool.

Tebow Update:

Tim Tebow (LF) — Binghamton Rumble Ponies (New York Mets Double-A)

Tebow went 9-for-30 (.300) this week with a home run, two doubles and three RBIs, raising his season average three points to .273. Tebow played in the Eastern League All-Star game and doubled on his first at-bat against Detroit’s top pitching prospect. Tebow also had a 3-for-5 (.600) game this week and has gotten a hit in 23 of his last 27 games. :cool:

Tebow is balling. Pete Alonzo is the hottest hitter in the Mets farm. He’s almost a lock to get called up. At this pace, Tebow might join him. That would be absolutely amazing.

Tebow is balling. Pete Alonzo is the hottest hitter in the Mets farm. He’s almost a lock to get called up. At this pace, Tebow might join him. That would be absolutely amazing.

Just a FYI...

Peter Alonso (1B) — Las Vegas 51s (New York Mets Triple-A)

Alonso hit two bombs and drove in six RBIs this week, but his 3-for-21 (.143) hitting left much to be desired. The highlight for the 23-year-old this week came on July 15 in the MLB Futures Game on the grand stage of Washington D.C. where Alonso delivered a mammoth home run that cleared the left field bleachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT