ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody want to talk football?

Richt couldn’t even beat Florida, though.
Totally different Florida program vs now. We were coming off a decade of basically a dynasty. Zook was not a game day coach but was a recruiter.

Smart came in with Florida having two horrible hires. Not Steve Spurrier leftovers. Big difference facing McElwain with Muschamp scraps or Mullen in year one with Mc's crums.

Same argument can be said for Richt having to face Fulmer compared to Smart having to face Lyle Jones with Dooley scraps or year 1 Pruitt with Lyle's mismanged roster.

Great. So why couldn't Saban pull elite classes at Michigan St.? Same with Meyer at Utah? They just didn't have the it factor there I guess? They just suddenly got the it factor when they got to schools players actually want to go to. What an interesting concept.

Jeremy Pruitt is one of the best recruiters in the country...can't get elite guys to go to UT though. Kiffin? One of the best recruiters in the country, can't get elite guys to go to FAU. Muschamp? Can recruit his ass off, can't get to guys to go to South Carolina. And on and on. I wonder why.
Excuse me? Pruitt has more elite players on his roster than Florida. Muschamp just got a commitment from a 5 star running back out of Maryland.

Saban started pulling elite players when he started hiring elite recruiters to his staff, like Kirby. Mullen needs to hire elite recruiters to his staff.

Both UF and Tennessee were in much better places when Richt took over, it's not even debatable. UF went 10-2 in 2001 and was a play away from playing in the national championship and UT was 11-2 and played in a BCS bowl and was only 3 years removed from winning a national title. And they still had Fulmer pulling in top 5 classes.

As compared to now where UT has had a losing record 3 of the last 4 years including going winless in conference in 2017, and UF was coming off 4-7 just last year. Yet they brag about dominating the East while downplaying the SEC while Richt was there. Facts don't care about feelings.

Because he’s one of the best recruiting coach in the country. Seriously? Do you think urban Meyer would have recruited better players to Mississippi State? Some coaches have the “it factor” when it comes to recruiting. Mullen doesn’t. And that doesn’t make him a bad coach, I just don’t think he’s an elite recruiter.
Urban Meyer taking his first head coaching job or Urban Meyer with a resume of taking a no name school to an undefeated season, BCS Bowl win, and having a 2* QB as the #1 draft pick? Was Utah signing top 5 classes in 02-04?

Without looking it up, wasn't Mullen's first signing class near the same as Meyer's year 1 at UF?

Do you honestly know if Kirby has the "it" factor to recruit at a place like MS State.

Hell was Saban signing top notch classes at Mich State? I don't have the old Prep Star rags in the attic. I remember him more as a talent developer than a top notch recruiter. Plaxico Burress is the best and only big name talent he had then.

Last edited:
Excuse me? Pruitt has more elite players on his roster than Florida. Muschamp just got a commitment from a 5 star running back out of Maryland.

Saban started pulling elite players when he started hiring elite recruiters to his staff, like Kirby. Mullen needs to hire elite recruiters to his staff.

Pruitt's recruiting classes have ranked behind Mullen each of the last two years...and y'all claim Mullen is an average recruiter. So try again. And I don't give a shit about any one individual player, Muschamp's classes have been ranked 16th, 18th, and 17th the last three years...Mullen's TRANSITION class where he only had two months to recruit was ranked 17th for comparison, and Mullen is average according to y'all. Yet he can't even match Mullen's worst class.

So I ask again...why is it all these elite recruiters with the 'it factor' can only land elite classes when they're at certain schools? This isn't hard.

Urban Meyer taking his first head coaching job or Urban Meyer with a resume of taking a no name school to an undefeated season, BCS Bowl win, and having a 2* QB as the #1 draft pick?

Without looking it up, wasn't Mullen's first signing class near the same as Meyer's year 1?

Do you honestly know if Kirby has the "it" factor to recruit at a place like MS State.

Hell was Saban signing top notch classes at Mich State? I don't have the old Prep Star rags in the attic. I remember him more as a talent developer than a top notch recruiter. Plaxico Burress is the best and only big name talent he had then.
I’m not sure what Meyer’s first class was ranked at Florida, but I do know that he was consistently pulling in elite talent during his tenure. To win consistently in the SEC you have to recruit at a high level. I think Mullen is a solid coach, just think he’s going to have to recruit at a higher level to win championships.

And yes, I do think Kirby could recruit good players to Mississippi state. Not at his current level, but good.

Urban's transition class at UF was ranked 15th with a 3.39 average, he signed 8 blue chips. Mullen's transition class was ranked 17th with a 3.78 average, he signed 14 blue chips. So even with Meyer's class ranked higher, Mullen's transition class had much better quality and 6 more blue chip signees.

Meyer's first class was ranked 2nd and a 3.89 average. He signed 21 blue chips. Mullen's first class was ranked 8th with a 3.64 average, he signed 15 blue chips. So Mullen's transition class was much better, Meyer's first class was better. In totality, they're about at the same place through two classes. Yet to hear y'all tell it Mullen can't recruit. He's signed ONE full class here. How bout we let him recruit for a few years before deciding whether he can recruit or not?

Pruitt's recruiting classes have ranked behind Mullen each of the last two years...and y'all claim Mullen is an average recruiter. So try again. And I don't give a shit about any one individual player, Muschamp's classes have been ranked 16th, 18th, and 17th the last three years...Mullen's TRANSITION class where he only had two months to recruit was ranked 17th for comparison, and Mullen is average according to y'all. Yet he can't even match Mullen's worst class.

So I ask again...why is it all these elite recruiters with the 'it factor' can only land elite classes when they're at certain schools? This isn't hard.
Because Florida recruits itself. You guys should always have top 3 - 5 recruiting classes. If Jeremy Pruitt was at Florida, he would be recruiting better classes than Dan Mullen. That should resonate with y’all considering all the hypothetical discussions that are had over here. A monkey could recruit top ten classes at Florida.

Because Florida recruits itself. You guys should always have top 3 - 5 recruiting classes. If Jeremy Pruitt was at Florida, he would be recruiting better classes than Dan Mullen. That should resonate with y’all considering all the hypothetical discussions that are had over here. A monkey could recruit top ten classes at Florida.

But you just told us recruiters who have the it factor recruit anywhere they are. That’s why you believe Kirby would recruit good at MSU. All those guys have been considered elite recruiters in the past, why don’t they suddenly have the it factor now? Are you now telling me that the quality of school you coach at affects how well you’re able to recruit? Hmmmmmm.

Do you not see how you totally contradicted your own posts?

You speak of McElwain getting lucky by having a fluke win vs Stoops but turn around and act as if Mc was a great coach with a loaded roster.

But then again you are off on Mc's record...he was 10-4 in year 1 and 9-4 in year 2. You also conveniently left out his last year he was let go with a 3-4 record and that loaded roster you speak of finished 4-7. Also failing to mention Mullen improved that 4-7 team to 10-3. For shits and giggles let's conveniently leave out Mc didn't beat LSU in his first season nor win his bowl game.

You seriously think Mc's recruiting powers are why Mullen won? You don't think Mullen can win with a recruiting class that had already ranked higher than anything Mc ever signed?

It was 10- 4 because he play in the SEC championship game, something Mullen didn't do in 10 years.

Where did his 19 class end up? Was top 10 until he lost the centerpiece to transfer and 2 more didn't qualify. The 20 class will be hard pressed to finish top 10. So to answer your question win what? I don't think he can win the East, why should I, he's never won anything. Now it's time to make excuses for him. The truth is he is a quirky guy that can't relate to kids and all those adjustments he is famous for making were against Direction U and fired SEC coaches. But it is comforting to see gator fans making excuses for his failures.

It was 10- 4 because he play in the SEC championship game, something Mullen didn't do in 10 years.

Where did his 19 class end up? Was top 10 until he lost the centerpiece to transfer and 2 more didn't qualify. The 20 class will be hard pressed to finish top 10. So to answer your question win what? I don't think he can win the East, why should I, he's never won anything. Now it's time to make excuses for him. The truth is he is a quirky guy that can't relate to kids and all those adjustments he is famous for making were against Direction U and fired SEC coaches. But it is comforting to see gator fans making excuses for his failures.

Uh, you’re actually contradicting your own post, but unsurprisingly you’re too dumb to see it. Mac won a division while going 9-4, that’s worst that what we just did. That year every loss was by two scores, we had one of the worst offenses in the country, and had a losing record against ranked teams. He won the division solely on the basis of the East being terrible.

By comparison, this year we had a top 50 offense, had a winning record against ranked teams, and was better in every advanced metric but didn’t win the East because the division was better. Mac’s conference record the years he won’t wouldn’t have won him the division EITHER of the last two years by comparison but in your mind Mac accomplished more. It’s amazing how so many of you are incapable of adding any context to anything. You’re a moron.

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Wasn't it one who didn't qualify? A 4th on the depth chart QB left and a flake transferred out to two separate schools in the past month.

The Mississippi State argument is old and is addressed a few posts above in this thread.

He had a 40th or something place class this time last year and closed it out as top 10. I don't see how a current top ten class will rank outside the top ten, he just picked up a 4* south FLA kid top 300 kid this weekend. Many more targets are still available.

The adjustments he made were against a ranked LSU team, a ranked MSU team, and ranked Michigan team.

I'm not sure of what failures you speak of. Improving a 4-7 team to a 10 win team? Improving a first year #18 ranked class to a #8 ranked class?Having a better ranked class at this point compared to 40th something last year to a top ten this year?

I see things trending upwards, not backwards. I am not sure what you are looking at in Red/Silver glasses.

Bring up the Missouri and UK games but out of convince leave out Kirby's first year losing to GT, Vandy, Mc, and Butch. Changing the culture right? But UF isn't changing the culture of shit left behind by Mc?

Quirky guy who can't relate but I've yet to see any current players or commitments say they dislike him, most speak positive of him. Even Jones and Steele has spoke negative of Mullen. He even had the MSU QB defending him constantly on social media to the State fans.

Last edited:
Wonder if Clemson would have as much success if they weren’t in the ACC? Rhetorical question by the way. They deserve credit for beating bama, but they have such an easy path to the playoffs every year.

Jury is still out on Kirby as an elite coach but I like the direction it’s heading. If he can’t get it done in the next two years I’m going to be a little concerned.
What happened to that guarantee?

Dan Mullen hasn’t won anything in ten years as a head coach. And he finished 3rd in the juggernaut east last year.

Ok, I need to address this.

Florida finished tied for second with Kentucky in the East. Not third.

Now, if you want to make the argument that Kentucky beat us and so has the tiebreaker, ok, that's fair.

But then, why does UGa claim 9 SEC East titles? Because for two of them, they lost the tiebreaker with another SEC East team. Once Florida, and once Tennessee. So why doesn't UGa only claim 7 SEC East titles, if they lost on tiebreaker for the other 2 and therefore finished 2nd in the East by your logic? Hmmm?

Georgia fans. Morons and hypocrites, the lot of them.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what Meyer’s first class was ranked at Florida, but I do know that he was consistently pulling in elite talent during his tenure. To win consistently in the SEC you have to recruit at a high level. I think Mullen is a solid coach, just think he’s going to have to recruit at a higher level to win championships.

And yes, I do think Kirby could recruit good players to Mississippi state. Not at his current level, but good.

You may not know this, but when Meyer was pulling all that great talent to UF? Mullen was the OC here and a part of that.

But you just told us recruiters who have the it factor recruit anywhere they are. That’s why you believe Kirby would recruit good at MSU. All those guys have been considered elite recruiters in the past, why don’t they suddenly have the it factor now? Are you now telling me that the quality of school you coach at affects how well you’re able to recruit? Hmmmmmm.
Of course it does, but I also think Kirby would recruit better players to MSU than Mullen. 1000%!

Ok, I need to address this.

Florida finished tied for second with Kentucky in the East. Not third.

Now, if you want to make the argument that Kentucky beat us and so has the tiebreaker, ok, that's fair.

But then, why does UGa claim 9 SEC East titles? Because for two of them, they lost the tiebreaker with another SEC East team. Once Florida, and once Tennessee. So why doesn't UGa only claim 7 SEC East titles, if they lost on tiebreaker for the other 2 and therefore finished 2nd in the East by your logic? Hmmm?

Georgia fans. Morons and hypocrites, the lot of them.
Tie breaker goes to the winner, bud. Kentucky was second in the east. You also got drilled by Missouri at home!

Of course it does, but I also think Kirby would recruit better players to MSU than Mullen. 1000%!

Ok so now that we have that out of the way. Tell us why exactly Mullen is seen as some average recruiter for not getting elite talent to a school that had won 5 bowl games in their entire history and had a winning % that’s barely .500. You’ve finally acknowledged that whether you’re an elite recruiter or not the school you’re at is the biggest determinant of how good your recruiting will be.

And the three years prior to him coming there MSU’s classes averaged 44th in the country. So he actually improved their recruiting significantly, but there’s obviously a low ceiling at places like MSU.

Richt had some really good teams from 2002-2005. Soooo...

Difference is Kirby’s best teams have yet to take the field :rolleyes:

Yeah, go back and look at their first three seasons.

Don't worry, I already posted it.

Bet you guys felt the same way after 2003. Just won't admit it.

Ok so now that we have that out of the way. Tell us why exactly Mullen is seen as some average recruiter for not getting elite talent to a school that had won 5 bowl games in their entire history and had a winning % that’s barely .500. You’ve finally acknowledged that whether you’re an elite recruiter or not the school you’re at is the biggest determinant of how good your recruiting will be.

And the three years prior to him coming there MSU’s classes averaged 44th in the country. So he actually improved their recruiting significantly, but there’s obviously a low ceiling at places like MSU.
I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing, but do you really think Mullen is an elite recruiter? It’s an honest question. I’m not being a smart ass.

Yeah, go back and look at their first three seasons.

Don't worry, I already posted it.

Bet you guys felt the same way after 2003. Just won't admit it.
I’m good with Kirby’s first 3 years. And I’m also ecstatic about the squad that’s going to roll y’all again this year in Jacksonville.

I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing, but do you really think Mullen is an elite recruiter? It’s an honest question. I’m not being a smart ass.

I’ve answered that question already. I gave you all the facts about Meyer and Mullen’s first two classes and you conveniently avoided it. I don’t know what he is, it’s too soon to say. There’s nothing to take from his time at MSU. So far at UF is TBD. Unlike prior coaches who inherited a stable UF job, we’ve sucked for a decade. We just signed the first composite top 10 class in 5 years, we’re top 10 in June for this class with lots of room to move up, doesn’t jive with y’alls opinion he’s some mediocre recruiter.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I’ve answered that question already. I gave you all the facts about Meyer and Mullen’s first two classes and you conveniently avoided it. I don’t know what he is, it’s too soon to say. There’s nothing to take from his time at MSU. So far at UF is TBD. Unlike prior coaches who inherited a stable UF job, we’ve sucked for a decade. We just signed the first composite top 10 class in 5 years, we’re top 10 in June for this class with lots of room to move up, doesn’t jive with y’alls opinion he’s some mediocre recruiter.
And I hear you, but I keep seeing him miss out on players that are game changers. You know, the elite talent that Kirby is reeling in. We’re going to have 22 five stars on our roster this season, that’s insane. I think Mullen is a good coach, I’m just glad he’s an average recruiter.

I’m good with Kirby’s first 3 years. And I’m also ecstatic about the squad that’s going to roll y’all again this year in Jacksonville.

Keep hoping and wishing. Reality comes crashing down on your mangy head this November.

And I hear you, but I keep seeing him miss out on players that are game changers. You know, the elite talent that Kirby is reeling in. We’re going to have 22 five stars on our roster this season, that’s insane. I think Mullen is a good coach, I’m just glad he’s an average recruiter.

And I'm glad you have a below average coach.

After the game you are going to be wondering how your "super squad" just lost to us lowly Gators.

22 Five Stars,,,, always doing less (Dan #6, 4th&Dumb #8) with more....:rolleyes:

>>> Dan's 2019 recruits, with UGly-4th&Dumb offers:

CB Chris Steele ***** 6.1
DE Khris Bogle **** 6.0
CB/Ath Kaiir Elam **** 6.0
WR Arjei Henderson **** 5.9
TE Keon Zipperer **** 5.9
DE Lloyd Summerall **** 5.8
OT Michael Tarquin **** 5.8 - flipped from scUM
RB Nay'Quan Wright **** 5.8
CB Chester Kimbroough **** 5.8
DT Jaelin Humphries **** 5.8
OT/OG Deyavie Hammond *** 5.7 (247 ****)
OLB Jesiah Pierre *** 5.6 (247 ****)
~ Others in Dan's 2019 class that UGly didn't offer, had offers from schools like UA, LSU, FSU, Mia, OK, tOSU, Mich, etc o_O

The subject of Mullen and Staff's recruiting prowess and potentials....

ESPN, the World-Wide Leader in Sports, has 2020 Dan with 13 commits:
10 **** 3 *** with 7 that are ESPN Top 300's

247 Sports has Dan's 13 commits currently ranked as the #6 class in the Nation.

Claiming that Dan & Staff can't recruit is not only ignorant, it's STU-PID.
(and you Can't Fix Stupid) o_O

==========

The value of recruiting service individual recruit's stars, and class rankings...
Early Departure Gator Jr's that got drafted to the NFL in 2019.

2/35 RT J.Taylor ***
3/68 DE/Buck J.Polite ***

4/105 Star/Nic CG-Johnson ****
5/147 LB V.Joseph ***
5/154 RB J.Scarlett ****

The only 5 stars were the Sr LT and a Sr DE that ended up as un-drafted FA signings.

Game changers are by default prospects who’ll be able to go to the best schools in the country. Why exactly would game changers be lining up to sign with a program coming off 4-7 instead of going to places like Bama and Clemson? That isn’t a Mullen issue. Use some common sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT