ADVERTISEMENT

Any idea about the Hurricane Irma hitting Florida this weekend?

The 5am looks bad...time to go to work...no fvckin around anymore...

091506_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

If this track keeps up, and the storm stays as strong, it would be absolutely ridiculous to play this game on Saturday at all. Players and coaches should be helping their families get out of the way of this thing, particularly kids from south florida.

That should have already been done ahead of time before Saturday. I do think they should have said Friday night instead of Noon Saturday however. Players will be in Gainesville to ride this thing out.

GFS just ticked farther west again - stays on land in Florida now all the way up just about.

I busted my ass all day today boarding. I am exhausted. Will work all day tomorrow to finish. Scared shitless. This has the potential to be a significant life-changing event for us all. Really hope my house holds if the eye goes over Melbourne.

God Bless you guys down there.

Sad, hang in there. You seem to be doing the right things. Our friend from Melbourne and her family is staying with us, she lives on Ocean Street. She is quite concerned about everyone down there. Be smart and be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
Holy fvckin' shit....this...just no...

That is actually good if its going to come right up FL regardless. It needs to come up through the everglades and through Hendry and Glades county even though the media will be hollering the whole state down there gets hurricane winds in that scenario - but Cat 1 winds on the coasts is way better than Cat 4.

All models almost going to center of state now which is good. The weather channel needs to go ahead and get someone in the everglades just in case the real strong stuff misses Miami.

Last edited:
Those projections have it eventually getting up to me in NE AL.[/QUOTE

My sister-in-law just called. They live in Orlando. Packing the car and heading up to E.Tennessee until it blows over.

Me thinks they waited a tad late. Can only imagine I-75N now. Bumper to bumper all the way to Atlanta.

Good luck to the west coast and all of Tampa. Really hope it keeps moving west into the gulf and the worst of it stays off-shore. sadgator's parents live in southwest Florida. It is going to be terrible if it traverses the west coast on its current projected path. This entire event has just been physically and emotionally exhausting.

Reactions: GordonGecko
JMA model running now shows Irma going farther west into Cuba before the turn and then going straight up to Tampa.

The worst weather in a hurricane is generally to the right and up from the eye. Once Irma moves north that would be the NE quadrant. Living in Ocala, FL it it stays on track we could be in for Cat 3 conditions here early Monday morning. The Keys and all of SW Florida are going to get it much worse, but Ocala & Gainesville could get hit pretty hard.

Beside ourselves.

We have a cinder block house, new roof in 2010... tar, and new eaves and wood under the roof last month.

But we also have unboarded windows. And they will likely remain unboarded through all this unless by a miracle our handyman had time away from his incredibly busy schedule to board them. First time I have worried about wind alone, even without debris, cracking a large bay window. The oak tree in the back yard...we shall see.

Will I ...or anyone... be able to drive back into Florida Tuesday or Wednesday of next week? Will we have gasoline available in a trip from the mid south, where I work, through southern Alabama? Southern Mississippi? Southern Georgia? Florida from Tampa up to Georgia....Alabama? Man, if our house remains intact with only power and extensive tree falls...we can wait a few weeks.

Praying we avoid a third world looking result like we have seen so much of lately even in the United States. Our saving grace, and I recognize the benefit, is we have a second home up here. One without the history and nostalgia, but obviously a place that if our stuff makes it through, we can wait a month or more.

For those completely in Florida with elderly family also in Florida, I cannot express how much I am thinking and hoping for all of you. This nice diversion of a team message board allows some venting that communicating with our loved ones in Tampa and Brandon and Pinellas is too personal.

Im with you, why not Friday night?
Traffic on the highways and interstates and hotels made a Friday game impossible. I-75 was like a parking lot all day Friday and they needed to keep hotel rooms available for people evacuating south Florida. Also, most gas stations are running out of gas. There are more important, life threatening things going on here than a damn football game!

Traffic on the highways and interstates and hotels made a Friday game impossible. I-75 was like a parking lot all day Friday and they needed to keep hotel rooms available for people evacuating south Florida. Also, most gas stations are running out of gas. There are more important, life threatening things going on here than a damn football game!

Dude, I wrote that post back when they moved the game from Saturday evening to Saturday morning.

Look at the time stamp. Thursday 12:23 CT

They were still talking of playing the game on Saturday. They didn't cancel until Thursday evening.

I was saying IF...IF the game was to be played it should have been Friday evening instead of Saturday morning...more all the reasons you listed on your post.

Read details before getting pissy. I understand you are going through a lot so stay safe.

Beside ourselves.

We have a cinder block house, new roof in 2010... tar, and new eaves and wood under the roof last month.

But we also have unboarded windows. And they will likely remain unboarded through all this unless by a miracle our handyman had time away from his incredibly busy schedule to board them. First time I have worried about wind alone, even without debris, cracking a large bay window. The oak tree in the back yard...we shall see.

Will I ...or anyone... be able to drive back into Florida Tuesday or Wednesday of next week? Will we have gasoline available in a trip from the mid south, where I work, through southern Alabama? Southern Mississippi? Southern Georgia? Florida from Tampa up to Georgia....Alabama? Man, if our house remains intact with only power and extensive tree falls...we can wait a few weeks.

Praying we avoid a third world looking result like we have seen so much of lately even in the United States. Our saving grace, and I recognize the benefit, is we have a second home up here. One without the history and nostalgia, but obviously a place that if our stuff makes it through, we can wait a month or more.

For those completely in Florida with elderly family also in Florida, I cannot express how much I am thinking and hoping for all of you. This nice diversion of a team message board allows some venting that communicating with our loved ones in Tampa and Brandon and Pinellas is too personal.

There is no way to answer any of those questions. The system is still moving due west.

It is nearly impossible to predict when the hockey stick will occur. Once it turns northward, we will know much better what the impact will be.

It turned. Buckle up. God Bless you guys.

It is time for anyone south of Tampa and west of US 27 to get to a safe spot before sundown.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Dude, I wrote that post back when they moved the game from Saturday evening to Saturday morning.

Look at the time stamp. Thursday 12:23 CT

They were still talking of playing the game on Saturday. They didn't cancel until Thursday evening.

I was saying IF...IF the game was to be played it should have been Friday evening instead of Saturday morning...more all the reasons you listed on your post.

Read details before getting pissy. I understand you are going through a lot so stay safe.
I read ALL the details in your post and thought it was stupid then. I knew there was no way this game was going to be played, even on Thursday. I've lived in Florida since 1959 and there has NEVER been a hurricane this big and bad. Sporting events mean NOTHING right now, and as a lifelong Gator I mean that. Irma was going to swallow up the whole state no matter which side it went up. Not pissy at all, bud. Just have no patience right now. Call it what you want. I could care less.

I read ALL the details in your post and thought it was stupid then. I knew there was no way this game was going to be played, even on Thursday. I've lived in Florida since 1959 and there has NEVER been a hurricane this big and bad. Sporting events mean NOTHING right now, and as a lifelong Gator I mean that. Irma was going to swallow up the whole state no matter which side it went up. Not pissy at all, bud. Just have no patience right now. Call it what you want. I could care less.

Ocal, I'm with you on that 100%. I honestly didn't want the game to happen either but as they were talking, it was to be played Saturday...I thought Saturday was a stupid day to play a game. I was thinking if everyone was so adamant about getting the game in that Friday would be a better idea.

I'm glad all those in charge decided to cancel the game.

Stay safe man and hunker down...sorry if my post early Thursday morning came across as if I wanted the game played.

Cedar Key is going to be hammered with a direct hit if the forecast holds and Gainesville WILL lose trees everywhere being on the dirty right side of the storm.

Ocal, I'm with you on that 100%. I honestly didn't want the game to happen either but as they were talking, it was to be played Saturday...I thought Saturday was a stupid day to play a game. I was thinking if everyone was so adamant about getting the game in that Friday would be a better idea.

I'm glad all those in charge decided to cancel the game.

Stay safe man and hunker down...sorry if my post early Thursday morning came across as if I wanted the game played.
Thanks, man. I thought the university was dumb by originally moving the game to noon Saturday. Evacuation of the Keys and Monroe County was ordered Tuesday and Dade & Broward counties ordered massive evacuations on Wednesday. Once that was done there was no way any game in Florida was going to be played. I've been through a bunch of hurricanes over the years and this one is going to be the worst for the most people by far. They're now talking Ocala & Gainesville having sustained hurricane level winds of over 75 mph for 6-8 hours and tropical force winds (35-70) starting tomorrow around noon and not going under that until sometime on Tuesday. Nothing like the Keys and South Florida is going to get, but it's going to put a real hurtin' on the state I love so much. We're being told to prepare to lose power Sunday PM and be without for up to 7-10 days, as there will be millions of people losing electricity and they have to prioritize where and who gets power restored. Maybe it will turn out to be not quite that bad, as we're all praying. Everybody is on edge here and I didn't mean to react so harshly. Gators through ALL kinds of weather, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeGator
If the eye moves west of Tampa, it's gonna be bad, bad news. Winds blowing northeast into Tampa Bay would cause massive flooding.

It's nearly a century too late to remedy the elevation of Davis Island, which in reality, is a real-estate development created by landfill in Tampa Bay. Its canals are only approx. 8--10 ft. above the water level of the Bay.

The really bad news for emergency first response is that Tampa's premier hospital: Tampa General, has grown into a megamedical-center that's right on the "island" side of the (main) bridge to Davis Island. At the same 8--10 ft. elevation above the water level of the Bay.

Seems a lot like having a region's premier hospital situated on top of a major earthquake fault line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT