ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Gator baseball

SEC Tournament has gone about as bad as possible for a Gators postseason bid. Figure aTm, Arky, UK, UT and UGA are national seeds and MSU probably hosts. That's six in with Bama, LSU, USC, UF and Vandy on the bubble. Bama was supposedly first in out of that group and LSU, USC and Vandy have all won multiple games in the tourney. So tourney will have to take 11 from the SEC for UF to get in.

We probably don't deserve a bid but hopefully we sneak in. I saw that we were the only team in the country to play the top 6 RPI teams from the SEC and we were 9-9 against them. And add in series win at LSU, so we can definitely play with anyone on a given day. But it looks like we just don't have the roster to do it with any consistency.

SEC Tournament has gone about as bad as possible for a Gators postseason bid. Figure aTm, Arky, UK, UT and UGA are national seeds and MSU probably hosts. That's six in with Bama, LSU, USC, UF and Vandy on the bubble. Bama was supposedly first in out of that group and LSU, USC and Vandy have all won multiple games in the tourney. So tourney will have to take 11 from the SEC for UF to get in.

We probably don't deserve a bid but hopefully we sneak in. I saw that we were the only team in the country to play the top 6 RPI teams from the SEC and we were 9-9 against them. And add in series win at LSU, so we can definitely play with anyone on a given day. But it looks like we just don't have the roster to do it with any consistency.
#1 SOS, #27 RPI. Baseball America does a daily update of their projected field of 64 and as of this morning they have UF in and not even in the Final 4 in. Link: https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...ected-field-of-64-conference-tournament-week/

SEC got 10 into the tourney last season, and the conference may be better this year, so I think at least 10 get in...hope we aren't #11.

Reactions: bradleygator
Florida makes the NCAA Tournament as the 11th SEC team selected. Sent to Oklahoma State and will play Nebraska in their first game.

Reactions: NavigatorII
Looking at these regionals, seems to be some serious imbalance. Some regions seem very soft while others overly tough.

Florida makes the NCAA Tournament as the 11th SEC team selected. Sent to Oklahoma State and will play Nebraska in their first game.
Projections were to be in the Tallahassee regional as a 3 seed (if selected at all). I guess they decided to ship the Gators way out of our region. UF played an extremely tough schedule but with their abysmal pitching I'm surprised they got selected at all. Worst pitching I can ever remember.

Projections were to be in the Tallahassee regional as a 3 seed (if selected at all). I guess they decided to ship the Gators way out of our region. UF played an extremely tough schedule but with their abysmal pitching I'm surprised they got selected at all. Worst pitching I can ever remember.
Gators are going to have to bat .500 to make it anywhere close to Omaha. 😂

ESPN asked the committee chair specifically about Florida, he said we were rewarded for #1 strength of schedule. He said it's something other schools need to think about going forward. It helps that we play in the best conference for sure.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
After the 2016 season, the committee avoided FSU being in the Gainesville region only because UF ended their seasons in the super regional. Now they're placing UF in the Tallahassee region?

Real bummer about Yost. He was really coming on. He and Ty Evans are huge losses in the outfield. And we weren’t exactly swimming in depth to begin with.

Gators get great pitching from Peterson, Jameson & Neely and beat Nebraska 5-2. They play the winner of Oklahoma St./Niagra Saturday night at 7 pm, same time the softball team plays Texas.

I will have the softball game on the big screen, baseball game on my PC monitor.

Hats off to the kid from OSU, he was dominating. Only silver lining is OSU pitching not that great outside of him. They could be had twice. Need to get past Nebraska first.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Hats off to the kid from OSU, he was dominating. Only silver lining is OSU pitching not that great outside of him. They could be had twice. Need to get past Nebraska first.
Brian Holiday is excellent and probably their best, but Oklahoma State has 3 really good starters, plus their bullpen was not used at all yesterday. For us to win 3 in a row with our pitching issues is almost impossible.

Brian Holiday is excellent and probably their best, but Oklahoma State has 3 really good starters, plus their bullpen was not used at all yesterday. For us to win 3 in a row with our pitching issues is almost impossible.
I don't disagree with that. More about our inabilities candidly than what OSU does. My point was Holiday is the only dominating pitcher they have.

Game is on the SEC Network at 2 pm. Pierce Coppola, 0-4, 9.42 ERA starting for Florida.

Sully will need to bring in 10 new pitchers next season. Needs to hit the portal hard and fast. Check that, 2-0 They called the 2nd homer a foul ball.

Rain delay in the top of the 5th, Nebraska has a runner on 2nd, 2 outs, Gators up 7-4.

I like our chances against Okey State. I know they smoked us the other night but our bats have come alive.

Football score today. Hope the bats can stay hot tonight, and find someone on that pitching staff that can shock us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT