ADVERTISEMENT

What was FSU ex QB DeAndre Johnson doing in a gay bar when he hit that woman

You know, a world exists outside of orange and blue = good and garnet and gold = bad. You really should step outside and see it.
What, you don't believe your lying eyes? You didn't see him put his hands on her before she defended herself?

Most everyone else did.

The guy screwed himself. He was dealt with. End of story. Taking shots at FSU is nothing more than sour grapes.

Reactions: goldmom
He shouldn't have hit her. Period. Funny thing is she can take a punch better than the entire UM football team over the last 1,942 some odd days.

And again, that isn't to excuse him, I said both should be charged. But I mean seriously, she elbows the dude, raises her hand with a balled up fists and puts in his face and only then does he grab his arm to restrain her. Anybody in that situation would have done the same damn thing, and clearly he was right to make the assumption that she would punch him since she swings at him right after that. She was the aggressor and assaulted him. She deserves to be charged as much as he does. The double standard when it comes to domestic violence type issues is cringe worthy.

oozie, I know what you're saying but he could have done a lot of other things to restrain her and protect himself other than what he did

1. You deliberately or negligently missed where i stated "in this case." Every situation has different circumstances. Are there times when a man HAS to use "reasonable force" on a woman? Yes. In rare circumstances and sure as hell not here which leads me to #2...

2. Are you really taking the position he was acting in self defense?

1. Why not here? He doesn't know this chick from adam or who she has with her, behind, her, etc. She elbowed him, put a balled up fist in his face (which is clearly threatening) and then followed through on her threatening demeanor and swung first. Natural reaction by anyone would be to try to avoid the initial punch and counter back. In what world do you guys live in where someone is taking a swing at your head and you're just super calm, reasonable, and thinking through all possible situations? That's after the fact. In the moment, you react, protect yourself, and ask questions later. She wasn't a small chick.

2. Unless you've seen a different video from me, yea. What else would you call it? The chick hit him at least two times before he ever hit her. If she was a man you wouldn't be arguing he acted in self defense. Or are we making the argument that women's blows can't inflict damage now?

1. Why not here? He doesn't know this chick from adam or who she has with her, behind, her, etc. She elbowed him, put a balled up fist in his face (which is clearly threatening) and then followed through on her threatening demeanor and swung first. Natural reaction by anyone would be to try to avoid the initial punch and counter back. In what world do you guys live in where someone is taking a swing at your head and you're just super calm, reasonable, and thinking through all possible situations? That's after the fact. In the moment, you react, protect yourself, and ask questions later. She wasn't a small chick.

2. Unless you've seen a different video from me, yea. What else would you call it? The chick hit him at least two times before he ever hit her. If she was a man you wouldn't be arguing he acted in self defense. Or are we making the argument that women's blows can't inflict damage now?

How about just walking away from the confrontation? Is that so hard? Or is that not being man enough so instead you are more of a man if you take a swing back at her? If a women swung at my head yes I do live in a world where I can still think reasonably and remain calm and keep my composure without having to use my fists.
Now what world do you live in?

The video I saw showed him aggressively pulling on the woman's arm for several seconds. She appeared to raise her fist as a warning, but he kept tugging at her and she finally punched him.

I really don't see how she is at fault here. If she just walked up to him and started punching him, I'd be more sympathetic. Her punch was clearly provoked by him grabbing her and pulling on her arm.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but where I come from, a man who aggressively touches or grabs a woman can expect to get hit.

This post is full of ridiculousness. How many slaps, punches, or knees to the midsection should a man take to retain his man card by your criteria? And yes, under the law they should be treated the same, sorry if that rubs you the wrong way. Your attitude is exactly the reason women go around punching men and thinking it's all peachy because, hey, she's a woman bro. Everybody has a right to defend themselves against a physical attack, yes, even against a woman.

The ironic part is you think your attitude actually helps women when it does nothing but hurt them and it's sexist to boot. You're basically saying women are less than men in every way and should not be held accountable for their actions no matter how wrong they may be. Way to respect women, you think so little of them clearly.

There is such a thing as defending yourself without using a fist as well. I don't condone what she did one bit, but I don't condone what he did either. There are plenty of ways to handle that situation. He could have come out of that confrontation smelling like roses if he had half a brain. Instead he comes out looking just as bad as her. The both of them are should be put in jail.

Any man who lays his hands on a woman in an unkind way is no man at all in my view- Irrespective of offensive behavior.

The video I saw showed him aggressively pulling on the woman's arm for several seconds. She appeared to raise her fist as a warning, but he kept tugging at her and she finally punched him.

I'm telling you, I have no idea what video some of you guys watched but when was he grabbing and tugging her before she got aggressive??

5854EB16-8514-4DF3-98AA-10B557F0E1FF.png

That's DJ's right hand under the bar. She's literally trying to stop him from squeezing between her and the girl on the left. Eventually she puts her left foot in front of him to stop him from moving forward.

A87D68D5-6D78-4B6D-856F-276BA0D2CBF8.png

Both DJ's hands are now on the bar. Still no tugging her or grabbing her shoulders.

42275903-51A0-407B-8332-CE974D713121.png

And this is what started the contact. She steps in front of him, uses her left arm to push him away from the bar and has her fist ready to strike with the right hand. He really didn't do anything to provoke this. Of course he shouldn't have punched her but for guys to watch this video and say he's the aggressor is just not factual.

okay, folks, oozie has a point regarding the double standard. If this was a man, there is no discussion and Johnson is still a QB competing for a starting role on the FSU offense.

As for the video itself, let's break it down objectively.

- About 5 seconds in, the woman appears and makes her way to the bar.
- At 7 seconds she turns her head backwards towardo Johnson and says something to him. It appears he's being pushed into her by the crowd off camera behind him.
- At 14 seconds he places his right hand under the edge of the bar and appears to be pulling himself towards it. The woman again turns toward him and says something.
- At 16 seconds she completely turns around and balls up her fist.
- At 18 seconds Johnson grabs her fist and pulls it down (thus preventing her from striking him)
- At 20 seconds she knees him.
- At 21 seconds she punches him.
- At 23 seconds he punches her back and walks away.
- The entire event took place over a 23 second period at a bar.

We have no idea what verbal exchanges took place, but everyone is pretty quick to judge what they would and would not have done.

Could he have walked away at 21 seconds? Certainly. Oozie's point is, does he have to just because she's a woman.

EDIT: Looks like Dan summed it up the same time I was.

Last edited:
Any man who lays his hands on a woman in an unkind way is no man at all in my view- Irrespective of offensive behavior.

I guess the question is, at what point does a woman stop being a woman and simply an aggressor or combatant...one punch, two punches, three punches, combo of punch and kick? Honestly, I don't know. I've never really thought about it as I've never been in a situation like this.

What about military combat? What are the rules there? Does a woman stop being an "untouchable woman" if the force coming at you is deadly?

I have only seen one video which shows basically when all the action happened. If there's a video showing he was grabbing her before then I'll gladly change my opinion.

And you guys don't get it, I'm not saying he should have punched her in the face, but I'm not gonna jump on the other side and act like he's human filth either. The point I'm trying to make is, at what point is a man allowed to defend himself from a woman? Does he need to be punched 5 times? 10 times? 20 times? Sure he could have walked away, but if that was a man NOBODY would have that expectation and everyone would be fine with him defending himself. But because it's a woman her actions get excused and it's all on him, that to me is bullshit. I don't really care where you stand on it morally, I'm saying under the law she should be treated the same, that's my only point. They both should have picked up battery charges.

I have only seen one video which shows basically when all the action happened. If there's a video showing he was grabbing her before then I'll gladly change my opinion.

If there was such a video they would have posted it. It doesn't exist.

And you guys don't get it, I'm not saying he should have punched her in the face, but I'm not gonna jump on the other side and act like he's human filth either. The point I'm trying to make is, at what point is a man allowed to defend himself from a woman? Does he need to be punched 5 times? 10 times? 20 times? Sure he could have walked away, but if that was a man NOBODY would have that expectation and everyone would be fine with him defending himself. But because it's a woman her actions get excused and it's all on him, that to me is bullshit. I don't really care where you stand on it morally, I'm saying under the law she should be treated the same, that's my only point. They both should have picked up battery charges.
Solid argument. That's my question too. Why weren't equal charges brought?

The ironic part is you think your attitude actually helps women when it does nothing but hurt them and it's sexist to boot. You're basically saying women are less than men in every way and should not be held accountable for their actions no matter how wrong they may be. Way to respect women, you think so little of them clearly.

I've always found the white knighting for women strange for this very reason. If you say anything that even suggests a woman may have made mistakes that ultimately led to a negative outcome you are labelled a misogynist. Yet, those same people that cry misogyny are kind of infantilizing women. It's a strange little dichotomy.

This is what you posted earlier:

"The video I saw showed him aggressively pulling on the woman's arm for several seconds. She appeared to raise her fist as a warning, but he kept tugging at her and she finally punched him."

Now at what point is he "aggressively pulling" on her arms for several seconds before she raised her fist?? I posted the still photos that clearly shows his hands on the bar. Nothing you posted is consistent with the video.

Looking at it again... it does seem like she was pretty confrontational at first -- more than I remembered when I last viewed the video. She seems like a big, drunk, annoying woman.

That doesn't excuse him punching her in the face, though. Her "punch" was a drunken, girly-tantrum punch that barely grazed him. I guess you could argue that she could get his with some kind of charge, but her punishment was getting clocked in the head by a guy who throws footballs for a living.

At the end of the day, he's being hit with a misdemeanor, not a felony.

I don't know about you guys, but I saw 2 winners in life in that video. 3 if you count the shirtless guy in the cutoff overalls

I think one's reaction to the video depends greatly on the point that they start it. The version I previously saw started after he was holding onto her arm, so it seemed like he was just grabbing her arm. The full video gives a bit more context.

The fact that she threw the first punch -- even if it wasn't much of a punch -- was probably taken into consideration by Meggs. That's why this was a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

The fact that she threw the first punch -- even if it wasn't much of a punch -- was probably taken into consideration by Meggs. That's why this was a misdemeanor instead of a felony.

Has nothing to do with it being a misdemeanor charge. It's a misdemeanor because she didn't suffer any serious or permanent injuries. For a felony charge you need permanent disfigurement or some other form of great bodily harm.

If someone punches you and gives you a black eye it's a misdemeanor. If someone punches you and shatters your jaw and forces you to undergo reconstructive surgery it's a felony (assuming intent). Johnson was appropriately charged.

She was allegedly shouting racial slurs at him as well.
Hmmm I wonder why that didn't come out in any of the original police reports and statements provided by Johnson or witnesses??? Did he just remember that detail all of a sudden?

Hmmm I wonder why that didn't come out in any of the original police reports and statements provided by Johnson or witnesses??? Did he just remember that detail all of a sudden?

Who knows...it's an irrelevant point regarding equal accountability/treatment. The question remains, why wasn't she charged?

Who knows...it's an irrelevant point regarding equal accountability/treatment. The question remains, why wasn't she charged?

Meggs claimed in his interview that she wasn't charged because she didn't strike Johnson. When the host of the show pointed out that she threw a punch Meggs said that it missed. Seems like a strange argument to me, but I understand that Meggs isn't going to go on national television and claim that he didn't charge the female due to political correctness. The girl should have been charged with misdemeanor assault and Johnson should have been charged with misdemeanor battery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT