ADVERTISEMENT

So, ummm that new staff recruiting bump that always happens...

This is spot on, but because we have egg on our face because we mishandled Muschamp and his DC gig at AU was a bigger splash hire to recruits than us hiring Coach Mac people feel the need to revise history. Nuss was good when Bama had the best RB, OL and D in the nation, as soon as that faded and Gus arrived requiring Bama to create some offense Nuss was looking for work.

So are you saying that under Saban with Kiffin they didn't have as much talent on offense as they did when Nuss was the OC? LOL. Faded? Really?

If you were one of the top receivers or running backs in the country, there are probably 10 or 11 schools right now in the southeast alone that have more to offer than us (Coaching, facilities, contender status, etc.)

Auburn
Bama
Georgia
FSU
Clemson
Tennessee
A&M
Mizzou
South Carolina
LSU
Ole Miss
MSU

And there's probably more, but you get the point. Our recruiting won't improve anytime soon. All we can do is hope these lumps of coal can turn into diamonds

This is spot on, but because we have egg on our face because we mishandled Muschamp and his DC gig at AU was a bigger splash hire to recruits than us hiring Coach Mac people feel the need to revise history. Nuss was good when Bama had the best RB, OL and D in the nation, as soon as that faded and Gus arrived requiring Bama to create some offense Nuss was looking for work.

Coach Mac may very well coach his way out of this hole, but this thread is about the lack of a year 2 recruiting bump, and sans Grier being the next Danny or Tim and overcoming our OL and WR deficiencies, we may not see the normal year 2 recruiting bump.

I loved the jump Mac took with the offense from year 1 to 2 at CSU but if people are thinking the offense this year will be what gets offensive recruits on board I think they may be disappointed. Most things point to it being pretty pedestrian again and as far as Grier saving the offense I just don't see him making a huge difference over Harris after watching some practice videos. I do think we will make a nice jump in the 2nd year but Mac will have to get the recruits to have some faith for this upcoming class probably.

And this is the vicious cycle some fear we could get caught in. It is discussed in this thread
OK.....so what are/were you expecting this staff to accomplish in terms of changing the minds of elite Florida and/or offensive talent during the spring and summer? I understand the concern, but realistically what is going to convince a 4 or 5-star WR or RB to make or switch a verbal commitment now, when Mac has yet to take the field as HC?

Reactions: GatorGray
OK.....so what are/were you expecting this staff to accomplish in terms of changing the minds of elite Florida and/or offensive talent during the spring and summer? I understand the concern, but realistically what is going to convince a 4 or 5-star WR or RB to make or switch a verbal commitment now, when Mac has yet to take the field as HC?

Nothing, but if we go out and run the ball 65% of the time, throw a few 3 yard passes to TE and win 5-7 games, nothing will change. Then next year, DRob leaves so we struggle again, and the cycle begins.

OK....but what if running the ball 65% of the time and throwing short passes to the TE gives us the best chance to win? Would throwing the ball 65% of the time really generate that much more interest in skill player talent if we finish 4-8?

Don't get me wrong.....I prefer an aggressive O stretching the D horizontally and vertically....vintage fun n gun. But the consensus is our offensive line and QB are unknowns at best heading into this season.

OK....but what if running the ball 65% of the time and throwing short passes to the TE gives us the best chance to win? Would throwing the ball 65% of the time really generate that much more interest in skill player talent if we finish 4-8?

Don't get me wrong.....I prefer an aggressive O stretching the D horizontally and vertically....vintage fun n gun. But the consensus is our offensive line and QB are unknowns at best heading into this season.

You are not wrong, just demonstrating why this is a huge hole to dig out of

If you were one of the top receivers or running backs in the country, there are probably 10 or 11 schools right now in the southeast alone that have more to offer than us (Coaching, facilities, contender status, etc.)

Auburn
Bama
Georgia
FSU
Clemson
Tennessee
A&M
Mizzou
South Carolina
LSU
Ole Miss
MSU

And there's probably more, but you get the point. Our recruiting won't improve anytime soon. All we can do is hope these lumps of coal can turn into diamonds

I agree with you with the first 4, and A&M and LSU, but the others, NO.
The real predicament here is how does our offense get better if we don't have the elite players to run it? It kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. How can we expect our offense to be that much better with the offensive line we're going to have this year? Personally, I think our offense will be better than it has been the last 4 years but I don't see it being prolific, somebody has to buy into he vision of what the offense can be in the future with Coach Mac at the helm.

That's sort of the delicate balance the staff will have to manage now. The issue is we NEED to showcase an exciting offense to get the top guys to give us a look. We're working on 5 years of offense in the 100's. But we simply don't have the talent right now to have anything but a bad offense, especially with this o-line situation. AT BEST we might be mediocre or below average. So the top guys won't really have anything convincing them to come, not anything on the field anyway. Mac is just gonna have to be a hell of a salesman to work his way out of this funk because if we don't sign a solid class of skill talent this year this offense won't be good for the next 3 years when you consider our best players like Taylor, D-Rob, McGee, etc. will be leaving after this year. We're right on the edge ATM.

That's sort of the delicate balance the staff will have to manage now. The issue is we NEED to showcase an exciting offense to get the top guys to give us a look. We're working on 5 years of offense in the 100's. But we simply don't have the talent right now to have anything but a bad offense, especially with this o-line situation. AT BEST we might be mediocre or below average. So the top guys won't really have anything convincing them to come, not anything on the field anyway. Mac is just gonna have to be a hell of a salesman to work his way out of this funk because if we don't sign a solid class of skill talent this year this offense won't be good for the next 3 years when you consider our best players like Taylor, D-Rob, McGee, etc. will be leaving after this year. We're right on the edge ATM.

That is scary when you look at it that way. I hope we are just thinking many kids must see the production on the field first because unless the O line really surprises and gets lucky with injuries etc. that isn't likely to happen this season. In prior years new coaches on teams that were established previously got the benefit of the doubt by recruits prior to seeing it on the field - I hope that hasn't totally changed now.

That is scary when you look at it that way. I hope we are just thinking many kids must see the production on the field first because unless the O line really surprises and gets lucky with injuries etc. that isn't likely to happen this season. In prior years new coaches on teams that were established previously got the benefit of the doubt by recruits prior to seeing it on the field - I hope that hasn't totally changed now.

Thats the problem, to the top recruits he has nothing to sell because lets face it, kids in the southeast really don't care what happened at CSU. Like oozie said, if he can't just flat out sell it, this thing isn't turning around. It is why Foley took a huge gamble on this hire, especially with the roster we had.

Last edited:
I've had enough of your act. E-mail me in a month if you want to come back, and you think you can do something other than bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The No. 1 QB in the State for 2017, Jake Allen, just committed to the Gators.

Yebbit, yebbit /The Troll Patrol

2017? Get back to me on Jan 1 2017 with this. Then maybe I can have some confidence it will stick.

I swear these commitments from kindergarteners are ridiculous.

Reactions: GSMBrefugee
2017? Get back to me on Jan 1 2017 with this. Then maybe I can have some confidence it will stick.

I swear these commitments from kindergarteners are ridiculous.

I usually agree with this, but this kid seems like a Gator lock and even visited a few others just to be sure

Last edited:
And right on cue.

0307210.jpg

Reactions: passoverGator
We just got a big time QB commit and all some can do is still complain. Jake Allen is one of the best QBs in the country for the 2017 class.

Reactions: GatorGray
You guys are way too sensitive. DeathRoll is one of the more positive posters here. He's right to not be concerned about 2017 commits. One, early commits rarely stick. Two, it's two years away. Three, they can't help us on the field for two years at a minimum. It's good we got him but it's hardly worth throwing a party over, good lord people sack up.

Nuss was good when Bama had the best RB, OL and D in the nation, as soon as that faded and Gus arrived requiring Bama to create some offense Nuss was looking for work.

You mean good coaches look better when they have a lot of talent? Damn, I wish someone had informed Muschamp of this tidbit of wisdom!

This is such a stupid argument. Of course coaches look good when they have good players. Spurrier went to and won the SECCG when he had elite players. The next coupla years, with less talented players were not as successful.

Last edited:
You guys are way too sensitive. DeathRoll is one of the more positive posters here. He's right to not be concerned about 2017 commits. One, early commits rarely stick. Two, it's two years away. Three, they can't help us on the field for two years at a minimum. It's good we got him but it's hardly worth throwing a party over, good lord people sack up.

The same people complaining because people are critquing the 2016 class in July are the ones ready to bet the farm because we recruited a kid who hasn't played his JUNIOR year of high school yet, I mean come on people!

Reactions: Deathroll

Bingo. I see the usual suspects are whining right on cue.

Great that he committed and all. I hope it sticks. It is a HELLUVA long way between now and then. He hasn't even played his JUNIOR season yet much less his senior season. Maybe he'll be the greatest QB prospect in the history of recruiting by then. Maybe he won't even be considered a legit prospect by then. Maybe he'll stick but its almost certain he will at least look hard elsewhere. Its ridiculously early to be making any assumptions about a guy who just finished his Sophomore year of high school.

Reactions: Michi-Gator
The same people complaining because people are critquing the 2016 class in July are the ones ready to bet the farm because we recruited a kid who hasn't played his JUNIOR year of high school yet, I mean come on people!

Yea definitely being a hypocrite there. Talk down to people for critiquing the 2016 class way too early, but then get super excited about a class TWO years from now, that's the definition of early. At least be consistent.

Yes clearly only a troll would have compiled a decade by decade history of the Gators complete with pics. That's the kind of thing trolls do all the time.

f23ptl_th.jpg

I love how people get hurt because posters on a message board dare to view things without Blue and Orange glasses on. Same people now as all through the Mustdump Era. Some people enjoy looking at and breaking things down and just not simply calling everything the greatest just because its happening with the Gators. I haven't seen anyone say the majority of what Mac has done is not refreshing to see. What I have seen is people who worry because recruits from in-state aren't flocking here. People who realize our hire had much less splash than the Harbaugh hire or the hiring of Champ as Auburn DC. Our past two coaches are recruiting the state's top players more effectively than we are right now. Could that change, sure. Could that hurt, sure. To some it is simply the dislike for the 'instant gratification' era. But, fair or not, that isn't changing. When guys like Meyer, Harbaugh and Saban flip programs overnight, that is the expectation of all major programs. So yes, Mac goes under the spotlight from the word go, welcome to sports in 2015.

Yea definitely being a hypocrite there. Talk down to people for critiquing the 2016 class way too early, but then get super excited about a class TWO years from now, that's the definition of early. At least be consistent.

If simply posting that a QB committed is deemed "Super Excited", then you need to get out more Oz.

If simply posting that a QB committed is deemed "Super Excited", then you need to get out more Oz.

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you my man, you're one of my favorite posters here. I'm just saying, it's a slow time right now. So I don't think it's too early to discuss any concern about our class, just like I don't think it's too early to be excited about Allen. It's all discussion.

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you my man, you're one of my favorite posters here. I'm just saying, it's a slow time right now. So I don't think it's too early to discuss any concern about our class, just like I don't think it's too early to be excited about Allen. It's all discussion.

I agree. My point is, I simply posted that he had committed. No emotion was inferred. In fact here it is:

The No. 1 QB in the State for 2017, Jake Allen, just committed to the Gators.

Yebbit, yebbit /The Troll Patrol

But overall, relax about the status of the class. The coaching staff is still relationship building. If come Nov/Dec we are still lagging, then get concerned. Now? meh.

All good man. Who is our QB gonna be for this class? It's definitely a need, we can't go two straight years with no QB signed.

I agree. Actually we need to bring in TWO this year since we will likely lose one of Harris or Grier. The thing with QBs is you have to get to them early these days as they tend to commit so soon. They will likely have to flip them and I am sure that they are in the ear of several. They almost flipped Francois last year, but were just too late to the party.

I agree. Actually we need to bring in TWO this year since we will likely lose one of Harris or Grier. The thing with QBs is you have to get to them early these days as they tend to commit so soon. They will likely have to flip them and I am sure that they are in the ear of several. They almost flipped Francois last year, but were just too late to the party.

That's actually a good point, I said one with the assumption Grier and Harris would still be here. But yea loser likely transfers out so we'll have Grier and (blank) next year if we don't sign at least two.

That's actually a good point, I said one with the assumption Grier and Harris would still be here. But yea loser likely transfers out so we'll have Grier and (blank) next year if we don't sign at least two.

Allen committ will hurt with this years QB class. I was hoping to flip Felipe Franks

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris ends up starting more games than Grier this season considering our offensive situation.

I love how people get hurt because posters on a message board dare to view things without Blue and Orange glasses on. Same people now as all through the Mustdump Era. Some people enjoy looking at and breaking things down and just not simply calling everything the greatest just because its happening with the Gators. I haven't seen anyone say the majority of what Mac has done is not refreshing to see. What I have seen is people who worry because recruits from in-state aren't flocking here. People who realize our hire had much less splash than the Harbaugh hire or the hiring of Champ as Auburn DC. Our past two coaches are recruiting the state's top players more effectively than we are right now. Could that change, sure. Could that hurt, sure. To some it is simply the dislike for the 'instant gratification' era. But, fair or not, that isn't changing. When guys like Meyer, Harbaugh and Saban flip programs overnight, that is the expectation of all major programs. So yes, Mac goes under the spotlight from the word go, welcome to sports in 2015.
How come Harbaughs recruiting class at Michigan isn't really any better than UFs? Especially since you seem to think Harbaugh was a big splash hire. Shouldn't Harbaugh be killing it on the recruiting trail? Just admit that more often than not your either fishing or don't have any idea what your talking about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT