ADVERTISEMENT

So, ummm that new staff recruiting bump that always happens...

Hopefully McElwain being here can really help the offense out but I didn't like the OC hire at all.

I give MCE the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, but I will say that one of the criticisms of Muschamp was that he was trying to install the 'Bama offense at a time when the best SEC offenses, including 'Bama's, were spreading people out. I came around to be pretty enthusiastic about the MCE hire, but I didn't like the Nuss hire.

I do fully understand your point. But when Bama was moving away from the Muschamp love Bama offense and spreading it out...Nuss had a hand in that as did McE.

So if Bama was changing they were changing with two coaches on our staff. One of which you don't like.

I do fully understand your point. But when Bama was moving away from the Muschamp love Bama offense and spreading it out...Nuss had a hand in that as did McE.

So if Bama was changing they were changing with two coaches on our staff. One of which you don't like.

What? When Mac was at Bama was when they were ultra-conservative. And Nuss was encouraged to look for work BECAUSE Saban wanted to move to an uptempo, spread out offense which is why he brought Kiffin in.

So, no.

What? When Mac was at Bama was when they were ultra-conservative. And Nuss was encouraged to look for work BECAUSE Saban wanted to move to an uptempo, spread out offense which is why he brought Kiffin in.

So, no.

I just remember looking at Nuss's offenses for the past few years and they were pretty run heavy - about on par with Muschamp. McElwain as head coach at CSU did go to an opened up shot gun offense in years 2 and 3 after being mostly under center in the 1st year.

I think it's safe to say most weren't enamoured with the Nuss hire. We are left to hope that Mac plays a role in keeping the offense unpredictable and hopefully effective. Sadly, I'm actually excited at the possibility that our offense may be merely competent, as that will be a signifigant improvement.

I think it's safe to say most weren't enamoured with the Nuss hire. We are left to hope that Mac plays a role in keeping the offense unpredictable and hopefully effective. Sadly, I'm actually excited at the possibility that our offense may be merely competent, as that will be a signifigant improvement.

We haven't been competent on Offense since 2009. It would be my wet dream that we field a competent Offense this year. Hell I'd still be pretty happy if we fielded a competent Offense next year. After 4 years of Chump ball, my standards have been lowered that much.

Reactions: MJWilliamson

So, no.

All of that is well documented here. Many times.
For 3 years I have read one of the biggest knocks on Muschamp was his meddling. That I totally agree with you on...however some stuff some of you all talk circles and chase your own tail.
-Years ago folks (myself included) hated how Muschamp wanted to be a ground and pound Line of Scrimmage team. How wanted to be a Bama type team.
-Couple of years before Kiff was even thought of being an OC at Bama folks on here and other forums were talking about how Bama were getting away from the traditional power game and spreading the ball around more. I remember reading those type statements in 2013 and 2014.
-So who was around when Bama was getting away from the typical Bama? It wasn't Kiffin. He has only coached at Bama for one season.
-Who is the most successful QB in modern day Bama times? AJ McCarron.
-What two OCs did McCarron enjoy his success under? Lane Kiffin? Hell no.
-Please don't get on here and acting like Lane damn Kiffin is the hero of Bama's offensive success.
-Bama choked last year in the playoffs correct? Lane was the OC.
-When Bama choked in 2014 it wasn't the offense. It was a fluke play Auburn pulled out of their rear end. Besides being a fluke play some blame Saban for calling for that kick, as well as not having any speed on the field to defend the return of the missed FG.
-Muss should take zero blame for Bama choking that year
-Kiff should take some blame for Bama choking last year.

Bama's offense choke against OSU last year? Didn't they score 35 in that game?

Lane Kiffin's offense last year was light years better than Nuss or Mac's ever was at Bama, period. And that was with a first year QB.

All of that is well documented here. Many times.
For 3 years I have read one of the biggest knocks on Muschamp was his meddling. That I totally agree with you on...however some stuff some of you all talk circles and chase your own tail.
-Years ago folks (myself included) hated how Muschamp wanted to be a ground and pound Line of Scrimmage team. How wanted to be a Bama type team.
-Couple of years before Kiff was even thought of being an OC at Bama folks on here and other forums were talking about how Bama were getting away from the traditional power game and spreading the ball around more. I remember reading those type statements in 2013 and 2014.
-So who was around when Bama was getting away from the typical Bama? It wasn't Kiffin. He has only coached at Bama for one season.
-Who is the most successful QB in modern day Bama times? AJ McCarron.
-What two OCs did McCarron enjoy his success under? Lane Kiffin? Hell no.
-Please don't get on here and acting like Lane damn Kiffin is the hero of Bama's offensive success.
-Bama choked last year in the playoffs correct? Lane was the OC.
-When Bama choked in 2014 it wasn't the offense. It was a fluke play Auburn pulled out of their rear end. Besides being a fluke play some blame Saban for calling for that kick, as well as not having any speed on the field to defend the return of the missed FG.
-Muss should take zero blame for Bama choking that year
-Kiff should take some blame for Bama choking last year.

No one is talking performance Sparky, but a change away from the overly conservative philosophy and play calling under Nuss. Nuss was not the guy to lead Bama into a more uptempo, aggressive offensive era. So Saban helped him choose to move on. Its a philosophical change. And you talk McCarron, why is Julio Jones outspoken about his under utilization as a member of the Tide under which two OCs, not Kiffin?

I hope we get to see the offense from CSU, however nothing in the hiring of coaches, recruiting, etc to this point really points to anything other than an extension of what Chump was trying to do. Makes me really wonder when Folley said, "The fans want offense and I hear what they are saying."

Bama's offense choke against OSU last year? Didn't they score 35 in that game?

Lane Kiffin's offense last year was light years better than Nuss or Mac's ever was at Bama, period. And that was with a first year QB.

Just an FYI but the most TD passes ever thrown by the starting QB in a single year at Alabama happened when Nuss was the OC at Bama (2012). McCarron threw 30 TDs in 2012 and 28 TDs in 2013. The highest QB rating in a single season in Alabama history also happened with Nussmeir as Bama's OC (2012).

Just an FYI but the most TD passes ever thrown by the starting QB in a single year at Alabama happened when Nuss was the OC at Bama (2012). McCarron threw 30 TDs in 2012 and 28 TDs in 2013. The highest QB rating in a single season in Alabama history also happened with Nussmeir as Bama's OC (2012).

Yeah, got that. Who's record did they break? Brody Croyle? John Parker Wilson? or was it one of the the prehistoric era Bama QBs before them?

Yeah, got that. Who's record did they break? Brody Croyle? John Parker Wilson? or was it one of the the prehistoric era Bama QBs before them?

I'm just saying. The Alabama program has been pretty successful. All this talk about how conservative Nuss is yet his QB threw more TD passes and a better QB rating than even under Kiffin's offense at Bama.

Whatever the success was in 2012, Saban decided to go in a new direction with his offense, while we spent the last four years trying to replicate it. I don't think MCE is going to continue that trend, but I understand the concern.

I'm just saying. The Alabama program has been pretty successful. All this talk about how conservative Nuss is yet his QB threw more TD passes and a better QB rating than even under Kiffin's offense at Bama.

The Alabama program wasn't put on the map by Steve Spurrier and high powered offense. The bar is there, if you aren't going to score in bunches you best win, and win damn near every game. Zook and Chump were under fire early because their offenses sucked. Chump went 11-2 and faced fire. Meyer caught hell in 2010 with 2 NCs and consecutive 13-1 seasons because his offense sucked. To think UF fans are going to sit and watch 8-4 seasons of '3 yards and a punt' is flat out wrong. Fair or not, Spurrier set a bar, no one, as has been proven, is lowering it.

The Alabama program wasn't put on the map by Steve Spurrier and high powered offense. The bar is there, if you aren't going to score in bunches you best win, and win damn near every game. Zook and Chump were under fire early because their offenses sucked. Chump went 11-2 and faced fire. Meyer caught hell in 2010 with 2 NCs and consecutive 13-1 seasons because his offense sucked. To think UF fans are going to sit and watch 8-4 seasons of '3 yards and a punt' is flat out wrong. Fair or not, Spurrier set a bar, no one, as has been proven, is lowering it.

I get it, but not even Spurrier himself as really put too many good offenses on the field at South Carolina. UF fans wouldn't be happy with scoring 40 points a game and finishing 8-4 either.

I get it, but not even Spurrier himself as really put too many good offenses on the field at South Carolina. UF fans wouldn't be happy with scoring 40 points a game and finishing 8-4 either.

Happy, no. More patient, yes. If we have an unproductive offense this year the clamoring will begin, you know it and I know it. Is what it is, and no one is going to change it.

Mac is in an odd position. If Foley chooses to step down or move on in the next couple years, Mac has to endear himself quickly or he will fall prey to a new AD wanting his guy.

Happy, no. More patient, yes. If we have an unproductive offense this year the clamoring will begin, you know it and I know it. Is what it is, and no one is going to change it.

Mac is in an odd position. If Foley chooses to step down or move on in the next couple years, Mac has to endear himself quickly or he will fall prey to a new AD wanting his guy.

Unless he falls totally flat on his face in the first two seasons....CJM will be around for at least four years, imo. This will give him time to fill the roster with mostly his players, the infrastructure in place he has requested, and his system fully integrated within the program. The results of season 3 and certainly by season 4 will decide his fate. Heck, even Muschamp was kept around after his third season, although that was somewhat 'forgiven' by Foley due to the better than expected results of the previous season. Unless there is a huge conflict of interest...I doubt the UF supporters would want to pay another buyout to can their coach after only a couple of season, although stranger things have happened.

LMFAO...Coach Mac hasn't even started his first season. So far he has saved the recruiting class from the last coach, has brought in several OL men that can play now and a LB to help fill holes, and has over a dozen commits for his first season (like 5 are early enrollments). All of this he's done BEFORE his first season and ALREADY there is a thread about a non recruiting bump by the new coach?!? Jesus people...give the man at least a full season and recruiting class before you start to judge. Then try and judge him on what the situation is. Lawd...this is hilarious to me! lol I think that Coach Mac and his staff are doing a fantastic job considering we are a bad team and it's been years since we have been good. These kids that are about to graduate this next year were barely in middle school when we were a great team...so yeah we are fighting an uphill battle right now and I think that the staff is going a great job so far. Also I've seeing a lot of bitching about being like Bama and I can say this...if we can be like Bama then that would be awesome because they win almost every freaking game that they play and they are THE team to beat every year over the last 6 or 7 years. I don't care what kind of offense we run or what type of players we have....Fing win and I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Don't you guys think that's a gross oversimplification of the thread? At the time the thread was made, we weren't going well in recruiting by any measure. Of the top 25 kids in our state, we had like one committed and less than 10 recruits committed in total. That's atypical of the recruiting 'bump' that new coaches at big time programs typically get, which was the point of the thread. Nobody is calling Mac's recruiting a failure or anything like that. It was people wondering (rightly) why we didn't seem to be having any momentum in recruiting with a new staff. Can we not discuss anything without it being characterized as staff bashing?

This is the key phrase. Lot of recruiting has been done since then, both to help this year and for 2016. So GN79's admonition is a good one.

Not really, it's after the fact. It would be more appropriate if someone made a thread now questioning recruiting. At the time, any worries were completely legitimate. Because we're doing better now doesn't mean the worries then were any less on target.

Not really, it's after the fact. It would be more appropriate if someone made a thread now questioning recruiting. At the time, any worries were completely legitimate. Because we're doing better now doesn't mean the worries then were any less on target.
I think this post demonstrates a bit of a logical flaw.

First contention; "Recruiting is going terrible!" ---at the time it was, Mac's ability to salvage 2015 not with standing

Now that Mac has 2105 bodies where there were none, that fear is not eliminated, but it is a bit mollified. Plus I think 2016 has picked up a bit since the OP?

So, things have gotten better, not worse or stayed the same.

Still some concerns? Of course. But less.

The fact remains that to this point....

1. UF is not among the favorites for many of the top players in the state if Florida

2. UF continues to struggle to attract top offensive skill position players

The fact remains that to this point....

1. UF is not among the favorites for many of the top players in the state if Florida

2. UF continues to struggle to attract top offensive skill position players
I do not expect to see much positive movement on either count until at least midseason. Put an offense that is demonstrably more competent and productive on the field than Muschampball and we'll generate more interest with those recruits.

I do not expect to see much positive movement on either count until at least midseason. Put an offense that is demonstrably more competent and productive on the field than Muschampball and we'll generate more interest with those recruits.

What if it isn't much better this season? I hope we can pick up recruiting besides that as just like with Mac's first year at CSU this offense will be very pedestrian looking at the O line situation and other things. I know its a long way off from signing day but I don't understand us not having more of the top Florida guys as the 2nd recruiting class was pulling in a bunch of top targets early I think the last few coaching changes.

I don't really remember Zooks offenses sucking that much

I just remember Zook's offenses being frustrating usually getting some yards but not scoring that great. I think we did score decent in his last year however.

Alabama's wide receivers lined up in 3 point stances until what, 1997? And Kiffin's offense was better, sorry. TD passes and QB rating are not the only factors to consider when comparing offenses. There's a reason why the best coach in college football shipped Nuss off to Michigan

I just remember Zook's offenses being frustrating usually getting some yards but not scoring that great. I think we did score decent in his last year however.
Scoring points, especially in '03 &'04 wasn't so much a problem as lack of discipline and late-game meltdowns. We were leading late in the 4th in 3 of the 4 regular season losses in '03.

2002 was an adjustment after losing several underclassmen off the offense. Plus Rex threw quite a few pick 6s that year.

Alabama's wide receivers lined up in 3 point stances until what, 1997? And Kiffin's offense was better, sorry. TD passes and QB rating are not the only factors to consider when comparing offenses. There's a reason why the best coach in college football shipped Nuss off to Michigan

Scoring offense is what matters and the 2 best years at Alabama since 2008 were the 2 years that Nussmeier was the OC

Reactions: 46885
Yet no major offers? Its odd.

I think it was due to Bama just having such a great O line and a high talent level. They would get wide open guys on many of those play action passes those years due to that running game being so great because of that O line. They weren't running anything creative I remember. I just hope McElwain keeps him in check and is running a lot of it because it looked like Muschamp's mess at Michigan this past season when he had a talent deficit like he is probably looking at here the first season..

I think it was due to Bama just having such a great O line and a high talent level. They would get wide open guys on many of those play action passes those years due to that running game being so great because of that O line. They weren't running anything creative I remember. I just hope McElwain keeps him in check and is running a lot of it because it looked like Muschamp's mess at Michigan this past season when he had a talent deficit like he is probably looking at here the first season..

This is spot on, but because we have egg on our face because we mishandled Muschamp and his DC gig at AU was a bigger splash hire to recruits than us hiring Coach Mac people feel the need to revise history. Nuss was good when Bama had the best RB, OL and D in the nation, as soon as that faded and Gus arrived requiring Bama to create some offense Nuss was looking for work.

Coach Mac may very well coach his way out of this hole, but this thread is about the lack of a year 2 recruiting bump, and sans Grier being the next Danny or Tim and overcoming our OL and WR deficiencies, we may not see the normal year 2 recruiting bump.

And this is the vicious cycle some fear we could get caught in. It is discussed in this thread

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT