ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Panic??

I just don't like all of the excuses. Mac will be a great recruiter "when the facilities are all completed." Mac will be a great recruiter "when we show more on offense." Mac will be..." These excuses ignore the fact that we have more than enough to sell right now in order to get elite talent.
Mac lost his QB and that killed UF chances of finishing the season strong! IF fsu would have lost their rapist they also would have floundered! UF is building depth with good players and will contend for the East next year. It takes time to build a Championship team when its been depleted before Mac arrived.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Some more recruit ranking misses: (per their 2016 Spring Game performances)
Maybe they should rank the classes a second time, 2 to 4 years later. o_O
But they'll never do that imo, because of how bad they'd look if they did.

TE-H C'yontai Lewis 2-3 star -- Led the team with 5 receptions for 79 yds, 1 TD.

OLB/SS/QB Kylan Johnson 2-3 star - Led the team with 8 Tkl's, 6 Solo, 1 QB-H, 1 Int

QB-PP Kyle Trask 2 star - There’s no doubting his pure passing ability and he showed it in the spring game, easily outperforming fellow true Fr. and highly-touted 4 star recruit Feleipe Franks. - Zach-A.
Bonus - Trask looks a lot like a faster Tebow when he pulls it down and runs on a scramble. - iG

DE Keivonnis Davis 6-4 225 ** Miami --> UF roster 6-4 244 So, had a Spring game sack.
DE Luke Ancrum 6-5 230 ** Sebring ---> UF roster 6-5 257 rsFr, had a Spring game sack.
DE Jabari Zuniga 6-3 265 *** Marietta, Ga --> UF roster 6-3 240 rsFr, had a Spring game sack.

All 3 of them will see playing time in 2016 at DE or OLB, (RUSH), and they will eventually be the future starters imo.
They are (by far) not the only recruit ranking misses imoho....o_O

Recruiting services = Class Rankings (mostly meaningless except as off-season fodder)
Coaches (10-4) W/L Record = The meaningful demonstration of recruiting and coaching.

Kirby's transition class? How many kids actually committed to Smart after he was hired? How many of those kids that did commit to Smart were already heavy UGA leans?

All this talk about UGA having elite talent. Hello!!! They've had elite talent for years when Richt was the coach. It's comical about all this talk about UGA being loaded, etc. When have they not have tons of talent?

Reactions: instaGATOR
And I seem to remember a certain HBC back in the 1990's making a comment on UGly's 'every year' recruiting prowess.... :D

I don't think you can get out-recruited year after year and win consistently. That mentioned, my feel-good theory lol, is that the program was in such shambles it's taking an extra year for Mac to get a top 5 class. That should be this year - /crossing fingers :)

I don't think you can get out-recruited year after year and win consistently. :)

Maybe you should review why SOS made the comment that I mentioned above? ;)

Edit: Here, let me help with that quote I was referring to:

"Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great (recruit ranking) players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?" - SOS --- chomp :D chomp

Last edited:
Kirby is crushing it in recruiting for the Class of 2017 right now. He has more the double the amount of committs that we have and 5 are 4-star. I don't know if he'll be a great coach but he is looking like a top-notch recruiter right out of the gate.

Kirby has some things going for him.

He's an UGA grad, he has, for years now, been considered the heir apparent to Saban at Bama, and to be fair, he didn't have to do much work to get the class he did this year.

The other factors I mentioned explain the boost for 2017.

Now, as for Mac...I would say that we are in an odd position.

He came in and took a terrible class with like 6 guys in it and made it a top 25 class. Then, last year, he seemed to plan on a mediocre year and started taking guys very early (compare the amount of commits at this time).

Then, the last half of the season was a disaster and really killed a lot of momentum for recruiting late.

Now, we find ourselves holding off a little bit and after 6 years of awful to mediocre offense, lots of kids just aren't buying into it, regardless of the message.

I do think we will have a much better year than the room and gloomers are anticipating.

ESPN has UF with 3 out of 4 recruits being 4 stars, but all 4 are ESPN Top 300's.

Rivals has UF with 3 out of 4 recruits being 4 stars, but not the same 3 as ESPN's.

ESPN #1 TE-H Kemore Gamble 6-4 216 **** 81 (1 above 80, 4 stars)
Rivals #27 WR Kemore Gamble 6-3 220 *** 5.7 (.1 below 5.8, 4 stars)
~ UF recruited him as a TE, which was also his choice.

ESPN #31 OT Kadeem Telfort 6-7 300 *** 79 (1 below 80, 4 stars)
Rivals #23 OT Kadeem Telfort 6-6 323 **** 5.8

They sort of agree on these two, at least that they're both 4 stars.

ESPN #5 QB-PP Jake Allen 6-4 204 **** 81 (1 above 80, 4 stars) Elite 11 Invite
Rivals #7 QB-PP Jake Allen 6-3 204 **** 5.8

ESPN #8 WR Daquon Green 6-1 186 **** 84 (4 above 80, 4 stars)
Rivals #30 WR Daquon Green 6-1 192 **** 5.8

Take your own biased pick on who you want to believe.
Or you can take the average (consensus) guess of the combined ranking twits.
Personally, with that much and kinds of variation, I don't see there being any consensus.
==============

Or even better yet, ignore the stars and just trust your coaching staff to know who to bring in to the Gator program.

Another Spurrier quote: "Alabama brings in higher ranked recruits than us, but we found out that their ships are 'worth ($$) more' than our's are...."
---
(iG - at least until they end up on NCAA probation again)

PS

With only about 20 ships available for the 2017 Gator class, and with having already filled in many of the gaping holes left by the musclecramp, I expeced them to be slower and more careful with filling the coming class slots.

Last edited:
Maybe you should review why SOS made the comment that I mentioned above? ;)

The exception never proves the rule. Spurrier was one of the best x/o guys ever and revolutionized the SEC - if Mac is that same caliber then we can get out-recruited and still win a lot. Or hopefully Mac knows something the other coaches/services don't know and we are recruiting just fine. I like to think the latter but we'll see. Either way it's 180 degrees from where we were a couple of years ago.

Kirby's transition class? How many kids actually committed to Smart after he was hired? How many of those kids that did commit to Smart were already heavy UGA leans?

All this talk about UGA having elite talent. Hello!!! They've had elite talent for years when Richt was the coach. It's comical about all this talk about UGA being loaded, etc. When have they not have tons of talent?
Excuse it away all you want...Best transition class I have ever seen. Florida had key recruits bail with every coaching change. That didn't happen with Smart. He kept the big names and is still in it for the remaining 5star recruit on the board, who really was not really that in to UGa until Smart was hired. You have your eyes closed or are not paying attention if you can't see Smart is crushing it right now. We are butting heads with UGa much more than when Richt was there. His bump class is significantly ahead of your coach at the same time in his bump class. ...oh...and they just had a record crowd for their Spring game...Ludacris played a concert to start the game ....the place was loaded with top recruits, buzzing about the atmosphere SMART created. That is the type of creativity Urban used to come up with at UF to get kids excited. Keep thinking there is nothing there. Smart is going to be a recruiting force for the next few years, even if he is a bad coach. Oh, and hint...Richt wasting talent has absolutely zero to do with the new staff.

Last edited:
Excuse it away all you want...Best transition class I have ever seen. Florida had key recruits bail with every coaching change. That didn't happen with Smart. He kept the big names and is still in it for the remaining 5star recruit on the board, who really was not really that in to UGa until Smart was hired. You have your eyes closed or are not paying attention if you can't see Smart is crushing it right now. We are butting heads with UGa much more than when Richt was there. His bump class is significantly ahead of your coach at the same time in his bump class. ...oh...and they just had a record crowd for their Spring game...Ludacris played a concert to start the game ....the place was loaded with top recruits, buzzing about the atmosphere SMART created. That is the type of creativity Urban used to come up with at UF to get kids excited. Keep thinking there is nothing there. Smart is going to be a recruiting force for the next few years, even if he is a bad coach. Oh, and hint...Richt wasting talent has absolutely zero to do with the new staff.
Your not paying any attention. It is UGA. They have always recruited well and 90% of the time underachieved. Jim Donnan and Ray Goff recruited great at UGA as well. Spurrier would even make comments on it. All UGA did was fire on of their most successful coaches in school history for an unknown. I'm not going to worry about a program right now that hasn't had much success against UF in a long long time and hired an unproven head coach. Sorry If I'm not shaking in my boots quite yet. I'm a show me person. Show me something on the field first before I get concerned about UGA.

It is unbelievable to me that people are excusing Smart's transition class as an aberration and then also saying that Smart has advantages over Mac for the recruiting class of 2017. Really? In Mac's third class as Florida head coach after he won the SEC East in his first year and had the best Spring game that most fans have seen in 10 years, Kirby Smart somehow has an advantage over Mac in recruiting for this year? What that tells me is that some Gator fans will make excuses for Mac's recruiting being sub par no matter what the reality says. Here's the truth, Mac has shown to be a good game day coach so far and there are a lot of positives with this program. It's also true that his recruiting has been below average and continues to be so. We don't have to say that everything is great.

Last edited:
LOL sub par transition class? Really? That class was ranked 92nd in the country when he took the job. I would say his transition class was anything but subpar.

Behind in his 3rd class in mid- April? Really? Based on what?

How many commits did UGA have when Richt was fired? How many commits did Smart add to that class?

LOL sub par transition class? Really? That class was ranked 92nd in the country when he took the job. I would say his transition class was anything but subpar.

How many commits did UGA have when Richt was fired? How many commits did Smart add to that class?

So you think thus far in his tenure at UF he has recruited well?!?!?!?

I think he did very well in his transition class considering where it was when he took over. It was definitely not a subpar transition class. The class was horrendous when he took over and it was a tough sell because of the damage Muschamp had done. Anybody complaining about the 2015 recruiting class is out of their minds. The 2016 class was above average but getting all the early enrollees was a huge positive. Some of McElwain's recruits are already making an impact or on the verge of doing so. Right now I'm very satisfied where the 2017 recruiting class is at in mid April. 4 highly regarded commitments is good. Ask me about the 2017 recruiting class in about 6 months from now.

A good number of his 2015 class is already contributing or will be this coming year. Callaway, Cronkrite, Scarlett, K. Davis, K. Johnson, Fred Johnson, Zuniga, etc.

We went 10-4 his first year. We didn't lose to anybody that had less talent than us and we beat 3 teams that on paper were more talented than us in UGA, Ole Miss and UT.

Is everything perfect? No but things are much much better now than at any point during the Muschamp era. Give McElwain the chance to make the changes he wants to make and run the program how he wants to run it.

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Final 4 in the football playoff
Final 4 in basketball
# 2 recruiting class 2017
2018 already have 2 ( 5 *) commits
Top 5 team 2016

Not to worried about our program ( future bright) there pacoTaco :cool::cool:

This propaganda only translates into 3 commits 2017?!:eek::oops::eek::D

This guy was a Vol until we won again, then he was a Sooner. He's not the only Vol to jump ship after that last game, heck, he's not even the most obnoxious one. But bless his little heart, he's trying really hard.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
We went 10-4 his first year. We didn't lost to anybody that had less talent than us and we beat 3 teams that on paper were more talented than us in UGA, Ole Miss and UT.

You're pushing the limits here. Tennessee, Georgia, and Michigan did not have more talent than UF last year.

You're pushing the limits here. Tennessee, Georgia, and Michigan did not have more talent than UF last year.

Why are you here? To lecture Gators who have the NERVE to be optimistic and make rational cases for optimism? Your presence, opinions, and contributions suck.

UT and UGA were both ranked ahead of UF in the pre-season and both were supposed to finish ahead of UF in the SEC East. A lot of people surely thought they had more talent. I think UGA and UT had more talent on their rosters from top to bottom.

Tennessee was more of a trainwreck than UF. Jones' transition class was about the same as McElwain's....UT's bump class was better. Jones' third class was on par with McElwain's bump class (this is not a good thing)... the only reason for Tenn having a lowly rated 3rd class is because their roster is full and couldn't take anymore. Talent in Tennessee is a fraction of what it is in FL...point being, one should never favorably compare Tennessee classes to any school in Florida. Schools in the State of Florida have a huge advantage over TN schools.

Besides that, how many players short will UF have this year? 4? 5? 6? that's not going to be an issue at Tennessee.

You asked for an example...there it is.

Tennessee was more of a trainwreck than UF. Jones' transition class was about the same as McElwain's....UT's bump class was better. Jones' third class was on par with McElwain's bump class (this is not a good thing)... the only reason for Tenn having a lowly rated 3rd class is because their roster is full and couldn't take anymore. Talent in Tennessee is a fraction of what it is in FL...point being, one should never favorably compare Tennessee classes to any school in Florida. Schools in the State of Florida have a huge advantage over TN schools.

Besides that, how many players short will UF have this year? 4? 5? 6? that's not going to be an issue at Tennessee.

At no point was UTs recruiting class ranked #92. That is exactly where UFs class was ranked the day Muschamp got fired. Yes it had really gotten that bad under Muschamp. McElwain is already getting heavy/contributors out of guys he recruited out of that 2015 transition class. Players that wouldn't have signed on at UF if Muschamp was still coaching. Player like Callaway, Cronkrite, Scarlett, Ivey, F. Johnson, Kylan Johnson & Zuniga.

For whatever reason Mac is NOT good in the state of Florida. Just read where he is focusing more out of state. IF we lose to UT and FSU I don't see this getting better. Honestly I am mot sure Eason isn't better than Del Rio so I am not locking in a win there either. IF he were to go 0-3 against the big 3 rivals and then opens 2017 with a loaded and well coached MeatChicken, I just think trouble could be around the corner. But who knows, we may win the East again, I wouldn't bet on it because I think our crossovers are tough.

Sub par transition class....sub par bump class....behind in his 3rd class....there is a trend.
Oh Dear, bless your little heart. That 'transition class" was ranked in the 90s when McE was hired. He improved it into a top 25 class.

Bump class had a disappointing finish, after a great start. But not a catastrophic finish.

And are you guys *really*, *seriously* comparing the 2017 classes now?

Damn, you guys, most Noles and some Gators, take retard to a whole nother level.

For whatever reason Mac is NOT good in the state of Florida. Just read where he is focusing more out of state. IF we lose to UT and FSU I don't see this getting better. Honestly I am mot sure Eason isn't better than Del Rio so I am not locking in a win there either. IF he were to go 0-3 against the big 3 rivals and then opens 2017 with a loaded and well coached MeatChicken, I just think trouble could be around the corner. But who knows, we may win the East again, I wouldn't bet on it because I think our crossovers are tough.
Aren't all 4 of the current 2017 commits kids from the state of Florida? LOL

Aren't all 4 of the current 2017 commits kids from the state of Florida? LOL

Go look at the top 25 kids in the state of Florida for 2017, we are only even in contention for a handful of them. And Telfort will not be in the Gators 2017 class.

Isn't the topic about landing ELITE talent to keep up with the Bamas of the world?

You can win all the Februaries for all I care, as long as we win the Januaries. And in your case, the Novembers as well.

Just an FYI we only have 9 seniors on the team and 84 scholly players. I anticipate our 2017 signing class to be very small in the 18-20 range come NSD. I don't expect the staff to load up on commitments this early on in the recruiting cycle. It's mid-April for crying out loud.

I think the two camps on this thread are talking past one another. One is arguing Mac's transition is elite because he took it from somewhere in the 90's to top 30. Yes, that is true and Mc gets credit for bringing in a much better than a #90ish ranked class. The other camp is saying the class, regardless of where it started, is subpar for UF 'standards' in order to compete consistently with the FSU's, Bama's, of the college football world and will have their hands more than full if the trend continues with programs such as UGA, UT, etc. So, IMO, that is probably pretty accurate as well.

Recruiting elite players does take some type of momentum to get going or it will be difficult to gain serious traction. In the new college football world of three and done for the elite athletes...they do NOT want to wait around two or three years to possibly compete for a national championship. They want to 'select' a program that is already at or near the top versus one that 'hopes' to get there in a couple/few years. Sorry for the bit longer than planned post, just my two cents...

At no point was UTs recruiting class ranked #92. That is exactly where UFs class was ranked the day Muschamp got fired. Yes it had really gotten that bad under Muschamp. McElwain is already getting heavy/contributors out of guys he recruited out of that 2015 transition class. Players that wouldn't have signed on at UF if Muschamp was still coaching. Player like Callaway, Cronkrite, Scarlett, Ivey, F. Johnson, Kylan Johnson & Zuniga.
This #92 rank becomes convenient for Gator apologists every where...not only is it a moving target (the number gets larger every time I see it written somewhere), but it doesn't paint the entire picture. Seemingly every 5 star recruit in Florida that year was a Florida fan growing up. It wasn't that big a of score to get Jefferson and Ivey, Florida kids who grew up wanting to be Gators. I considered Cowart a massive loss, even if it was to Muschamp.

UT had 9 players committed when Jones was hired. UF had 11 and lost a couple of players, including a top ranked QB shortly after talking with McElwain (IOW, part of whatever low ranking number you want to use was McElwain's fault). UT did not have a deep pool of high ranking recruits that even wanted to sniff Knoxville when Jones took the reigns. Jones' best pull was an out of state kid who only played half of his senior year....because that is what one has to do when their are limited in-state resources. The results were similar...the resources and situations were not.

This #92 rank becomes convenient for Gator apologists every where...not only is it a moving target (the number gets larger every time I see it written somewhere), but it doesn't paint the entire picture. Seemingly every 5 star recruit in Florida that year was a Florida fan growing up. It wasn't that big a of score to get Jefferson and Ivey, Florida kids who grew up wanting to be Gators. I considered Cowart a massive loss, even if it was to Muschamp.

UT had 9 players committed when Jones was hired. UF had 11 and lost a couple of players, including a top ranked QB shortly after talking with McElwain (IOW, part of whatever low ranking number you want to use was McElwain's fault). UT did not have a deep pool of high ranking recruits that even wanted to sniff Knoxville when Jones took the reigns. Jones' best pull was an out of state kid who only played half of his senior year....because that is what one has to do when their are limited in-state resources. The results were similar...the resources and situations were not.
First off Cowart wasn't a Gator fan growing up. Cowart followed a coach to Auburn. A coach that isn't there anymore. Cowart followed a relationship he had built not a school. Martez Ivey's foster mother for the past few years has been Chandler Cox's mother. Chandler Cox ended up at Auburn. Ivey was getting a lot of push to go to Auburn not Florida. You make at sound as if these kids were Gator fans growing up like Tim Tebow was. You couldn't be farther from the truth.

You also left out kids like Antonio Callaway, Jordan Scarlett & Jordan Cronkrote that joined that transition class.

I hope that Mc continues to build a solid character team of Student/athletes, instead of just getting a bunch of athletes that win some game but otherwise embarrass UF.

Let the snake-oil salesmen run their teams how they want, but I'd rather have a Spurrier than a Blobby Bowdown any day... o_O
(just like I'd rather have a McElwain than a Fisher) :p (each to his own) :cool:

First off Cowart wasn't a Gator fan growing up. Cowart followed a coach to Auburn. A coach that isn't there anymore. Cowart followed a relationship he had built not a school. Martez Ivey's foster mother for the past few years has been Chandler Cox's mother. Chandler Cox ended up at Auburn. Ivey was getting a lot of push to go to Auburn not Florida. You make at sound as if these kids were Gator fans growing up like Tim Tebow was. You couldn't be farther from the truth.

You also left out kids like Antonio Callaway, Jordan Scarlett & Jordan Cronkrote that joined that transition class.
Paint it anyway you want...FSU was in a deep hole against those kids from day 1. Florida was at the top of their list...even with the SS Muschamp listing. And thanks for mentioning those Florida kids...it further proves my point. The State of Tennessee is lucky to have one of those quality of players a year. Florida has them coming out of the woodwork. Florida was loaded that year with a lot of kids who loved the Gators... had Muschamp done well enough to stay, UF would have had a top 3 class, no question. The situation could not have played out before for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT