ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Panic??

It depends. The key positions tend to commit earlier and earlier these days. Usually your QB is locked up junior year, that's really the key. We have Allen and then idk if this Toney kid is a QB or not. Same with oline, they commit earlier and earlier because those are really the kids with no drama. The 5-star types are gonna drag it out until signing day though, that's just the way it is. So on the one hand there's not necessarily a reason to panic if you're in on a lot of those guys, but I don't believe we are.

Once upon a time, we used to get half of our recruits in one weekend in January and a solid 25% on signing day. If we had 6 commitments by the time the season started, that was a lot.

Mack Brown started locking up his class before the season started. Meyer started pushing for those key commits earlier and earlier. Now, if you enter the season with less than half of what you expect to sign, you are in serious trouble.

The schools with the top class are significantly done by the the time camp starts and then they are just fighting over a handful of drama queens.

Of course...fans be fans. All the dumb coach needs to do is put the next guy in and everything will be ok. If the coach would just LISTEN to them! OL...that takes a long time to fix (insert fingers in ears...lalalalalalalal)

And, to address the other person talking about how early it is in the process of recruiting. You are wrong. Urban Meyer changed recruiting. You are not at the beginning. You are dead in the middle to the beginning of the end. You have two months bw now and when camp starts to get commits....recruiting grinds to a halt during the season. Very few commits happen during the season with players and coaches too busy...recruiting goes wild at the end of the last game of the season until the middle of December when the NCAA shuts it down..and then it opens up again the day after the Championship game, the 2nd week of January. Combined, there is a little over 3 months left in recruiting season....not a lot of time to make up gaps.

One of the ranking services released the list of top 25 uncommitted recruits. Every one of your rivals from Bama to FSU to LSU (with a lame duck coach) to Ole Miss had multiple players that favored the respective team....UF had exactly...zero. UGa had 4....I have never seen less top players interest in UF...this goes back decades of following recruiting.

Something is detering the TOP kids from showing interest in UF, not sure what, but no matter what the homers say, we have an issue

First and foremost, UF is not a place that any HS recruit would ever want to come to, because the current Gator players are just the athletes that were turned down everywhere else. :(

The coaches are all clueless idiots, the academics are basket-weaving pitiful, and the administration is careless and non-supportive. :rolleyes:

The fans are fickle bandwagon chumps that will never support a sports program. :confused:

Every HS recruit that agrees with the above statements is certainly academically qualified to easily gain entrance to FSUcks. Any Gator fan that believes those statements should immediately become either Big12/10 fans or Big10/12 fans.... o_O

PS

New Gator fight song:
Doom, despair, pain and ag-go-knee.
Deep dark depression is coming over me.
Twad-dent for bad luck I'd have no luck atall.
Doom, despair, and ag-go-knee on meeee.... :(

JMOHO's of course... :p -- :cool:

First and foremost, UF is not a place that any HS recruit would ever want to come to, because the current Gator players are just the athletes that were turned down everywhere else. :(

The coaches are all clueless idiots, the academics are basket-weaving pitiful, and the administration is careless and non-supportive. :rolleyes:

The fans are fickle bandwagon chumps that will never support a sports program. :confused:

Every HS recruit that agrees with the above statements is certainly academically qualified to easily gain entrance to FSUcks. Any Gator fan that believes those statements should immediately become either Big12/10 fans or Big10/12 fans.... o_O

PS

New Gator fight song:
Doom, despair, pain and ag-go-knee.
Deep dark depression is coming over me.
Twad-dent for bad luck I'd have no luck atall.
Doom, despair, and ag-go-knee on meeee.... :(

JMOHO's of course... :p -- :cool:

Dodging the question. A great strategy when the evidence doesn't fit the argument

Alabama and Auburn "leftovers" ? Hmmm

It's May, hope his commitment stays strong toward UF. Great job for Mc for jumping on this early.

Go Gators!

Alabama and Auburn "leftovers" ? Hmmm

It's May, hope his commitment stays strong toward UF. Great job for Mc for jumping on this early.

Go Gators!

Alabama HS RB Lamical Perine 5-11 218 **** stayed, even after getting an offer from Saban. I expect 4 star Ath Toney to also follow though on his pledge/word.
And Perine was an Alabama HS 'Back of the Year' award winner.

I would love to see UF get Jacksonville back on lock like it use to be and make Tampa a pipeline more but I like the way south Florida is a priority.

Without a defender in the group???
In May no less.

Time for all Gators to
305741.gif
panic

Reactions: instaGATOR
I just want the 'quality' people/players (student/athletes), that WANT to be Gators.

I will freely admit that I don't really care where they come from.

Spurrier grew up in and came from Tennis-sea (born in S.FL).
Wuerffel came from the FL panhandle.
Tebow wasn't from S.FL, and Harvin wasn't even from FL anywhere....
While Chris Doering was from right here in Gainesville, P.K. Young.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Top 10 ranked class...Just wanted to bring this thread...

BTTT
And I like it. I like it a lot.

Yet I will feel a lot differently if we lose two of the three academic risks we signed. As as reminder, those three are Lemmons, Robinson and Slaton. Without all three then this class falls out of the top twenty. Without two of the three, then it is, at best 15-20. With two of the three, then it is 10-15, or about like last year.

So, it is a wait and see game.

Reactions: Michi-Gator
And I like it. I like it a lot.

Yet I will feel a lot differently if we lose two of the three academic risks we signed. As as reminder, those three are Lemmons, Robinson and Slaton. Without all three then this class falls out of the top twenty. Without two of the three, then it is, at best 15-20. With two of the three, then it is 10-15, or about like last year.

So, it is a wait and see game.

Saw an SI article a long time ago that documented Tennessee-Fuller and FSU-Bowden's declines. Both had a similar reality - although both programs were signing Top 10 classes, when you took out the long shots that didn't make it to year 2...they were barely top 20 classes. I hope we can stick this class!

But no, noway. He can't be. He is taking a different approach and jumping on kids earlier. He isn't reading the RIVALS.com 5 star list and taking the same approach that didn't work for the last guy.

He jus needs a qb. Ive said this b4. Mac looks like a guy that knows something that nobody else knows. Secret genius

Saw an SI article a long time ago that documented Tennessee-Fuller and FSU-Bowden's declines. Both had a similar reality - although both programs were signing Top 10 classes, when you took out the long shots that didn't make it to year 2...they were barely top 20 classes. I hope we can stick this class!

So far Mac has signed classes with few and little deflection. I may be missing something but D'Anfernee McGriff was an academic casualty, Jordan Cronkite transferred, and the TE, Daniel Imbokehkeeveryouspellhisname (too lazy to look up) transferred before ever taking part of a fall camp. Not bad.

So far Mac has signed classes with few and little deflection. I may be missing something but D'Anfernee McGriff was an academic casualty, Jordan Cronkite transferred, and the TE, Daniel Imbokehkeeveryouspellhisname (too lazy to look up) transferred before ever taking part of a fall camp. Not bad.
Not going to debate those facts.

But the quality of this class is very, very dependent on those three qualifying

Reactions: Michi-Gator

FSU always had a bunch pan out and head to the NFL most years. The only teams Spurrier wasnt at a talent disadvantage to FSU was probably the 95 and 96 teams.

That may very well be true in their latter years however when they went downhill quickly like you say.

Last edited:
I wonder why those that constantly tout the musclecramps class rankings don't ever admit how many of his recruits that either bombed or GTFoD and never did squat for UF before bailing.
Re-rank his classes 1-2-3 years down the road and they stunk on ice imo.

About 10 of his last class bailed out when he got fired, leaving Mc with the #91 class to have to fill. Mc brought it up to #21 by adding 15 in a month.

Then Mc had to dump another 8-10 that were of the 'problem-child' variety before his first season. Since then, Mc has done a phenomenal job of filling in all of the blanks with quality student/athletes, while doing it the 'right' way.
========

If 3 don't make it, then it affects the total numbers, and the service rankings.
It won't affect the quality of those that remain. For those that live on the stars, 17 of the 23 are 4 stars by either Rivals or ESPN or both. That would leave 14 that are 4 stars if all 3 don't make it in. The only one that I'd miss would be the DT Slaton.
RB - Thompson, Scarlett, Perine, Davis. -- Lemons
WR - Callaway, Cleveland, Hammond, Swain, Wells, Green, -- Robinson

~but michi-twit is likely on his knees praying for a drop in recruit class rankings.
o_O ----- :p ----- :D

I wonder why those that constantly tout the musclecramps class rankings don't ever admit how many of his recruits that either bombed or GTFoD and never did squat for UF before bailing.

About 10 of his last class bailed out when he got fired, leaving Mc with the #91 class to have to fill. Mc brought it up to #21 by adding 15 in a month.

Then Mc had to dump another 8-10 that were of the 'problem-child' variety before his first season. Since then, Mc has done a phenomenal job of filling in all of the blanks with quality student/athletes, while doing it the 'right' way.
========

If 3 don't make it, then it affects the total numbers, and the service rankings.
It won't affect the quality of those that remain. For those that live on the stars, 17 of the 23 are 4 stars by either Rivals or ESPN or both. That would leave 14 that are 4 stars if all 3 don't make it in. The only one that I'd miss would be the DT Slaton.

~but michi-twit is likely on his knees praying for a drop in recruit class rankings.

Slaton adds MUCH needed players to a raw and thin DT group and has the size to contribute early. Certainly would hurt to lose him.

And sorry, Robinson is a 6'4" athletic freak, we all should be hoping this works out, especially as terrible as our RZ offense has been. He could completely change that dynamic immediately.

Lemons is the most expendable of the three, not because of lack of talent but because we have quality in front of him at a position where only one plays at a time anyway

========

Because those touting Chumps classes have watched our D loaded with NFL first rounders dominate for the past two seasons. Or watched Poole and Neal in the NFL playoffs. He aucked at offensive recruiting, but even as a guy with a large disdain for Chump, the defensive talent he recruited is not even arguable. It was elite

He jus needs a qb. Ive said this b4. Mac looks like a guy that knows something that nobody else knows. Secret genius

Maybe the QB he jumped on earlier vs Saban is the QB. Maybe Jake Allen really does have it. I also don't know why people have already thrown in the towel on Franks/Trask.

When Mac arrived he had QB Will Grier (steroid taker) and Treon Harris (who couldn't lay off weed during the season) and had to fill in with a Vandy transfer and later a Purdue transfer. Now he has
Toney
Allen
Franks
Trask
LDR

A five deep roster. I cross my fingers and hope he develops at least one...If not four.

I know, I was just picking at ya. Everything worked out in the end. I hope the staff jumps on recruits early this year.

It appears they are being aggressive right now. I think if the on field is good we will get some kids to lock in a little earlier. We ended up with a great class if they all get in. But when you get the majority of your committs on NSD it can backfire. But very happy and hopeful about what this class will do on the field

To me it's crucial that Lemons and Robinson get in. Mac's first and second class was primarily offensive focused but some of those key players like Scarlett and Callaway are juniors next year and might leave. We need the next explosive players in line to step up so we don't have the dropoff. A Davis, Lemons, and Robinson trio to add to Cleveland and Perine is legit. If we could get that OL fixed with a new OC we'd put up points in bunches.

Take the five-year average of the 247Sports Composite team rankings without consideration for player attrition, player development, transfers or other factors, and what do you get? This.

Here's where your last 10 national champions rank on this list: Clemson (No. 12), Alabama (No. 1), Ohio State (No. 2), Florida State (No. 4), Auburn (No. 7), Florida (No. 10), LSU (No. 3)

Perhaps underperforming relative to their talent: Georgia (No. 5), Notre Dame (No. 8), Texas A&M (No. 9), Tennessee (No. 11), UCLA (No. 13)​

"Perhaps"? Thanks for being kind.

Because those touting Chumps classes have watched our D loaded with NFL first rounders dominate for the past two seasons. Or watched Poole and Neal in the NFL playoffs. He aucked at offensive recruiting, but even as a guy with a large disdain for Chump, the defensive talent he recruited is not even arguable. It was elite

I G-a-S what they do or did in the NFL. What did the musclecramp recruits do last season, and what did the Mc-recruits do for the Gators on the field?

Why in the world would Mc-Staff take a lowly LB that was only given 2 stars by the genius star givers?
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/how-and-why-florida-signed-sleeper-miami-lb-lacedrick-brunson
Similiar to Vosean Joseph only being a 3 star, etc...

And does Mc's chosen defensive staff get any credit for their coaching, or does WM get all the credit just for signing them?
* Who did Tabor send his thank-you letter to for the coaching he received? o_O
=======================

The starting QB was gone for the season by the Ark game.
This is the injury report the week before the Oct 8th LSU game.
~ As for the rest of the injury report, McElwain says DT Caleb Brantley and LB Alex Anzalone are expected to play with a wrap on their injured hands.WR Brandon Powell, LT David Sharpe (shoulder) and DE Bryan Cox Jr. will also be ready to go for Saturday. LB Daniel McMillian is questionable and DE Jordan Sherit and DT Joey Ivie are out for the game.
And it only got much worse as the 2nd half of the season unfolded.

By the week of the SEC-C game:
Out: DE Jordan Sherit, OC Cameron Dillard“
Out or probably out: MLB Jarrad Davis, LB Alex Anzalone, FS Marcus Maye, SS Nick Washington, DE Bryan Cox
Questionable: RT Jeawon Taylor, LT Martez Ivey, WR Ahmad Fulwood, CB/Nic Duke Dawson, LB Daniel McMillian

By the Outback Bowl the 3 starting LB's were:
rsFr K.Johnson, Fr D.Reese, Fr V.Joseph.
The starting FS (Bowl MVP) was Fr Chauncey Gardener, and the DL rotation was loaded with Mc-recruits.

You constantly say unsupported STUPID-CHIT, like it's factual information. o_O

I G-a-S what they do or did in the NFL. What did the musclecramp recruits do last season, and what did the Mc-recruits do for the Gators on the field?

Why in the world would Mc-Staff take a lowly LB that was only given 2 stars by the genius star givers?
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/how-and-why-florida-signed-sleeper-miami-lb-lacedrick-brunson
Similiar to Vosean Joseph only being a 3 star, etc...

And does Mc's chosen defensive staff get any credit for their coaching, or does WM get all the credit just for signing them?
* Who did Tabor send his thank-you letter to for the coaching he received? o_O
=======================

The starting QB was gone for the season by the Ark game.
This is the injury report the week before the Oct 8th LSU game.
~ As for the rest of the injury report, McElwain says DT Caleb Brantley and LB Alex Anzalone are expected to play with a wrap on their injured hands.WR Brandon Powell, LT David Sharpe (shoulder) and DE Bryan Cox Jr. will also be ready to go for Saturday. LB Daniel McMillian is questionable and DE Jordan Sherit and DT Joey Ivie are out for the game.
And it only got much worse as the 2nd half of the season unfolded.

By the week of the SEC-C game:
Out: DE Jordan Sherit, OC Cameron Dillard“
Out or probably out: MLB Jarrad Davis, LB Alex Anzalone, FS Marcus Maye, SS Nick Washington, DE Bryan Cox
Questionable: RT Jeawon Taylor, LT Martez Ivey, WR Ahmad Fulwood, CB/Nic Duke Dawson, LB Daniel McMillian

By the Outback Bowl the 3 starting LB's were:
rsFr K.Johnson, Fr D.Reese, Fr V.Joseph.
The starting FS (Bowl MVP) was Fr Chauncey Gardener, and the DL rotation was loaded with Mc-recruits.

You constantly say unsupported STUPID-CHIT, like it's factual information. o_O

Are you insinuating Chumps recruits havent contributed the last two seasons???

Are you insinuating Chumps recruits havent contributed the last two seasons???

Nope, I'm just pointing out that YOUR CLAIM that Mc's success was only due to WM's recruit class rankings is TOTAL BS.

And Mc's on-the-job successes will continue to prove that you nay-sayers are not the sooth-sayers that you think you are.... o_O

I give the credit, when and where it's due. You should try that for a change... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT