Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoGator19

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2006
* It means FSU instantly got better, at least for this year
* It means Sean Maguire and JJ Cosentino basically suck
* It means Jimbo Fisher has zero loyalty to players who have already put 2-3 years into the program, they've been thrown to the junk heap
* It means the Francois and Johnson will likely get redshirted
* It means FSU doesn't think Francois and Johnson are good enough to be ready to start this year
* It means FSU recruits should beware of the tactics of their head football coach

* It means FSU instantly got better, at least for this year. Yes
* It means Sean Maguire and JJ Cosentino basically suck. FSU/Jimbo would just like another QB with game experience. If SM does start it would be great to have a backup with national championship game experience to step in versus a green QB. Neither may end up starting for FSU in their career, but that has happened to other QBs under Fisher. QB competition is tough.
* It means Jimbo Fisher has zero loyalty to players who have already put 2-3 years into the program, they've been thrown to the junk heap. EG is not guaranteed to start. It has been made clear.
* It means the Francois and Johnson will likely get redshirted. YES. They were both probably going to get the RS anyways with SM, JJ, and Franklin ahead of them going into August, but this guarantees they get a RS.
* It means FSU doesn't think Francois and Johnson are good enough to be ready to start this year. Nope, not enough experience in the system and they need time to get acclimated.
* It means FSU recruits should beware of the tactics of their head football coachHow so? EG is a one and done. The young guys knew they were 4th and 5th string coming in. If they show out then all bets are off, but chances are they were going to both RS with or without EG.

Reactions: CurtOFD78
I don't think its a knock on Jimbos loyalty - this is a business and you gotta take every opportunity to improve your team.

Muschamp was loyal to Driskel and now they're both gone, along with every other QB we signed from 2011-2013.

Would all the same apply to you if he wanted to go to UF?

Yes, but he couldn't have come to UF because the SEC was not going to waive their transfer rule. But a BIG difference is McElwain has no established connections with Grier or Harris, he didn't recruit them, he inherited them. Jimbo is showing he has no problem with throwing his current players, players he recruited and made promises to, that he has no problem throwing them under the bus.

It means FSU can avoid starting McGuire and insert a proven guy until their young QB's are ready. Dammit. McGuire starting meant an automatic 4 losses, I've seen middle school QB's more athletic.

Jimbo's philosophy is the best guy plays. Period. Everyone on the team knows it when they come to FSU. Muschamp would probably still be coaching at Florida if he followed that simple rule. Trying to spin this into a negative is just sour grapes.

No sour grapes, I think Golson is clearly better than Maguire or Cosentino, but don't throw the "sour grapes" on me, the "best guy" who was not even on your team yesterday is a lot different than benching your starting QB for another QB already on your roster...you're reaching with that one!

No sour grapes, I think Golson is clearly better than Maguire or Cosentino, but don't throw the "sour grapes" on me, the "best guy" who was not even on your team yesterday is a lot different than benching your starting QB for another QB already on your roster...you're reaching with that one!

Competition, competition, competition.

Lol, coaches will take anyone who makes their team better. Every recruit is a threat to a starter. On rare occasions you get a senior transfer. Not only was UF trying to get this exact same guy, but you have taken at least one senior transfer and put him in a starting role, displacing another Gator who had been there his entire college career. In fact, you guys were one of the first teams to do this with Ryan Smith. Hypocritical much? You are trying to find a dark lining on a silver cloud.

Reactions: ck5nole
It's sour grapes as I have seen you speak on the topic on 2 boards now. You mad.

It's sour grapes as I have seen you speak on the topic on 2 boards now. You mad.
These type of situations do not come around very often. EG will compete for the job and if he is the best, he will start. I don't see anything wrong with this approach.

I actually think this is better than an underclassmen transferring. What's the difference than your TE who transferred from UVa?

* It means Jimbo Fisher has zero loyalty to players who have already put 2-3 years into the program, they've been thrown to the junk heap

Didn't UF just take a transfer QB from Vandy and possibly another from Oregon State?

So, wouldn't taking Juco players be the same? What about your tight end last year from Virgina?

Trying to spin this as a negative at FSU is a joke on your part. We had no starting QB experience for this year. We now have that. We have a FULL stable of QB's for the future. Wake me up when your program is relevant again. Last I saw, UF is ranked #12 in the SEC this year. I know it must hurt when your program has fallen down so far where nobody talks about it.

Damn, I may have to kill myself. I agree with several of the points several FSU fans made in this thread.

Reactions: 34fsu
Well, not by nole standards, but yes, getting suspended for an entire season is troubled for normal folks.
Yea, but it was for academic fraud. FSU has historically demonstrated they have a high tolerance for that.

(I feel much better now that I can deliver that snark)

I think it is a smart move on Jimbo's part. Instantly increased the competition no matter who they start, gives them some one with a lot of experience, gives them someone with championship level experience. I think it was very smart and may have saved FSU's season. You guys do know that Golson is a good football player right? Yes, he turns the ball over, but who cares when all he has to do is hand it to Cook three plays in a row and then every once in a while complete a pass on third down just to keep the defense honest. I give two thumbs up to Jimbo for going after Golson, I would have liked to get him or that guy from OHIO that ended up staying there, can't remember his name but they are both better than what FSU has at QB and what we currently have at QB, period. Anything else is sour grapes

Reactions: ck5nole
Yea, but it was for academic fraud. FSU has historically demonstrated they have a high tolerance for that.

(I feel much better now that I can deliver that snark)

Dude, after the guys who played under Urban Meyer, are you really trying to sling mud?

He's a decent QB. He's not a world-beater or anything. But it was obvious that Maguire sucked.

* It means FSU instantly got better, at least for this year
* It means Sean Maguire and JJ Cosentino basically suck
* It means the Francois and Johnson will likely get redshirted
* It means FSU doesn't think Francois and Johnson are good enough to be ready to start this year
* It means FSU recruits should beware of the tactics of their head football coach
Remember when Spurrier took in Vanez Gooch? He transferred from FSU.

Maguire was a low rated and lightly recruited quarterback prospect in the 2013 class.
Jimbo must have seen something in him to offer a scholarship. His play
last season as he filled in for the sidelined Winston was pedestrian at best, and only
the intervention from the football gods saved the game for him. Of all the quarterbacks
on Jimbo's roster, I see him as the guy with the biggest heart, but the least upside.
The future at the position is very positive for FSU, but not for 2015. Had Jimbo not recruited
Golson when his availability arose and his interest in FSU was expressed, Jimbo would have
been derelict in his responsibilities to the program. There is no doubt that Golson will arrive on
campus as the most game ready quarterback on the roster. The question will be how quickly
he can pick up the playbook and gel with the rest of the team.
The assertion that Jimbo has sold out other members of the team is disingenuous. Little
more than a thinly veiled attempt to sow seeds of distrust to the recruits who regularly
visit all of our message boards. Jimbo owes to all of the players his best efforts of putting the program in the best position to win. It goes far beyond the position of quarterback. Years ago, when Bobby and Steve were two of the top coaches and recruiters in the game, Steve also tried similar tactics. It's not like Steve had any shortage of talent. His was every bit as good as Bobby's. But Steve
always seemed to covet Bobby's recruits. He never passed up an opportunity to bring up Bobby's age
or the amount of talent Bobby had stockpiled and sitting on the bench waiting their opportunity.
The saga of Vanez Gooch is one of my favorite memories of the saga between the two.
When the under achieving and mal contented Gooch told Bobby of his desire to leave, Bobby
wanted nothing more to see Steve waste a scholly on the guy. Only the most diehard of fans
could ever say that it was a good move on Steve's part. Walk on's have played better for the
Gators than that guy ever did.

Last edited:
Not to brag but FSU's offense is just filthy. Golson throwing to Rudolph,Lane and Campbell. Cook, Pender and Patrick running the ball. They'll be in the thick of the playoff race.

I'm sure he's the only guy on the roster at FSU, UF, Miami, Notre Dame to cheat in a class. He did graduate. I think it was a no brainer for FSU. He's pretty good, man. And Jimbo, despite being ridiculously named, has shown he can coach up a quarterback.

FSU really doesn't need him, Francois has to be kicking himself for the time being for picking FSU..

Golson is a turnover machine against any kind of decent defense, but we would have been able to have use for him way more than FSU.

FSU really doesn't need him, Francois has to be kicking himself for the time being for picking FSU..

Golson is a turnover machine against any kind of decent defense, but we would have been able to have use for him way more than FSU.

Francois was a redshirt all the way. He needed to be an early enrollee if he wanted to play this year.

Your are assuming Golson throws to them and not the other team.

His fumbles were more the problem last year. Trying to do too much probably factored in. Hopefully that can be corrected. Joe Schad said it could be a Russell Wilson type scenario, which I would highly approve.

FSU really doesn't need him, Francois has to be kicking himself for the time being for picking FSU...

Why? Did he or anyone with a functioning brain think that Jimbo Fisher was going to hand him the keys as a true freshman, especially not even being an early enrollee? Francois isn't on campus yet, and it's somehow a slap in his face that a player who is going to be here only one year transferred in?

Francois was also aware that Johnson was signing in the same class and that top 2016 QB Malik Henry has been a long time commitment. What a reach of a post...

Because Francois got trapped in a room by Weinke and co. and was forced to go to a team that doesn't need a QB near as bad as the rival school

Reactions: j.d.king24
I've seen Golson play and I've seen Maguire play, really? Golson is much better than Maguire, and Jimbo doesn't think Maguire will ever be his starting QB, he threw him to the curb

What's the alternative? Should Jimbo favor "his guys" who have been loyal over the years, over newcomers who appear to have more potential? That doesn't sound right to me. That's just bad management.

This isn't some casual neighborhood league where everyone gets to play; it's D1 college football. Anyone coaching at this level should be finding the best talent and making sure that the best guys start. Anything else would be unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT