ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Baseball

Pat Dooley‏@pat_dooley 5h5 hours ago

Talked to many people close to Kevin O'Sullivan and Sully to SC is not happening for a # of reasons. Not sure it ever had a real genesis.

Not true at all. There are many reason why he WILL be the next HC at USCe.

1. Personal reason/ kids/ divorce/wife from SC

2. Coach Tanner will pay over a mil

3. USC facilities > UF baseball facilities

4. Top 5 college baseball stadium

5. Fan support. Founders Park hold 8,000+ fans and they sell out consistently. McKethan holds 5,500 fans and I believe they only average 1,500 a game.

6. It's rare to have an AD that's a former baseball guy. Sully knows Tanner will take care of him and he'll get the support he needs.

South Carolina is a college baseball blueblood. Our fans actually care. It's ridiculous the amount of success Sully has brought to UF and the majority of UF fans could care less about college baseball. I don't get it. Especially for a school in the southeast.

doesn't every school have better facilities than our cheap foley system lol

Our fans actually care. It's ridiculous the amount of success Sully has brought to UF and the majority of UF fans could care less about college baseball. I don't get it. Especially for a school in the southeast.

This is true. Our fan support is pathetic. Watching the regionals last week, everybody was packed and we had a few hundred in the stands. I don't think Sully is going anywhere though, because UF will pay him, and recruiting is easier.

And O'Sul probably saw how Spurrier was treated by their excuse for fans when he decided that he'd had enough of coaching the lamecocks... o_O

Fyi, this year Florida averaged 4462 while the cocks were 7437. Florida fans are spoiled. We win championships on a regular basis and take them for granted. Cocks have 2 mens titles both in baseball. Their fans have always supported them. Same with clemson

[QUOTE. bradleygator, post: 1038046, member: 7518"]Hope it brings out some fans. Looked like a decent crowd today. It's tough with the weather, but no excuse for our regional turnout.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. About 65m in uogrades to just baseball.

Fyi, this year Florida averaged 4462 while the cocks were 7437. Florida fans are spoiled. We win championships on a regular basis and take them for granted. Cocks have 2 mens titles both in baseball. Their fans have always supported them. Same with clemson

Every stadium everywhere is packed in the CWS. 9k at Arkansas every night of the regional. The shots of our stadium are embarrassing.

Reactions: 46885
I can't imagine sully wanting to stay with stuff like that continuing to go on, or how the players want to come deal with that... There's absolutely zero excuse for it, Long beach state has a packed house for christs sake, what is our fans deal seriously? It's pathetic

5. Fan support. Founders Park hold 8,000+ fans and they sell out consistently. McKethan holds 5,500 fans and I believe they only average 1,500 a game.

6. It's rare to have an AD that's a former baseball guy. Sully knows Tanner will take care of him and he'll get the support he needs.

South Carolina is a college baseball blueblood. Our fans actually care. It's ridiculous the amount of success Sully has brought to UF and the majority of UF fans could care less about college baseball. I don't get it. Especially for a school in the southeast.

"South Carolina is a college baseball blueblood".

Thanks dude, needed a laugh.

Reactions: instaGATOR
You understand the USCe has a bigger stadium than Florida?

And that Columbia is a much bigger place than Gainesville?

Does attendence and facilities honestly matter that much to Sully? Or most any other college coaches? Compared to endless talented players to cherry pick in your own backyard?...and every other advantage that has had UF making deep runs consistently?.... despite an average of 4,500 fans watching from the stands and facilities that are soon to have a complete facelift?

"South Carolina is a college baseball blueblood".

Thanks dude, needed a laugh.

We're a top 10 program all time. Statistics and records books don't lie, not to mention our national titles. I'm glad historical facts are funny to you. You should show up to my stand up gigs. I need a couple homers in the crowd.

Does attendence and facilities honestly matter that much to Sully? Or most any other college coaches? Compared to endless talented players to cherry pick in your own backyard?...and every other advantage that has had UF making deep runs consistently?.... despite an average of 4,500 fans watching from the stands and facilities that are soon to have a complete facelift?

This is what I think. The access to talent and facilities is probably most important. And money obviously.

We're a top 10 program all time. Statistics and records books don't lie, not to mention our national titles. I'm glad historical facts are funny to you. You should show up to my stand up gigs. I need a couple homers in the crowd.
By all mean, lay your facts on us

BTW, here are the baseball attendance figure from last year;

GnTgDmj.jpg

Mckethan stadium hold 5,500 people

Here is 2017;

2017 Baseball Attendance Report
03/06/2017
3/6/17

CONFERENCE AVERAGE
1. SEC - 5,028
2. Big 12 - 2,543
3. ACC - 2,017
4. Pac 12 - 1,195
5. Big Ten - 955

BIG 12
7. TCU (7) - 4,954
11. Texas (8) - 4,497
14. Texas Tech (6) - 3,831
26. Baylor (8) - 2,171
32. Kansas State (3) - 1,955
58. Kansas (5) - 1,021
60. Oklahoma State (4) - 1,005
64. Oklahoma (13) - 912
NR. West Virginia (0)

ACC
8. Clemson (9) - 4,862
10. Florida State (10) - 4,522
19. Miami (6) - 2,781
20. Virginia (9) - 2,698
25. NC State (6) - 2,197
42. Louisville (8) - 1,539
49. North Carolina (12) - 1,184
50. Georgia Tech (10) - 1,172
98. Wake Forest (8) - 540
113. Duke (8) - 429
145. Virginia Tech (6) - 259
NR. Boston College (0)
NR. Notre Dame (0)
NR. Pittsburgh (0)

BIG TEN
44. Minnesota (8) - 1,419
46. Iowa (1) - 1,312
182. Rutgers (1) - 134
NR. Illinois (0)
NR. Indiana (0)
NR. Maryland (0)
NR. Michigan (0)
NR. Michigan State (0)
NR. Nebraska (0)
NR. Northwestern (0)
NR. Ohio State (0)
NR. Penn State (0)
NR. Purdue (0)

PAC 12
22. Oregon State (3) - 2,578
23. Arizona (8) - 2,505
31. Arizona State (8) - 1,968
51. Stanford (9) - 1,159
52. Oregon (3) - 1,147
77. UCLA (8) - 704
92. Southern Cal (6) - 603
102. California (7) - 481
105. Washington State (3) - 471
123. Washington (4) - 331
NR. Utah (0)

SEC
1. LSU (8) - 10,733
2. Mississippi (8) - 9,238
3. Mississippi State (9) - 8,860
4. Arkansas (6) - 8,359
5. South Carolina (10) - 7,437
9. Texas A&M (9) - 4,831
12. Florida (10) - 4,462
13. Alabama (11) - 4,171
18. Auburn (12) - 2,811
21. Vanderbilt (9) - 2,607
27. Kentucky (5) - 2,103
30. Georgia (7) - 1,980
33. Tennessee (3) - 1,836
61. Missouri (2) - 970

TOP 10 OTHERS
6. Louisiana-Lafayette (3) - 4,995
15. East Carolina (7) - 3,278
16. Southern Miss (7) - 3,117
17. Hawaii (7) - 2,995
24. Rice (7) - 2,349
28. Wichita State (7) - 2,095
29. Coastal Carolina (13) - 2,069
34. Georgia Southern (8) - 1,785
35. Fresno State (11) - 1,776
36. Cal State Fullerton (4) - 1,770

Look dude SC baseball isnt that much better than UF. 11 cws to our 10, youve got the 2 titles which gives you a definite advantage, but our facilities will soon be upgraded. Heres something else to consider, our first cws was 88, since then we have 10 to your 6. Sully would be foolish to leave.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
The Gator coaches care about:
1. The $$$$$$$.
2. The quality of life in Title Town (the most SEC-C's in SEC history)
3. The entire organization, UF, the UAA, and the Gator Nation fan base.

The Players care about.
1. Making it on to MLB $$$$$$$.
2. The quality of education available.
3. The 'family - Gator Nation' atmosphere throughout the entire program.
4. The chicks on and around campus.
5. Knowing that if a coach does leave, that another Top Quality coach will be hired.

Bum Phillips:
"There are two kinds of coaches;
those that have been fired, and those that are going to be fired."

At UF:
There are two kinds of winning Gator coaches;
~ those that have been hired, and those that are going to be hired.... :cool:

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Damn you are delusional.

If you were Southern Cal, I would be concerned. That's a REAL baseball school. But for a program that is all hat no cattle, no worries.

I like how you claim to be a top 10 program. In attendance, but in no other way, and that's only because of the stupefying lack of things to do in South Carolina.

Are you top 10 in wins? No.
Top 10 in winning percentage? No.
Top 10 in titles? No.

So tell me, genius, what exactly makes you think you are a top 10 program?

UFs baseball attendance is top 15 in the country. UF Baseball is getting major upgrades to the stadium, facilities, etc.

South Carolina is not a college baseball blueblood and I seriously doubt Sully is going to leave UF for USCjr.

South Carolina is in the top 10 all time for college baseball programs. Where's Cavgator at? He's a stat guy. Post them.

Kendall Rogers is probably one of the most knowledgeable media types about college baseball. He has said he will believe O'Sullivan going to South Carolina when he sees it.

I believe O'Sullivan turned down Texas last year. Texas is a top 2 or 3 baseball program all time. They have far more tradition and potential than South Carolina

Somebody is reporting on a 247sports thread that the new AD is going to build a brand new baseball facility near the softball complex, which is being renovated, and all within the same time frames they originally announced for baseball renovations. That would be awesome, if true.

Florida is about to put big dollars into the baseball stadium.
Here is a little nugget to get everyone excited.

Imagine you have a $30MM renovation budget. Now think about McKethan Stadium. You have ODome directly east. You have a roadway to the south. Right up against the track and offices to the west, and literally right up against the football facility to the north. What can you do with that? You are squeezed in with no place to expand. Is that really the best use of $30MM+?

If you are going to spend that money, wouldn't you consider starting from scratch and do it right... Unlike FSU's erector set football stadium with a brick facade. What about the agriculture land by softball and lacrosse? Lots of room to build a "destination" stadium.

The attendance is not what it should be for the program, true. Why? McKethan is a blazing hot concrete box with zero fan amenities. Build a fan friendly atmosphere with shade, restaurants, luxury boxes and watch this grow. Did you happen to see what Stricklin put in motion at MSU's baseball facility renovation? You should. Here it is, and this may give you an idea of some concepts being considered by top brass: https://goo.gl/images/2Y5LDj

Last edited:
Here is a little nugget to get everyone excited.

Imagine you have a $30MM renovation budget. Now think about McKethan Stadium. You have ODome directly east. You have a roadway to the south. Right up against the track and offices to the west, and literally right up against the football facility to the north. What can you do with that? You are squeezed in with no place to expand. Is that really the best use of $30MM+?

If you are going to spend that money, wouldn't you consider starting from scratch and do it right... Unlike FSU's erector set football stadium with a brick facade. What about the agriculture land by softball and lacrosse? Lots of room to build a "destination" stadium.

The attendance is not what it should be for the program, true. Why? McKethan is a blazing hot concrete box with zero fan amenities. Build a fan friendly atmosphere with shade, restaurants, luxury boxes and watch this grow. Did you happen to see what Stricklin put in motion at MSU's baseball facility renovation? You should. Here it is, and this may give you an idea of some concepts being considered:
https://goo.gl/images/2Y5LDj

That stadium is sick, but MSU already drew fans. I'm skeptical that UF's poor attendance (and regardless of what the attendance figures say, I would bet you could count on one hand the number of baseball games this year drawing 4,500 fans) is because of the stadium. Our stadium looked 80 percent empty during the Regionals and Supers. Some of that was weather, but there was bad weather throughout the Southeast, and everybody else's stadium was jammed.

State fans are really serious about baseball, actually MSU fans are just really good loyal fans in general.. Great fanbase

I already blew him up. He won't be back.

LOL.

The CWS is what college baseball is all about. South Carolina is top 10 in CWS appearances, CWS wins, CWS Finals appearances, and CWS titles.

We also have the current record for the longest win streak in the post season and hold the record for the longest win streak in the CWS.

Florida is up there with FSU in the top 10 of teams to have made it to the CWS to never have won a title. Congrats.

Here are some facts

USCe has 11 CWS appearances. That ranks them #12, tied with Florida
USCe has 2 NCs. That ties them for #9, along with six other programs
USCe has 32 CWS wins. That ranks them #10

So, I guess that argues USCe is a top ten program. If not, they are on the cusp.

Here are some facts

USCe has 11 CWS appearances. That ranks them #12, tied with Florida
USCe has 2 NCs. That ties them for #9, along with six other programs
USCe has 32 CWS wins. That ranks them #10

So, I guess that argues USCe is a top ten program. If not, they are on the cusp.

They are barely a top 20 program in the regular season. Even with a little bit of CWS luck, they are FAR from a top 10 program.

Let's ask this another way, since perception is reality. Does anybody outside of dumbfuque, South Carolina think of that halfway house for a school AT ALL when thinking about top programs?

Hellz to the no.

So they can think what they like, they are what the dog converts dog food into.

REALLY IMPRESSED with what that "Top 10" Baseball program did this year. I mean, not finishing in the top 10 OF THE SEC.

Solid effort. Gratz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT