ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Baseball

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
Once again ranked in the top five. Once again with a very good weekend line-up. Looks like we might have some bats this year. The weekend series showed several freshmen with some good swings. A lot of lefties.

We play a lot of top teams. The good news is that we get highly ranked USCe and LSU at home. We play top ten Vandy on the road though. We also get UM at home.

Lots of young arms, some freshmen who look like they're going to contribute right away and veterans who are going to get drafted pretty high. From what I saw this weekend, replacing Buddy Reed in centerfield is going to be difficult and determining who will be the main 3-4 guys out of the bullpen will have to work itself out over the first month or so. But as usual Kevin O'Sullivan has a solid team that can do it all. Maybe this is THE year!

we are the buffalo bills/kentucky basketball of baseball, we have Bama talent in baseball but never win it... maybe like richt at UGA

Look at Mike Martin at FSU. 2nd winningest coach in NCAA baseball history, wins 50 almost every year, yet no NCAA title. Getting to Omaha is a huge accomplishment and O'Sullivan almost needs to start paying taxes there he's been there so often with the Gators. Winning it all would be nice, though.

we are the buffalo bills/kentucky basketball of baseball, we have Bama talent in baseball but never win it... maybe like richt at UGA

We consistently have better talent than Richt/UGA, although I don't think we have the talent disparity that 'Bama does. UK is a pretty good comparison. Baseball's a lot crazier than hoops or football though. Having the best players doesn't mean you're going to win. It's really not a game built for two losses and you're done.

that's what i was gonna say, baseball is more flukish and even no matter who's out there if you have pitching... it's our bats that always let us down and go cold when it's mattered...

By the end of the regular season which will be higher, Florida ERA or Florida's batting average? Right now, it is an interesting bet. Through 12 games Florida has a .261 batting average and a 2.62 ERA.

By the end of the regular season which will be higher, Florida ERA or Florida's batting average? Right now, it is an interesting bet. Through 12 games Florida has a .261 batting average and a 2.62 ERA.
You gotta believe that Gator studs like JJ, India, Rivera, Maldanado and Guthrie will heat it up. Maldanado & Rivera hit really well this past weekend. Guthrie started off hot, but hasn't hit much the last 2 weeks. Hitting is streaky, but we're 25% through with the season (thereabouts). I expect the pitching numbers will be consistently low, but as the quality of competition heats up I expect they'll give up a few more runs than they have so far. This is a really solid team with experienced veterans mixed with some excellent freshmen and we'll be in the hunt once again. I would just like to see us get over the hump and win that 1st Title in Omaha.

We lost tonight to Florida Gulf Coast 7-3. This makes us 1-3 in midweek games. Considering we went 14-0 last year on Tuesday & Wednesdays and still have to play FSU 3 times plus all the other in-state schools (FGCU tomorrow, Stetson twice, USF, North Florida, Jax again), I have to say I'm disappointed at where this team stands right now.

Last edited:
Gator baseball lose to Florida Gulf Coast again, this time at home 3-2. Drops them to 10-4, 1-4 in midweek games. Announcers said that going into tonight's game the team batting average for midweek games was .205 and they didn't do much to bring it up tonight.

at least they aren't pretending this year for the blow at the end.. they've lost to about every directional school in the state already

I didn't see the Gulf Coast games, but this team looked out of whack even sweeping over the weekend. The guys who are supposed to be carrying us are really scuffling. Thank god for the freshmen, or we might have lost the series to Columbia. I expect we'll get it going.

I didn't see the Gulf Coast games, but this team looked out of whack even sweeping over the weekend. The guys who are supposed to be carrying us are really scuffling. Thank god for the freshmen, or we might have lost the series to Columbia. I expect we'll get it going.

They did a lot of swinging at air last night and looked pretty bad, the pitching for FGCU was actually surprisingly good though to be honest... the closer was throwing some off speed stuff that was dropping on a string over the plate

I like how they all ran on the field like they just buzzer beater'd us march madness style with the last out though

the pitching for FGCU was actually surprisingly good though to be honest... the closer was throwing some off speed stuff that was dropping on a string over the plate

Not to take away anything away from FGCU, but the closer they trotted out with at the end of the game with that two run lead is also their weekend starter. They had the chance to sweep the two game weekday series and decided it was worth using one of their main arms. It worked for them. They are a solid team

Our bats are just terrible. The weekend starters have to know that giving up more than 2-3 runs means a loss.

Not to take away anything away from FGCU, but the closer they trotted out with at the end of the game with that two run lead is also their weekend starter. They had the chance to sweep the two game weekday series and decided it was worth using one of their main arms. It worked for them. They are a solid team

Our bats are just terrible. The weekend starters have to know that giving up more than 2-3 runs means a loss.
The starter they used last night was a last minute replacement and is like the #6 pitcher on their staff. His fastball was around 85-88 and he threw junk most of the night. Started off virtually every batter with an off speed pitch and we never adjusted. He lasted 6 innings and made our guys look silly. Popups, strikeouts, lazy fly balls. And that was the story against Columbia, UCF and Jacksonville. Very few line drives or hard ground balls. We started the week ranked #2 in the nation and we're 4-4 against in-state teams and that's counting the Miami sweep, which was impressive. But we still have 3 games against FSU, 2 against Stetson, another one with Jacksonville, plus games with FAMU, USF & UNF. Last year we killed our in-state rivals, but this year we're off to a pretty pitiful start.

I was talking about the FGCU closer, not the starter.

I hate the way our guys seem to take the same approach at the plate that is failing. When the pitchers takes that long to deliver the ball, they need to step out of the box. Or just stand there with the bat on the shoulder, ala Cal Ripkin, until the pitcher gets ready to deliver the pitch.

They look like deer in the headlights out there.

Florida is 9-0 in weekend games this season, compared to 1-4 in midweeks. The Gators performance has been drastically different, as evidenced by a .283 batting average in nine weekend games and .195 average in five midweeks.

Junior ALEX FAEDO improved his scoreless streak to 15.2 innings with seven shutout innings against Columbia last Friday in a win. He is now 21-4 (.840) in his career.

Head coach Kevin O’Sullivan picked up his 400th career win on 2/24 against Miami. He became the quickest Gator baseball coach to reach that plateau, taking just 590 games to accomplish the feat. O’Sullivan ranks third on the school’s coaching victories list and has taken the Orange and Blue to five of its 10 CWS appearances (2010-12, 2015-16).

1. Dave Fuller (1948-75) 557-354-6 (.611)
2. Joe Arnold (1984-94) 434-244-2 (.640)
3. KEVIN O’SULLIVAN (200:cool: 406-193 (.678)

Florida is 9-0 in weekend games this season, compared to 1-4 in midweeks. The Gators performance has been drastically different, as evidenced by a .283 batting average in nine weekend games and .195 average in five midweeks.

This is probably just baseball doing it's random thing. But we seem to struggle with guys who throw slow. Other than that poor bastard on Columbia who gave up a bank shot double to JJ off of his face.

Baseball is even 'streaker' than playing golf.... :confused:
You can never tell who you will beat or who you will lose to.
This is equivalent to beating Miami in football, and then losing to FL-Int. :oops:

I did say last year that the Gators needed to hire a batting coach that's as good as the pitching coach... :cool:

Last edited:
JJ might be out of his slump. Just hit another home run. Two run homer bottom of the 1st

Gators lead 2-0

Faedo looked sharp as usual in the top of the 1st and the hitters seemed to all be seeing the ball better than they have been. Great to see Schwarz jack another one out.

im watching and this last hour is taking 7 hours waiting to kick Vandys ass

bell with another double and rbi to put them up 2-1

he has the highest average on the team by far im pretty sure and is hitting .400 something right now

They should take a significant drop in the polls after this week's performance. Rankings mean very little this early in the season, but they are just not playing up to their potential.

they will probably start beating the better teams on the schedule now... because, that's what they do.. then piss us off when it matters, because.... that's what they do

Weekend starters are solid, but you can't expect them to hold team to under 2 runs every game. Sully is still figuring out the bullpen and we are in need of a shut down closer like Shaun Anderson was last year. And the bats have to come alive. We are 13th in the SEC in batting average, 12th in hits, RBI's and runs scored.

O-Sul' says that it's time to finally settle on a roster, that he's given enough guys a chance already. We'll see now how the chosen settle in going forward...

Sully pulls Brown after 64 pitches at the beginning of the 6th inning. Not sure I agree. he was pitching well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT