ADVERTISEMENT

Dalvin Cook punched a woman

So does that mean we are in the clear for not knowing while recruiting Cook or is that only where your staff is concerned? Please. The coaches know EVERYTHING about these kids prior to them signing. Sealed records or not.

So does that mean we are in the clear for not knowing while recruiting Cook or is that only where your staff is concerned? Please. The coaches know EVERYTHING about these kids prior to them signing. Sealed records or not.
Does that really need to be spelled out?

Yes he was arrested twice while in high school. Their was an article about it in the Orlando Sentinel the other day.

Bianchi: Why is Dalvin Cook, another FSU player accused of hitting women, even on the team? Running off at the typewriter …

My question is very simple: Why is star running back Dalvin Cook even at Florida State in the first place?

Why would somebody with such a questionable past be allowed into a reputable institution of higher learning where he is now the second FSU player in a matter of weeks being investigated for punching a woman in the face?

Cook was suspended by FSU on Friday after the state attorney in Tallahassee issued a warrant for the player's arrest after a 21-year-old woman accused him of punching her in the face several times during an argument outside a bar last month.

According to records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement obtained by the Sentinel, Cook was arrested as a juvenile and charged with robbery in 2009. Prosecutors later opted to drop the case. Cook was also arrested and charged with firing a weapon and possessing a weapon at an event on school property in 2010, according to FDLE records. The third-degree felony charge was later dropped or abandoned.

Robbery charges and gun charges before he even got to college? … Hey, you want a scholarship?

Seriously, would a regular student with such a questionable criminal background even be considered for admission to FSU?

Since arriving on campus, Cook has been charged with criminal mischief following an incident in June 2014 when he was one of several players (see Jameis Winston) involved in a BB-gun shooting incident that caused minor property damage.

First, FSU quarterback De'Andre Johnson gets booted from the team earlier this week after video was released showing Johnson punching a woman in a bar. And now Cook is being investigated for battery of a woman outside another bar. The social-media cynics are already saying Cook will be treated differently than Johnson for two reasons: (1) He's a star player whereas Johnson was a benchwarmer; (2) There's no video evidence of him punching the woman.

The question I have isn't whether Jimbo Fisher will dismiss Dalvin Cook from the team.

My question is this: Why was he ever allowed on the team?

According to records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement obtained by the Sentinel, Cook was arrested as a juvenile and charged with robbery in 2009. Prosecutors later opted to drop the case. Cook was also arrested and charged with firing a weapon and possessing a weapon at an event on school property in 2010, according to FDLE records. The third-degree felony charge was later dropped or abandoned.

So he has a criminal arrest record going back to when he was, what... 13, 14-years old?

The firing a weapon at school charge is a very serious charge, yet somehow, it just went away...

So he has a criminal arrest record going back to when he was, what... 13, 14-years old?

The firing a weapon at school charge is a very serious charge, yet somehow, it just went away...
Yes that is correct. Interesting huh?

Aren't juvenile records supposed to be sealed? I find it disgusting that all these reports are now going digging for unrelated, juvenile info just so they can be the first ones to break a new story, why can't they stick to what's happening now? They're basically involved in character assassination to sell papers. Where was all this digging before his recent troubles? Regardless of what you think of Cook, this is pretty pathetic.

Aren't juvenile records supposed to be sealed? I find it disgusting that all these reports are now going digging for unrelated, juvenile info just so they can be the first ones to break a new story, why can't they stick to what's happening now? They're basically involved in character assassination to sell papers. Where was all this digging before his recent troubles? Regardless of what you think of Cook, this is pretty pathetic.

There already was plenty of digging before his recent troubles. The coaches/schools knew about his high school issues. It just wasn't made public. Now that his troubles have continued in college his past his being brought. I'm not going to get into whether that is fair or not, but that is what has happened. Cook never ever ever took a trip to UF. There was a few reasons for that.

Nobody in the media would be digging up his criminal activity from high school if he kept his nose clean in college. This is his own doing.

Reactions: Captain Caveman
Nobody in the media would be digging up his criminal activity from high school if he kept his nose clean in college. This is his own doing.

But the point is, his troubles now can stand on their own merit. No need to go digging up what I believe is supposed to be sealed records from when the dude was 13-14 to try and paint a picture. It's low class at best. The records were always there and they didn't bother to look until they could make a buck off of it.

It's called sensationalized journalism, oozie. Kind of like finding salmonella poisoning at a restaurant in Wyoming, then searching the rest of the country for similar occurrences in order to paint the picture of an "outbreak." See H1N1 for another example.

That said, had Cook just kept his nose clean, this wouldn't even be an issue. How hard is it to just behave?

Reactions: Captain Caveman
It's called sensationalized journalism, oozie. Kind of like finding salmonella poisoning at a restaurant in Wyoming, then searching the rest of the country for similar occurrences in order to paint the picture of an "outbreak." See H1N1 for another example.

That said, had Cook just kept his nose clean, this wouldn't even be an issue. How hard is it to just behave?

Actually more like searching the public health records for other violations at THAT restaurant. Prior violations once considered minor now look like a systemic issue rather than unrelated events.

Actually more like searching the public health records for other violations at THAT restaurant. Prior violations once considered minor now look like a systemic issue rather than unrelated events.

Well, in this case NYT WILL publish a 30+ page article specifically about FSU and the women it's football player abuse. They will dig and dig and dig until every stone is unturned to paint FSU as THE premiere university for the mistreatment of women.

That said, it's pretty easy to avoid. Don't abuse women (or anyone for that matter) and the sensationalized media won't be looking to keep "the topic at hand" on the proverbial front page. i.e. don't fuel the fire.

You are the most level headed poster here.

But the point is, his troubles now can stand on their own merit. No need to go digging up what I believe is supposed to be sealed records from when the dude was 13-14 to try and paint a picture. It's low class at best. The records were always there and they didn't bother to look until they could make a buck off of it.

That makes absolutely no sense. What reporter has the time to look into the past criminal activity of every NCAA athlete in the country? They aren't going to start looking into it unless there is a reason. Cook gave them a reason to suspect that he might have some character issues and that's why they are looking into it now.

That makes absolutely no sense. What reporter has the time to look into the past criminal activity of every NCAA athlete in the country? They aren't going to start looking into it unless there is a reason. Cook gave them a reason to suspect that he might have some character issues and that's why they are looking into it now.
Glad u posted it. Its almost too easily and obviously explained but I hammered away on oozie's position in the deandre johnson thread so I was going to let this gem of his slide.

Actually, you're helping to make my point. This ain't even his first run in with the law at FSU. If they cared to look, they could have before now . Either they knew and held the info waiting for something else to break or they didn't do their HW and now want to look like they're breaking info. no one else could access, either way it makes them look like shitty journalists so don't try to sell me on you being some deep investigative journalist now like these clowns are doing by piling on all his past incidents most of which were already known.

Like I said above, his current issues can stand on their own merit. Its low class to go digging into juvenile BS so you can say 'see, see, look what I have over here!' It's pathetic piling on at this point, like the dog story. WTF does that have to do with his current issue? I said the same exact thing when Treon was accused and arrested and the same idiots went looking for misdemeanors he picked up as a minor to somehow paint him as some kind of career criminal. It's reporting of the worst kind.

The lone witness who wasn't affiliated with either Cook or the woman couldn't identify Cook in a photo lineup, and the Tallahassee police officer on the scene reported that the accuser was difficult to understand because she was so intoxicated.

How was he not expelled for having and/or firing a weapon on school property?? Something seems fishy about that.
Very interesting...how was jameis and his thug gang not kicked out of school

Go Canes!

Last edited:
The bigger issue is whether kids with violent criminal backgrounds should be on scholarship, or even be on college campuses to begin with, particularly when their scholarships are taxpayer funded. If I'm sending my 18 year old away to school, I'd prefer there not be roving bands of school sponsored felons trolling the local bars with immunity from prosecution. It's not just FSU. Meyer brought back Ronnie Wilson after he was recorded on a 911 call firing a freaking machine gun in the air.

Good journalism should raise those questions. It's legit to ask where this concern was when he was being recruited and legit to ask why the Orlando Sentinel, and any other paper covering Florida recruiting, wasn't raising these questions to begin with.

The bigger issue is whether kids with violent criminal backgrounds should be on scholarship, or even be on college campuses to begin with, particularly when their scholarships are taxpayer funded. If I'm sending my 18 year old away to school, I'd prefer there not be roving bands of school sponsored felons trolling the local bars with immunity from prosecution. It's not just FSU. Meyer brought back Ronnie Wilson after he was recorded on a 911 call firing a freaking machine gun in the air.

Good journalism should raise those questions. It's legit to ask where this concern was when he was being recruited and legit to ask why the Orlando Sentinel, and any other paper covering Florida recruiting, wasn't raising these questions to begin with.

I agree, we shouldn't be finding out that these kids have had issues all along and they were simply swept under a "juvenile" rug (of sorts). Maybe if universities started sending the message theses kids won't have an NCAA future (much less an NFL one), maybe they will start "behaving" in High School long before they get to these collegiate programs.

I wonder if anyone's taken the time to do any concrete research that equates criminal activity to the success of a program...which at its heart will have rosters full of high-profile players. When you dial back to Miami in its heyday, they were winning championships and "slap'n hoes", so to speak...the same goes for Meyer's reign of championships as well as Bowden's (Free Shoes U, Dillardgate, etc.) You have to believe these "star athletes" were treated like gods on their high school campuses, which likely led to inflated egos (obviously not in all cases, but in the cases of those we're discussing). Maybe that's why don't see a lot of these cases at Akron, Wake Forest, Marshall, etc.

That was exactly the point I was making. They're just cowardly piling on now.

And I agree with most of what you're saying BUT people deserve a second chance too. A lot of these guys aren't coming from the best of circumstances, why should something they did at 13-14 doom the rest of their life? I think you have to take it on a case by case basis.

Probably the best and most accurate post in the entire thread. This is right on the money. Essentially Cook has been given 1st and 2nd chances already from his high school days and he still hasn't learned his lesson. This is his own doing.

This is his own doing.

If it turns out to be true (which it likely will), then you and ky are spot on...don't give the media-frenzy anything to report on and they will go away. As it stands two wrongs don't make a right, but FSU has to endure the negative press until Jimbo gets these kids under control. Sadly, "banning players from bars" isn't addressing the core issue. It's like hiding all the liquor from your alcoholic friend thinking that will stop him from drinking. That said, with the world is judging him (press, social media, et al) so what else was he to do? He has to show that something is being done to curtail this negative culture...even if it's less than .01% of FSU student athletes.

No wonder coaches want to go to the NFL...the college baby-sitting gig is for the birds...which is sad because there are likely 80 other players "doing it right."

This Cook kid... a refreshing combination of Mike Vick & Ike Turner.

MikeandIkeCandyWrapper.png

I know it doesn't matter over here but reading the details of the case, this is not a strong case against Cook at all and these charges will probably get dropped as soon as he goes to court. Any competent counsel can get him cleared of this.

I know it doesn't matter over here but reading the details of the case, this is not a strong case against Cook at all and these charges will probably get dropped as soon as he goes to court. Any competent counsel can get him cleared of this.

But cleared or didn't do it? This will go over like a fart in church with the public as in cases like this people are guilty simply upon accusation. I'll admit, I haven't read the details, but something will have to show that he literally did not commit this crime.

Take Winston, for instance, Erica will have to come forward one day and admit she lied or Cashier's video will have to surface for him to be exonerated in the eyes of the public...nobody cares about her story fabrications.

Regardless, my opinion stands...if Cook did it he should be gone. Same as if Winston were guilty, he should have been gone (and we ALL know my opinion on the latter).

Last edited:
This must be what they're feeding you simpletons on the slant.

OJ was found innocent, Cook can be found innocent as well

Go Canes!

This must be what they're feeding you simpletons on the slant.

OJ was found innocent, Cook can be found innocent as well

Go Canes!

"Patel said witnesses in the case were intoxicated. He said investigators were presented three versions of what occurred and that his research indicates one alleged witness was actually not present."

This is not going to be an open and shut case. Cook has a lawyer and his FSU career is on the line.

That was exactly the point I was making. They're just cowardly piling on now.

And I agree with most of what you're saying BUT people deserve a second chance too. A lot of these guys aren't coming from the best of circumstances, why should something they did at 13-14 doom the rest of their life? I think you have to take it on a case by case basis.

Apparently, Cook is fresh off of chance #3, likely on his way to chance #4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT