ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

Golden said Kugel wasn’t hurt. Said he wasn’t “locked in.” I’m not judging anyone, but if you’re ok getting benched in a game like that while your team loses in OT, you’re a space cadet.
Kugel isn't playing well IMO. He's trying to do much and because of that he's taking bad shots and turning the ball over. I do think Golden should have put him during that cold stretch late in the second half. We couldn't get a good look and Riley has the ability to create his own shots.

Keeping in mind that coaches have to be very careful about what they say concerning the officiating...
Here's just one of the many bad/missed calls in the iG's OHO....

On Mo Wague's suspension after elbowing Alex Condon in the head on Saturday:
“We got a notification from the league yesterday. I think everybody would have liked for it to be handled in real time a little better. Obviously, during the game, the foul was called on Alex and that was tough to swallow." -- Todd Golden

On what upset him most after Condon was elbowed:
“I thought in real time, I was upset they called the foul on Alex. I thought he did a good job of being the first to the floor and getting his hand on the ball. We saw multiple bodies diving in there. When we came out of that scrum with the foul on Alex, I was really confused. That’s why I was upset.”

On playing through the whistle:
"I think we've gotten better that way. I think early on in the year we were a little too emotional about officiating and we allowed it to take us out of our game a little bit. ----- I think we've been better that way in terms of playing through the (often bad/biased - iG) officiating and not allowing it to affect our mentality."
==========

With bad or biased officiating, you don't have to miss every call, just a few key important ones at the right time to change a games outcome.-- iG

Last edited:
Reactions: NavigatorII
Keeping in mind that coaches have to be very careful about what they say concerning the officiating...
Here's just one of the many bad/missed calls in the iG's OHO....

On Mo Wague's suspension after elbowing Alex Condon in the head on Saturday:
“We got a notification from the league yesterday. I think everybody would have liked for it to be handled in real time a little better. Obviously, during the game, the foul was called on Alex and that was tough to swallow." -- Todd Golden

On what upset him most after Condon was elbowed:
“I thought in real time, I was upset they called the foul on Alex. I thought he did a good job of being the first to the floor and getting his hand on the ball. We saw multiple bodies diving in there. When we came out of that scrum with the foul on Alex, I was really confused. That’s why I was upset.”

On playing through the whistle:
"I think we've gotten better that way. I think early on in the year we were a little too emotional about officiating and we allowed it to take us out of our game a little bit. ----- I think we've been better that way in terms of playing through the (bad/biased - iG) officiating and not allowing it to affect our mentality."
==========

With bad or biased officiating, you don't have to miss every call, just a few key important ones at the right time to change a games outcome.-- iG

I see you woke up from your Joe Biden style nap as Bradley posted this earlier today.

If you ask me, Miss State should count as a quad 1 win for UF.
This is the criteria for a Quad 1 win:
How are the NET rankings used? · Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
AQnd the classification of Quads 1, 2, 3 and 4 wins moves up and down throughout the season as the opponents ranking change. Right now Miss. State's NET ranking is 36, so not Quad 1 yet.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
This is the criteria for a Quad 1 win:
How are the NET rankings used? · Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
AQnd the classification of Quads 1, 2, 3 and 4 wins moves up and down throughout the season as the opponents ranking change. Right now Miss. State's NET ranking is 36, so not Quad 1 yet.
Yes, and they just pounded LSU on the road and beat Kentucky so they should certainly move up a few spots.

Gators 77 - 64 Commies

Top 3 Gators:
"Just the facts Ma'am..." -- Sgt Friday

Minutes:
Clayton 34
Pullin 33
Richard 31

Scoring:
Richard 21
Clayton 19
Samuel 15

Field Goals:
Samuel 7/9
Clayton 7/12
Richard 7/13

Three's:
Richard 5/9
Clayton 3/7
Haugh1/4

Rebounds: Off-Def
Condon 9 - 2-7
Samuel 6 - 3-3
Richard 4 - 1-3

Blocks:
Samuel 2
Haugh 2
Handlogten 1

Steals:
Richard 2
Clayton-Pullin-Condon 1

Assists:
Pullin 6
Richard 3
Clayton-Samuel-Handlogten 2

Turn-Overs:
Richard 3
Condon 2
Kublickas 2

Outliers:
Handlogten 5 PF's
Pullen 2 Pts
Samuel 1/5 FT's
==========

JMOHO -- The UF / VU game was as poorly called as I'm used to by the SEC officials....

Gators 77 - 64 Commies

Top 3 Gators:
"Just the facts Ma'am..." -- Sgt Friday

Minutes:
Clayton 34
Pullin 33
Richard 31

Scoring:
Richard 21
Clayton 19
Samuel 15

Field Goals:
Samuel 7/9
Clayton 7/12
Richard 7/13

Three's:
Richard 5/9
Clayton 3/7
Haugh1/4

Rebounds: Off-Def
Condon 9 - 2-7
Samuel 6 - 3-3
Richard 4 - 1-3

Blocks:
Samuel 2
Haugh 2
Handlogten 1

Steals:
Richard 2
Clayton-Pullin-Condon 1

Assists:
Pullin 6
Richard 3
Clayton-Samuel-Handlogten 2

Turn-Overs:
Richard 3
Condon 2
Kublickas 2

Outliers:
Handlogten 5 PF's
Pullen 2 Pts
Samuel 1/5 FT's
==========

JMOHO -- The UF / VU game was as poorly called as I'm used to by the SEC officials....
Every UF game is poorly called in your opinion

The most consistent performer on the 2023-24 team:

Zyon Pullin leads the SEC and ranks 3rd in the nation in assist/turnover ratio (4.10), and his 4.95 assists per game rank 2nd in the SEC.
Pullin scored 10+ points in his first 23 games as a Gator, tied for the 3rd-longest double-figure scoring streak by a Gator since 1996-97.

Florida has two of the top three offensive rebounders in the SEC in Micah Handlogten (3.7) and Tyrese Samuel (3.1).
UF’s 39.4% offensive rebounding rate is third-highest in the nation, while Handlogten’s 18.7% offensive rebounding rate ranks 2nd nationally.

=================

Season Top 3 'so far' in each category:

Minutes Played ---
Clayton 839 - Pullin 799 - Richard 786

Bigs FG% --- Handlogten 64.8% - Samuel 56.1% - Haugh 48.1%
Smalls FG % --- Clayton 43.9% - Pullin 42.5% - Richard 40.8%

Three's --- Pullin 39.7% (63) - Clayton 35.1% (185) - Richard 34.4% (157)

Free Throws --- Pullin 85.7% - Clayton 83.7%- Richard 78.1%

Rebounds (Off-Def) --- Samuel 211 (83-128) - Handlogten 185 (93-92) - Condon 177 (58-119)

Blocks --- Condon 34 - Samuel 27 - Handlogten 26

Assists --- Pullin 119 - Clayton 72 - Samuel 47

Steals/Turnovers --- Clayton 30/59 - Samuel 30/47 - Kugel 29/53

P-Fouls --- Bigs - Condon 69 - Handlogten 68 - Samuel 67
P-Fouls --- Smalls - Clayton 56 - Kugel 53 - Richard 43

Kugel = Sever Soph Slump imo.....

Reactions: bradleygator
I refuse to join the crowd who always blames the refs every Gator basketball game. That just ain't real. There is no SEC bias against Florida. But Gator fans are passionate and all fans see things through an orange and blue lens, especially in basketball where there are so many subjective calls. We were called for 19 fouls tonight, Missouri for 18. We shot 23 free throws and made only 15. They shot 20 and made 16. The reasons the game was as close as it was are many: 1) This is the SEC. There are no easy games in this conference. 2) Will Richard had a terrible game. 1-9 from the field, 1-8 shooting 3's and only scored 4 points. All year, when he's played well we win, when he doesn't play well, the game is a struggle. 3) Walter Clayton had an off night by his standards, lost his cool and fouled out with 15 minutes left in the game. He only scored 13 points, playing only 22 minutes. He is THE guy in our offense. Losing him down the stretch and still winning by 9 is a real testament to how much this team has improved. 4) Riley Kugel struggled again. Played 20 minutes with only 3 point, no rebounds, no assists. He's the best pure athlete on the team and when he plays well, the team soars. He's become an enigma and we never know what to expect from him, but didn't help much tonight. 5) While Micah Handlogten had a very good game, Haugh and Condon didn't do much. Haugh only played 11 minutes and didn't score; Condon only played 10 minutes with 1 point.
From my viewpoint, we won the game by 9 points and Todd Golden is doing a great job of adjusting the rotations each game depending on which guys are performing the best. We have the depth so that different guys can pick up the load when other guys falter. Not having Clayton for the last 15 minutes of the game and yet Tyrese Samuel stepped up with a monster game, as did Zyon Pullin and Handlogten and they found a way to win by 9. We had a lot of things go against us tonight and still won the game. Rejoice!!!

Last edited:
I refuse to join the crowd who always blames the refs every Gator basketball game. That just ain't real. There is no SEC bias against Florida. But Gator fans are passionate and all fans see things through an orange and blue lens, especially in basketball where there are so many subjective calls. We were called for 19 fouls tonight, Missouri for 18. We shot 23 free throws and made only 15. They shot 20 and made 16. The reasons the game was as close as it was are many: 1) This is the SEC. There are no easy games in this conference. 2) Will Richard had a terrible game. 1-9 from the field, 1-8 shooting 3's and only scored 4 points. All year, when he's played well we win, when it doesn't play well, the game is a struggle. 3) Walter Clayton had an off night by his standards, lost his cool and fouled out with 15 minutes left in the gaem. He only scored 13 points, playing only 22 minutes. He is THE guy in our offense. Losing him down the stretch and still winning by 9 is a real testament to how much this team has improved. 4) Riley Kugel struggled again. Played 20 minutes with only 3 point, no rebounds, no assists. He's the best pure athlete on the team and when he plays well, the team soars. He's become an enigma and we never know what to expect from him, but didn't help much tonight. 5) While Micah Handlogten had a very good game, Haugh and Condon didn't do much. Haugh only plaed 11 minutes and didn't score; Condon only played 10 minutes with 1 point.
From my viewpoint, we won the game by 9 points and Todd Golden is doing a great job of adjusting the rotations each game depending on which guys are performing the best. We have the depth so that different guys can pick up the load when other guys falter. Not having Clayton for the last 15 minutes of the game andyet Tyrese Samuel stepped up with a monster game,as did Zyon Pullin and Handlogten and they found a way to win by 9. We had a lot of things go against us tonight and still won the game. Rejoice!!!
I agree with most of what you say here Ocala. We faced some serious obstacles tonight and still got the W. Mizzou actually played Tenn and Arky very tough. My problem with the refs tonight is they were inconsistent with the whistles and really took us out of our rhythm. Mizzou likes a slow grind it out type of game so no real impact to them. When Mizzou cut it to 1 with about 6 minutes to play we found another gear and got the W. 10 wins makes us a lock for the tourney. Now we need to improve our seeding.

Reactions: ocalaman
I agree with most of what you say here Ocala. We faced some serious obstacles tonight and still got the W. Mizzou actually played Tenn and Arky very tough. My problem with the refs tonight is they were inconsistent with the whistles and really took us out of our rhythm. Mizzou likes a slow grind it out type of game so no real impact to them. When Mizzou cut it to 1 with about 6 minutes to play we found another gear and got the W. 10 wins makes us a lock for the tourney. Now we need to improve our seeding.
The consitency about the SEC refs is their inconsistency. I just don't think it's directed at Florida. It was a tough game for Florida to mentally approach and we still got the win. Now focus on the next game at South Carolina. They will be ready for that one I think and, hopefully, the guys will be fired up and ready to get a big road win.

The consitency about the SEC refs is their inconsistency. I just don't think it's directed at Florida. It was a tough game for Florida to mentally approach and we still got the win. Now focus on the next game at South Carolina. They will be ready for that one I think and, hopefully, the guys will be fired up and ready to get a big road win.
Totally agree. I did not mean to imply the inconsistency of the refs was directed only at Florida. It went both ways. But it tends to bog down play and make it an ugly game which we don't want.

Reactions: ocalaman
The conference schedule is a grind for sure. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. I think the SEC is better than they've been in a decade and there are no easy outs. They have to play hard even against the weaklings to seal the deal. The Lamecocks will be tough in their crib for sure, there is no doubt about that.

Totally agree. I did not mean to imply the inconsistency of the refs was directed only at Florida. It went both ways. But it tends to bog down play and make it an ugly game which we don't want.
Especially the "foul" from beyond 3 called on Pullin that gave Mizzou the most gifted FT's I've ever seen. Even the announcers were puzzled by that BS call.
Nonetheless, every win in the SEC is a good win.

Each and every one here has a right to their own opinions.
Opinions are not right or wrong, by definition, they're just different.

The SEC officials can be any of these things on any given day/game.
Biased (favor one team), corrupt (threatened or bought), or just generally incompetent (most often).
I believe that they have been guilty of, of any one or all three, at times.
And like the FBI, while not all them in a crew suck, but it only takes one to bend an outcome.

Last night, they were of the overall poor quality that I've come to expect of them.
And when they stop sucking, then I'll stop saying that they SUCKED! 😎

That said, my opinion is mine.
Telling me that my opinion is wrong is just your own (stupid imo) opinion. 😉
Having been here a very long time, I'm not offended by other opinions that differ from my own.
It's expected, so feel free to continue to differ when you do.

'The Crowd' might only exist in your own mind, you know. 🙄
Several people with similar opinions don't necessarily make up a 'crowd.'

Just the stats ma'am...

Haugh - 11 Min - Had 2 Blks and a Stl
Condon - 10 Min - Had 6 Rbs, (2-O-4-D) with a Stl and 1 Pt.
Aberdeen - 7 Min - Had 1-O Rb, 1 Ast, and 1 Pt

Kugel - 20 Min - Had 1/3 FG's, 0/2 3's, and 1/2 FT's for 3 Pts and no other stats.
JMOHO, but Kugel is the missing Corey Brewer part so far this season.
Whatever his current problem is, for him and the team, here's to hoping that he over-comes it soon.....

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Kugel to turn into Corey Brewer. Kugel’s lack of impact this season is a real head scratcher when you consider the athletic advantages he’s got. He had some nice passes to start breaks against Missouri. It seems like if he’s not scoring he loses interest. When he gets going (about 1 game out of 5 this season) he looks like an all sec player.

Can someone please give Golden some pointers on how to beat the zone. Having Samuel stand around the free throw line does nothing but help the zone. At least go pick someone. Goodness. Another double digit second half lead blown. Has there ever been a team blow more double digit leads in the second half??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT