ADVERTISEMENT

Carry over to Gator 2023-24 Basketball :-)

What didn't help were the 8-9 turnovers committed in the 2nd half.

I'd say get those white boys sitting on the end of the bench go all Aaron Hernandez on any Cock player mocking the chomp.

What didn't help were the 8-9 turnovers committed in the 2nd half.

I'd say get those white boys sitting on the end of the bench go all Aaron Hernandez on any Cock player mocking the chomp.
Well, when you're the dominate athletic program in the conference you are going to get mocked. Nobody ever mocks the cocks or vandy for example.

South Carolina switched to a 1-3-1 defense about halfway through the 2nd half, down by 10. Our guys couldn't handle it, never adjusted, quit going inside, turned the ball over a lot, got frustrated and started fouling on the defensive end. Give their coach credit. They deserved the win.

South Carolina switched to a 1-3-1 defense about halfway through the 2nd half, down by 10. Our guys couldn't handle it, never adjusted, quit going inside, turned the ball over a lot, got frustrated and started fouling on the defensive end. Give their coach credit. They deserved the win.
Everyone is running zone against us. We did figure it out, but it was too late by then.

Everyone is running zone against us. We did figure it out, but it was too late by then.
What surprised me was how Clayton and Pullin got double-teamed out front and ended up turning the ball over or throwing it to the corner where there was an even tighter trap. They just didn't handle it well at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
What surprised me was how Clayton and Pullin got double-teamed out front and ended up turning the ball over or throwing it to the corner where there was an even tighter trap. They just didn't handle it well at all.
I like coach Golden but he got out coached today.

I like coach Golden but he got out coached today.
Maybe. It could have been execution issues on the part of our players. Their coach made an excellent switch to the 1-3-1 down 10 with 12 minutes left and for whatever reason we didn't adjust.

IIRC, someone here may have mentioned this UF team seemd to have focused more on outscoring the opposition than relying on defense. We may have opposing individuals setting personal goals against us but I'll take this offense and talent any day.

And I don't want to go all Insta, but how many foul shots did the cocks take in the 2nd half?? cocks in the double bonus and had only committed 3 fouls?
That's because our guys quit going inside and forcing the issue and making the refs make calls. Just because one team gets more free throws than the other doesn't mean the refs were bad. Our guys started just dribbling and passing it around out side the arc, getting trapped, committing turnovers and then not getting back on defense and fouling to keep USC from getting dunks and layups. South Carolina kept playing their game, driving on us and our defense got really slack the 2nd half. They scored 51 points the second half. We didn't get a single offensive rebound the 2nd half until there were only a few seconds left in the game and then threw that one away. They, basically, beat us at out own game the last 12 minutes because we couldn'ty handle their 1-3-1 defense and went away from our inside game and that affected the way we play defense, leading to a ton of frustration fouls. At around the 12 minute mark, both teams had taken the same amount of free throws and our percentage was higher. But when they changed defense, it turned the game and our guys never made the adjustment.

• Haha
Well if you watch the first half our guys down in the paint on offense looked like they were in a street fight with little or no calls. I don’t like to slam the refs but dang. The stuff Handlogton was doing was no worse.

That's because our guys quit going inside and forcing the issue and making the refs make calls. Just because one team gets more free throws than the other doesn't mean the refs were bad. Our guys started just dribbling and passing it around out side the arc, getting trapped, committing turnovers and then not getting back on defense and fouling to keep USC from getting dunks and layups. South Carolina kept playing their game, driving on us and our defense got really slack the 2nd half. They scored 51 points the second half. We didn't get a single offensive rebound the 2nd half until there were only a few seconds left in the game and then threw that one away. They, basically, beat us at out own game the last 12 minutes because we couldn'ty handle their 1-3-1 defense and went away from our inside game and that affected the way we play defense, leading to a ton of frustration fouls. At around the 12 minute mark, both teams had taken the same amount of free throws and our percentage was higher. But when they changed defense, it turned the game and our guys never made the adjustment.
Once we had our bigs running a pick at the top we were able to score against the zone. It just took us way too long and by that time sc had taken control of the game. We are better than they are, but winning on the road is a very difficult task.

Well if you watch the first half our guys down in the paint on offense looked like they were in a street fight with little or no calls. I don’t like to slam the refs but dang. The stuff Handlogton was doing was no worse

• Angry
Current basketball in the SEC looks to me like a high crime area playground court of muggers and thugs, being refereed by retired one-eyed corrupt cops.

As to the rules of the game, they've changed so much that I no longer know what a foul is, or what charging looks like, etc.....

The joy and fun of watching GOOD basketball being played has mostly gone away for me.
15 minutes into the SCa game, I turned it off to read a book instead.
I heard that the Gators lost....

Last edited:
Definitely in the first half refs missed some contact on our bigs down low, a couple times off offensive rebounds. We should get those calls because we’re out working them and making them foul.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
The Alabama game is huge in regards to seeding fo the NCAA tournament. Need the win badly.

With the SEC's excuse for officials, the Red Turds almost always have a home court advantage, no matter where the game is played....

• Angry
Reactions: gatordad3
Best game I've seen the Gators play all hoops season. Gators played hard, shots went down, attacked the basket from start to wire. Golden never let them take the foot off the gas, unlike so many previous games this season. UF defended the 3 point line and made Bama guards work hard for 2s in the land of giants. Great win!

And Samuel 9-9
It's amazing how many games are won and lost at the free throw line. You'd think at this level and beyond, more emphasis would be given to practicing at the charity stripe. It's an easy uncontested shot. I was never much of a basketball player but I could shoot free throws even if my legs and arms were dead AF. It is 99% practice and repetition.

Didn’t y’all love seeing the bammers sucking wind in the second half? Relentless offensive pressure made them lazy (tired) when they were on offense.
Once UF got a cushion on them, they absolutely shut down the 3 point line and forced Bama to drive into the lane. If not for their best guard making great shots, Bama gets bounced by 30 or more.

UF 105 - 87 UA

Richard 23
Clayton 22
Pullin 19
Samuel 19
Condon 10

Rebounds: Off-Def
Condon 7 - 2-5
Haugh 7 - 1-6
Handlogten 6 - 2-4
Richard 5 - 2-3
Samuel 4 - 3-1

FT's:
Clayton 15-16
Samuel 9-9
Pullin 8-8
Richard 4-4
Those 4 went 36-1 at the foul line...
😮

3's -- Richard 3-5

Ast's to TO's
Pullin 3-0

Samuel 3-1
Kugel 2-1
Handlogten 1-0
Haugh 1-0
Clayton 3-3

Stl's
Samuel 4

Richard 2
Clayton-Pullin-Handlogten-Aberdeen all had 1 each

Blk's
Condon 3

Samuel 1
========

Aberdeen continues to play hard and earn more playing time.

The ole HBC used to take the Ref's out of the game by RUTS.
Last night was a B-Ball example of how to do that....

The bama coach continued to position himself where the sideline Ref would be on his end of the court so he could coach them up on their calls, while Todd mostly sat on a stool.
Todd's on a 'working the ref's' learning curve I hope....

The Refs sucked yet again, until the game was out of reach in the 2nd half, then they called it closer to even as the game was winding down. JMOHO's as always....

UF 105 - 87 UA

Richard 23
Clayton 22
Pullin 19
Samuel 19
Condon 10

Rebounds: Off-Def
Condon 7 - 2-5
Haugh 7 - 1-6
Handlogten 6 - 2-4
Richard 5 - 2-3
Samuel 4 - 3-1

FT's:
Clayton 15-16
Samuel 9-9
Pullin 8-8
Richard 4-4
Those 4 went 36-1 at the foul line...
😮

3's -- Richard 3-5

Ast's to TO's
Pullin 3-0

Samuel 3-1
Kugel 2-1
Handlogten 1-0
Haugh 1-0
Clayton 3-3

Stl's
Samuel 4

Richard 2
Clayton-Pullin-Handlogten-Aberdeen all had 1 each

Blk's
Condon 3

Samuel 1
========

Aberdeen continues to play hard and earn more playing time.

The ole HBC used to take the Ref's out of the game by RUTS.
Last night was a B-Ball example of how to do that....

The bama coach continued to position himself where the sideline Ref would be on his end of the court so he could coach them up on their calls, while Todd mostly sat on a stool.
Todd's on a 'working the ref's' learning curve I hope....

The Refs sucked yet again, until the game was out of reach in the 2nd half, then they called it closer to even as the game was winding down. JMOHO's as always....
Not true about Golden mostly sitting on a stool. He is way more animated this year, gets in the refs faces a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT