ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Softball 2024

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
Florida softball kicks off their season on February 9-11 at the USF tournament in Tampa with games against Oregon State, Michigan, Illinois State, Bethune-Cookman & USF. 2 publications so far have started the Gators off at #20 & #24 in the national polls. That should be incentive for this talented Gator team, who returns some quality players, the #1 recruiting class in the nation, plus some excellent transfers. The key reason they are projected as low as they are in that their 3 main pitchers are all freshmen, although 2 of them have been National High School Players of the Year - Ava Brown in 2023 and Keagan Rothrock in 2022. Here are links to bring everyone up to date on this year's team.

Last edited:
Reactions: efinlayson56
I know last year was a bit of an off year, but Ocala what are you thinking? Legit chance to make OKC?

I know last year was a bit of an off year, but Ocala what are you thinking? Legit chance to make OKC?
The offense and defense will be as good or better than last year, IMO. And we have a new pitching coach that Walton is very high on, plus Gator Legend Francesca Enea on staff now as well, who I think will help the team a lot. But it all depends on how those 3 freshman pitchers perform and if they stay healthy. Rothrock had some serious health issues and surgeries on both legs last year. Rothrock is the power pitcher, while Ava Brown is more of a multiple pitches/location - type pitcher, but was National Player of the Year. Olivia Miller from Orlando was a Top 20 pitcher who had originally signed with Ole Miss, then was able to switch to Florida in the fall. If those pitchers are as good as advertised and adjust to D1 hitters quickly, we can absolutely compete for an SEC title and be in Oklahoma City. Returning National POY Skylar Wallace, Kendra Falby, Reagan Walsh, Baylee Goddard (hopefully at full health), tremendous transfers in C/1B Jocelyn Erickson and OF Korbe Otis, plus great freshmen Mia Williams, Ariel Kowalewski, Alyssa Hovermale and Cassidy McClellan give us a potentially powerful lineup. And that's not to mention Avery Goelz, Emily Wilkie, Katie Kistler and transfer Brooke Barnard all competing for playing time with the new blood. Lots of depth and competition, but it's all going to come down to the pitching, IMO, and I'm optimistic.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Florida softball kicks off their season on February 9-11 at the USF tournament in Tampa with games against Oregon State, Michigan, Illinois State, Bethune-Cookman & USF. 2 publication so far have started the Gators off at #20 & #24 in the national polls. That should be incentive for this talented Gator team, who returns some quality players, the #1 recruiting class in the nation, plus some excellent transfers. They key reason they are projected as low as they are in that their 3 main pitchers are all freshmen, although 2 of them have been National High School Players of the Year - Ava Brown in 2023 and Keagan Rothrock in 2022. Here are links to bring everyone up to date on this year's team.
As always thanks ocala for the update.

The offense and defense will be as good or better than last year, IMO. And we have a new pitching coach that Walton is very high on, plus Gator Legend Francesca Enea on staff now as well, who I think will help the team a lot. But it all depends on how those 3 freshman pitchers perform and if they stay healthy. Rothrock had some serious health issues and surgeries on both legs last year. Rothrock is the power pitcher, while Ava Brown is more of a multiple pitches/location - type pitcher, but was National Player of the Year. Olivia Miller from Orlando was a Top 20 pitcher who had originally signed with Ole Miss, then was able to switch to Florida in the fall. If those pitchers are as good as advertised and adjust to D1 hitters quickly, we can absolutely compete for an SEC title and be in Oklahoma City. Returning National POY Skylar Wallace, Kendra Falby, Reagan Walsh, Baylee Goddard (hopefully at full health), tremendous transfers in C/1B Jocelyn Erickson and OF Korbe Otis, plus great freshmen Mia Williams, Ariel Kowalewski, Alyssa Hovermale and Cassidy McClellan give us a potentially powerful lineup. And that's not to mention Avery Goelz, Emily Wilkie, Katie Kistler and transfer Brooke Barnard all competing for playing time with the new blood. Lots of depth and competition, but it's all going to come down to the pitching, IMO, and I'm optimist
Walton loves to play tough early season games, so we should probably know on the pitching pretty quick. Great update. Super excited for the season to get going.

Oklahoma and Texas will be joining the SEC one year earlier than expected.
Are OK and TX in the SEC for the 2024 Softball season?
>> The answer is NO. OU and Texas will now join the SEC one year early on July 1, 2024.
The by far strongest softball conf. in the Nation will be even stronger in 2025.

With last year's title, the No. 1 Sooners became the first team to three-peat as national champions since 1988-90 UCLA. This year, they will look to extend an NCAA-record 53-game win streak and make history as the first team to win four consecutive DI softball championships. (TX is preseason ranked at #5)

The remaining three teams in the top four — Tennessee, Stanford and Florida State — all made appearances in the 2023 Women's College World Series with the Noles falling short in the finals to Oklahoma. Texas rounds out the top 5.

Ranked SEC's:
1. OK
2. TN - Projected SEC-C
5. TX
6. UG
12. Ark
14. UA
15. LSU
18. FLORIDA
20. AU
22. SCa
24. aTm
-----
27. UK
30 Mizz
39 MsSt
40 Miss
===========

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – USA Softball revealed that a trio of Florida softball members made its 2024 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Top 50 Watch List late Wednesday morning.

Veterans Skylar Wallace and Kendra Falby along with newcomer Korbe Otis were named to the initial watch list for the prestigious award. The three Gators selected are also tied for the most representatives by a Southeastern Conference (SEC) member program as Arkansas, Georgia and LSU each had three players selected.
(Wallace is prolly the best returning player, but Falby is the iG's favorite player to watch playing the game.) 😉

https://floridagators.com/news/2024...all-player-of-the-year-top-50-watch-list.aspx

==========

Gator Roster Pitchers for 2024:
RHP Mackenzie Wooten Grad-Sr
RHP/1B Ava Brown Fr
RHP/1B Keagan Rothrock Fr
LHP Olivia Miller Fr

From the 2024 Singing Class
RHP Katelynn Oxley
2023 Florida Gatorade Player of the Year
2023 Miss Softball
Oxley is also the program's 12th signee that has won a state Gatorade Player of the Year as she was bestowed the honor after a stellar 2023 season at Bartow High School.

Last edited:
Oklahoma and Texas will be joining the SEC one year earlier than expected.
Are OK and TX in the SEC for the 2024 Softball season?
>> The answer is NO. OU and Texas will now join the SEC one year early on July 1, 2024.
The by far strongest softball conf. in the Nation will be even stronger in 2025.

With last year's title, the No. 1 Sooners became the first team to three-peat as national champions since 1988-90 UCLA. This year, they will look to extend an NCAA-record 53-game win streak and make history as the first team to win four consecutive DI softball championships. (TX is preseason ranked at #5)

The remaining three teams in the top four — Tennessee, Stanford and Florida State — all made appearances in the 2023 Women's College World Series with the Noles falling short in the finals to Oklahoma. Texas rounds out the top 5.

Ranked SEC's:
1. OK
2. TN - Projected SEC-C
5. TX
6. UG
12. Ark
14. UA
15. LSU
18. FLORIDA
20. AU
22. SCa
24. aTm
-----
27. UK
30 Mizz
39 MsSt
40 Miss
===========

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – USA Softball revealed that a trio of Florida softball members made its 2024 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Top 50 Watch List late Wednesday morning.

Veterans Skylar Wallace and Kendra Falby along with newcomer Korbe Otis were named to the initial watch list for the prestigious award. The three Gators selected are also tied for the most representatives by a Southeastern Conference (SEC) member program as Arkansas, Georgia and LSU each had three players selected.
(Wallace is prolly the best returning player, but Falby is the iG's favorite player to watch playing the game.) 😉

https://floridagators.com/news/2024...all-player-of-the-year-top-50-watch-list.aspx

==========

Gator Roster Pitchers for 2024:
RHP Mackenzie Wooten Grad-Sr
RHP/1B Avery Goelz Sr
RHP/1B Ava Brown Fr
RHP/1B Keagan Rothrock Fr
LHP Olivia Miller Fr

From the 2024 Singing Class
RHP Katelynn Oxley
2023 Florida Gatorade Player of the Year
2023 Miss Softball
Oxley is also the program's 12th signee that has won a state Gatorade Player of the Year as she was bestowed the honor after a stellar 2023 season at Bartow High School.
Avery Goelz is not a pitcher. She played 1st base and OF.

Reactions: instaGATOR
ocala, you don't have a separate baseball thread, so I'm dropping this here.
(start one if you want to and I'll delete/move this)

Though Florida's baseball roster appears to be exceptionally well-rounded entering the 2023 season, there is perhaps no position as well-equipped to succeed as first base. The corner infield spot has the potential to have the most combined home runs hit by players who man it, making it one of the strongest overall first base groups in the SEC.

1. Jac Caglianone 6-5 250 Jr
2. Tyler Shelnut 6-2 200 Sr
3. Luke Heyman 6-4 220 So
4. Brody Donay 6-5 235 So

@gatordad3 started a baseball thread titled 2024 Gator baseball before I did, so just move it there.

We going to be good even if Rothrock not able to pitch her best. We going to be great if team all stays well and Rothrock plays at her full potential. Have to, I am getting quite elderly....jim

Reactions: Countygator1
The iG's favorite current softball player...

The Gators return the reigning national player and been infused with the most decorated freshman classes in school history, but don't forget about their superstar and speedy centerfielder, Kendra Falby,
who enters her junior season ranked No. 3 on UF's all-time batting average list.
"My role with the team and the way I play softball is a little different," Falby said. "I'm not a player who's going to go up and just hit bombs. But I think our fans, I think Gator Nation and the people who follow our team, they know about me."

Reactions: Nicktheslick
County, I feel next year might be our time assuming no serious injuries. Both Okie. and Texas I believe will be fully integrated into SEC.....jim
Walton has done a great job here. But OK is dominating softball like the old pac 12 used to.

Walton has done a great job here. But OK is dominating softball like the old pac 12 used to.
County, I believe that any team can be beaten on any given day. If we do believe that winning is based on recruiting the best you can then coach them to be the best they can, I just believe that we are close. Unfortunately I believe that NIL and the TP will rear it's ugly head and could change everything. At my age, got to be positive. Care to join me?.....jim

Jenny Love, the woman who owns Love's Travel Stops, funds a $3 million war chest for the Oklahoma softball program, plus they're primarily paying for the new softball stadium that's being built, called "Love's Field". Hard for any program in the country to compete when Patti Gasso has that kind of money at her disposal year after year.

Jenny Love, the woman who owns Love's Travel Stops, funds a $3 million war chest for the Oklahoma softball program, plus they're primarily paying for the new softball stadium that's being built, called "Love's Field". Hard for any program in the country to compete when Patti Gasso has that kind of money at her disposal year after year.
ocala, that sure as hell is discouraging...jim

County, I believe that any team can be beaten on any given day. If we do believe that winning is based on recruiting the best you can then coach them to be the best they can, I just believe that we are close. Unfortunately I believe that NIL and the TP will rear it's ugly head and could change everything. At my age, got to be positive. Care to join me?.....jim
Don't get me wrong, I am very optimistic about our softball program and more than happy with what Walton and the ladies have accomplished. We are a national power year in and year out now. I don't see that changing any time soon. My comment was more to the point that Oklahoma is so far ahead of everyone else at the moment. That too will change one day, but they've won 3 titles in a row and 6 of the last 10. They will be heavy heavy favorites to make it 4 in a row.

Reactions: jimbo1313R
Gators win their opening game 1-0 vs. Oregon State. Freshman Ava Brown pitched 5 innings and only gave up 1 hit. Freshman Keagan Rothrock pitched the last 2 innings for the save and struck out 4 of the 6 batters she faced. Skylar Wallace hit a HR for the only run of the game. Gators only had 3 hits, a single from Wallace and a double from Louisville transfer Korbe Otis. Beavers only threatened in one inning when the loaded the bases on a leadoff double, an error on 1B Avery Goelz and a walk. But Brown made a great play on a grounder to her right and got the force at home and then on another grounder then got a pitcher to catcher to 1B double play to end the inning. Next up is Michigan at 2 pm Saturday, followed by a night game against Illinois State.

Damn, our pitcher gives up 1 hit and still loses. That blows.
Gators had bases loaded, no outs in the bottom of the 9th with the middle of their order up and couldn't get the winning run across. We faced 2 excellent pitchers in our first 2 games.

Florida just got through beating Bethune-Cookman 16-0 in 5 innings, with freshman Olivia Miller tossing a perfect game. USF/UF scheduled to start at 2:30.

Gators blasted USF 12-3. Keagan Rothrock was solid again in the circle and the bats came alive today. Got 2 against Jacksonville Tuesday & Wednesday and then play 5 games against 3 teams over the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT