ADVERTISEMENT

UF Gymnastics & Lacrosse 2024

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
Gator Gymnastics is a very young team. All-American Trinity Thomas has graduated and is helping the team as a Volunteer Assistant. Quality Gymnast Riley McCuster is going to miss the season with an injury, last year's superstar freshman Kayla DiCello is taking a hiatus from college competition to compete for the US National team. She has already won the All-Around at the Pan American Games and will be trying to make the Olympic Team for this summer. We do have the top recruiting class in the nation and started as pre-season #2. But with only Leann Wong as a consistent high level scorer, it's going to take some of the freshmen, as well as experienced veterans to step up with quality performances for the Gators to win another SEC title and challenge for a national title.

The Gator Lacrosse season starts February 10 and the Gators start the season at #12., with 2 pre-season All American on the roster.

P.S. - I know some posters don't care much about these sports, but I'm opening the thread for those of us who do.

#8 Gators lost a close match at home to #6 Alabama Friday night. They had 2 falls on the vault, their superstar gymnast made 2 minor errors on the beam and floor that cost some valuable points and the Gators had some questionable scores on the floor exercise that seemed to be lower than deserved. This team is talented, but young, miss the best gymnast in Florida history, Trinity Thomas, and their best returning gymnast, Kayla DiCello, took the season off to prepare for the Olympics. So much less margin for error than in years past.

I watched a little of this on ESPNU. It was pretty good. O’Connell Center looked packed.

#6 UF Gymnastics beat Arkansas with their highest score of the year. Each week of the season, the Gators' total score has gotten better from the previous week. And to show how elite and consistent UF Gymnastics has been, their #6 ranking at this time of the year is the LOWEST since 2010. Incredible.

I’m not up on Lacrosse, I know the ACC is loaded how does the Big 12 stack up?
The ACC is by far the top Lacrosse conference. Midwest always has some good teams. Most of the best players come from the NE and Atlantic seaboard states. Cincinnati used to be in the same conference as the Gators for several years before their school jumped to the Big 12 in 2023 and we always beat them. I'm not sure about the other Big 12 schools listed, but I rarely see their names in the ranking or in the Final 16 for the national title. It's odd to me that only Florida and Vanderbilt have fielded women's lacrosse. It's a fun sport to watch, IMO.

Here is a women's lacrosse ranking from May 2023 just to give you an idea of the top teams and this is pretty consistent from year to year.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
The ACC is by far the top Lacrosse conference. Midwest always has some good teams. Most of the best players come from the NE and Atlantic seaboard states. Cincinnati used to be in the same conference as the Gators for several years before their school jumped to the Big 12 in 2023 and we always beat them. I'm not sure about the other Big 12 schools listed, but I rarely see their names in the ranking or in the Final 16 for the national title. It's odd to me that only Florida and Vanderbilt have fielded women's lacrosse. It's a fun sport to watch, IMO.

Here is a women's lacrosse ranking from May 2023 just to give you an idea of the top teams and this is pretty consistent from year to year.
Thanks

UF Gymnasts upset #2 LSU to claim at least a share of the SEC title. Jenny Rowland has done an incredible job with this team, considering the adversity they faced starting the seasom - graduation of Trinity Thomas, Super Soph Kayla DiCello and their top incoming freshman Skye Blakeney skipiing this year to try to make the Olympic team, plus injury to quality performer Riley McKusker. This team has improved on their score each week as the season has progressed. And last night, they broke the 198.000 barrier for the first time. Amazing.

#5 UF Gymnastics beat #6 Kentucky @ Rupp Arena to clinch their 6th straight SEC title. If KY had won, UF would have shared the championship with the Wildcats and LSU. Here's the box score and I will post the article on the meet once it hits FloridaGators.com. This meet was incredible to watch, as are all of the Gator gymnastics meets. Highly recommend.

Good weekends for the ladies. Ocala, does the gymnastics team have any shot at a natty?
They do, but will have to perform almost perfectly to get there. Both Oklahoma & LSU have more pur talent this year. But we beat LSU head to head when we had our best match and they had a couple of hiccups. It can happen, but just making the Final 4 will be a huge accomplishment for this team, IMO. Winning the SEC outright is inceedible.

Reactions: Countygator1
#13 UF Lacrosse blasted Mercer Saturday 20-7 to run their record to 7-2. They host Furman Tuesday before starting their AAC schedule next Saturday by hosting Old Dominion. The conference, also, includes Vanderbilt, Temple, James Madison, East Carolina & Cincinnati. All lacrosse games from here on out are only shown on ESPN+. Too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT