ADVERTISEMENT

Why Florida is a legit 2017 CFP sleeper

alaskanseminole

Bull Gator
Oct 20, 2002
San Antonio, TX
LINK: Why Florida is a legit 2017 CFP sleeper

Laughing-Histerically.gif

...and mrs. sadgator might legitimately meet sadgator at the front door tonight riding a unicorn, wearing a sexy nightie, and begging for sex.

Somewhere over at ESPN there is an executive who is seriously considering reassigning Joyner to the Pro Bowling Association beat this morning.

Reactions: MJWilliamson
i mean it's not absurd because of the schedule again and beating michigan jump starts a launch near the top ten with big home games coming after and throughout the season.. We only play two games out of state @SC and Vandy

i mean it's not absurd because of the schedule again and beating michigan jump starts a launch near the top ten with big home games coming after and throughout the season.. We only play two games out of state @SC and Vandy
Did the Michigan game get moved from Texas?

that's a neutral field game and not a true road game, the only true road games are those two i listed.

Reactions: g8rbass94

Yup, if a QB steps up, we could be at least in the spotlight for a good chunk of next season, with a lot of opportunities for recruits to come to the Swamp. The clouds might be starting to clear up a bit!

We've been saying that for how many years? Put sadgator in the "believe it when he sees it" category. Until then, talk of Florida (and our 100 something ranked offense) even sniffing the CFP is just silly. Michigan will most-likely end that discussion by the first weekend in September in any event.

I mean, it has to happen at some point?

We've been saying that for how many years? Put sadgator in the "believe it when he sees it" category. Until then, talk of Florida (and our 100 something ranked offense) even sniffing the CFP is just silly. Michigan will most-likely end that discussion by the first weekend in September in any event.

Right. You don't just need a QB, you also need the system that allows them to be good and fits their skillset and the complimentary pieces to make it all work. Cam Newton carried an entire program but he wouldn't be useful in some prostyle offense then everyone would be wanting another QB. Same with a Deshaun Watson, in another offense like let's say LSU's he doesn't perform and wouldn't be because he isn't good. Same thing with Tebow, couldn't play QB in any other system. JUST the QB ain't changing a damn thing.

What type of qb do we need?

Good question. We run this weird hybrid offense where we're always in spread formations but run very few spread passing or running concepts. Until we figure it out we're gonna keep having issues. It's one of the reasons we've struggled to run the ball against better teams for example. Why do we have someone like a LDR in pistol or shotgun 90% of the time when they aren't a threat to run? The run play develops so slowly and you tip off where it's going from formation alone. That's one of the reasons Appleby broke out against SC on the zone read, they weren't keying him at all.

Reactions: seffnergator
A Nole started this thread. For snark. And and other FSU fans are rushing over to debunk it. For snark.

If it weren't for snark, this board would have no arc at all.

In any case, let's put some numbers around it; According to this site, the betting odds for Florida to win the NC is 55/1.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Our depth/experience issue on the D line will assure us a few losses but if the QB play gets a lot better and we can beat Michigan in that first game before injuries come into play for the D line I could see a 2 or 3 loss season if things fell right.

Reactions: miksta
actually we played at Vandy last year, so our road game is at UK and then South Carolina... We play some northern colorado or some shit team in week 2 after Michigan and Dallas, then UT at home, A&M at home, LSU, FSU, UAB, vandy

Yea a really good team would take advantage of this schedule. UT, A&M, LSU, and FSU all at home. Only have to go to UK, Mizzou, and South Carolina and all those teams might have 6 losses. Then neutral site with Michigan and UGA. We got a lot of question marks though.

U have coach mac. The man knows what hes doing

Sleeper or Dark Horse,,, certainly imo. o_O
Sure Thing? That's not what ESPN said....:rolleyes:
UF has to first win the tougher game, the SEC-C.
IF they manage that, then recent history says that any SEC-C has a shot at being the NC. :cool:
========
Just a FYI...

2017 OFFENSE -- 40 Scholarships -- 11 WO's

Mc-Staff's Offensive recruiting responsibility for the 2017 roster.

All 5 QB's - 100%
All 5 RB's - 100%
9 of 10 WR's - 90%
12 of 15 OL - 80%
2 of 5 TE's - 40%
33 of 40 Ship-O - 82.5% of the Ship-O
=============

2017 DEFENSE -- 40 Scholarships - 11 WO's
All 9 LB's - 100%
7 of 9 CB's 77.8%
6 of 8 DE's - 75%
5 of 7 DT's - 71.4%
5 of 7 S's - 71.4%
32 of 40 Ship-D - 80% of the Ship-D

My ship totals could be off by 1-2, and I din't include ST's. Feel free to make any additions and/or corrections to those early numbers.
==============

Position quality and depth has been largely addresses.
The balance between the Offense and the Defense has been restored.
65 of the Teams 80 Scholarship Players (81%) are Mc-Staff recruits.

I'd put the Gators legit chance being in 2018, but 2017 is out there for any legit team to get lucky.

Last edited:
Our depth/experience issue on the D line will assure us a few losses but if the QB play gets a lot better and we can beat Michigan in that first game before injuries come into play for the D line I could see a 2 or 3 loss season if things fell right.

2017 Gator DT's will include:

NT Khairi Clark 6-2 319 rsJr
DT Taven Bryan 6-5 293 rsJr
DT/DE CeCe 6-1 261 Jr
DT/DE Polite 6-2 271 So

-----------
NT/DT Campbell 6-5 320 Fr
NT/DT 'TJ' Slaton 6-4 360 Fr
DT Conliffe 6-4 305 Fr

And there are
9 top quality DE's on the 2017 roster.

If needed, a couple of the OL played DT in HS but started off on the OL because UF was so empty there when Mc arrived. They could be moved back to the DL if needed.
===================

I agree that the critical position for 2017 is QB, without a doubt.
They are now Lay-O-Ded with top quality playmakers, and have 13 returning OL'men with two quality additions for a total of 15, so no-prob-blem-mo there.

Last edited:
Combined SEC W/L for 2015-16

1. UA 15-1 - 2x SEC-C, 1 NC
2. UF 13-3 - 2x SECe-C
---
3. LSU 10-6 (1-1, both @ LSU)
---
4. TN 9-7 (won at home, lost away)
5. UGA 9-7 (won both @ WLOCP)
------
6. aTm 8-8 (DNP)
7. Ark 8-8 (0-1 away)
8. MS 8-8 (1-0 away)
===
9. AU 7-9 (DNP)
10. MSt7-9 (DNP)
---
11. UK 6-10 (2-0)
12. VU 5-11 (2-0)
---
13. SCa 4-12 (2-0)
14. MZ 3-13 (2-0)
===========

The Gators played 3-4-5 twice each, and 7-8 once each in those 2 regular season schedules. In those 8 games against the top half of the SEC, the Mc-Gators went 5-3. The Gator's 3 SEC losses came @ LSU, @ Ark, and @ TN, making them undefeated in the SWAMP VS SEC teams. (won back the SWAMP)

The only SEC team that they lost twice to was UA in the SEC-C games, while UA went on to play for the NC both years, going 1-1.

Now, in my own feeble old mind, that looks like one hellofajob for a new HBC, because only 5 of the 14 SEC teams even have a winning record in Conf. in that span. o_O

The Mc-Gators are 1-1 in their 2 Bowl Games against the BigTen/12.
============

So while they are probably still a year away from being in serious contention to make the CFP, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility imo... :cool:

Last edited:
Combined SEC W/L for 2015-16

1. UA 15-1 - 2x SEC-C, 1 NC
2. UF 13-3 - 2x SECe-C
---
3. LSU 10-6 (1-1, both @ LSU)
---
4. TN 9-7 (won at home, lost away)
5. UGA 9-7 (won both @ WLOCP)
------
6. aTm 8-8 (DNP)
7. Ark 8-8 (0-1 away)
8. MS 8-8 (1-0 away)
===
9. AU 7-9 (DNP)
10. MSt7-9 (DNP)
---
11. UK 6-10 (2-0)
12. VU 5-11 (2-0)
---
13. SCa 4-12 (2-0)
14. MZ 3-13 (2-0)
===========

The Gators played 3-4-5 twice each, and 7-8 once each in those 2 regular season schedules. In those 8 games against the top half of the SEC, the Mc-Gators went 5-3. The Gator's 3 SEC losses came @ LSU, @ Ark, and @ TN, making them undefeated in the SWAMP VS SEC teams. (won back the SWAMP)

The only SEC team that they lost twice to was UA in the SEC-C games, while UA went on to play for the NC both years, going 1-1.

Now, in my own feeble old mind, that looks like one hellofajob for a new HBC, because only 5 of the 14 SEC teams even have a winning record in Conf. in that span. o_O

The Mc-Gators are 1-1 in their 2 Bowl Games against the BigTen/12.
============

So while they are probably still a year away from being in serious contention to make the CFP, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility imo... :cool:

* 'INSTA-FAIL" So while they are probably still a year away from being in serious contention to make the CFP, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility imo...
:cool:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tlb06
That tripe is coming from a dust-bowl Choke-la-homa twit.

UF 24 - 14 Chokers (they came in averaging 54 pts/gm against Big 12 chumps.
They went out with their Heisman pretenders tail between his legs and yelping...

UF 84 - 52 Chokers (-32) (and I seem to remember this twit with his head-nailed-to-da-flor running his mouth earlier in the season about what his chokers were gonna do to the Gators when they had to come in to the Choker's house for some B-12 B-Ball. WRONG yet again moe-ron! :cool:

I do have some trouble with the Chokers though. I still can't decide which has the more dufus fans, the Chokers or the Schmuck-eyes... :D

6. Jim McElwain, Florida: "OK, so we know this is silly. The man just won back-to-back SEC East titles! There's a great facility plan underway in Gainesville, and McElwain has 19 wins in two seasons."

They admit to being silly, and you're still a idiot twit with your head-nailed-to-da-flor. Nothing new to see here. :cool:

Besides, your Chokers have 'Big Game Bob' leading the way in your annual dust bowl fiasco, so no worries for you... o_O (UF 24 - 14 Chokers)

BTW, is you B-Ball coach on the hot seat now (UF 84 - 52) or are you also happy with that loser?

lon kruger took oklahoma to the Final Four last year, he's not on any hot seat.

lon kruger took oklahoma to the Final Four last year, he's not on any hot seat.

Yeah, he's just as good as the Chokers 'Big Game Bob' is at getting there, and then going home empty... :oops:

And Mc-Nuss has gone to Hotlanta 2 years in a row, but this head-nailed-to-da-flor moe-ron and a media-moron clown at ESPN still insinuated that they are on some kind of hot seat. :rolleyes:
==============

----- SDS's Ranking of SEC Head Coaches entering Spring of 2017:

1. Saban - Alabama
2. McElwain - Florida
3. Hugh Freeze - Mississippi
4. Dan Mullen - Mississippi St
5. Gus Malzahn - Auburn

6. The Head-BJ - Tennis-sea (Champions of Life - but still lose to Candy) :D
7. Kevin Sumlin - aTm
8. Bret bielema - Ar-Kansas
9. Kirby Smart - UGly (but he and musclecramp are great recruiters) :rolleyes:
10. Ed Orgeron - LSwho