ADVERTISEMENT

We have fell from # 12 in the Rivals recruiting rankings to # 42

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Pretty big change in the rankings since the coaching change was made. I know much of it is a low numbers thing now but I am just hoping we don't end up closing out with a bunch of 3 stars and have a mediocre class out of the top 15 like we did that first year with Mac. I hope he can at least get us back in the top 12 hopefully.

Georgia is once again killing it there. FSU is in a situation like we were when Mac took over but I have a feeling their coach will be picking some nice recruits up based on his past history.

Our composite rating is still #18. FSU has fallen to #38 and UTjr #39.

Its all part of a coaching change. And realize we are getting a completely different offensive AND defensive scheme. We will finish higher, but if Corral drops out, the yes, we will temporarily fall quite a bit.

Our composite rating is still #18. FSU has fallen to #38 and UTjr #39.

Its all part of a coaching change. And realize we are getting a completely different offensive AND defensive scheme. We will finish higher, but if Corral drops out, the yes, we will temporarily fall quite a bit.

I could care less where they end up (of course I hope I can laugh about it) but if Mullen can recruit decent with where it was at I would really be disappointed with anything that is lower than just outside the top 10. We need the players big time now since Georgia has been recruiting great since Smart took over.

Is he early signing?

Some people seem to think Corral might pull an Ole Miss switch on us.
I know Mullen had an in home visit with him Monday that went really well. The major concern was him being a McElwain recruit in his system and not fitting well into Mullens more spread and run. Mullen assured him he was his guy and Corral was very happy with the QB coach whose name eludes me.

From everything I have read Corral should sign early and he has been trying to recruit for us. At Florida he has the clearest course to start and we are still known as a good school for QBs minus our last decade.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I know Mullen had an in home visit with him Monday that went really well. The major concern was him being a McElwain recruit in his system and not fitting well into Mullens more spread and run. Mullen assured him he was his guy and Corral was very happy with the QB coach whose name eludes me.

From everything I have read Corral should sign early and he has been trying to recruit for us. At Florida he has the clearest course to start and we are still known as a good school for QBs minus our last decade.

Corral isn’t so much overly loyal as he is stuck without any committable offers outside UF and ole Piss. And yes he was doing recruiting but Copeland and Chase have both left.

Best I can read right now is he seems to not like DM throwing out all these offers. But I think even if Corral committs DM will add another, which will likely be more the style he has always used. Corral has to decide if he is OK with that

Corral isn’t so much overly loyal as he is stuck without any committable offers outside UF and ole Piss. And yes he was doing recruiting but Copeland and Chase have both left.

Best I can read right now is he seems to not like DM throwing out all these offers. But I think even if Corral committs DM will add another, which will likely be more the style he has always used. Corral has to decide if he is OK with that
Ole Miss is a dumpster fire right now. Unless Fields is coming I don't see a more naturally talented guy comes in. Mullen is a good enough coach to design a system for Corral. We'll see.

Corral is much closer to being mobile than he is a statue. Very athletic kid.

I think the “he’s not a fit for Mullen’s system” is way over blown.

Corral is much closer to being mobile than he is a statue. Very athletic kid.

I think the “he’s not a fit for Mullen’s system” is way over blown.

I am not saying he doesn’t fit. Just saying if he comes in it will likely be with another QB, which will be a DT-QB.

I think Corral would do just fine in the offense. But I also can’t blame Mullen for wanting another given Corral’s issues.

Kyle Trask 6-5 239 rsSo

Felepi Franks 6-5 227 rsSo

Jake Allen 6-3 199 rsFr

Matt Corral 6-2 196 Fr (2018)
-----

Wildcards and Walk-Ons??

Ath Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 (WR/RB/Wildcat)

QB Nick Sproles 6-2 211
Ath Jake Ruskell 6-2 195 (QB/??)
Ath Tucker Nordman 6-1 190 (QB/WR)

===============

Mullen QB Recruits at MsSt as listed by rivals recruiting.

Dak Prescott 6-3 220 *** (2011) - NFL Starter

Nick Schuessler 6-4 190 (2012)

Damian Williams 6-1 215 (2013
Cord Sandberg 6-3 205 (2013)

Nick Fitzgerald 6-5 205 ** (2014)
NFL Draft, now 6-4 227 -- ESPN predicts a 1st Rnd pick.

Elijah Staley 6-7 213 (2014)

Nick Tiano 6-4 197 (2015)

Nobody (2016)

Keytaon Thompson 6-4 210 (2017)

Jalen Mayden 6-2 196 Fr (2018) -- same size as Corral
===============

Johnny Manziel 6-1 193 -- He seemed to be able to run and throw a little bit at his size.

Chris Leak 6-1 205 -- He seemed to do okay in a Mullen offense...

Tim Tebow 6-3 225 -- 88 TD's to 16 Ints, SEC record QB PER.
And he could run it a little bit, but never 1,000+ yds in a season.
=============

Physical size,,, and the ability to be an efficient QB, don't always fit the molds.

By Spring practice we'll all know who's on the team as a QB.
At the O&B game, we'll all find out who seems best at running Mullen's offense.
May the best QB be named the starter, and then stay healthy for an entire season for a freakin' change... :cool:

Thank goodness Mullen can actually develop and coach 3 stars...not worried at all...for the first time in a long time.

Fitzgerald has gone from being a 'moronic recruiting service' 2 Star,,, to a likely NFL 1st Rnd draft pick. :eek:

So either the recruiting service twits are often clueless, especially when it comes to ranking QB's, :confused: or Mullen is the best HC/QB's coach in existence. Prolly some of both goes into that... ;)

I am not saying he doesn’t fit. Just saying if he comes in it will likely be with another QB, which will be a DT-QB.

I think Corral would do just fine in the offense. But I also can’t blame Mullen for wanting another given Corral’s issues.

What are his issues besides beating up Gretzky's kid? People seem to think Gretzky's kid had it coming and its just the relationship his dad has with USC that messed that up. Are the other PAC 12 schools avoiding him also for other issues?

What are his issues besides beating up Gretzky's kid? People seem to think Gretzky's kid had it coming and its just the relationship his dad has with USC that messed that up. Are the other PAC 12 schools avoiding him also for other issues?

The only major committable offers are UF and Ole Miss. USCw preciously pulled their offer.

He has missed parts of two games this season because of some sort of trouble. For some reason no one will touch this kid

Matt Corral 6-2 196 4.80/40 -- Offer List as of 12-13-17 includes:

According to 247 and rivals...
UF - aTm - MS - UA - UGA -- USCw - UCLA - AzSt - Mich

According to ESPN... Add Az to the above offer lists.

Not saying that they are correct, but that's what they list as his offers.

I think this guy will thrive under Mullen. We aren't a one year fix but he can realitically expect to win a chapionship or two during his time in Gainesille.

If his only other option is Ole Miss I think the path is clear. That program is toxic right now, there arent any championships near for that program.

Due to the previous QB-whisper (Mc-Nuss) failures, I still believe in the Gator's as yet 'untested' roster QB's. Any or all of them might be much better than has been previously shown. Especially the top 3-4.
One of those 4 seems to be a bit lacking in the mental portion of the job, but even he get's another look under Mullen/Johnson coaching.

Kyle Trask 6-5 239 4.68/40 rsSo

Felepi Franks 6-5 227 rsSo (2017 4-7 starter)

Jake Allen 6-3 199 rsFr

XXXX Matt 6-2 196 XXXX (no-prob-blem-mo) :cool:

QB Nick Sproles 6-2 211
-----------------------------------------

Wildcards and Walk-Ons??

While I'd certainly be surprised if one of those 2nd 3 QB's won the starters job, I'd not be totally shocked out of my shoes over it. The Mullen/Johnson QB coaching team have certainly fooled a lot of people with what they've done with their past QB's....:cool:

Last edited:
Due to the previous QB-whisper (Mc-Nuss) failures, I still believe in the Gator's as yet 'untested' roster QB's. Any or all of them might be much better than has been previously shown. Especially the top 3-4.
One of those 4 seems to be a bit lacking in the mental portion of the job, but even he get's another look under Mullen/Johnson coaching.

Jake Allen 6-3 199 rsFr

Matt Corral 6-2 196 4.80/40 Fr (2018)

Wildcards and Walk-Ons??

QB Nick Sproles 6-2 211

While I'd certainly be surprised if one of those 2nd 4 QB's won the job, I'd not be totally shocked out of my shoes over it. The Mullen/Johnson QB coaching team have certainly fooled a lot of people with what they've done with their past QB's....:cool:

Looks like you can remove Corral from that list

Did you guys really believe you were going to take a step forward before taking a step back? Come on. You are going from whatever the heck your were running to a run spread O. Recruiting is about relationships and style. Your style dramatically changed. You were always going to lose recruits. Kids drop out faster than they can be added. You people of ALL fan bases should know what it is like with a coaching change. By summer, you are going to know whether Mullen can recruit at a Power 5 big boy level or is he guy who is going to struggle bringing in better than MSU talent. No point in sweating it right now.

Reactions: bradleygator
305741.gif
305741.gif
305741.gif
305741.gif
305741.gif

Reactions: instaGATOR
Looks like you can remove Corral from that list

Jake Allen 6-3 199 rsFr

XXXX Matt 6-2 196 XXXX (no-prob-blem-mo) :cool:

Nick Sproles 6-2 211
Wildcards and Walk-Ons??

While I'd certainly be surprised if one of those 2nd 3 QB's won the starters job, I'd not be totally shocked out of my shoes over it. The Mullen/Johnson QB coaching team have certainly fooled a lot of people with what they've done with their past QB's....:cool:

For those who were around when Dan Mullen was Urban Meyer’s offensive coordinator at Florida, there is one nagging concern about Mullen being the Gators’ new head coach.

What kind of a recruiter is he going to be?

It’s a serious and legit question, and one we probably won’t have an answer for until a year or two from now.

What we do know is that when Mullen was at Florida before, he was a dynamic offensive coach who was, let’s just say, less than dynamic on the recruiting trail. During some recruiting periods, in fact, Mullen would stay back in the office instead of traveling to meet prospects.

Things, of course, are different now. Mullen is the head coach and he’s been traveling all over the country meeting recruits and their families — and by all accounts he’s bringing a lot of energy and positive vibes wherever he goes.

Now, will the commitments come?

Since he’s gotten off to such a late start, it’s going to be a difficult challenge putting his first class together, so he won’t be judged on where this class eventually ends up being ranked.

But we can look back on his nine-year recruiting track record at Mississippi State and make some assumptions.

With the Bulldogs, Mullen won with less. That usually means two things: he struggles to sign elite prospects, but excels in player development. That’s probably the best way to describe Mullen’s nine years in Starkville, where the Bulldogs experienced what MSU rarely had in the past — sustained success.

Mullen had unprecedented success on the field at MSU, but endured a constant tough sell in recruiting. Starkville would be tough for any coach.

In his nine years, Mullen’s best recruiting year was in 2015, when his class was ranked No. 16 by Rivals. He had only one other top-25 class in the other eight years — the 2009 class that was ranked No. 25.

Mullen’s other classes were ranked No. 38, No. 44, No. 30, No. 26, No. 37, No. 34 and No. 27.

Over those nine years, he signed two-five star prospects, 37 with four stars, 153 with three stars and 28 with two stars.

Here’s a brief breakdown of Mullen’s nine recruiting classes at MSU:

Number signed: 26.

Rivals class ranking: No. 25.

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 7 four stars, 17 three stars, 2 two stars.

Top prospects: DE Fletcher Cox (now in the NFL), WR Chad Bumphis and OL Pernell McPhee.

Number signed: 26.

Rivals class ranking: No. 38

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 5 four stars, 14 three stars, 7 two stars.

Top prospects: OL Damien Robinson, WR Robert Johnson, ATH Michael Carr.

Number signed: 22.

Rivals class ranking: No. 44.

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 1 four star, 21 three stars.

Top prospects: QB Dak Prescott (who was only a three-star recruit), DT P.J. Jones, DE Johnathan Harris.

Number signed: 28.

Rivals class ranking: No. 30.

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 4 four stars, 21 three stars, 3 two stars.

Top prospects: LB Richie Brown, DT Quay Evans, ATH Will Redmond.

Number signed: 21.

Rivals class ranking: No. 26,

Counting stars: 1 five star, 2 four stars, 16 three stars, 2 two stars.

Top prospects: WR Fred Ross, DE Chris Jones, WR B.J. Hammond.

Number signed: 24.

Rivals class ranking: No. 37.

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 2 four stars, 15 three stars, 7 two stars.

Top prospects: LB Gerrie Green, ATH Jamoral Graham, DB Brandon Bryant.

Number signed: 28.

Rivals class ranking: No. 16.

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 6 four stars, 20 three stars, 2 two stars.

Top prospects: LB Leo Lewis, DE Fletcher Adams, RB Nick Gibson.

Number signed: 20.

Rivals class ranking: No. 34.

Counting stars: 1 five star, 4 four stars, 15 three stars.

Top prospects: DE Jeffery Simmons, DE Breland Porter, LB Jamal Couch.

Number signed: 24.

Rivals class ranking: No. 27.

Counting stars: 0 five stars, 6 four stars, 14 three stars, 4 two stars.

Top prospects: LB Willie Gay, QB Keytaon Thompson, LB Tyler Dunn.

Not sure how much you can really extrapolate from that though.

I do remember the rumors that he almost botched the Tebow signing. But that was a very very long time ago now.

If you haven’t been to Starkville, it’s a very uninspiring college town in comparison to other SEC programs. The name practically says it all.

I think the biggest problem we’re having right now is he philosophical change. Muschamp to Mac not a big deal. The systems overall were pretty similar, but this is different.

We’ll see what happens. Have to get a QB.

I do remember the rumors that he almost botched the Tebow signing. But that was a very very long time ago now.

That was a long time ago and a lot of Mullen's obnoxious hubris can probably be chalked up to age insecurity. Mullen is not going to change, but one would think with maturity he can learn to control himself. Saban is still a d*ck for example, but he learned how to channel that and evolve in to an elite recruiter, which he wasn't at MSU and LSU....he learned that from experience. You will know more about Mullen by the end of Summer and how well he does in his first real class. Heck, I see Emory Jones is in Gville this weekend. Maybe you feel more secure about him this class. (But here is to Taggart scooping EJ on Sunday :p)

Not sure how much you can really extrapolate from that though.

Other than he has not demonstrated that he is an elite recruiter.

Wasn't a rumor. Tebow said so in his book.

If you haven’t been to Starkville, it’s a very uninspiring college town in comparison to other SEC programs. The name practically says it all.

Do not disagree.

I think the biggest problem we’re having right now is he philosophical change. Muschamp to Mac not a big deal. The systems overall were pretty similar, but this is different.

We’ll see what happens. Have to get a QB.

I think we finally, after the last two tries, have a competent coach. Whetheer he can be an elite coach, which we will eventually demand, remains to be seen.[/quote]

\ one nagging concern about Mullen being the Gators’ new head coach.
What kind of a recruiter is he going to be?

Who's doing the 'nagging' and who's not going on what Dan's already done? Dak *** Cowboys starter - Fitz ** projected NFL 1st Rnd. o_O

\ What kind of a recruiter is he going to be? It’s a serious and legit question, and one we probably won’t have an answer for until a year or two from now.

Then come back in a year or two to ask that supposedly legit question.:rolleyes:

\
What we do know is that when Mullen was at Florida before, he was a dynamic offensive coach who was, let’s just say, less than dynamic on the recruiting trail. During some recruiting periods, in fact, Mullen would stay back in the office instead of traveling to meet prospects.

You mean like Spurrier often did??? :cool:

\ make some assumptions.

Ass-U-me.... (but mostly just you...) :D

\ excels in player development. — sustained success.

And for now,,, that's good enough for me. :)

Who's doing the 'nagging' and who's not going on what Dan's already done? Dak *** Cowboys starter - Fitz ** projected NFL 1st Rnd. o_O

Then come back in a year or two to ask that supposedly legit question.:rolleyes:

You mean like Spurrier often did??? :cool:

Ass-U-me.... (but mostly just you...) :D

And for now,,, that's good enough for me. :)

And so it begins.

And so it begins.

Being started yet again by the usual stalking circle jerker... o_O

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT