ADVERTISEMENT

We got another commitment today

Gator22222

Rowdy Reptile
Gold Member
May 21, 2016
Junior college defensive tackle Javier Edwards committed on the spot when he received an offer today. This kid is a beast at 6-foot-3, 340-pounds.

Edwards_bfsyft.jpg

According to Zach Abolverdi, Geoff Collins offered him in high school when he coached at Mississippi State. Edwards is from Houston and is playing at Blinn College in Texas.

He looks like a run stuffer. If nothing else he will eat up space. He is almost exactly the same height and weight as former star Alabama DT Terrence Cody AKA Mt. Cody.

For a big guy he can move pretty well.

In his freshman year at Blinn College he played in eight games and recorded six solo tackles and 21 assisted for 27 total. He also recorded one tackle for loss.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/gators-land-second-dt-commitment-in-as-many-weeks

Last edited:
I approve of this commitment based entirely on that picture. Guy looks like a dump truck.

What is with Blinn College?
If Edwards makes an impact as significant as another player from there who played in the SEC, watch out!

look at the stable of RB's that's happened, the make it work QB's with depth, the WR's and on defense as usual but more pieces identical to what they had when he was coaching at bama in 2010. It's the same type of team being put together, i'd be upset too if i was you.

It's going to be very interesting to see what Collins does with UF's defense in 2017.

Bama types without the Bama quality? Seems like a solid plan.

Yup. And funnier yet that consensus was Michigan St was throttled because they tried to beat Bama by being Bama. Yet Foley continues his Crusade to duplicate the Bama way.

And yes, trying to beat the team who continually recruits top in the nation with a class ranked in the 40's. lol, I am sure we are right and Saban is wrong on the players. Hell we beat out UNLV for this unranked JUCO who we had to have in a class extremely limited with spots. This is almost becoming commical.
And then of course we are trying to duplicate the Bama of 7-8 years ago while Saban went hard after and landed a top dual-threat QB because he has changed to a more aggressive offense. We still seek the game managers he won with before guys like Freeze adjusted to his method.

After finishing at 7-5, #5 in the SECe for 2015, Foley should have already fired that Mc-Chump. :confused:

There is just no future with a HBC and an OC that have both coached for teams that have won 3 NC's since 2009. :rolleyes: ---- Doom, Despain, Pain & Ag-go-knee.... o_O
===========

DT Javier Edwards 6-3 335 4.90/40
- Brenharn, TX - JuCo
He was being recruited by DC Collins (while at MsSt) coming out of HS.
I don't much care where the 2 latest DT's current recruit rankings are. The 2 new (big-boy) DT recruits are going to help solidify UF's interior DL nicely at UF"s new 'position of need' imo. One or 2 more big DT's in this class later on would also be nice, along with adding 2-3 quality LB'ers.

BTW, checking around the net, I've seen Edwards listed everywhere from 320 to 350, so I wonder who is most current and/or correct? :confused: --- Recruit 'rankings' is obviously an 'exact science' type of undertaking... :cool:

so they just aren't near as good as players that go to Bama even though it's the same exact type guys they were recruiting at every position while he coached there, because.... they didn't pick alabama

you guys literally talk about Florida like it's wake forest talent wise, at best...

Reactions: TennesseeGator
so they just aren't near as good as players that go to Bama even though it's the same exact type guys they were recruiting at every position while he coached there, because.... they didn't pick alabama

you guys literally talk about Florida like it's wake forest talent wise, at best...

I'm trying to cut through the hyperbole and sarcasm to your actual intended meaning.

In light of that, can you tell us if you are suggesting that UF is really recruiting as well as Bama?

BBB, are all things equal between all of the SEC teams?
That's as dumb and as irrelevant as your question seems to be. :confused:
Anyone wanting to talk bama recruiting, should be on their board. o_O
However, where was UF's kicker flipped away from?
Who was unsuccessful in flipping the Ala. LB and the Ala. RB?
Moving right along.... (and I don't G-a-S what bama is doing or does)
=========

The state of Florida's #1 TE and Gator commit is Kemore Gamble. He is from Miami Southridge.

He has been heavily recruiting his HS teammate, CB Shawn Davis 6-1 195 to follow him. Davis already has more than 2 dozen ship offers including:
UF--UA-AU-Ark-UG-UK-Ms-MsSt-SCa-Tn---Mia-Neb-USC-WVa-etc...
(so he's obviously only a rivals 3 star???) :rolleyes:

* Gator commit Gamble said of Davis: “I think we’ll get him.”

They are also both working on 2018 WR Mark Pope to join them as Gators. Apparently their efforts are paying off. Mark Pope, a top rated 2018 WR that's also from Southridge, told SEC Country both Davis and Gamble are recruiting him to Florida. “Some kids from my school are coming here,” Pope said. “They've been in my ear, Shawn Davis and Kemore Gamble.”

So if Davis is also recruiting Pope to UF, then it makes sense that he's a 'soon to be' UF commit.

Last edited:
I'm trying to cut through the hyperbole and sarcasm to your actual intended meaning.

In light of that, can you tell us if you are suggesting that UF is really recruiting as well as Bama?

We have zero talent according to everyone here

This commit is a head scratcher being that he has a horrible offer list and only had 27 tackles and 1 tackle for loss at JUCO last year. Our defense is going to struggle in 2017 after the last of Muschamp's recruits are gone. Mac is doing some great things with the skill positions on offense but are commits on defense leave a lot to be desired with a few exceptions.

This commit is a head scratcher being that he has a horrible offer list and only had 27 tackles and 1 tackle for loss at JUCO last year. Our defense is going to struggle in 2017 after the last of Muschamp's recruits are gone. Mac is doing some great things with the skill positions on offense but are commits on defense leave a lot to be desired with a few exceptions.

Defensive tackles do not traditionally get a lot of tackles. They eat up space and stuff the line so the linebackers can find the ball and get the tackles.

For example:

Terrence Cody (AKA Mt Cody) consensus All American in 2008 and 2009

2008 played in 12 games, 7 solo, 17 assists, 24 total, 4.5 for loss, .5 sacks
2009 played in 14 games,12 solo, 16 assists, 28 total, 6 for loss, 0 sacks

Mac's recruiting has been a bit unorthodox so far, but I struggle to understand how anyone can declare it a failure until they actually see the kids play. He has had exactly one class that saw any playing time and most of them redshirted.

Give it some time and then we can all judge it based on actual results.

Last edited:
Defensive tackles do not traditionally get a lot of tackles. They eat up space and stuff the line so the linebackers can find the ball and get the tackles.

For example:

Mac's recruiting has been a bit unorthodox so far, but I struggle to understand how anyone can declare it a failure until they actually see the kids play. He has had exactly one class that saw any playing time and most of them redshirted.

I didn't call Mac's recruiting a failure. To the contrary, I think he has done a great job with the skill positions on offense. However on defense, with the exception of the DE position, his recruiting on the defense has not been great. I respect your position that you feel differently.

For example:

Recruiting is a game of odds. There have been exactly zero teams win championships with the types of players McElwain is bringing in as a whole. AU is a very rare exception to the rule that you must have consistent top 10 classes and they happened to pull in a recruit at QB who was a "once a decade" type of player, which distorts the fact that AU was a very average team without Cam Newton....not only would they have not won a championship but they would probably have been fortunate to lose only 3 games.

Recruiting is a game of odds. There have been exactly zero teams win championships with the types of players McElwain is bringing in as a whole. AU is a very rare exception to the rule that you must have consistent top 10 classes and they happened to pull in a recruit at QB who was a "once a decade" type of player, which distorts the fact that AU was a very average team without Cam Newton....not only would they have not won a championship but they would probably have been fortunate to lose only 3 games.

I love that you claim "exactly zero" and then immediately cite a recent example.

Again, why do you and other Noles care that there are Gators fans with an optimistic outlook?

For example:

Good post BUT you're not making a 1-to-1 comparison. Bama runs a 3-4 and uses a NT, his sole job is to tie up blockers so those guys will never make a bunch of tackles. We run a hybrid 4-2-5 and don't really use a Nose, we basically use two 3-techs and require our guys to get up field. That's the only system Collins has ever run. So idk where a guy like this fits in.

Beyond that though idk how anyone can disagree at this point in time we have a lot of work to do in recruiting. We were competing with schools like UNLV and Texas State for this guy. What other than homerism makes this a good take? Ask yourself objectively if those are the types of schools UF should be competing with for recruits. Maybe Mac's eye for talent is sooooooooo far beyond every other coaches that he's signing a bunch of studs no one knows about, in which case we'll all be happy in 2-3 years. But that really defies logic if you're being honest.

Reactions: kellylexy
Then again there has been ONE team to win FOUR Championships in the past SEVEN years so that same style of recruiting has only worked for TWO other teams while ONE lucked up with that ONE QB.

Then there was that fluke kick 6 play that kept that same 4 time championship winner from making a return to tje title game. Who knows how a Bama/FSU champ game would have turned out?

Then again there has been ONE team to win FOUR Championships in the past SEVEN years so that same style of recruiting has only worked for TWO other teams while ONE lucked up with that ONE QB.

Then there was that fluke kick 6 play that kept that same 4 time championship winner from making a return to tje title game. Who knows how a Bama/FSU champ game would have turned out?

Please do not tell me you are comparing our recruiting to Bamas? If you are, oh boy, you are going to be very disappointed.

Mac seems to be recruiting much like Chump did. Overloading certain positions while largely ignoring others. This years class ranking is currently being falsely skewed by a player (Jake Allen) who may not see the field for 4 years. Remove him and this class is below average at this point.

Add to that he is not even close to acceptable recruiting among the top 20-30 kids in state, most or all of which have UF offers. Something is wrong.

Last edited:
Muschamp burned the program to the ground. The man absolutely hates offense to the point that he went genocidal on ours.

Mac is now in a position of rebuilding an offense while fighting the perception that Florida doesn't throw the ball. The kids we are recruiting now were 12 or 13 when Muschamp arrived in town and declared a good offense consists of 5 offensive linemen and a punter. These kids have never seen a Gator offense that actually tries to score points. The only thing they have ever seen is that if the Gators are down by 10 on the 45 yard line with 2:00 left in the half they will just run the clock out.

In addition, all you have heard since the day Muschamp left town is how bad our defense is going to be now. The media declared that before they even knew who the new coordinator would be. It is just "general knowledge" that it is impossible to play good defense in Gainesville without Muschamp.

Mac has an uphill battle in recruiting. He's an unknown entity recruiting in a state that is a priority for every recent national champion (and pretty much everyone else). Give him a little time to establish on field success and off field relationships.

Mac inherited PED, Treon (Treon was Muschamp's QB, not Mac's) and six offensive linemen and yet somehow managed to win 10 games and the SEC East. Think about that. When Mac arrived his only two QB's were a redshirt freshman that had never played a down and a 5' 10" cornerback and yet he still won 10 games. The defense finished 8th in the nation and survived just fine even without Muschamp's bulging neck vein ranting on the sidelines. Our offense should drastically improve this year and I see no reason why the defense would drop off dramatically. If Mac can keep winning games the recruits will start lining up.

There are bright days ahead.

Last edited:
Muschamp burned the program to the ground. The man absolutely hates offense to the point that he went genocidal on ours.

Mac is now in a position of rebuilding an offense while fighting the perception that Florida doesn't throw the ball. The kids we are recruiting now were 12 or 13 when Muschamp arrived in town and declared a good offense consists of 5 offensive linemen and a punter. These kids have never seen a Gator offense that actually tries to score points. The only thing they have ever seen is that if the Gators are down by 10 on the 45 yard line with 2:00 left in the half they will just run the clock out.

In addition, all you have heard since the day Muschamp left town is how bad our defense is going to be now. The media declared that before they even knew who the new coordinator would be. It is just "general knowledge" that it is impossible to play good defense in Gainesville without Muschamp.

Mac has an uphill battle in recruiting. He's an unknown entity recruiting in a state that is a priority for every recent national champion (and pretty much everyone else). Give him a little time to establish on field success and off field relationships.

Mac inherited PED, Treon (Treon was Muschamp's QB, not Mac's) and six offensive linemen and yet somehow managed to win 10 games and the SEC East. Think about that. When Mac arrived his only two QB's were a redshirt freshman that had never played a down and a 5' 10" cornerback and yet he still won 10 games. The defense finished 8th in the nation and survived just fine even without Muschamp's bulging neck vein ranting on the sidelines. Our offense should drastically improve this year and I see no reason why the defense would drop off dramatically. If Mac can keep winning games the recruits will start lining up.

There are bright days ahead.

This explanation is contradictory.

If I give you that Mac is fighting an uphill battle to change perception on offense, then we should be struggling to recruit that side of the ball theoreticallyand we aren't. We've actually done well on that side of the ball in recruiting. On the flip side we've been dominant on defense for a decade now, so there is no perception issue, and yet our defensive recruiting is mediocre at best. So what's the explanation for the struggles on that side of the ball? Last year we signed no defensive tackles, one corner, two linebackers, etc. Kids should be lining up to play for our defense if perception is all that matters and that's not the case.

This explanation is contradictory.

If I give you that Mac is fighting an uphill battle to change perception on offense, then we should be struggling to recruit that side of the ball theoreticallyand we aren't. We've actually done well on that side of the ball in recruiting. On the flip side we've been dominant on defense for a decade now, so there is no perception issue, and yet our defensive recruiting is mediocre at best. So what's the explanation for the struggles on that side of the ball? Last year we signed no defensive tackles, one corner, two linebackers, etc. Kids should be lining up to play for our defense if perception is all that matters and that's not the case.

I explained the perception problem with the defense:

"In addition, all you have heard since the day Muschamp left town is how bad our defense is going to be now. The media declared that before they even knew who the new coordinator would be. It is just "general knowledge" that it is impossible to play good defense in Gainesville without Muschamp."

I agree that we have recruited well offensively. However, if all you look at is the stars it would not appear that way. Mac has brought in eleven 2 and 3 star rated offensive recruits.

Much of the discussion on this thread has been about the ratings of the recruits Mac has brought in and how you apparently can't win championships with those players.

Last edited:
I explained the perception problem with the defense:

"In addition, all you have heard since the day Muschamp left town is how bad our defense is going to be now. The media declared that before they even knew who the new coordinator would be. It is just "general knowledge" that it is impossible to play good defense in Gainesville without Muschamp."

I agree that we have recruited well offensively. However, if all you look at is the stars it would not appear that way. Mac has brought in eleven 2 and 3 star rated offensive recruits.

Much of the discussion on this thread has been about the ratings of the recruits Mac has brought in and how you apparently can't win championships with those players.

That argument is still contradictory though because you also stated that we won't improve in recruiting until Mac has results. With regards to the defense we had results last year. We were a top 15 unit. So the perception that the defense would fall off has already been PROVEN incorrect and we still aren't recruiting well on defense. I would expect us to be struggling to recruit on offense while pulling in great offensive recruits, but the opposite has been true to date. I don't think there's a good explanation for that.

That argument is still contradictory though because you also stated that we won't improve in recruiting until Mac has results. With regards to the defense we had results last year. We were a top 15 unit. So the perception that the defense would fall off has already been PROVEN incorrect and we still aren't recruiting well on defense. I would expect us to be struggling to recruit on offense while pulling in great offensive recruits, but the opposite has been true to date. I don't think there's a good explanation for that.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I think a lot of people out there, including some on this very thread, are of the belief that our defense will decline once Muschamp's players are gone. I hear this thought expressed often. The reality of what the defense did this past season doesn't trump perception.

So perception matters when it helps the argument, and doesn't matter when it doesn't fit reality. Got it.

So perception matters when it helps the argument, and doesn't matter when it doesn't fit reality. Got it.

I didn't realize we were arguing. I would have tried harder. LOL

I was simply giving my opinion. You are welcome to disagree.

I didn't realize we were arguing. I would have tried harder. LOL

I was simply giving my opinion. You are welcome to disagree.

We aren't. As you can see I actually agree with some of your positions. I just want some consistency is all.

Go to TOS. Sort the Florida kids. Look at the top 30, we are absent while the likes of Bama, FSU, tOSU and others make a haul. We are the favorite for very few of the uncommitted. They have UF offers. Wether you love Mac, hate him or are indifferent, it is a problem.

Please do not tell me you are comparing our recruiting to Bamas? If you are, oh boy, you are going to be very disappointed.
Not one bit. That was somebody else. I was referring to the Nole that was comparing all championship teams to recruiting of Mc's basically claiming it won't work. The recruiting for all other teams isn't working too well considering Bama has won four of the last seven championship games.

So, Mc-Staff can't recruit well enough to get 100% approval from the doom & gloomers, or from the criminole type rivals. (jus-damn) :rolleyes:

Now, I wonder what THEIR suggestions are, for a SOLUTION to the problems, that they perceive that our new coaching staff is supposedly having? o_O (this should be good, or at least insightful of the haters true positions) :cool:

There's a huge, huge gap between thinking we need to recruit better to win championships and saying the coaches can't recruit or suck, blah, blah, blah. Context and nuance matters.

Mac has done really well in some areas (RB's, WR's, QB's,) and has been mediocre, or bad in other areas. Its funny to me how people still crush Muschamp for his failures (like under recruiting oline) but yet anyone points out how Mac hasn't signed but 1 DT in his first two classes and you're a 'doom and bloomer' for mentioning it. Its literally the same thing as what Muschamp did but on the other side of the ball. Does that mean Mac sucks or is doomed to fail or any of the other straw man nonsense you people throw out to kill discussion? No, but what it does mean is that if we want to win titles, which is the ultimate goal, it needs to be better. Our Avg. Star ranking is the worst for a UF coach dating back almost 20 years. Rankings aren't the end all be all, but as an indicator of the broad picture, its concerning. Now twist that as 'doom and gloom' as you see fit, I realize that's the only response to anything that isn't over the top sunshine pumping.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT