ADVERTISEMENT

To no one's surprise

I would be shocked if LDR is gone after this season even if he put up big numbers. I don't think the scouts like him not leaning into his throws sometimes and other things. Unless he was going to be a definite 2nd or 3rd round pick it wouldn't make practical sense either.

GF, you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that IF LDR is so bad that he's not really in the 2017 competition for QB, not that I think that he might turn pro next season. And if he does well this season, then I don't see the coaches pulling him for one of the younger guys, unless one of them really lights it up before next Sept.
========

LDR could be compared to Wuerffel, but only if he can run Mc's offense as effectively as Danny ran SOS's.
The good thing this year is, IF LDR doesn't perform well in the games (i.e. tennis-sea), Mc-Nuss won't have to put a TH in the game....
---------------------

QB-DT Tim Tebow 6-3 229 4.7/40 tFr - A slightly stronger runner with power.
A better QB for Meyer's Spread Offense.

QB-PP Kyle Trask 6-4 238 4.6/40 tFr - A slightly more accurate arm & slightly quicker.
A better QB for McElwains diverse offense imo.

Kyle is not the next TT,,,, but he is still the current talented Kyle.
He would be best used to run less and pass or hand-off / pitch more, and I think that's the plan. From what I've seen so far though, with his size and speed, he can still take off and be effective as an occasional runner.

I hope the coaches can work him into the offense this year, as a change-up if nothing else.

True Freshman QBs rarely work out well.

And we *might*, just *might* consider letting LDR take a few snaps before we start speculating what to do if he does not work out.

One wonders how the nellies are going to spin it if LDR turns out to be a decent QB

I think LDR would have to be one of those types that just can't handle game pressure to not remain the starter and nothing suggests that will be an issue.

GF, you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that IF LDR is so bad that he's not really in the 2017 competition for QB, not that I think that he might turn pro next season. And if he does well this season, then I don't see the coaches pulling him for one of the younger guys, unless one of them really lights it up before next Sept.
========

LDR could be compared to Wuerffel, but only if he can run Mc's offense as effectively as Danny ran SOS's.
The good thing this year is, IF LDR doesn't perform well in the games (i.e. tennis-sea), Mc-Nuss won't have to put a TH in the game....
---------------------

QB-DT Tim Tebow 6-3 229 4.7/40 tFr - A slightly stronger runner with power.
A better QB for Meyer's Spread Offense.

QB-PP Kyle Trask 6-4 238 4.6/40 tFr - A slightly more accurate arm & slightly quicker.
A better QB for McElwains diverse offense imo.

Kyle is not the next TT,,,, but he is still the current talented Kyle.
He would be best used to run less and pass or hand-off / pitch more, and I think that's the plan. From what I've seen so far though, with his size and speed, he can still take off and be effective as an occasional runner.

I hope the coaches can work him into the offense this year, as a change-up if nothing else.

Yep I answered that too quickly thinking the opposite.

actually, it did
Maybe it did but year but typically it doesn't or it doesn't work well I should say. Like the old saying goes if you have two quarterbacks yo"u really don't have none"...I don'the know how LDR will do but if he plays like he did in the spring then he'll do his part

So what is your preference, the one on the right or the left?
CqdgVEKWEAA0Klk.jpg

Rex was redshirted in 1999. Just like Grier in 2014. True freshmen QBs can do OK, but rarely do well. Leak is about the only TF QB at Florida that was decent.
But Rex wasn't an early enrollee was he?

I do understand that it is a difference of running scout team plus spring practice vs spring practice only.

Maybe it did but year but typically it doesn't or it doesn't work well I should say. Like the old saying goes if you have two quarterbacks yo"u really don't have none"...I don'the know how LDR will do but if he plays like he did in the spring then he'll do his part

That statement is so overrated. When you have two bad QB'a you have none.

When you have two future NFL QB's...you have two QB's.

It can work when you have two good QB's. To say "it never works" is wrong. To say "it doesn't always work compared to a concrete starter" may be legit.

I am going to watch LDR play a few games before I make this declaration.

Why? It isn't a referendum of any QB on the current roster. The point is you take as many talented arms as you can possibly have at all times and sometimes the young QB may or may not be your most talented. I think you're parsing comments looking for negativity towards LDR where there isn't any.

“After about a year and a half of running scout team and just being a help-out guy, Coach Spurrier realized I was OK,” Brindise said. “I was smart enough and I had learned the offense, so he started giving me reps.

One unique thing about Coach Spurrier is that he didn’t care about your recruiting stars.
I worked hard and all that, but I was also very lucky to play for a head coach who was just different in the way he thought.” (well, not entirely unique, i.e. Mc-Nuss) ;)

In a 2 QB system
, Brindise rsSr famously alternated series at QB with Soph Doug Johnson in Florida’s thrilling 32-29 win against #1 ranked FSUcks. :p

> A former walkon, in a 2 QB system, knocked off the #1 ranked team in the last game of the season. < :cool:

That former walkon finished his UF career with a 5-0 W/L record as the starter. :eek:

Why? It isn't a referendum of any QB on the current roster. The point is you take as many talented arms as you can possibly have at all times and sometimes the young QB may or may not be your most talented. I think you're parsing comments looking for negativity towards LDR where there isn't any.
Not really. I am not "in love" with LDR, in a similar way that insta is in love with Trask. I just do not understand the angst over his projected performance, when the only data point we have on the matter is the spring game. He looked pretty good. But that is not real game experience.

To that point, I do not know whether LDR will be a better QB than Chris Leak was in his true freshman year. If LDR is as least that good, I am OK with that.

Not really. I am not "in love" with LDR, in a similar way that insta is in love with Trask. I just do not understand the angst over his projected performance, when the only data point we have on the matter is the spring game. He looked pretty good. But that is not real game experience.

To that point, I do not know whether LDR will be a better QB than Chris Leak was in his true freshman year. If LDR is as least that good, I am OK with that.

Yea I think he looked really good in the spring game too. And honestly they all did excluding Franks. Trask made a pro throw on one of those seam routes and considering Appleby was going against our 1st team defense I thought he looked good too, and he can run.

Ideally, LDR plays like he did in the spring game and there's never any need to worry about the other QB's. Because that would mean we're winning games. I'm just sayin...in Michi's scenario if we do lose a few, I wouldn't mind giving the young bucks some snaps. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

That statement is so overrated. When you have two bad QB'a you have none.

When you have two future NFL QB's...you have two QB's.

It can work when you have two good QB's. To say "it never works" is wrong. To say "it doesn't always work compared to a concrete starter" may be legit.
I'm pretty sure that's what I wrote in my second comment after Paco's post...but it pretty much is a true statement. Typically if you have 2 QB's playing neither one of them are getting the job done...almost never do they both end up being NFL QB's.

And if you have two NFL QB's they're both gonna wanna play and probably ain't gonna hang around. Must be hell for coaches when it comes to that position. Can't recruit it too well or you scare off other QB's but if you recruit it lightly and run into some bad luck you doom your team.

No one know for sure until he plays a game just like every first year starter. We are in the same situation.

However, the players around him is what really makes the difference. A good OL can really help a QB to grow and gain confidence.

I got news for some of you guys, I'm not in love with any of UF's current QB's. At UF in a real game, none of them have proven anything yet. o_O

IF Franks performed the best and was named the starter, I'd be just fine with that. And if LDR starts and sucks, then I'll be fine with his benching. If he runs the table and looks like a Danny Wonderful, then I'll cheer him as loudly as I ever did Danny, or Timmy.

I 'think' that Trask has the tools, the athletic ability, and the solid as a rock character to be a starting QB, some time, some where. That's nothing more than MOHO from what I've seen.

For now, LDR begins the season as the starter. Well & good as far as I'm concerned for right now. How it all works out over the course of a long season, none of us knows yet, not even the coaches, so as I've said all along, we'll see... :cool:

Reactions: dakid_0812
Lol insta has
I got news for some of you guys, I'm not in love with any of UF's current QB's. At UF in a real game, none of them have proven anything yet. o_O

IF Franks performed the best and was named the starter, I'd be just fine with that. And if LDR starts and sucks, then I'll be fine with his benching. If he runs the table and looks like a Danny Wonderful, then I'll cheer him as loudly as I ever did Danny, or Timmy.

I 'think' that Trask has the tools, the athletic ability, and the solid as a rock character to be a starting QB, some time, some where. That's nothing more than MOHO from what I've seen.

For now, LDR begins the season as the starter. Well & good as far as I'm concerned for right now. How it all works out over the course of a long season, none of us knows yet, not even the coaches, so as I've said all along, we'll see... :cool:

Lol so insta claims he doesn't love any of our QBs but he has bragged about how big and sexy...I mean "special" he thinks Trask is.

Reactions: nail1988
We have options at QB, im not worried about the position anywhere near as I have past years. If one goes down we have at least 2 other guys that aren't retards coming in the game to manage things and see over the O line.

Reactions: sadgator
And suckgator would know about loving tools,,,, just like the one who oozzes does. ;)

BTW, wasn't it just a few weeks ago that FSU fans in general and Igloo in particular were harassing us about our recruiting class?

How do you like us now...bitches?

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I'll be that one guy that defends Insta on the Trask lore.

I believe he hypes Trask for his solid rock tools, because many were so in an uproar when the coaching staff offered Trask a ship. The doom and gloom crowd would go on for months about how stupid the staff was.

Then he was impressive in the spring game and has faired well (from the select few reports we've heard) this fall and many from the same D&g crowd are hoping he starts over LDR.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I'll be that one guy that defends Insta on the Trask lore.

I believe he hypes Trask for his solid rock tools, because many were so in an uproar when the coaching staff offered Trask a ship. The doom and gloom crowd would go on for months about how stupid the staff was.

Then he was impressive in the spring game and has faired well (from the select few reports we've heard) this fall and many from the same D&g crowd are hoping he starts over LDR.

Meh it's the absurdity from day one that Insta had with Trask.

Primarily claiming that hes a 5 star because Nuss made a statement like that.

Really?

Reactions: nail1988

If Franks even gets near the field this year I would be in panic mode after watching the Spring game.

If Franks even gets near the field this year I would be in panic mode.

TG, if you keep on pointing out their hypocrisy and duplicity, pretty soon those 3-4 dweebs will be stalking you too from thread to thread, to cast their constant dubious dispersions on you. It's not to bad though, I put them on IGNORE and then take their constant sniveling as a badge of honor. The amount of effort that they put into denigrating my posts confirms things for me. o_O

Just like a Bomber on a mission, you can always tell when you're ON TARGET, by the amount of FLAK that you are taking from the enemy.... chomp
chomp

Meh it's the absurdity from day one that Insta had with Trask.

Primarily claiming that hes a 5 star because Nuss made a statement like that.

Really?

You could be right.

But I'm starting to get a chuckle how some have slowly changed their tune.

Some of from Mc's two classes are starting to shine. This current class is getting some top notch defensive commitments. Add in that with the recent DL commitments the doomers have less to gloom about.

You could be right.

But I'm starting to get a chuckle how some have slowly changed their tune.

Some of from Mc's two classes are starting to shine. This current class is getting some top notch defensive commitments. Add in that with the recent DL commitments the doomers have less to gloom about.

The so called 'doom and gloom' crowd has always been overstated. Basically anyone who questioned anything, no matter how small got pushed into that camp. And when it came to Trask it's hardly absurd for someone to question why we're taking a QB early who until his senior year hadn't started a game since middle school. What would posters here say about one of our rivals if they did such a thing? Hell Insta makes fun of UT and all the 3-stars they have committed after claiming for months stars didn't matter. And likewise the guys who shouted down everyone with 'trust the staff!' and 'you're a negative nelly stars don't mean anything!' are now celebrating high ranked commits. Why if stars don't matter? The hypocrisy cuts both ways.

The so called 'doom and gloom' crowd has always been overstated. Basically anyone who questioned anything, no matter how small got pushed into that camp. And when it came to Trask it's hardly absurd for someone to question why we're taking a QB early who until his senior year hadn't started a game since middle school. What would posters here say about one of our rivals if they did such a thing? Hell Insta makes fun of UT and all the 3-stars they have committed after claiming for months stars didn't matter. And likewise the guys who shouted down everyone with 'trust the staff!' and 'you're a negative nelly stars don't mean anything!' are now celebrating high ranked commits. Why if stars don't matter? The hypocrisy cuts both ways.

I see where you are coming from but damn you have to admit there are some so negative it's depressing to even read at times. Situations like the Trask offer do initially make you raise your eyebrows. Then once you get past that you realize"ok maybe these guys know something we don't know" but instead you have the few who harp on it up until he takes his first practice snap. This coaching staff doesn't make a living on the dice rolls too often. Sure one or two here and there but for the most part they go after the same players everyone else goes after.

You have some of the posters who bitch amd moan about every commitment. We could sign the #2 5*OT thats from Florida and you have those bitching because we let the #1 5* OG get away that's from Ohio. Then we could sign the #6 overall prospect in the nation from California but you have those bitching about keeping talent from the state because the #23 RB in Florida from Ft. Lauderdale signed with Clemson.

I'm just saying right now all I can do is stay glass half full and hope this staff is doing everything correctly. Questioning there every move serves me zero positive purpose.

As far as Insta and dissing 3* recruits for UT, I hate speaking for other people but sure it stems from the six years MD Vol had critiqued any move Florida makes. Especially any move McElwain makes. Tje guy breaks down each and every signee. Now that Butch is getting below those type of commitments, MD needs a taste lf his own medicine.

Don't ever bring reasonable rational thinking to a football forum. Good chance it will not even be recognised.

I think you missed Michi's point.

I don't think he's saying to sacrifice games now to play for next year. He's saying that if Trask is the future QB (which we don't know, just playing hypothetical) and the coaches see LDR as a stop gap, then it would make sense to start to prepare Trask to takeover in 2017 if LDR isn't performing or the season goes south for whatever reason. It isn't a radical idea, it happens at tons of programs every year. The whole point would be to get your future QB some experience with the hope he gets better and better as the season goes along.

I think right now it's obviously too early to worry about that. But if, if LDR isn't performing, I'd be all for getting one of the younger QB's ready to take over also. The last thing you'd want to do is hand a guy the starting gig with no in-game experience the next year.

If Trask is going to be the guy, I think he should be groomed while holding onto his redshirt. He's not ready yet, so why burn it? If he were truly going to be the backup then yeah, he'd need some game experience ASAP, but with Appleby on the squad, we have a bit of breathing space. If Appleby or Del Rio goes down for the season, then of course the equation changes.

Frankly, there are worse situations than having a salty defense and a decent offense with a QB that, while not flashy, is smart and doesn't make mistakes (yes, I'm assuming a lot on Del Rio's part right now, but that's how he's being seen, so I'm going with it). If he can give us a functioning offense, that can stay on the field long enough to give the defense a rest, score some points, and not turn the ball over, coupled with that salty defense I mentioned, and a solid special teams group, well, that's a recipe for a pretty good season.

2017 Season:

Appleby Grad-Sr is gonzo.

LDR rsJr either continues as the starter, or is likely gonzo.

Franks - rsFr or Soph (imo, he really needs the rs)
Trask - rsFr of Soph (I would separate Franks and Trask)
Allen - tFr
=======
My 2017:
LDR rsJr - starter or gonzo
Trask Soph - starter or backup
Franks rsFr - 3rd team or backup
Allen tFr - redshirt

As always, JMOHO's... :cool:

I don't see how Franks sees the field this year barring injuries. Trask would have to be the 3rd stringer I would think and get some reps in the garbage games.

I don't see how Franks sees the field this year barring injuries. Trask would have to be the 3rd stringer I would think and get some reps in the garbage games.

GF, I'd be okay with that I guess, but I'd rather have Trask as the #2 instead of Appleby, and here's why.
Had Applebe won the starters job, LDR would be the backup with Trask at #3 and Franks as the redshirt.

However, since LDR won the starters job, and since Applebe is gone next year, I'd put Trask as the #2 and give him some 'quality' playing time whenever I could, because he will be here next year. I'm looking at next year as the Gators real chance to maybe make the Playoffs. While they could get there this year, (dark-horse) it's a bit of a long shot imo.

Just my own thoughts, but the coaches will do whatever they think is best for this season, and whichever way it goes, I'm good with it. NMJ. ;)

GF, I'd be okay with that I guess, but I'd rather have Trask as the #2 instead of Appleby, and here's why.
Had Applebe won the starters job, LDR would be the backup with Trask at #3 and Franks as the redshirt.

However, since LDR won the starters job, and since Applebe is gone next year, I'd put Trask as the #2 and give him some 'quality' playing time whenever I could, because he will be here next year. I'm looking at next year as the Gators real chance to maybe make the Playoffs. While they could get there this year, (dark-horse) it's a bit of a long shot imo.

Just my own thoughts, but the coaches will do whatever they think is best for this season, and whichever way it goes, I'm good with it. NMJ. ;)

Yep I think Mac would be reluctant to make Trask the #2 unless Appleby looked bad in relief due to Appleby's prior playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT