ADVERTISEMENT

To no one's surprise

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
It's Del Rio

Entrance%2B3.gif

Reactions: FMMG
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Jim McElwain said last week he'd like to name a starter at quarterback in the near future, and he's seen enough to make the call.

Redshirt sophomore Luke Del Rio will be the man for the Gators this fall, attempting to finally provide some stability and quality play at the position after six disappointing years following the departure of Tim Tebow. Long considered the heavy favorite to win the gig, Del Rio officially took the reins for the opener on Thursday.

"Luke is going to work as the starter the rest of camp and start in the season opener barring any unforeseen development,'' McElwain said in a press release. "Our other quarterbacks remain in the plans and are ready to move forward and help the Gators any way they can."

from the little i've gotten to see he looks pretty good in practice, with his feet, release and where he's putting his balls at least.
He seems to be able to complete a pass against air. Which will be an upgrade from the last half of last season

Reactions: sadgator
Now starting a true frosh is not necessarily a smart move. But with Trask we hear, "big arm", "throws and excellent deep ball", "can make all the throws", "moves very well".

With LDR we hear, "he knows Mac's playbook"

The issue with game managers is everything else has to be perfect.

The OL is the biggest thing, LDR won't make mistakes and if he gets protection and balance from the run game that's more than enough for now with our defense to compete against everyone we play.. which is still better than what we have had

Reactions: sadgator
Now starting a true frosh is not necessarily a smart move. But with Trask we hear, "big arm", "throws and excellent deep ball", "can make all the throws", "moves very well".

With LDR we hear, "he knows Mac's playbook"

The issue with game managers is everything else has to be perfect.
He's clearly the best QB that we have...good thing that we have a clear winner of the position...we'll see what happens and how he plays. NOT sure how you know that he's a 'game manager'..kid has never played.

The more sadgator reads about JDR the more he likes him. He seems super mature and confident in a non-cocky way. Mac seems to be a pretty cerebral kind of coach, and sadgator is betting that they communicate and identify with each other on the same level. We need that desperately. We haven't had maturity and stability from the QB spot in forever.

Plus, the receivers seem to trust him, which helps.

sadgator is almost giddy about the potential of seeing a real offense operating on Spurrier/Florida Field this fall. The last bit of darkness from the Muschamp eclipse might finally fade away.

Look for Appleby to be put in for some short yardage situations at times later in the season to keep the defense honest. He is a load and has ran over safeties and even a LB at times while at Purdue.

Heard this stat on the radio the other day. The Gators have had 9 different starting QB's since Tebow left.

Is this stat true or some radio bs?

Nothing personal against Appleby, but I'd rather see tFr Trask get those kinds of opportunities. Appleby will be gone in 2017, but Trask will be here for 4 years.

12. QB-DT Austin Appleby 6-4 240 Grad-Sr xfer - EE
And if it comes to an option pass - 19 TD's to 19 Ints.
Purdue had 6 wins in Appleby's 3 years at Purdue, with 3 of those wins coming against D2 teams....

11. QB-DT Kyle Trask 6-4 238 Fr - EE (with much better speed)
17 TD's to ZERO Ints
Trask's HS was playing for a Texas HS Championship.
(they would have given Purdue all they wanted in a game) ;)

IF Appleby had won the starting job, then imo it would be:
Appleby - LDR - Trask - Franks rs

But with LDR as the starter, I'd have it:
LDR - Trask - Appleby - Franks rs

But that's just my own wishes/opinion and Mc-Nuss will decide it.

Reactions: rminela
Nothing personal against Appleby, but I'd rather see tFr Trask get those kinds of opportunities. Appleby will be gone in 2017, but Trask will be here for 4 years.

12. QB-DT Austin Appleby 6-4 240 Grad-Sr xfer - EE
And if it comes to an option pass - 19 TD's to 19 Ints.
Purdue had 6 wins in Appleby's 3 years at Purdue, with 3 of those wins coming against D2 teams....

11. QB-DT Kyle Trask 6-4 238 Fr - EE (with much better speed)
17 TD's to ZERO Ints
Trask's HS was playing for a Texas HS Championship.
(they would have given Purdue all they wanted in a game) ;)

IF Appleby had won the starting job, then imo it would be:
Appleby - LDR - Trask - Franks rs

But with LDR as the starter, I'd have it:
LDR - Trask - Appleby - Franks rs

But that's just my own wishes/opinion and Mc-Nuss will decide it.

I want Trask as soon as the season isn't what we expect. Get ready for 2017

Even if Trask get's playing time in 2016, he won't be a guarantee for 2017 imo. Mc-Nuss will again begin their new season position competitions.
Trask - Franks - Allen --- (if LDR is out of it because of his 2016 performance)
That might be a pretty tough 3-way competition among those young guys.

With the number of times in recent history that UF has not had the same QB all season long, maybe 'QB by committee' is not quite as unthinkable as it once might have been. I mean, if you're going to need to play, or have to play more than just one QB in a season, then preparing for it and planning for it might be a better way to go about it? (as I dive behind the rocks to avoid the coming bullets) :D

Even if Trask get's playing time in 2016, he won't be a guarantee for 2017 imo. Mc-Nuss will again begin their new season position competitions.
Trask - Franks - Allen --- (if LDR is out of it because of his 2016 performance)
That might be a pretty tough 3-way competition among those young guys.

With the number of times in recent history that UF has not had the same QB all season long, maybe 'QB by committee' is not quite as unthinkable as it once might have been. I mean, if you're going to need to play, or have to play more than just one QB in a season, then preparing for it and planning for it might be a better way to go about it? (as I dive behind the rocks to avoid the coming bullets) :D

I would be shocked if LDR is gone after this season even if he put up big numbers. I don't think the scouts like him not leaning into his throws sometimes and other things. Unless he was going to be a definite 2nd or 3rd round pick it wouldn't make practical sense either.

Look for Appleby to be put in for some short yardage situations at times later in the season to keep the defense honest. He is a load and has ran over safeties and even a LB at times while at Purdue.
I hope not..I hope that we have 1 guy that can/will play...the 2 QB system NEVER works...not even for SOS.

I think that you've been talking about some season/team that doesn't exist..bro you're always making predictions..yeah some are right but some are dead wrong...just wait and see how things play out...nobody in their right might is expecting to win a national title this year. Jesus bro...the sky is always falling with you....get ready for 2017, this season hasn't even started...lmfao..really???

It would be more like Tebow was used in 06 but not nearly as much.
Well that was the perfect storm...Tebow was a one in the life time type of player...that's why I used to laugh when the media/Meyer was saying that we were going to get the next "Percy Harvin"..guess what...there is only 1 Percy Harvin...he made that name...there will be other guys but we only had 1 Fred Taylor too...guys like that only come around every once in a while..us fans want to see that player every year and while SOS was our coach we were spoiled in having players like that every year but there is a real shortage in those types of coaches. We are a really picky fan base now that we've been spoiled...and I think that Mac is going to deliver but I would hope that our coach would not gamble as much...the 2 QB system doesn't work....typically...it's a bad idea....I would hope not to see it...while we had success that one year we were trying to fit Leak (a good QB) into a different system that he could actually play in.

Not a 2 QB system. Just Appleby getting a play or two a game possibly if the situation calls for it.

I would be shocked if LDR is gone after this season even if he put up big numbers. I don't think the scouts like him not leaning into his throws sometimes and other things. Unless he was going to be a definite 2nd or 3rd round pick it wouldn't make practical sense either.

Pretty sure he meant the opposite, that if Del Rio was so bad that he was no longer in the mix for 2017.

Reactions: instaGATOR
You play

To Win

The game

I think you missed Michi's point.

I don't think he's saying to sacrifice games now to play for next year. He's saying that if Trask is the future QB (which we don't know, just playing hypothetical) and the coaches see LDR as a stop gap, then it would make sense to start to prepare Trask to takeover in 2017 if LDR isn't performing or the season goes south for whatever reason. It isn't a radical idea, it happens at tons of programs every year. The whole point would be to get your future QB some experience with the hope he gets better and better as the season goes along.

I think right now it's obviously too early to worry about that. But if, if LDR isn't performing, I'd be all for getting one of the younger QB's ready to take over also. The last thing you'd want to do is hand a guy the starting gig with no in-game experience the next year.

Heard this stat on the radio the other day. The Gators have had 9 different starting QB's since Tebow left.

Is this stat true or some radio bs?

It is true but I'm sure the radio guys didn't state the reasons for the multiple starters.

Brantley was injured in 11. Driskel would have never started that year if Brantley had stayed healthy. Same goes for Brissett who started the LSU game due to both listed above being injured. Same goes for Jacoby starting the game he started in 2012. Driskel was injured and out that week.

Tyler Murphy probably would have never started in 2013 had Driskel not broke his leg. Skyler Morenweig would have never ever started for UF had Driskel and Murphy not been injured.

Harris eventually"beat out" Driskel in 14 because some...any change was needed. It slightly added a spark...that eventually burned itself out.

Grier and Harris had a legitimate battle for the starting position last season. Grier eventually won out but we know how that story ended.

This season both Grier and Harris transferred. Harris would have never played QB for Florida again though.

That's how/why UF has had so many different starting QB's.

I'm sure I missed some. If I'm not mistaken Jordan Reed and possibly Trey Burton started a game or two in 2010. Can't think that far back but I believe Brantley was banged up late that season.

Although Brantley, Driskel, and Murphy had ineffective games, they were usually replaced due to injuries. Not counting the year Harris was inserted over Driskel to add some spark.

A underclassmen unseating the original starter doesn't always equal doom and gloom.

I'm not saying it will happen.

Will you guys think back to the 2000 SEC championship year?

Palmer whom had a winning record and a vast knowledge of the offense (plus a heroic game winning drive vs UT)was replaced in the middle of the season. Rex (with some brief bullpen help from Palmer) led UF to the SEC title that year.

I don't think or hope any of this happens(save for the SEC title) but replacing a QB does not always mean tanking a season for the next.

I But if, if LDR isn't performing, I'd be all for getting one of the younger QB's ready to take over also. The last thing you'd want to do is hand a guy the starting gig with no in-game experience the next year.
True Freshman QBs rarely work out well.

And we *might*, just *might* consider letting LDR take a few snaps before we start speculating what to do if he does not work out.

One wonders how the nellies are going to spin it if LDR turns out to be a decent QB

Palmer whom had a winning record and a vast knowledge of the offense (plus a heroic game winning drive vs UT)was replaced in the middle of the season. Rex (with some brief bullpen help from Palmer) led UF to the SEC title that year..

Rex was redshirted in 1999. Just like Grier in 2014. True freshmen QBs can do OK, but rarely do well. Leak is about the only TF QB at Florida that was decent.

True Freshman QBs rarely work out well.

And we *might*, just *might* consider letting LDR take a few snaps before we start speculating what to do if he does not work out.

One wonders how the nellies are going to spin it if LDR turns out to be a decent QB

I've already said it's too early to worry about it, but it's a message board that's what people do...talk about any and everything.

I'm just saying his point isn't overboard or something unusual. Doesn't mean anyone hopes it works out that way. I agree if possible avoid a true freshman QB at all costs but there are always exceptions. Sometimes you just don't know until you know and it doesn't always spell doom. I'd take true freshman Leak on this team right now with no hesitation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT