ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

Eugene Wilson is a stud. He ain’t no Percy Harvin.
Percy was the most talented person on the field in every game he played.

Percy Harvin 5-11 184
2006 Freshman Stats:

Rec - 34 for 427, 12.6 Ave, 2 TD's,
Rush - 41 for 428 yds, 10.4 ypc, 3 TD's,
Total Offense 75 for 855 yds, 5 TD's

Eugene Wilson III 5-10 181

2023 Freshman Stats:
Rec - 61 for 538, 8.8 Ave, 6 TD's
Rush - 6 for 55 yds, 9.2 ypc,
Total Offense 67 for 593, 6 TD's

While keeping in mind that Percy had Meyer/Mullen running their National Championship offense, with Heisman Finalist Leak, and future Heisman Tebow at QB, not the 5-7 cluster that Wilson had around him....

Preseason Ranking / Opinions and Speculations are one thing.

Actual Season Performance on the field is, or can be, something very different.

As always, we'll all just have to wait and see how things shake out, but please, no SoS excuses....

Gators 2024 Football Schedule with the ESPN Pre-season Top-25 rankings:

8-31 vs #24 Miami

9-7 vs Samford

9-14 vs #25 aTm

== 9-21 @ MsSt

10-5 vs UCF

== 10-12 @ #16 Tenn

10-19 vs #23 UK

>>10-26 OPEN<< Last 5 are all vs Top 25's, of which 3 are in the Top 6!

11-2 WLOCP #1 UGly

== 11-9 @ #4 TX

11-16 vs #12 LSU

11=23 vs #6 Miss

== 11-30 @ #15 FSUcks

Unranked UF's 9 Top 25 Ranked Opponents: 1-4-6-
12-16-23-25----15 FSU-24 Mia

SEC's 10 Top 25 Ranked Teams - 1 UGly - 4 TX - 6 MS - 7 Mizz - 9 UA -

12 LSU - 14 OK - 16 TN - 23 UK - 25 aTm -- (5 in the Top-10)

At this point, every team in the SEC can whine about their SoS,,, if they're looking for an excuse for their outcomes....

Last edited:
Personally, I'm still hoping that Billy can turn things around and continue getting better as he builds his team and the program back to respectability....

IF things (roster & W/L record) are not continuing to improve over the next 2-3 seasons, then try and replace him and his chosen staff with those that are more competent.

Most thought that 'Neon Deion' was better than sliced bread to start the season.
But by the end of the season, all that was left was the two stale end butts....

The coaching 'revolving door' method is'a fools errand' imo.

Personally, I'm still hoping that Billy can turn things around and continue getting better as he builds his team and the program back to respectability....

IF things (roster & W/L record) are not continuing to improve over the next 2-3 seasons, then try and replace him and his chosen staff with those that are more competent.

Most thought that 'Neon Deion' was better than sliced bread to start the season.

I agree with you. I'm HOPING he can do it. And the idea of changing coaches every 3-4 is terrible. But Scott Stricklin is a horrible AD, IMO, and many of his hiring decisions are slowly bringing the Gator athletic program down from the heights we achieved under Jeremy Foley. And with Texas & Oklahoma joining the SEC, it's just going to get harder and harder to win titles. I'm not optimistic, but would love to be wrong.

Reactions: instaGATOR

We've got to get settled at the coaching position for sure. Otherwise we just stay in this limbo world. I too hope Billy can put together a solid season that puts the program back on a more solid foundation. I am not confident, but hopeful.

ESPN 2024 College Football FPI & SoS Rankings: 6-5-24

Top 25 FPI - SEC has 6 of Top 10

1. UGly
2. Ore
3. TX
4. tOSU
5. UA
6. PSU
7. ND
8. OK
9. TN
10. Mizz
---
20. Florida

Top 25 SoS - SEC has 9 of Top 10

1. Florida
2. MsSt
3. UGly
4. UK
5. AU
6. UA
7. OK
8. TN

9. GaTech
10 TX

Use the Link for the full listings.

Reactions: Countygator1
Eugene Wilson III ===> Percy Harvin 2.0?
(what some of us expected at the beginning of last season)

Florida head coach Billy Napier didn't try to hide the fact that a significant part of his offensive game plan in 2023 was simply to get Wilson the ball. His game-changing speed and elusiveness demanded opportunities to make plays.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ricky-pearsall-billy-napier-roster-232092535/

Not sure on Wilson. He may take a huge jump this year but he seemed to be kept in check by the really good defenders. Will be good but not sure if he will be an SEC top of the line player. He was a true freshman so maybe he makes that jump.

Not sure on Wilson. He may take a huge jump this year but he seemed to be kept in check by the really good defenders. Will be good but not sure if he will be an SEC top of the line player. (WTF???)

He was a true freshman so maybe he makes that jump. (A jump to what???)
WR Eugene Wilson III 5-10 181 Fr *****

2023: Played in 10 games with 7 starts… Accumulated 593 yards of total offense on 67 touches for an average of 8.9 yards per touch. Finished with team-high 6 TD catches, 2nd on the team with 61 receptions for 538 yds (8.8 yds/rec), and receiving yards per game (53.8)... He also ran for 55 yards on 6 carries (9.2 ypc)…

WR/RB Percy Harvin 5-11 1984 Fr *****

2006:
Played in 13 games with 5 starts, only missing the game against Alabama.....Accumulated 855 yards of total offense on 75 touches for an average of 11.4 yards per touch, the most nationally among freshmen...Rated 4th among the Gators with 427 receiving yards and tied for third with 34 receptions (12.6 avg.) and 2 TD's...Was 3rd with 428 rushing yards on 41 carries, 10.4 ypc, and 3 TD's...

Named to the Freshman All-America by Scripps/FWAA...
Collected second-team Freshman All-America honors from Sporting News...
Chosen as the SEC Freshman of the Year by the league’s coaches and the AP..
Was named a first-team Freshman All-American by Rivals.com and was chosen as The Sporting News’ SEC Offensive Freshman of the Year.

Fever, the major difference I see between them is their roster teammates, the offensive systems being used, and their coaching staffs. (not things that either controlled)

Last edited:
I like Wilson but the difference between the two is that you could just turn around and hand the ball to Percy and he’d house it. Wilson is shifty and fast. Percy was shifty and fast but he’d also just run over you. And he was the fastest guy on the field at all times (except maybe when Demps was at RB). Spurrier said if Percy was an RB, he would have averaged 200 ypg running.

Yep Wilson may take that jump but I remember in the FSU game and another the big time players controlling him mostly but he was just a true freshman.

I like Wilson but the difference between the two is that you could just turn around and hand the ball to Percy and he’d house it. Wilson is shifty and fast. Percy was shifty and fast but he’d also just run over you. And he was the fastest guy on the field at all times (except maybe when Demps was at RB). Spurrier said if Percy was an RB, he would have averaged 200 ypg running.
Bradley, Spurrier wasn't the HBC when Percy played at UF.....
Meyer/Mullen were running their Spread Offense when Percy was putting up his stats.

Fever/Bradley - Address their stats, while considering the difference in their opportunities.
Roster - Offensive System - Coaching Staffs......

What might Wilson have accomplished in the Meyer/Mullen system with a much better roster???
Wilson put up his stats with the Napier 5-7 system,,,,,, and he still put up the stats/awards that he did......

Bradley, Spurrier wasn't the HBC when Percy played at UF.....
Meyer/Mullen were running their Spread Offense when Percy was putting up his stats.

Fever/Bradley - Address their stats, while considering the difference in their opportunities.
Roster - Offensive System - Coaching Staffs......

What might Wilson have accomplished in the Meyer/Mullen system with a much better roster???
Wilson put up his stats with the Napier 5-7 system,,,,,, and he still put up the stats/awards that he did......

The eye test showed you the crazy ability Percy had as a freshman.

The eye test showed you the crazy ability Percy had as a freshman.
Percy was certainly a 5-Star, just like Wilson was....
Nothing against Percy, but the comparisons are there if you chose to see them.
Just like the differences are there if you chose to see them, (roster-system-coaches).
And it seems that the eye-test on Wilson is not 'chopped liver' either....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT