ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

ESPN2 guy just said he talked to D J Lagway's father, who told him the Southern Cal & Lincoln Riley have been in touch with them and are trying very hard to flip him from Florida. USC's starting QB is going to the NFL, their freshman 5-star back-up Malachi Nelson is in the transfer portal and they have no QB in their current signing class. Lagway has been the diamond and linchpin of this class from the beginning. If we lose him ......

Drinkwitz at Mizzou
5-5 covid year
6-7
6-7
10-2

Norvell at FSU
3-6
5-7
10-3

These are the only 2 I can think of. The number that didn’t survive is probably through the roof.

Reactions: emekz1
ESPN2 guy just said he talked to D J Lagway's father, who told him the Southern Cal & Lincoln Riley have been in touch with them and are trying very hard to flip him from Florida. USC's starting QB is going to the NFL, their freshman 5-star back-up Malachi Nelson is in the transfer portal and they have no QB in their current signing class. Lagway has been the diamond and linchpin of this class from the beginning. If we lose him ......

4* WR Izaiah Williams (4:00 announcement) is now being flipped to TAMU by some.

Better buckle up

4* WR Izaiah Williams (4:00 announcement) is now being flipped to TAMU by some.

Better buckle up
Yep - I saw that on another thread. Plus 5-star DL L J McCray from Daytona Mainland who has been a solid commit for months, told a reporter he probably won't sign today because he wants to make sure he's making the right decision and has talked to a couple of other schools.

Yep - I saw that on another thread. Plus 5-star DL L J McCray from Daytona Mainland who has been a solid commit for months, told a reporter he probably won't sign today because he wants to make sure he's making the right decision and has talked to a couple of other schools.

Sounds like DJ will have a UF, USC and TAMU hat at 4:30

If DJ flips then both him and Billy need to be kicked in the nuts for letting this class fall apart.

I guess it’s been proven that “commit” means zero. Just recruit and do like everyone has done today and show up last minute and try to flip every kid. These kids today have attention spans of 11 seconds so they only remember the last person or team that reached out to them.

You know it's a bad day in Gators land when whoever this is has thoughts on the matter, ugh, view profile, ugh, whoever she is, she knows ball(s), haha.

D J Lagway is on ESPN2 saying he's sent his LOI to Florida and he's looking forward to being coached by Napier.

Reading this thread it looks like we didn't keep anyone. Anyone stick or are we stuck with vandy leftovers?

8 straight Top 3 recruiting class for Georgia, per ESPN, 6 straight for Alabama. For Florida it'll be 3 straight years without a Top 10 class.

Hey guys, what the heck is going on here?
I'm the only bad/negative fan here, so the rest of you guys need to get your acts together.
😉

Besides, with the OC/QB's coach and the Heisman hopeful QB both returning, it's all good for 2024...
🙄

Kendall Jackson, the DL from Gainesville Buchholz, who flipped from UF to Miami a couple of weeks ago, signed with Texas A&M this morning.
Losing Amaris, Adarius, X Filsaine and Izaiah Williams hurt far more than losing Kendall Jackson. His senior year was far worse than his junior year.

That's not his job. That's Billlllllys job.
The kids recruit just as hard as the coaches. They all know each other and want to play together so yes DJ should have gotten some receivers to come play with him. Billy could have done a better job of getting kids to come play with DJ and maybe DJ tried but no one wanted to come to us.

• Haha
Reactions: LordofallSocks
The kids recruit just as hard as the coaches if not harder. They all know each other and want to play together so yes DJ should have gotten some receivers to come play with him. Billy could have done a better job of getting kids to come play with DJ and maybe DJ tried but no one wanted to come to us.

DJ has been committed over a year, the fact there is very little around him says a lot about the program and coach.

Its tough when it is widely known the coach is on an extremely hot seat.

Napier got the best offensive and defensive player in HS basically.

The class as a whole looks like it will be disappointing from what it looked like a month ago, but he can try to add to the class and hopefully surprises to the upside on the portal. I would get every 3* level and up OL and DL transfer possible. At least be deep.

Reactions: rdgtr

The class as a whole looks like it will be disappointing from what it looked like a month ago, but he can try to add to the class and hopefully surprises to the upside on the portal. I would get every 3* level and up OL and DL transfer possible. At least be deep.

Well with the rumored new DL coach we are going to hire, don’t count on much🤣

Wish we could have gotten some of those Georgia boys that were in the portal for defense. Evan Stewart might be a receiver to pursue from A&M. We offered him in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

Wish we could have gotten some of those Georgia boys that were in the portal for defense. Evan Stewart might be a receiver to pursue from A&M. We offered him in the 2021 recruiting cycle.

Evan Stewart or one of the UGA CBs would be great gets. Problem for us is it is almost impossible to be net positive in portal gains after losing Princely and Etienne to the portal. They are currently #10 and #10 ranked players in the portal.

Evan Stewart or one of the UGA CBs would be great gets. Problem for us is it is almost impossible to be net positive in portal gains after losing Princely and Etienne to the portal. They are currently #10 and #10 ranked players in the portal.
Why hasnt ETN signed with someone? Losing him isnt that big of a deal with the RB's we have.

Certainly disappointed in the flips. My guess is it caught the staff flatfooted a bit. But I do agree we got the 2 most important pieces to the class. Bottom line is Napier has a ton of returning experience, nobody is looking for a miracle next season, but he will need to get 7-8 wins to keep his job.

Certainly disappointed in the flips. My guess is it caught the staff flatfooted a bit. But I do agree we got the 2 most important pieces to the class. Bottom line is Napier has a ton of returning experience, nobody is looking for a miracle next season, but he will need to get 7-8 wins to keep his job.

A couple things to this….

1. Winning 7 games in year 3 is a criminally low bar for a UF coach. But I will agree that, unfortunately, that would leave us stuck with SunBelt Billy for at least part of 2025.

2. As nice as Lagway and McCray are, the 16th rated class in year 3 is unacceptable. It is ONE spot higher than Elko’s TRANSITION class at TAMU. And on top of that, Lagway and McCray aside, his recruiting is not good enough to lead to any sort of real success. We are last in the state (of big 3) and 8th in the SEC (with TAMU only one spot behind). So we are in the bottom half of the conference in recruiting, that will not work, especially without divisions.

3. His coaching staff remains subpar and the addition of the Tulane DL coach is not fixing that. At the end of the day Billy is Scott Frost, couldn’t get away from his G5 ties and this will end the same as Frost did at Nebraska. You can only fall further behind the competition each year until it catches up with you.

A couple things to this….

1. Winning 7 games in year 3 is a criminally low bar for a UF coach. But I will agree that, unfortunately, that would leave us stuck with SunBelt Billy for at least part of 2025.

2. As nice as Lagway and McCray are, the 16th rated class in year 3 is unacceptable. It is ONE spot higher than Elko’s TRANSITION class at TAMU. And on top of that, Lagway and McCray aside, his recruiting is not good enough to lead to any sort of real success. We are last in the state (of big 3) and 8th in the SEC (with TAMU only one spot behind). So we are in the bottom half of the conference in recruiting, that will not work, especially without divisions.

3. His coaching staff remains subpar and the addition of the Tulane DL coach is not fixing that. At the end of the day Billy is Scott Frost, couldn’t get away from his G5 ties and this will end the same as Frost did at Nebraska. You can only fall further behind the competition each year until it catches up with you.
The Frost comparison may end up proving itself. As to the recruiting class, part of the low ranking is sheer numbers. 10 fewer than Georgia. However, we ended up with only 9 espn 300 kids. 12 schools had more. Puppies had 20. We did not close the gap, it actually got wider. This will be Napier's final season barring some miracle. We will replace him and start over. When in reality we need to fire the AD first. I would get rid of him now. Let someone else make the coaching hire.

Reactions: gatordad3
The Frost comparison may end up proving itself. As to the recruiting class, part of the low ranking is sheer numbers. 10 fewer than Georgia. However, we ended up with only 9 espn 300 kids. 12 schools had more. Puppies had 20. We did not close the gap, it actually got wider. This will be Napier's final season barring some miracle. We will replace him and start over. When in reality we need to fire the AD first. I would get rid of him now. Let someone else make the coaching hire.

The problem is the idea with Billy was even if he didn’t win he would be Zook and “load the roster for the next guy”. Unfortunately, he didn’t even do that. I am guessing we hire Fisch after next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT