ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on this Florida team moving onto 2024......

Early 2024 Gators CB Depth Chart Projection

Outside cornerback

Starter: Jason Marshall Jr.
Backup: Dijon Johnson
Reserve: Teddy Foster Jr.

Inside cornerback

Starter: Devin Moore
Backup: Ja'Keem Jackson
Reserves: Ethan Pouncey, Jameer Grimsley

Out: Jalen Kimber (transferred out to Penn State)
In: Jameer Grimsley (freshman transfer in from Alabama), Teddy Foster Jr. (freshman)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...-positional-outlook-cornerback-jason-marshall

Early 2024 Gators Safety/STAR Depth Chart Projectio

Safety

Starters: Jordan Castell (So.), Asa Turner (r-Sr.)
Backups: Bryce Thornton (So.), Trikweze Bridges (r-Sr.), Aaron Gates (r-Fr.), Gregory Smith III (Fr.)
Reserves: Josiah Davis (Fr.), Ahman Covington* (r-Fr.), Cahron Rackley (r-So.)*, Brayden Slade (r-Fr.)*, Ethan Wilson (r-Sr.)*

STAR

Starter: DJ Douglas (r-Sr.)
Backup: Sharif Denson (So.)

Out: Miguel Mitchell (transferred to Arkansas), Kamari Wilson (transferred to Arizona State), Jaydon Hill (transferred to Texas A&M), Jadarrius Perkins (transferred to Toledo), RJ Moten (position change to inside linebacker)
In: Trikweze Bridges (transferred from Oregon), DJ Douglas (transferred from Tulane), Asa Turner (transferred from Washington), Gregory Smith III (freshman), Josiah Davis (freshman)

Reminds me of a joke I heard about a tribe of pygmies who were called the Hellawee tribe because they constantly wandered around in the high grasses and shrubs saying, "Where the Hell are we?"
ocala, those pygmies screwed up when they followed the fukarieee bird instead of the trail.

You can always identity the fakarieee bird by his wailing call, wear-da-phuck-R-weeeee..... 😉---😁

Following a winter in which UF added 30 scholarship players, saw more than two dozen exit the program via transfer, graduation or the NFL, the 2024 Gators are expected to look a lot different this spring compared to the squad of 2023.

The 5 weeks of Spring practice begins on March 7th.
With 15 EE HS recruits, and 3 more to arrive this summer, plus 12 xfers.

Florida thoroughly shuffled its deck of defensive assistant coaches this offseason, starting with the firings of Raymond and Spencer. Bateman left the program nearly one month later, and UF finished filling those positions by January.

On defense, the Gators ranked among the worst in the SEC.
Florida ranked No. 11 in scoring and total defense,
No. 9 in passing defense,
and No. 12 in rushing defense in 2023.

It also forced 1.2 fewer turnovers per game than the year before, plunging from the No. 1 spot in the conference to No. 14, the bottom.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ollow-2024-spring-camp-billy-napier-dj-lagway

=============

To drama-queen RB ET, his momma & his brother:
AMF and welcome to the buttsniffers of the world....
==========

Gator RB's for 2024:

RB Cam Carroll 6-0 227 6th Yr Sr - HS 4.42/40 - Injured out in 22&23 - Tulane xfer

RB Montrell Johnson 5-11 213 Sr - 152 for 817 net yds, 5.4 ypc, 5 TD's, L-52

RB Ja'Kovi Jackson 5-10.5 218 rsJr, 5.0 ypc @ Coahoma CC, xfer
As a rsSo in 2022, Jackson led the Tigers with 661 yds rushing, 7 TD's

RB Treyaun Webb 5-11 215 rsFr - 26 for 163 net yds, 6.3 ypc, 2 TD's, L-43

RB Anthony Rubio 5-9 180 rsFr - WO -- 11.18 100M - Miami Belen Jesuit
229 for 1,474 yards, 6.4 ypc, 14 TD's in 3 seasons. Had small school ship offers.
-----
RB/QB/WR/S Kahnen Daniels 5-11.5 196 Fr - 9.9 YPC, 5,541 Yds, 58 TD's in 3 HS seasons.
HS Sr - 2,730 Yds, 9.6 ypc, 30 TD's - 2023 MS 5A Mr Football & 5A State Champs.
Wildcat QB Passing - 46-of-87 passing for 802 yards, 8 TD's, 2 Ints.
WR, plus reverses and jet sweep runs.
Daniels has volunteered locally with the Beta Club and he has donated his time to multiple community service initiatives through his school’s National Honor Society. 3.26 GPA

RB/WR/QB Jadan Baugh 6-0.75 237 Fr - HS Sr - 113 for 1,583 Yds, 14.0 ypc,19 TD's, L-85
Rec - 28 for 531 yds, 19.0 Yds/Rec, 6 TD's, L-35
Basketball PG/SF

Spring practice will tell us more on how all of those RB's are going to shake out for 2024....

Last edited:
Just a bit of curious trivia concerning Spring jersey numbers....

Jersey numbers used by both the offense and defense (31):

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-
19-21-22-25-25-26-27-29-30-48-49-58-88

Jersey numbers only used once (55).
20-23-24-28-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-41-42-43-44-45-46-
47-50-53-55-56-57-59-60-61-63-64-65-66-68-70-71-72-73-74-
75-77-80-83-84-85-86-87-89-90-91-92-93-94-95--97-99

Unused jersey numbers: (14)
40-51-52-54-62-67-69-76-78-79-81-82-96-98

They could get rid of about 1/2 of the double use numbers confusion by using the unused numbers....
And if the doubles were only used for those that won't be playing in the games, better still........

The BIG List of Ht/Wt Monsters:

OL Kamryn Waites 6-8 350 rsJr

OL Damieon George Jr 6-6 362 rsJr

DL Sebastian Scott 6-2 372 rsFr

DL Cam Jackson 6-6 374 Sr

DL Michai Boireau 6-4.75 382 Fr

DL Desmond Watson 6-5 464 Sr

Reactions: Nicktheslick
The BIG List of Ht/Wt Monsters:

OL Kamryn Waites 6-8 350 rsJr

OL Damieon George Jr 6-6 362 rsJr

DL Sebastian Scott 6-2 372 rsFr

DL Cam Jackson 6-6 374 Sr

DL Michai Boireau 6-4.75 382 Fr

DL Desmond Watson 6-5 464 Sr
Good lord. Will Desmond even be able to move??

The iG's wishing.... Lagway to start, with Mertz as the backup...
Based on what? You really want to bench the guy who finished 4th in the league in passing yards per game, tied for 5th in passing td's (although he only played in 11 games) and was 6th in QBR for a kid who hasn't taken a college snap? Metrz was our offensive mvp and clear team leader. Wish he could have played the fsu game but that injury plowing his way for a first down was costly. My guess is we would have more than 86 yards passing.

Reactions: TEBOW TIME
Based on what? You really want to bench the guy who finished 4th in the league in passing yards per game, tied for 5th in passing td's (although he only played in 11 games) and was 6th in QBR for a kid who hasn't taken a college snap? Metrz was our offensive mvp and clear team leader. Wish he could have played the fsu game but that injury plowing his way for a first down was costly. My guess is we would have more than 86 yards passing.
Yes.

The Sock Lord feels that since Mertz is out the door, Push Lagway into the deep end and see if he's the future of the program or not.

There are valid arugments to be made both ways re: Mertz or Lagway. If the offensive line isn't better, it won't matter who is playing QB. My guess it that Mertz will be the starter and Lagway will see playing time in a situational way. Like with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow, without the surrounding talent and coaching. :)

Read the comments the Gators fans know he's the leader and MVP of this team.

Based on 5-6 team leadership in 2023, plus injury.
You are what your W/L record says you are....
😎

I know that 5-7 season can't be on the defense, because 3rd and Grantham was gonzo 2 seasons ago... 😉
Max Brown is 0-1 as a starter and you were licking his jock strap for the past 8 months. Well, you are what your record says you are. Goodness...

Reactions: gatordad3
Yes.

The Sock Lord feels that since Mertz is out the door, Push Lagway into the deep end and see if he's the future of the program or not.
Gotta disagree with you socks. We don’t want destroy his confidence by tossing him to the wolves. Get him in when the situation dictates and build on that. Who knows how he will respond and he could take over by mid season.

Reactions: LordofallSocks
Max Brown is 0-1 as a starter and you were licking his jock strap for the past 8 months. Well, you are what your record says you are. Goodness...
IMO, the problem with Max was his 11-14 HC/OC/Play Caller.
Your moving of the goal posts and/or attempting to distract with others won't help you.
But hey, let me just play along for a while, I'm bored, while you're licking Mertz's jock....

Sorry, but your Offensive MVP / Leader claims on a 5 win team is NOT impressive imo...
Passing Yards and the Completion % don't win games, TD's do.

In their senior seasons:

2023 Graham Mertz = 20 passing TD's (came back due to a lack of NFL interest/offers)

2013 Jeff Driskel = 27 TD's (with some here saying he was a chitty QB)
Drafted and still an active roster NFL QB with the Browns.
BTW, he was also drafted by the Red Sox in the 2013 MLB Draft.

2020 Kyle Trask = 43 TD's (with some here saying he was a wasted ship)

Last edited:
Florida's coaching staff will feature four new on-field assistants in 2024 after the dismissals of secondary coach Corey Raymond and defensive line coach Sean Spencer, and the exits of linebackers coach Jay Bateman and co-offensive line coach Darnell Stapleton.

Coaching, some new, some changes in responsibilities:

Russ Callaway - Co-Offensive Coordinator / TE's
Rob Sale --------- Co-Offensive Coordinator / OL
Jonathan DeCoster - Co-Offensive Line (hiring not yet finalized)

Billy Napier - HC - Has operated as Florida's offensive play-caller since his hiring (going 6-7 then 5-7) and has expressed his intentions to continue in that role as recently as February.

Austin Armstrong - DC / Defensive Play Caller

Gerald Chatman - IDL
Ron Roberts - Ex-HC, Co-DC - ILB
Will Harris - Secondary
Gerald Chatman - DL

Mark Hocke - Moves to Player Development
Tyler Miles - Director of Football Performance (strength & conditioning)
Joe Houston - Senior Analyst / Special Teams

Well at least this makes some sense....
What I said about flipped/recruited HS QB Max when they instead brought in useless Miller. Spent all their coaching time on him while leaving the QB that Napier said had great potential on the bench. And what did they get out of Miller? A 3-30 loss to what is usually a LAC 12 bottom feeder. Max had a much better game vs FSU in his only college start as a Gator.

Nothing personal on Mertz, a decent guy and a decent QB, but what championships has he won,,, at Wis or a UF? His 5-6 loser 2023 season with 20 TD's is touted as his best season as a college QB.... The only reason that he came back imo, is that the NFL didn't want him, 3rd Rnd or likely lower had he gone.

To me, Lagway looks like what you'd get if you put Tebow, AR-15, and Trask in a pot and distilled them down into one QB. It's time to stop wasting time on lower level transfer QB's.

See for yourselves....

PS - Leak was a record breaking starter as a true Fr,,, with the Zookster as the HC....

Last edited:
What I said about flipped/recruited HS QB Max when they instead brought in useless Miller. Spent all their coaching time on him while leaving the QB that Napier said had great potential on the bench. And what did they get out of Miller? A 3-30 loss to what is usually a LAC 12 bottom feeder. Max had a much better game vs FSU in his only college start as a Gator.

Nothing personal on Mertz, a decent guy and a decent QB, but what championships has he won,,, at Wis or a UF? His 5-6 loser 2023 season with 20 TD's is touted as his best season as a college QB.... The only reason that he came back imo, is that the NFL didn't want him, 3rd Rnd or likely lower had he gone.

To me, Lagway looks like what you'd get if you put Tebow, AR-15, and Trask in a pot and distilled them down into one QB. It's time to stop wasting time on lower level transfer QB's.

See for yourselves....

PS - Leak was a record breaking starter as a true Fr,,, with the Zookster as the HC....

Max and Miller are gone so let's quit talking about them and going back to the negativity towards Mertz. Lagway is going to have plays called for him this year so let's just sit back and watch.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
And I'm good with a Lagway/Mertz situation, in that order.

"Throwing to the Wolves' is just a weak excuse for a poor coaching decision imo.
Lagway has no need to be 'protected' by the incompetent, but maybe from the incompetent....

Poor coaching decisions have been a constant factor in the last 2 years of 11-14 loser football. Billy and his bloated 50+ staff are on a steep learning curve that needs to be leveling out soon....

See for yourselves....

Mertz was our best offensive player last year. Tough kid and great leader. He's our starter with a great opportunity to let Lagway to learn and get some game experience. Brown seems like a really good kid and I hope he does well at Charlotte.

"Some of these things just don't go together."

Off MVP -- 20 TD's - Great Leader - 5-6 W/L Record
==========

Tebow was a 'tough kid.'
Lagway is a 'tough kid.'
While
Graham is a ' slow sack magnet, injured out, punching bag'.......
But seemingly he's a good kid so I wish him well....

Last edited:
"Some of these thing just don't go together."

Off MVP -- 20 TD's - Great Leader - 5-6 W/L Record
==========

Tebow was a 'tough kid.'
Lagway is a 'tough kid.'
While
Graham is a ' slow sack magnet, injured out, punching bag'.......
But seemingly he's a good kid so I wish him well....
Our offense averaged over 30 points per game Mertz's final 6 starts. Problem is our paper soft D channeled their inner grantham and allowed 33. And by the way, why don't you go back and watch the play he got injured on. That is the definition of tough and having guts.

You tried to call me a Max jock licker, while you're Graham slurping away.... 😂 🤣 😂
Never a losing season Mike White, was supposedly run off for not winning post season championships.
While Mertz with OC Napier is the 'Great Leader' and the Off. MVP for a 5-7 team.
Seems entirely equitable to me....
🙄
Todd Grantham has been gone for over 2 years already.
Might just as well be blaming Micky Andrews for the failures of the Gator's defense....
🤨

You tried to call me a Max jock licker, while you're Graham slurping away.... 😂 🤣 😂
Never a losing season Mike White, was supposedly run off for not winning post season championships.
While Mertz with OC Napier is the 'Great Leader' and the Off. MVP for a 5-7 team.
🙄
Might just as well be blaming Micky Andrews for the failures of the Gator's defense....
🤨
I bashed Mertz at first. But then admitted I was wrong when his play demonstrated otherwise. You bashed Mertz then licked browns nut sack all season, but won't admit you were wrong, even after being factually proven wrong.

🙄
🤨
With Mertz, the offense averaged well over 30 ppg, and you're blaming Mertz for a 5-7 record?

Reactions: TEBOW TIME
It might be a smart move for Napier to start Lagway or at least switch to him early. If Mertz is as good as last year and we win 5 or 6 games he’s not going to be around to coach Lagway. If he won 6 games with Lagway though and Lagway showed promise then fans would be talking about not losing Lagway.

Reactions: instaGATOR
It might be a smart move for Napier to start Lagway or at least switch to him early. If Mertz is as good as last year and we win 5 or 6 games he’s not going to be around to coach Lagway. If he won 6 games with Lagway though and Lagway showed promise then fans would be talking about not losing Lagway.
Actually this isn't too far fetched. Win 5 games with Lagway and he might get a pass if Lagway plays really well.

Actually this isn't too far fetched. Win 5 games with Lagway and he might get a pass if Lagway plays really well.
Trying to yap outta both sides of that forked toungue pie-hole.... 😂
After watching Napier's 1st (6-7) season, his offense, and his lack of use/coaching of Max, I said then that Max should GTFO of here for his own good/sake.
Seems like I was correct, while Max wasted an even worse second (5-7) year here.

Now I'm hoping that Lagway is so good that he can overcome the system/coaching (that Mertz failed to do) and get us at least a winning season for a change.....
🤨

Trying to yap outta both sides of that forked toungue pie-hole.... 😂
After watching Napier's 1st (6-7) season, his offense, and his lack of use/coaching of Max, I said then that Max should GTFO of here for his own good/sake.
Seems like I was correct, while Max wasted an even worse second (5-7) year here.

Now I'm hoping that Lagway is so good that he can overcome the system/coaching (that Mertz failed to do) and get us at least a winning season for a change.....
🤨
Brown sucked and it's the coaches fault yet Mertz put up great numbers...but that would require you admitting you were wrong which won't happen. Go back to posting emory jones stats....oh, wait...we got a glimpse of Brown, and mid major is clearly where he belongs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT