ADVERTISEMENT

Football Miami @ Florida...

The trenches on both sides of the ball have been an ongoing problem and until we get the elite players in those positions we'll continue to be an also-ran in the SEC. Do we have enough this year? I'll have to see it to believe it. Hope so, though.

We have mid-pack DTs in my opinion. We have no game changers unless it's one of the freshman or sophomores who haven't played a lot yet. The reason Lyons injury hurts is he played a lot last season and one of our backups can only give you a few plays a game. Cam Jackson has let his weight become a problem also I think as you saw him winded and being controlled by O lineman in goal line situations etc last season. Banks should improve this season but looks like he doesn't have a real high ceiling.

We have mid-pack DTs in my opinion. We have no game changers unless it's one of the freshman or sophomores who haven't played a lot yet. The reason Lyons injury hurts is he played a lot last season and one of our backups can only give you a few plays a game. Cam Jackson has let his weight become a problem also I think as you saw him winded and being controlled by O lineman in goal line situations etc last season. Banks should improve this season but looks like he doesn't have a real high ceiling.
Napier has not done a good job recruiting or portal with lineman. Not enough of them.

The Gators list 22 DB on their 2024 roster, the talent/depth question is answered.
So the System and Coaching will be on trial immediately vs the scUM.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Three Hurricanes earned a spot on the preseason watch list for the 2024 Biletnikoff Award Watch List, as announced by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club Foundation. Sam Brown, Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo comprised the trio for Miami, as the Hurricanes were the lone program nationally with three watch list honorees.

WR/Slot Xavier Restrepo 5-10 198 rsSr - 85 for 1,092 Yds, 12.8 Ave, 6 TD's (speed)
VS
CB Jason Marshall Jr 6-0.5 201 Sr - Ja'Keem Jackson 6-0.5 189 So

WR Jacolby George 6-0 176 Sr - 57 for 864 Yds, 15.2 Ave, 8 TD's (route runner)
VS
CB Devin Moore 6-2.75 197 Jr - Cormani McClain 6-1.5 175 So

Houston/WVa Xfer-in (scUM games biggest threat in the iG's OHO)
Sam Brown 6-2 195 rsSr - 62 for 815 Yds, 13.2 Ave, 3 TD's
Vs
STAR Sharif Denson 5-11 189 So - Aaron Gates 6-0.5 196 rsFr

SS Turner - Douglas
FS Castell - Thornton - Bridges
=====

scUM WR Depth: -- The Gators list 22 DB on the roster DB's for depth.

WR Isaiah Horton rsSo - 13 for 168 Yds, 12.9 Ave, 1 TD
WR/Slot Ray Ray Joseph (also a return man with speed)
WR/Slot Robby Washington So

With 3 Fr newbees:
WR/Slot Jo Jo Trader
WR's Ny Carr (speed) - Chance Robinson

https://www.si.com/college/miami/fo...-position-preview-wide-receivers-01j3x6c0b7q0

The always 'Smoke & Mirror' reporting on both sides will be exposed on Aug. 31st.
The other half of the Gator Pass Defense looks like this:

SDE Boone - Sapp - McCray
NT Jackson - Lyons - Watson
DT Stockman - Banks - Collins
JACK Searcy - Gumbs Jr - James
-----
MLB James - Graham - Robinson
WLB Howard - Wingo

A quick look at the projected Gator WR depth chart:

WR-X Dike 6-0.25 195 Sr - Jackson 6-3 215 rsJr - Jean 6-1 184 rsFr

WR-Z Badger 6-1 192 Sr - Burke 6-3.75 197 rsJr - Fraziars 6-3.5 218 Sr

WR-Y Wilson 5-10 183 So - Mizell 6-1.5 186 rsFr- Spierto 6-0 207 rsJr

With 9 more depth WR's listed on the roster.

I believe that the Gators have better starters and depth at both RB and QB.
If Mertz is having trouble due to the scUM rush, then Lagway could be the answer,,, we'll see?
If the scUM is having trouble due to the Gator rush, then they might be in trouble....
So 'Git-R-Done'

Last edited:
A quick look at the projected Gator WR depth chart:

WR-X Dike 6-0.25 195 Sr - Jackson 6-3 215 rsJr - Jean 6-1 184 rsFr

WR-Z Badger 6-1 192 Sr - Burke 6-3.75 197 rsJr - Fraziars 6-3.5 218 Sr

WR-Y Wilson 5-10 183 So - Mizell 6-1.5 186 rsFr- Spierto 6-0 207 rsJr

With 9 more depth WR's listed on the roster.

I believe that the Gators have better starters and depth at both RB and QB.
If Mertz is having trouble due to the scUM rush, then Lagway could be the answer,,, we'll see?
If the scUM is having troubel due to the Gator rush, then they might be in trouble....
So 'Git-R-Done'

Miami does have a pretty good group of receivers. Restrepo is one of those possession receivers that is real good at finding the soft spot in a defense. George is their WR that makes the big plays down the field. The transfer Brown is supposed to be pretty good also. If their QB is in sync with the receivers this first game I think we could have some problems. We have to hold up in coverage for a little while because their QB is able to buy extra time pretty easily.

I would say our receiver group is about as good as theirs if Badger works out good but the problem is with their D line and not knowing how our O line will perform things could maybe get ugly at times. Miami's O line as long as the transfer center works out looks to be pretty good. Their issues on offense last year began when teams learned they could just play zone defense and Miami's QB even with plenty of time was prone to throwing interceptions. Their O line had pretty good pass protection.

If we beat Miami I think Napier will go 7-5 at least if injuries don't get us later but I also am really worried about this game. I think either the Swamp has to win it for us or we have to hope Napier pulls off a game like the 1st half against TN and can mess their defense up with a lot of pre-snap movement. I don't have a lot of faith we can just line up and outscore Miami if the Swamp (penalties and turnovers) or a special Napier game plan doesn't come into play.

I save my 'worry' for the things that truly deserve it, and college sports are not even on my list.

I'm interested in seeing how they do vs the scUM thugs, but that's about it.

Each to their own when it comes to worries...

• Haha
Reactions: Duke Blu
For the UF vs scUM game, the Gators have another advantage besides being in the SWAMP.

The Gators have more players listed than the scUM has.....
😉

You sure? I only see special teams for both schools on that first and second team list. Miami has 2 D linemen that could easily be choices at the end though. It's crazy seeing all the SEC players listed and only seeing our punter on the list. In the Spurrier days we had a lot of players on that list and a ton on the all-SEC list.

You sure? I only see special teams for both schools on that first and second team list. Miami has 2 D linemen that could easily be choices at the end though. It's crazy seeing all the SEC players listed and only seeing our punter on the list. In the Spurrier days we had a lot of players on that list and a ton on the all-SEC list.
Jusdamn, I blinked at the wrong time and I missed their kicker.... So thanks for the correction dude! 😏
But hey, that at least makes us even, and I like our kicker better than theirs anyway, and especially with them kicking in the SWAMP.
Smack was a Lou Groza Semifinalist 2023
He was a perfect 29-29 on extra points and made 17 of his 21 (81%) FG attempts.
As to the 'Could Bee's' anyone on either team could be, but that's just 'pie-n-the sky' for now.....

Fever, please try harder to live in the present instead of the far distant SOS past....
Because if you continue to have your vision clouded with the long ago decades past, then........ 😑

(just a random thought - If everyone on just one side of the SWAMP - student section East - screamed as loud as possible on the kick, the sound waves might actually push the kick wide???) 😁

Reactions: Gator Fever
Jusdamn, I blinked at the wrong time and I missed their kicker.... So thanks for the correction dude! 😏
But hey, that at least makes us even, and I like our kicker better than theirs anyway, and especially with them kicking in the SWAMP.
Smack was a Lou Groza Semifinalist 2023
He was a perfect 29-29 on extra points and made 17 of his 21 (81%) FG attempts.
As to the 'Could Bee's' anyone on either team could be, but that's just 'pie-n-the sky' for now.....

Fever, please try harder to live in the present instead of the far distant SOS past....
Because if you continue to have your vision clouded with the long ago decades past, then........ 😑

(just a random thought - If everyone on just one side of the SWAMP - student section East - screamed as loud as possible on the kick, the sound waves might actually push the kick wide???) 😁

I hope the Swamp wins it or we have that rare great game plan under Napier but I am not going to let myself get false confidence anymore until Napier shows he is capable of beating power 5 teams more than he has. He has like a 33% win ratio against the non-scrub teams that are not in the FCS or group of five.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I wonder if we might sneak Hawkins into this game to try and make a big play. It sounds like he has had quite a few in practices and in the scrimmage with that track speed of his. Not sure if its hand timed or not but he broke 4.3 seconds in a 40 and I think ran a 10.3 something 100 meters in high school.

Sounds like Slackman has some nagging injury and likely won't be 100% against Miami. I hope decent D line depth doesn't become an issue against Miami. Miami seems to be lucking out so far on the injury front.

If Badger isn't playing more snaps than Jackson at WR pretty quickly I will be surprised. I could see Napier listing Jackson as the starter early just as a courtesy move however like he did with Wright his first year. Hopefully it doesn't take that long to play the courtesy thing like he did with Wright if Badger is as good as some people think.
Lots of rotation among the wide receivers, so to me as long as they're near the top of the depth chart plenty of playing time will be available.

Lots of rotation among the wide receivers, so to me as long as they're near the top of the depth chart plenty of playing time will be available.

You need to play the best though. Stuff like that mess with Wright playing more than Johnson and ETN at first was total nonsense.

Curious what people here think of this game with Miami realistically and the matchups and comparison of the talent. I need to look at it some more but just from looking at who will likely be the starters for each team I can see why Vegas has them a slight favorite in the Swamp. I know paper doesn't mean squat until you show it on the field but on paper with their portal additions and quite a few of their 2023 recruits showing they could play good as true freshman combined with some talented returning players (some from season ending injury) I think this may be a #10 area team talent wise. If you take out the very top teams talent wise like GA, Ohio St, TX and Oregon I think Miami on paper is right there with the teams in the next level. This Miami roster is a lot better than it was last season.
I created Thread Prefix Titles when you make a post - check those out...will help some folks who are not able to understand what the post is about...not suggesting that is the case with yours though. Thanks for posting.

I wonder if we might sneak Hawkins into this game to try and make a big play. It sounds like he has had quite a few in practices and in the scrimmage with that track speed of his. Not sure if its hand timed or not but he broke 4.3 seconds in a 40 and I think ran a 10.3 something 100 meters in high school.
WR Chris Doering when asked about his slow speed:
"I might be slow, but somehow I keep on getting behind all of those fast DB's.... "
(iG was LMFAO - upon leaving UF in 1995, slow Chris had the SEC Record for Career TD receptions)

Top Speed certainly has it's place, but I'd rather have smart/sneaky with Velcro hands.... 😉

WR Chris Doering when asked about his slow speed:
"I might be slow, but somehow I keep on getting behind all of those fast DB's.... "
(iG was LMFAO - upon leaving UF in 1995, slow Chris had the SEC Record for Career TD receptions)

Top Speed certainly has it's place, but I'd rather have smart/sneaky with Velcro hands.... 😉

I will take any downfield passing at this point. We do need to give our receivers a chance to make some plays down the field. That was almost criminal for Wilson's avg per catch to be under 9 yards.

I will take any downfield passing at this point. We do need to give our receivers a chance to make some plays down the field. That was almost criminal for Wilson's avg per catch to be under 9 yards.
I think that they were giving Pearsall most of the deeper stuff....
We'll soon see how/who they try to use this season.

WR Eugene Wilson III (61) - Kahleil Jackson (21)

Elijhah Badger (65) - Slot Chimeme Dike (19)

Marcus Burke (6) - Fraziars (4 injured)

Andy Jean rsFr (6 , injured) - Mizell rsFr (2)

TJ Adams Fr - Tank Hawkins Fr (67 HS Jr, injured)

(2023 Receptions)

I think that they were giving Pearsall most of the deeper stuff....
We'll soon see how/who they try to use this season.

WR Eugene Wilson III (61) - Kahleil Jackson (21)

Elijhah Badger (65) - Slot Chimeme Dike (19)

Marcus Burke (6) - Fraziars (4 injured)

Andy Jean rsFr (6 , injured) - Mizell rsFr (2)

TJ Adams Fr - Tank Hawkins Fr (67 HS Jr, injured)

(2023 Receptions)

I think the 3 likely starters for most of this season (Wilson, Badger and Dike -though early in the season Napier may give a courtesy start to Jackson) are pretty good but there is a clear dropoff after them.

Fever, those little used younger WR guys just might surprise you/us....

But my thinking is that the Gator run game will be the key to the scUM game, at least initially.
RB's by physical size: A good mix of experience/newbee and thunder & lightening.

Cam Carroll - 6-0 230 rsSr - Tulane xfer
Jaden Baugh 6-0.75 227 Fr - Played RB-QBwc-WR-PR-KR//OLB-SS, anything but OL/DL.
Agressive blocker-tackler, good receiver. hard runner 14 ypc, and a solid return man.

Montrell Johnson 5-11.25 216 Sr - Louisiana xfer - injured starter
Treyaun Webb --- 5-11 211 So - starter

Ja'Kobi Jackson 5-10.5 209 rsJr - Coahoma CC xfer
Kahnen 'KD' Daniels ------ 5-11.5 197 Fr - 4.50/40, 29 TD's
KD was mostly a Wildcat QB on runs. 10 blockers, make one guy miss, then out run the rest.

Anthony Rubio 5-9 183 rsFr - PWO - 11.18 100M - Would likely be a starter at a D2.
HS Career 28 Gms - 229 for 1,474 yds, 6.4 ypc, 14 TD's.
Not an NFL prospect, so likely came to UF for prestige / education/lawyer? / network.
Named to the UF 'Commitment to Academic Excellence Award' List

Fever, those little used younger WR guys just might surprise you/us....

But my thinking is that the Gator run game will be the key to the scUM game, at least initially.
RB's by physical size: A good mix of experience/newbee and thunder & lightening.

Cam Carroll - 6-0 230 rsSr - Tulane xfer
Jaden Baugh 6-0.75 227 Fr - Played RB-QBwc-WR-PR-KR//OLB-SS, anything but OL/DL.
Agressive blocker-tackler, good receiver. hard runner 14 ypc, and a solid return man.

Montrell Johnson 5-11.25 216 Sr - Louisiana xfer - injured starter
Treyaun Webb --- 5-11 211 So - starter

Ja'Kobi Jackson 5-10.5 209 rsJr - Coahoma CC xfer
Kahnen 'KD' Daniels ------ 5-11.5 197 Fr - 4.50/40, 29 TD's
KD was mostly a Wildcat QB on runs. 10 blockers, make one guy miss, then out run the rest.

Anthony Rubio 5-9 183 rsFr - PWO - 11.18 100M - Would likely be a starter at a D2.
HS Career 28 Gms - 229 for 1,474 yds, 6.4 ypc, 14 TD's.
Not an NFL prospect, so likely came to UF for prestige / education/lawyer? / network.
Named to the UF 'Commitment to Academic Excellence Award' List

Miami fans seem to think our running game will be crippled if Johnson doesn't play.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Miami fans seem to think our running game will be crippled if Johnson doesn't play.

And that's before a package QB-dt might be thrown into the RB mix....
QB-dt DJ Lagway 6-3 239 Fr

Named the 2023 National Gatorade Player of the Year.
2023 Bobby Dodd National Back (High School Heisman) of the Year/
2023 MaxPreps Player of the Year.
2023 Elite 11 National High School Quarterback of the Year.
2023 National Quarterback Club High School Quarterback of the Year...
HS Sr Rushing: 100 for 953 yds, 9.5 ypc, 16 TD's (with a cannon arm on the RPO's)

The running game is totally dependent on the offensive line. We have a bunch of really good running backs, a solid QB, depth at WR, good tight ends. But it doesn't matter at all unless the offensive line can hold up against quality defenses. That's really been the issue since Urban Meyer left and until the O-line proves itself to be elite, we'll still be a middle of the pack team.

The running game is totally dependent on the offensive line. We have a bunch of really good running backs, a solid QB, depth at WR, good tight ends. But it doesn't matter at all unless the offensive line can hold up against quality defenses. That's really been the issue since Urban Meyer left and until the O-line proves itself to be elite, we'll still be a middle of the pack team.

Not sure on Webb but watching the limited carries against mostly weak competition I do think its a clear dropoff from Johnson.

Good point. However, middle of the pack is where we have been finishing in the recent past.

I think with the conference tiebreakers applied we have been # 13, # 10 and # 10 the last 3 seasons out of the 14 SEC teams in conference play. I would have never believed that was possible before it happened.

• Sad
Reactions: sadgator
Florida had their run at the top.
Then Bama had their run at the top.
Now UGly is having their run at the top.
Nobody in the SEC remains at the top forever.
But I will agree that Florida has been in the lower half longer than I expected it to be.

Now with TX and OKLA joining the SEC, being at the top and remaining there for long will be tougher....

Florida sophomore TE Hayden Hansen was named to the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List on Wednesday.

After not seeing the field as a first-year player in 2022, Hansen appeared in all 12 of Florida's games in 2023 with 9 starts, though it should be noted that his role was largely limited to blocking and pass protections.

The 6-foot-6.5, 272-pound, second-year Gator caught 12 passes for 150 yards, 12.5 Yds/Rec with 2 TD's.

He might be a difference maker vs the scUM?

We have a 34 game home opener win streak going - the longest in college football I believe. Utah and TN were the only ranked teams we beat in the 34 years I think but Utah was the only win over a team that finished the year as a good team I think. 34 years is a long time not to take an upset though so maybe that means something for this game.

Mertz to start with the short to medium throws to loosen up the scUM D.

Lagway to run the RPO's for big gains, both running and passing.

This seems to be a game where Napier must be smarter with his play calling and his game plan.

Mertz to start with the short to medium throws to loosen up the scUM D.

Lagway to run the RPO's for big gains, both running and passing.

This seems to be a game where Napier must be smarter with his play calling and his game plan.

I doubt we see Lagway much unless Miami is really taking it to Mertz. Rolling Mertz out might could help a little but their 2 bigger DEs might disrupt that also as they usually get up the field pretty quick on passing plays. Our best hope is Napier has some game plan with shifts etc that can get their defense off balance like the TN game last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT