ADVERTISEMENT

Football Miami @ Florida...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Curious what people here think of this game with Miami realistically and the matchups and comparison of the talent. I need to look at it some more but just from looking at who will likely be the starters for each team I can see why Vegas has them a slight favorite in the Swamp. I know paper doesn't mean squat until you show it on the field but on paper with their portal additions and quite a few of their 2023 recruits showing they could play good as true freshman combined with some talented returning players (some from season ending injury) I think this may be a #10 area team talent wise. If you take out the very top teams talent wise like GA, Ohio St, TX and Oregon I think Miami on paper is right there with the teams in the next level. This Miami roster is a lot better than it was last season.

Reactions: bradleygator
Curious what people here think of this game with Miami realistically and the matchups and comparison of the talent. I need to look at it some more but just from looking at who will likely be the starters for each team I can see why Vegas has them a slight favorite in the Swamp. I know paper doesn't mean squat until you show it on the field but on paper with their portal additions and quite a few of their 2023 recruits showing they could play good as true freshman combined with some talented returning players (some from season ending injury) I think this may be a #10 area team talent wise. If you take out the very top teams talent wise like GA, Ohio St, TX and Oregon I think Miami on paper is right there with the teams in the next level. This Miami roster is a lot better than it was last season.
It will come down to how much have we improved on defense and the offensive line. They have more guys projected to play at the next level.

It will come down to how much have we improved on defense and the offensive line. They have more guys projected to play at the next level.

Looking at their D line where they have the ability to plug in a couple of 280 pound DEs that can really get after the QB at DT on likely passing downs I think pretty good O lines might struggle with that. Bain and the guy out a lot of 2023 with an injury are good at getting around guards just like tackles and they have 2 standard DE/edge portal transfers that are pretty good at pass rushing they can plug in with them on likely passing downs. If this game was to get crazy I think it would be because our running game was sputtering and they just kept the pressure on. Not sure how Miami's defense will be against the run but Bain and that other big DE were blowing quite a few running plays up last season when they were in there.

Miami has talent, a good QB.... but coached by Cristobal and as my husband says "that's never a good thing"
UF by 7

True but the only thing that scares me is he usually starts screwing up mid-season. He beat Ohio State on the road in 2021 and scored over 40 on A&M last season in early games.

• Wow
Reactions: Mrs. Sadgator
Where is the pass rush from our defense going to come from? Princely is gone and we have no pass rushers who have shown on the field yet they can get after the QB. You also have a Miami team who one of their strengths will be at tackle. That is not a good situation to be in when they have a QB that buys time pretty easily on passing plays. He took about the same amount of sacks as Mertz but his sacks were mostly from waiting to long to try and find something downfield. At Miami with much better tackles that likely will result in a lot less sacks for him. He also had about the worse rushing per attempt average from their running game in the whole country so defenses really came after the QB.

Where is the pass rush from our defense going to come from? Princely is gone and we have no pass rushers who have shown on the field yet they can get after the QB. You also have a Miami team who one of their strengths will be at tackle. That is not a good situation to be in when they have a QB that buys time pretty easily on passing plays. He took about the same amount of sacks as Mertz but his sacks were mostly from waiting to long to try and find something downfield. At Miami with much better tackles that likely will result in a lot less sacks for him. He also had about the worse rushing per attempt average from their running game in the whole country so defenses really came after the QB.
Prince took every other play off. But you're right, unless one of the young guys emerge not sure where the pressure will come from.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Prince took every other play off. But you're right, unless one of the young guys emerge not sure where the pressure will come from.

Hopefully someone surprises us. Watch Princely really put the work in now that it's his NFL year and he jumped ship on us.

Might have to get creative with blitzes

New Season -- New Team -- New Plans ----- But with the same-ole - same-ole OC....
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. -- For right now, we're all in the 'wait and see' mode....
I would say to collectively 'keep your chins up,' but that's the same thing as
'sticking your necks out...' 😉

The interior DL (DT's) looks better/stronger/faster to me for 2024, so some pass rush from there should happen.

Florida football's EDGE unit, consisting of the JACK/WDE and F/SDE positions, experienced significant turnover in 2023, and the unit is hoping for more continuity in 2024 when fall camp opens.

Princely Umanmielen exits to Ole Miss.
Antwaun Powell-Ryland Jr. exits to VaTech

The starters have NOT been set yet, nor have the positions been set.
However, Sapp & Searcy have the inside track so far imo.

Edge 'F' - Tyreak Sapp 6-2.5 275 rsJr - 24 Tkl's -12 solo, 2 sacks, 4.5 TFL starting 11 Gms.
Justus Boone 6-3.75 267 rsJr (2023 injured out)
Edge 'Jack' - T.J. Searcy 6-5 254 So - 26 Tkl's - 9 solo), 3.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 2 QBH, 1 FF.

----- Primary backups, possible starters:

Ja'Markis Weston 6-2.5 234 rsSr
Jack Pyburn 6-3 261 Jr - (2023 injured out)
Kamran James 6-5.5 274 So
"F" LJ McCray 6-6 274 Fr ***** (DT/DE position flex)

----- Depth:
George Crumbs Jr. 6-4 242 rsJr - N.Ill>Cincy xfer, from a WO WR to TE to DE...
Quincy Ivorya 6-3 252 Jr - E.LA-CC xfer
Bryce Capers 6-3.75 239 rsSo - PWO
Layne Swafford 6-2 251 rsFr - PWO

----- Position Flexibility:
>> Kelby Collins 6-3.75 275 So (DE moved to DT in Spring but could be moved back)
Collins logged 23 Tkl's, 1.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 4 QBH, 1 PBU, 1 FF.
Brien Taylor Jr 6-4.5 267 - Blinn College xfer - "F" in Spring, moved back to DT.

With Boone and Pyburn still working their way back from significant injuries when fall camp opens, the unit will seemingly once again be led by Sapp, while Collins and Searcy appear set for a larger role throughout spring camp.

Furthermore, UF added to the position via the transfer portal and through the high school ranks, with 5-star signee LJ McCray and N.ILL xfer George Gumbs Jr. (N.Ill>Cincy xfer) competing for roles within the room ahead of the season. Then factor in Kamran James, and the Gators have multiple sophomores in the fold poised to contribute at a significant rate this season along the EDGE.

Well, like every new season, someone must step up for the unit to take a step forward, though there are multiple potential quality players poised to do just that when fall camp opens. (so no-worries-mates)

New 5-Star Alpha Team Leaders:
QB-dt DJ Lagway - ILB Myles Graham - EDGE 'F' LJ McCray
Some really nice Fr building blocks arrived in the 2024 class.

Pass rushers seems to be where we lost a couple of pretty good ones the last 2 years to the portal but didn't get anyone in the portal to counter that. We better hope one of the young guys can step up. It appears Collins was our 2nd best player pressuring the QB on his snaps last season from DE or Jack and he isn't anywhere in Princely's category when it comes to that.

AMF to those that xfer out.

WELCOME to the newbees, xfer-ins, and to the 2 new 2nd and 3rd level coaches.

All in all, I see them being much better overall on defense.

Ex-HC & Co-DC Ron Roberts breaks down Gator Defense ahead of Fall camp. The Gator's had one of the WORST defenses in the nation in 2023, but hope significant staff changes can put the unit back on track....

On the roots of his defensive philosophy:
"It was the ability to bring an off-the-ball guy, again with stemming somebody who's not one of the designated four down or three down, whichever one you're in. It's to bring a guy in the rush. It started out fire zone concept. You bring in five, and you're down a guy in coverage. So it's a way to get the same type of pattern, maybe not the add-on backer, and play traditional coverage behind it. So you can still force the ball, you can still create the issues on some of the run blocking schemes, but play traditional coverage behind it."
"I think our players are good enough. I think we've got great players. I think, as long as they know where they're supposed to be and what their assignments are, they can go out and execute at a high level."

==========

Three words, fourteen letters could immediately help the Florida Gators defense seriously improve: tackles for loss (TFL) Last season, the Gators amassed 58 tackles for loss. That number ranked them 104th in FBS.

As a result, bank on the defense working to not only get free faster but securing the stop sooner. Everyone knows how difficult the schedule looks. Being able to tilt yardage in your defensive favor could possibly flip those projected losses into wins. If a defender consistently struggles to shed and make the play, he needs the hook. Ron Roberts, the co-defensive coordinator not only knows this, but will quickly sub someone out. Wearing the orange helmet on defense means more than most. Ultimately, Napier will have options, but it is down to the players to show him that they are ready to play by Week 1 against the Hurricanes. (and it's up to the position coaches to get those players ready to go - iG)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/defensive-stat-florida-gators-must-improve-01j426h901vn

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Ex-HC & Co-DC Ron Roberts breaks down Gator Defense ahead of Fall camp. The Gator's had one of the WORST defenses in the nation in 2023, but hope significant staff changes can put the unit back on track....

On the roots of his defensive philosophy:
"It was the ability to bring an off-the-ball guy, again with stemming somebody who's not one of the designated four down or three down, whichever one you're in. It's to bring a guy in the rush. It started out fire zone concept. You bring in five, and you're down a guy in coverage. So it's a way to get the same type of pattern, maybe not the add-on backer, and play traditional coverage behind it. So you can still force the ball, you can still create the issues on some of the run blocking schemes, but play traditional coverage behind it."
"I think our players are good enough. I think we've got great players. I think, as long as they know where they're supposed to be and what their assignments are, they can go out and execute at a high level."

==========

Three words, fourteen letters could immediately help the Florida Gators defense seriously improve: tackles for loss (TFL) Last season, the Gators amassed 58 tackles for loss. That number ranked them 104th in FBS.

As a result, bank on the defense working to not only get free faster but securing the stop sooner. Everyone knows how difficult the schedule looks. Being able to tilt yardage in your defensive favor could possibly flip those projected losses into wins. If a defender consistently struggles to shed and make the play, he needs the hook. Ron Roberts, the co-defensive coordinator not only knows this, but will quickly sub someone out. Wearing the orange helmet on defense means more than most. Ultimately, Napier will have options, but it is down to the players to show him that they are ready to play by Week 1 against the Hurricanes. (and it's up to the position coaches to get those players ready to go - iG)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/defensive-stat-florida-gators-must-improve-01j426h901vn

Well we get a chance to see real quick since Miami is our first game and they have some pretty good players on offense this year. That RB has no problem running over safeties if they can't tackle good. I heard Turner is actually a decent tackler though. It's getting old watching RBs getting loose on our defense.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Miami's DE Baine said today that their D line has a chance to be historical. I think they may be reading too many press clippings down there.

• Haha
Fall practice began today and in less than a month, we'll all get to see where they are, going forward this season.

Fall practice began today and in less than a month, we'll all get to see where they are, going forward this season.

I have to be honest looking at this matchup even more I think Miami would have a nice edge at a neutral field on us. My guess is the Swamp will have to be a big reason we win this game if we do. I guess Miami could have 1st game screwups with a brand new QB in there but on paper their offense definitely has some good matchups against our defense.

Looks like Johnson got injured and had to be scoped and is likely to miss the Miami game. Curious how many carries Baugh might get behind Webb as he looked pretty good in that spring game. He is already physically mature and RB is a position true freshman show out many times.

Looks like Johnson got injured and had to be scoped and is likely to miss the Miami game. Curious how many carries Baugh might get behind Webb as he looked pretty good in that spring game. He is already physically mature and RB is a position true freshman show out many times.

That's some tough luck for Montrell, but there is excellent RB room depth imo:

The 2024 presumed pre-season starters:
#8 Montrell Johnson 5-11.25 216 Sr - 816 Yds, 5.4 YPC, 6 TD's
#20 Treyaun Webb 5-11 211 So -------- 26 for 163 Yds, 6.3 YPC, 2 TD's
Both are good receivers out of the backfield.

Who wins the #3 spot is still a competition it seems to me?
Jackson has the college experience, but the 2 Fr look better, on paper at least...

The Thunder & Lightening Xfer-ins:
#45 xfer RB Cam Carroll ---- 6-0 230 rsSr - Tulane - 516 Yds, 4.6 YPC, 3 TD's, good hands (2021, blew knee out in 2023)
#NR Ja'Kobi Jackson 5-10.5 209 rsJr- JuCo - 20 Gms - 276 for 1,390, 5.0 ypc, 14 TD's.
Receiving - 14 for 115 yards 8.2 Yds/Rec, 2 TD's
-----
#NR Anthony Rubio 5-9 183 rsFr - WO (speedy/sneaky runner & with good hands)

Plus the 4-star Thunder & Lightening newbees:

#14 RB KD Daniels 5-11.5 197 Fr ------ HS Sr - 288 for 2,737 Yds, 9.5 YPC, 29 TD's
#32 RB Jadan Baugh 6-0.75 227 Fr - HS Sr - 113 for 1,583 Yds, 14.0 YPC, 19 TD's
So, no RB worries mates....

Last edited:
That's some tough luck for Montrell, but there is excellent RB room depth imo:

The 2024 presumed pre-season starters:
Montrell Johnson 5-11.25 216 Sr - 816 Yds, 5.4 YPC, 6 TD's
Treyaun Webb 5-11 211 So -------- 163 Yds, 6.3 YPC, 2 TD's

Who wins the #3 spot is still a competition it seems to me?

The Thunder & Lightening Xfer-ins:
Cam Carroll ---- 6-0 230 rsSr - Tulane - 516 Yds, 4.6 YPC, 3 TD's, good hands (2021, blew knee out in 2023)
Ja'Kobi Jackson 5-10.5 209 rsJr- JuCo - 20 Gms - 1,390 Yds with 14 TD's, and good hands.
-----
Anthony Rubio 5-9 183 rsFr - WO (speedy/sneaky runner & with good hands)

Plus the 4-star Thunder & Lightening newbees:

#14 RB KD Daniels 5-11.5 197 Fr ------ HS Sr - 288 for 2,737 Yds, 9.5 YPC, 29 TD's
#32 RB Jadan Baugh 6-0.75 227 Fr - HS Sr - 113 for 1,583 Yds, 14.0 YPC, 19 TD's
So, no RB worries mates....

On another board they are claiming who replaces Johnson is between Webb and Jackson that it will be a close call. I have no idea on either ones pass blocking skills. I just know last season Johnson wasn't too bad there but ETN wasn't a good blocker at all.

With Montrell and Cam both dinged up a little, others will need to step up.
It looks like these 4 will be working Fall practice to see who the 2 primary RB's will be vs the scUM thugs.
However, it seems to me that Webb is a pretty sure thing for one of those 2 spots....

I'm curious to see which one of the others takes the backup/alternate RB spot???
The Soph and Jr have the college experience, while the other two have the HS stats / recruit rankings.

#14 RB KD Daniels 5-11.5 197 Fr ------- HS Sr - 288 for 2,737 Yds, 9.5 YPC, 29 TD's

#20 RB Treyaun Webb 5-11 211 So
--- HS Sr -147 for 1,117 yds, 7.6 ypc, 20 TD's
(2024 UF Fr - 26 for 163 Yds, 6.3 YPC, 2 TD's)

#32 RB Jadan Baugh 6-0.75 227 Fr --- HS Sr - 113 for 1,583 Yds, 14.0 YPC, 19 TD's

#NR RB Ja'Kobi Jackson 5-10.5 209 Jr - HS Sr - 122 for 924 Yds, 7.6 ypc, 10 TD's
(20 JuCo Gms - 276 for 1,390, 5.0 ypc, 14 TD's, and he's an excellent receiver)

With Montrell and Cam both dinged up a little, others will need to step up.
It looks like these 4 will be working Fall practice to see who the 2 primary RB's will be vs the scUM thugs.
However, it seems to me that Webb is a pretty sure thing for one of those 2 spots....

I'm curious to see which one of the others takes the backup/alternate RB spot???
The Soph and Jr have the college experience, while the other two have the HS stats / recruit rankings.

#14 RB KD Daniels 5-11.5 197 Fr ------- HS Sr - 288 for 2,737 Yds, 9.5 YPC, 29 TD's

#20 RB Treyaun Webb 5-11 211 So
--- HS Sr -147 for 1,117 yds, 7.6 ypc, 20 TD's
(2024 UF Fr - 26 for 163 Yds, 6.3 YPC, 2 TD's)

#32 RB Jadan Baugh 6-0.75 227 Fr --- HS Sr - 113 for 1,583 Yds, 14.0 YPC, 19 TD's

#NR RB Ja'Kobi Jackson 5-10.5 209 Jr - HS Sr - 122 for 924 Yds, 7.6 ypc, 10 TD's

(20 JuCo Gms - 276 for 1,390, 5.0 ypc, 14 TD's, and he's an excellent receiver)

You never hear anything about Carroll since his injury made him miss last year. No one seems to ever have him on a depth chart for us in 2024.

Looked at some video of Crenshaw-Dickson from San Diego state games last season and from our spring game. Curious to see how good he is in SEC play. He has decent footwork it appeared and didn't seem to have any issues keeping himself in front of the rushers at least. Boone was out and he mostly was going against Sapp in the spring game. Some of those bigger Miami DEs are really good at switching from a speed move into a bull rush and its hard to say how he would handle that. He handled the UCLA and Oregon state rushers alright but that 1st round pick rusher UCLA had wasnt matched up with him but a few times and most were rushing plays.

Florida Gators Head Coach Billy Napier Provides Injury Updates​

The Florida Gators are relatively healthy, but head coach Billy Napier gave updates on players who are missing practice.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...y-napier-provides-injury-updates-01j4q22s06a3
==========

Florida Gators Fall Camp Practice Report: Running Backs Stepping Up​

With the injury to All-SEC running back Montrell Johnson Jr., several players are looking to step into the void. Sophomore Treyaun Webb, who seems to be the unofficial starter in place of Johnson Jr., was at the forefront of the group, which mostly worked on short-yardage passes with the quarterbacks.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...report-running-backs-stepping-up-01j4n3gp8vj9
==========

Here's another article on the RB's:
"He's got an opportunity and I'm excited for him," Florida left tackle Austin Barber said Tuesday. "I know the kind of person Webb is, and I think he's going to be just fine."

Napier said Johnson's injury created more opportunities for Jackson, Baugh and Daniels, bringing the trio up to speed perhaps more quickly than would have been possible with a fully healthy running back room.

This one, especially the Vid of Billy-D, is well worth watching.

Put the BS aside now and remember, "IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER!"

If this team embraces Billy-D's advice, 9 wins with an outside shot at a Cinderella shot at the 12 Team playoffs is not out of the question. BUT IF NOT,,, then...............
😔

Last edited:
This one, especially the Vid of Billy-D, is well worth watching.

Put the BS aside now and remember, "IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER!"

If this team embraces Billy-D's advice, 9 wins with an outside shot at a Cinderella shot at the 12 Team playoffs is not out of the question. BUT IF NOT,,, then...............
😔

9 wins is probably the upper limit if they shocked everyone. 8-4 if they can get their act together and win some close games.

The thread is about the UF/Miami match-up and as the game is getting closer and closer I see two once great programs in bad need of an opening day win. Both coaches are on the hot seat and the outcome of this game sets the tone for the rest of the year. However, Miami's schedule is easier than Florida's and they have more opportunities to bounce back from a loss and have a respectable year, IMO. Florida's schedule is brutal and as you look at how many really hard, some nearly impossible games, they have on their schedule, winning the Miami game is critical. I have no idea who wins - I just pull for Gators in every game in every sport.

The thread is about the UF/Miami match-up and as the game is getting closer and closer I see two once great programs in bad need of an opening day win. Both coaches are on the hot seat and the outcome of this game sets the tone for the rest of the year. However, Miami's schedule is easier than Florida's and they have more opportunities to bounce back from a loss and have a respectable year, IMO. Florida's schedule is brutal and as you look at how many really hard, some nearly impossible games, they have on their schedule, winning the Miami game is critical. I have no idea who wins - I just pull for Gators in every game in every sport.

Yep both teams need the win bad. Napier possibly to save his job and Cristobal because of the expectations for them this year. Cristobal acting confident at the presser today about his team and said they are clearly better than last years team without the usual they have to show it on the field. I am worried he may be right. Hopefully the Swamp can get us the win as I wouldn't like our chances a lot on a neutral field. This Miami team after the portal additions I think has NFL talent equal to the SEC teams that are the next group below Texas, GA and Bama.

When looking at where we currently are as a Country,,, the upcoming football season is just an entertainment distraction and as such is really NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL! Keeping some perspective in life in general is always advisable....

For example, which of these two would you rather see happen.
The Gators go 4-8 with ugly tweet Trump as President,
OR
The Gators go 8-4 with the K-mala Hyena as President?

It's good to be confident but that lady is crazy thinking Miami doesn't have a good QB situation. That transfer QB would likely be a very top QB if he had any running game at Wash State. They were almost the worst in the whole country with that. He has good players around him at Miami. We need for the Swamp and it being game 1 to have him out of sync with the receivers for this game. A lot of people think Miami will compete for a playoff spot with this year's roster and the ACC schedule.

It's good to be confident but that lady is crazy thinking Miami doesn't have a good QB situation. That transfer QB would likely be a very top QB if he had any running game at Wash State. They were almost the worst in the whole country with that. He has good players around him at Miami. We need for the Swamp and it being game 1 to have him out of sync with the receivers for this game. A lot of people think Miami will compete for a playoff spot with this year's roster and the ACC schedule.
Cam Ward is very good. He can sling it. Only positive for us is he's not super mobile. He tends to hold the ball too long and take sacks. Now if he gets hurt, then she's right, not a very good situation behind him. But he's going to be a problem for us.

Cam Ward is very good. He can sling it. Only positive for us is he's not super mobile. He tends to hold the ball too long and take sacks. Now if he gets hurt, then she's right, not a very good situation behind him. But he's going to be a problem for us.

Yep he is stubborn and wants to find a receiver sometimes instead of running when he should or throwing the ball away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT