ADVERTISEMENT

The playoff rankings are retarded...

No perfect system but the goal should be to keep the importance of the regular season and not reward teams for being mediocre. And 8 or 16 team playoff works against that. Like I keep saying there's a reason you guys are posting on a CFB message board and not an NFL message board. Nobody cares about the NFL regular season and for good reason, why would anyone want CFB to go in the same direction?

I don't care about or follow the No Fun League, but for very different reasons than you state.

My most recent reason (but not the only reason) is that if Tebow is not good enough for the NFL, then the NFL is not good enough for me. Owners like Dan 'the snake' Snyder are another reason. That list of reasons continues to grow, as my interest in the NFL diminishes to near zero...

Fair enough but interest in the NFL keeps dropping. And it's for a reason, one of them being the drawn out season where even 8-8 teams can get in the playoffs by winning their division. That's a shitty product and idk why anyone wants it at the CFB level.

I feel that an eight team playoff would make games more relevant, not less.

In the current system, once you've lost a couple of games, you're done. That might seem right, but it does have the effect of making the rest of the season less meaningful when you know that you have zero chance of a national championship.

One nice thing about an eight team playoff is that it allows for teams to stumble earlier in the year, and then have a come back -- which can keep things interesting. I know the NFL takes this to an extreme, where basically all you have to do is have a winning record. But an eight team playoff would still generally limit it to teams with no more than a couple of losses, or maybe three in extreme situations.

Reactions: sadgator
No perfect system but the goal should be to keep the importance of the regular season and not reward teams for being mediocre. And 8 or 16 team playoff works against that. Like I keep saying there's a reason you guys are posting on a CFB message board and not an NFL message board. Nobody cares about the NFL regular season and for good reason, why would anyone want CFB to go in the same direction?

I've said it before but nobody ever talks about it. How about a 6 team playoff, with the top 2 teams getting a bye? I'm not in favor of going to an 8 team playoff and definitely not a 16 team playoff

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe

In the current system, once you've lost a couple of games, you're done. That might seem right, but it does have the effect of making the rest of the season less meaningful when you know that you have zero chance of a national championship.

One nice thing about an eight team playoff is that it allows for teams to stumble earlier in the year, and then have a come back -- which can keep things interesting. I know the NFL takes this to an extreme, where basically all you have to do is have a winning record. But an eight team playoff would still generally limit it to teams with no more than a couple of losses, or maybe three in extreme situations.

The current system certainly allows for one loss. And soon, maybe even this year, a two loss team will get in, provided they win their conference.

I've said it before but nobody ever talks about it. How about a 6 team playoff, with the top 2 teams getting a bye? I'm not in favor of going to an 8 team playoff and definitely not a 16 team playoff

This is a great idea. That would be five games, right?

That also fits nicely with the traditional cash crop bowl naming system: Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton and then the national championship (eff the Fiesta bowl).

Only problem I have with 6 and I have the same complaint in the NFL is the bye is often a disadvantage.

I think if you go 8 and all 5 conferences get their champ in the conference games will be MORE important. And this year's 3 ar-large picks could very easily include a 1-loss Ohio St and a 1-loss Louisville, neither of which will water down anything.

One thing I would never agree to is mandating a sport for a non-P5 team. As much as I think Fleck is a great coach and Western MI is doninating the MAC, I do not need to see those kids get physically injured by Bama to know they aren't a top 8 team.

6 teams

1 and 2 get a bye

3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5, with #3 and #4 getting home games

then do the same cfp stuff with the rotating bowls as the semi-finals

you still get rewarded for being in the top 4, but it expands the field and shouldn't leave out any deserving conference champ

4 is a good number to keep interest up and 6 would be the max imo to not really dilute the regular season.

Well see that's where we fundamentally disagree. I don't want a system that allows for a couple losses, this ain't the everybody get a participation trophy tournament. Want to be a champion or have a chance at winning a title? Be an excellent team. You shouldn't get to lose 2-3 games and still have a chance at a title. That's 25% of your games lost.

I'd be ok with 6 too. Wouldn't love it, but it's the best alternative to 4 if they decide to move that way. And the reason I say that is because you can go back 15 years and there was almost always an argument for team #3 or #4 being as good as #1 or #2. Sometimes that's been the case for #5 or #6 but not usually.

If they go to 6 they need to move the regular season back to 10 or 11 games. Don't sell me any BS about 'student-athletes' when you're gonna have these dudes playing 16 game schedules when it's all said and done. Not only would moving it back to 10 or 11 games ratchet up the importance of the regular season, but then you could top it off with a 4-team playoff. So you get the best of both worlds.

Does SoS come into your thinking?

How about a loss due to a critical 1-2 game injury during an otherwise great season?

Otherwise, just let all of the undefeated D1 teams share the NC at the end of the regular season, forget about a Playoff, and go play the bowls just for fun and the $$$...

Does SoS come into your thinking?

How about a loss due to a critical 1-2 game injury during an otherwise great season?

Otherwise, just let all of the undefeated D1 teams share the NC at the end of the regular season, forget about a Playoff, and go play the bowls just for fun and the $$$...

Definitely. But even with a great SOS a great team still won't lose more than 1 game, 2 tops and that's usually flukish. Look at our title teams for example...all had SOS in the top 5 and yet only lost 1 game.

Penn State could win the conference and get money bagged out by a team that they BEAT...

The Louisville loss is a prime example of why we need to take it to 8.

So many people were arguing that Louisville should have been in the top 4...what if they didn't have Houston on their schedule? They could get in and nobody would know that they really aren't all that (see Ohio State circa 2006). There needs to be a corrective balance for the teams that should be in, but get shafted for a pretender...8 protects against that.

Last edited:
Ill never forget those ohio state fans talking mad shit before the NC game in Arizona while they were all dying from sun burn from only one afternoon of seeing it in their lifetime. They were literally all walking about hammered drunk celebrating their NC trophy and rings already in front of us and telling our fans to go home and didn't belong in the same stadium with them or their fans... I've been around every SEC fanbase and many other teams in my life going to games and tailgating, they were by far the most ignorant, pretentious and arrogant bunch ive ever seen. If i wasn't a pretty decent sized muscular young male im positive they would have been swinging at me during the middle to end of the 2nd quarter because iv'e NEVER poured it on like an asshole to that extreme like I was around the time Jarvis sack fumbled Troy Smith and harvey picked it up and took it inside the ten... They were waving in my face and our fans after the opening kickoff telling us to leave and "you should have known to never think you could play with us as a team that couldn't even beat Auburn"...

I mean dude these fans were getting married outside of the stadium in front of the porta potties and proclaiming it in the presence of the greatest college football team ever, and meaning it. They really thought they were going to beat us like we beat them, never witnessed a more karma effect in just three hours of human history and never will again I guess unless we beat Alabama or something as a huge underdog in Atlanta or something. Their faces were inexplicable at the half and the rest of the game, their fans were making a TON of noise pre game and in the first quarter, you wouldn't have even known all their fans were there by the 2nd half. You have to remember their fans outnumbered us greatly in that stadium because they knew they were going long before we even played our last game in Atlanta then had to wait til the next night for the announcement of who would be playing them at #2.. It was EASILY 65 % their fans in there but ours were loud as hell in our sections it sounded like the Swamp once that roof closed.

When Emmitt got put on the big screen in the 4th quarter that place ERUPTED, what a night that was, nothing will ever top that game live. Did anyone here go to that game or any of the other NC games? I almost went in 08 but the tickets were too much, the craziest part about that ordained 06 game and season was I went to Arizona last minute with my gf at the time that went to UF and then an hour before kickoff they went to pick up their tickets from the ticket window and they accidentally gave them TWO stuck together for me to go to the greatest game ever for FREE. That's the karma you get for being a true Gator growing up where I did my entire life, that's still the most Gator games ive been to in one season, I went to 9 games that year and to Jax for the first time. What a magical season that was and how i met my gf at the time and how it all played out, sometimes I forget i even went to the game until I see the stub it was all like a long drawn out dream that never happens in reality. That team will always be the most special to me, the 96 one was different being the first time and after getting pounded in the NC game the year before, I was only ten years old but beating FSU of all people and in that fashion with revenge it hardly gets better than that. When we get to NC games we are probably the most dominant team in them in history

when i saw what happened to michigan in the rose bowl it made me even more sure of what would happen, ive still never seen UF dominate a team like that up front and it was the NC game... not even the small teams

and then we won by the same exact score as the rose bowl

when i saw what happened to michigan in the rose bowl it made me even more sure of what would happen, ive still never seen UF dominate a team like that up front and it was the NC game... not even the small teams

and then we won by the same exact score as the rose bowl
83 yards of offense*

*what OSU had by the end of the game

The Louisville loss is a prime example of why we need to take it to 8.

So many people were arguing that Louisville should have been in the top 4...what if they didn't have Houston on their schedule? They could get in and nobody would know that they really aren't all that (see Ohio State circa 2006). There needs to be a corrective balance for the teams that should be in, but get shafted for a pretender...8 protects against that.

I would think Louisville works against your argument seeing as even with these two losses they would be in the thick of the playoff conversation if it expanded to 8.

Remember OSU played Michigan (who many thought should be in instead of us) in the "game of the century" that November.

They beat that drum for a month plus...and urban...as he always did...had our guys ready to play in a big game.

I experienced this argument first hand. When I left ATL for the airport, everyone in the motel was trying to get title game tickets because they knew UF was going. When I got back in MI bu the afternoon, they were planning for a rematch.

I would say based on our game and the Rose Bowl that they got it right

Penn State could win the conference and get money bagged out by a team that they BEAT...

I do have a problem with a Big 5 conference champion getting left out in favor of a non conference champion if the losses are the same and would never allow it if the records were the same and one team beat the other head to head and could care less what the strength of schedule was in the case of beating the other team head to head.

I would think Louisville works against your argument seeing as even with these two losses they would be in the thick of the playoff conversation if it expanded to 8.
Louisville SHOULD be ranked in the 20's...that is the problem. 8 ensures that a team that truly should be in doesn't get ripped off and left out due to the limited number of spots (one of which going to a team like Louisville).

Louisville SHOULD be ranked in the 20's...that is the problem. 8 ensures that a team that truly should be in doesn't get ripped off and left out due to the limited number of spots (one of which going to a team like Louisville).

Why should they be ranked in the 20s? Based on this one game? Their losses are to a Clemson team which will likely end the season 11-1 and a likely 10-2 Houston team. Those are better losses than just about every team in the back half of the top 10. The conclusion to come to after last night's game if any is that 2-loss teams aren't championship worthy. Teams 5-10 right now are no different than Louisville, they have no business in a playoff either if Louisville doesn't.

I think OU is better than UL but I don't think either team is anything better than average

FSU...

...wait for it.
Yep. Lville doesn't exactly have any really good wins either. They beat an average FSU team and an FSU team that hasn't beaten anybody. FSU has a home loss to a very average North Carolina team.

Obviously it is Bama and everybody else at the moment.

IF the Gators beat FSU and pull of another maricle win in the SEC-C game, would they be deserving of a Playoff berth as a 2 loss team? :cool:

IF the Gators beat FSU and pull of another maricle win in the SEC-C game, would they be deserving of a Playoff berth as a 2 loss team? :cool:
Hell yes without question! By the way, we scored more than Bama did against Lsu! We will win it, I can feel it!

Why not do what some states are going to with their high playoff format? Florida use to have a point system and starting next year they are going back to this sytem because it works. The current NCAA sytem does not work, Period. It's flawed big time

Hell yes without question! By the way, we scored more than Bama did against Lsu! We will win it, I can feel it!

Take both hands outta-yo-pockets and repeat that for me so's I'm sure what you're feeling about things.... :D

How often are teams 6-8 worthy of playing for a championship? All the teams in that range now have 2 losses already and we still have games left to play. Sorry but you shouldn't get to lose 25% of your games and compete for a title, this isn't the NFL (which is losing viewers by the way). It takes all the meaning out of the games in the regular season. And then by guaranteeing a playoff spot to a conference champ you leave the door open to 3-4 loss teams winning a poor conference and still getting in, like OU may do this year. That's awful.

There are 120 teams in 1-A, so 25% would be an 30 team playoff.

Hell. And I mean this.

Finish the season with wins at LSU, Florida State and Alabama in Atlanta to be SEC champs and 10-2, and we should be playing for the national title.

Only one true stink game at Arkansas, one giveaway at the Butch, yet with that finish...boo yah.

There are 120 teams in 1-A, so 25% would be an 30 team playoff.

Huh?

I was saying there's 12 regular season games. 3 losses is 25% of that 12. Teams 6-8 will all likely have 3 losses this year so I was saying teams that lose 25% of their games shouldn't get a chance to play for a title. Wasn't talking about 25% of 1-A teams being in the playoffs.

No dog in the % fight, but JFYI....

For 2016, there are 128 D1 Teams.

25% would be 32 teams.

6% would be 7.7 teams.

Huh?

I was saying there's 12 regular season games. 3 losses is 25% of that 12. Teams 6-8 will all likely have 3 losses this year so I was saying teams that lose 25% of their games shouldn't get a chance to play for a title. Wasn't talking about 25% of 1-A teams being in the playoffs.

Ah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT