ADVERTISEMENT

The Florida/UMass Thread

We seem a little crazy on defense to me. Like we'll make some big plays but give up big plays either through busts or penalty. That and our o-line are my big concerns.

Yea, the defense is taking chances. We shouldn't have to do that against overmatched teams.

I honestly cannot recall a Gator team that didn't get a lot of defensive penalties.

Reckless enthusiasm led to too many penalties. On the good side we now have both a reliable qb and a reliable field goal kicker. Best of all we are now 1-0. I'd say the glass was more than half full.

Thought Del Rio looked pretty good for a first start, JS is our best RB and needs the bulk of the carries, defense made stupid plays but still only gave up 160 yards, o-line was pretty bad and needs some major work.....l will wait to hit the panic button until I see a couple of more games.

I am OK with this game.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

I better never see Williamson on the field ever again or I will have to track his mother down and kidnap her. He single handedly kept Umass in the game for that long on two absolutely embarrassing plays on defense. Kid is a bum

The right side of the Oline is a problem specifically Fred Joh
Need a new RT in a hurry and Tabor back. I hope Massey's injury isn't severe. Stop with the stupid personal foul penalties.

Right side got the most attention because the mistakes there were glaring, but Dillard continues to get put on skates. Can't have a weak link at center and have a good line. I wish they'd make Jordan the starting center and be done with it. I guess the good news is that after Johnson's performance tonight we're now back to starting a true freshman at right tackle. That tends to work out well.

Yea I think it was Gecko that mentioned we had a stellar ground game but nothing really supports that. We ran well towards the end when we just stuck to Scarlett and they were worn down. But to put that 3.7 ypc into perspective... that average would have had us ranked 100+ in the country a year ago.

Yea I think it was Gecko that mentioned we had a stellar ground game but nothing really supports that. We ran well towards the end when we just stuck to Scarlett and they were worn down. But to put that 3.7 ypc into perspective... that average would have had us ranked 100+ in the country a year ago.

Yep I think a few decent runs near the end clouded how poor our run game was considering who we were facing.

We ran none of the mesh routes that we ran a lot last year to open our passing game that I saw, the only good pass combo we ran was on the drive we scored and the two point conversion.

We ran none of the mesh routes that we ran a lot last year to open our passing game that I saw, the only good pass combo we ran was on the drive we scored and the two point conversion.

Don't think Del Rio has the arm to hit that consistently. And that's not hating on him because his timing and accuracy are great but after about 15 yards the lack of arm is noticeable. And you could tell by how Umass was playing us in the secondary they didn't feel threatened by our passing game.

I really like the fact that D Rio is not going to get us beat by being careless with the football. He's obviously a student of the game and knows exactly where every player is supposed to be on any given play. Unlike his predecessors in Driskel, Treon and Grier who were all very mistake prone and probably never opened the playbook without being told to by the coaches.

I'm very skeptical though about his arm strength and can see SEC coordinators playing man coverage and blitzing on just about every damn down because he has no chance of throwing past 25 yards. Couple that with an O line that couldn't open consistent holes against one of worst teams we've played in the past 30 years and you have a recipe for trouble.

Reactions: GordonGecko
I better never see Williamson on the field ever again or I will have to track his mother down and kidnap her. He single handedly kept Umass in the game for that long on two absolutely embarrassing plays on defense. Kid is a bum
What do you have against my Grandson?

j/k never met the lad

Thought Del Rio looked pretty good for a first start, JS is our best RB and needs the bulk of the carries, defense made stupid plays but still only gave up 160 yards, o-line was pretty bad and needs some major work.....l will wait to hit the panic button until I see a couple of more games.

Agreed. The right side of the line was woeful when pass blocking, compared to the left side. Yet the right side was better that the left at run blocking. It looked to me that the offensive plan was the anti-Muschamp. Pass a lot even when it was not necessary, just to give all the players maximum experiences in that facet of the game. Did you know that Luke Del Rio joined Rex Grossman and Chris Leak as the only Gator quarterbacks since 1996 to complete 65 percent of his passes (minimum 25 completions and 40 attempts), throw two touchdowns and zero interceptions? I also like it that eight different players caught passes and and three had five or more.

The defense, sans the penalties, played very, very well. I like that we play aggressive, both in play calling and in attitude. I would have preferred some turnovers, but can't have everything. Anytime a defense holds an offense to less than 200 yards and gets four sacks, that is impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeGator
You realize that Thompson and Scarlett rant for 92 yards on 19 carries. A 4.8 per carry?

Del Rio got credit for six runs, one of them a sack, for 11 yards.

Yep that is how the stats always work and we should average 7 yards a carry against a crappy defense like this imo. 4.8 a carry for RBs is pretty bad against that level of a team imo. ND averaged like 9 yards a carry against them and a couple of their other decent opponents averaged well over 6 yards a carry against them last season.

Agreed. The right side of the line was woeful when pass blocking, compared to the left side. Yet the right side was better that the left at run blocking. It looked to me that the offensive plan was the anti-Muschamp. Pass a lot even when it was not necessary, just to give all the players maximum experiences in that facet of the game. Did you know that Luke Del Rio joined Rex Grossman and Chris Leak as the only Gator quarterbacks since 1996 to complete 65 percent of his passes (minimum 25 completions and 40 attempts), throw two touchdowns and zero interceptions? I also like it that eight different players caught passes and and three had five or more.

The defense, sans the penalties, played very, very well. I like that we play aggressive, both in play calling and in attitude. I would have preferred some turnovers, but can't have everything. Anytime a defense holds an offense to less than 200 yards and gets four sacks, that is impressive.

I watched some of the replay mostly first half and a little of the 3rd quarter and Ivey was really sticking out on a few plays. When they would move guys around to the line right before the ball was snapped he would get confused and barely touched a few guys that were clearly his responsibility and it shouldn't have been confusing at all it was his guy to block.

As far as RT Fred Johnson I saw his guy get pressure a few times but usually he pushed them wide enough to keep them from getting to the QB but I might have missed some of his real bad plays since I maybe saw half of the snaps when focusing on the O Line in the replay.

Clearly, I misused "stellar". I should have said "adequate".

We have an OK running game with some depth at the position, but I don't see who the "Kelvin Taylor" is yet.

O-line needs to continue to improve.

We have an OK running game with some depth at the position, but I don't see who the "Kelvin Taylor" is yet.

O-line needs to continue to improve.
One overlooked part of Kevin's game is his ability to pick up the blitzer. Did not see any of the RBs doing that last night.

The main thing that sucks about that do to it being a close game is we couldn't even get our 2nd string QB in the game let alone the freshman Trask.

Two early first half no-return injuries: D.Dawson (arm) and D.Massey(knee).
The Gators were then playing their 3rd string CB, Chris Williamson Soph.
Chris played okay most of the time, but he got beat early on 2 big plays for 24 & 53 yds.
Later, 2 new guys, (C.Gardner and J.Putu) played well at that CB spot.
While the offense was missing their speedy starter at slot WR.

The Gator defense gave up just 1 score and 187 total yards (46 rushing) for the game.
Their negatives came in their 'wet field' penalties and over aggressiveness a few times.
On the only U-Mass TD drive, almost 1/2 of their yards came on UF penalties.
"We started kind of slow. There are a lot of things we have to clean up, but that's part of playing a first game. -- MLB Alex Anzalone in his post game comments.
----------

LDR threw for 2 TD's, 1 to WR Callaway,, the other to WR Brandon Powell.

Ed-dy - Ed-dy went 4/4 on FG's, but only 3 that counted on the scoreboard, (28--40-48-49) They took the 1st off the board on a penalty, in an attempt to score a TD, but then failed to do so. IMOHO, this kid really does have a chance to become the Gator's best kicker of all times! :)

The Gators won the game 24 - 7 while playing a large majority of their roster.

Coach Mc is now 2-0 in home openers.
Which continues UF's nation leading 27 consecutive home openers win streak.

Note: I got more rain on Saturday in my rain gauges, than I got during the hurricane on Friday.

By the numbers:

QB Luke Del Rio - 29 of 44, 65.9% for 256 yds, 2 TD's, 0 Ints.
Rushing 6 for 11 yds, 1.9 ypc with 1 sack.

WR Antonio Callaway - 8 for 72 yds. 1 TD.
WR Brandon Powell - 7 for 73 yds, 1 TD.
WR Josh Hammond - 5 for 38 yds.
TE DeAndre Goolsby - 3 for 28 yds
WR Freddie Swain - 2 for 11 yds. (included a 2 pt conversion)
WR Ahmad Fulwood - 1 for 13 yds..

RB Jordan Scarlett - 13 for 70 yds, 5.4 ypc. -- Rec 1 for 8 yds.
RB Mark Thompson - 6 for 22 yds, 3.67 ypc.
RB Jordan Cronkrite - 3 for 11 yds, 3.67 ypc. -- Rec 2 for 13 yds.
RB Lamical Perine - 1 for -1 yds on a wet, pouring rain strip fumble in the 1st qtr.

UF Team Rushing - 29 for 107 yds, 3.7 ypc. (very wet night in the pouring rain)

That might look pretty bad, until you look at U-Mass, 35 for 81 yds, 1.7 ypc.
Despite the very wet conditions, the Gator offense averaged 5.0 yds/play on 73 plays.

A BIG PLUS - ZERO TURNOVERS on a wet sloppy night in the very wet SWAMP.

Penalties Against - 8 for 80 yds, D-55 yds, O-25 yds.
3rd down conversions: UF 9 of 17 -- U-Mass 1 of 11.
Sacks Against: UF 1 for 6 yds -- U-Mass 4 for 33 yds.

Eddy Pineiro - FG's 3/3 - 40-48-49 (+ 28 = 4/4) -- In 2015 UF was a chitty 7/17 on FG's.
Johnny Townsend - 44.5 yds, Net 42.5 yds, with a couple pooch-ed inside the 10 yd line.

~ Those Game Stats were taken from a site at CBS-Sports.

On a very wet, sloppy night, against a patsy team, and a week before our SEC opener, I didn't really expect much more than a win. A 3 score win with lots of Fr playing is good enough for me,,, for now.

I'm going to save any sniveling or whining I might have done until after the SEC opener next Sat

Last edited:
Jaawan Taylor will start at RT soon enough. Yes he's a true freshmen but he's going to be very good. In fact we started running behind him at one point in the 2nd half and started picking up yards.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Jaawan Taylor will start at RT soon enough. Yes he's a true freshmen but he's going to be very good. In fact we started running behind him at one point in the 2nd half and started picking up yards.

Fred to backup RT or maybe at RG instead. Fred is kinda small compared to Jaawan (340), and he doesn't seem able to move his feet fast enough when it's called for? But Fred might bloom later if he keeps on working on his own development. I wish him well either way.

I'm expecting quite a lot of shifting around at many positions between now and that 4th game.

The OL that iG would like to see, at least tried for a series includes:

LT Sharpe 6-6 357
LG Forsythe 6-7 329
C Cam Dillard 6-4 313
RG Sandifer 6-3 323
RT J.Taylor 6-5 340

And if they can't run behind that O-line, then throw in on every down....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT