ADVERTISEMENT

Texas loses to Kansas for first time since 1938...Strong must be finished

He'll be lucky to get any job above HC at mid-tier non-power 5 school.

DC is back in his future, even though he appears to have forgotten how to coach that as well.

DC is back in his future, even though he appears to have forgotten how to coach that as well.

Let's find a way to get him in as recruiting coordinator. He has some South Florida connections we could use.

I would think a lower level Power 5 might consider him but you never know I guess.

I would think a lower level Power 5 might consider him but you never know I guess.

Like a Kansas?

I think he'd be better served to pull an NFL-like move and return as a DC to a major school (Miami anyone?) and get them on track, repair his reputation, and give it another go.

Hell guys like Terry Bowden are still coaching, they just fell down the hierarchy so much that they coach at teams you've never heard of and will never get the press coverage they once had at their prime. It happens to good coaches all the time, and bad coaches stay in the spotlight forever it seems. Somehow. Lane Kiffin.... Butch Jones.... These are guys I wouldn't feel are qualified to monitor a recess playground at an elementary school, yet they keep themselves in top tier jobs somehow despite their lack of abilities.

That said, Reading what Charlie Strong made in 3 years at Texas and the 10 million $ buyout he will get if they fire him this year, the man is not hurting for money at all and can walk away and never have to work a day in his life again if he so chooses. I am not feeling too bad for him on that end.

GD, I can't believe I am going to say this...I agree with Danny.

He and MUSCHAMP both need to focus on becoming NFL DECOs, like a Wade Phillips. They could both do great.

MUS and STRONG are NOT good head coaches.

GD, I can't believe I am going to say this...I agree with Danny.

He and MUSCHAMP both need to focus on becoming NFL DECOs, like a Wade Phillips. They could both do great.

MUS and STRONG are NOT good head coaches.

I think he would do well in the NFL but he is such a potent recruiting commodity, I doubt he takes that route.

Also, I am aware that guys like Bowden are still coaching, but we all know he's never getting a decent gig again.

Reactions: seffnergator
The problem is, we have Randy Shannon on staff who is our IN for the south Florida recruiting. He is also co-defensive coordinator. Bring in yet ANOTHER defensive coordinator? One who has never worked with Coach Mac before? I just don't see that as working, no matter how much we may like Charlie Strong. I didn't want DJ Durkin to leave, but we let him go and he went up and made MU a defensive powerhouse last year in just one season. Now he's at Maryland.

Many of these coaches have aspirations to run their own programs, and that goes for guys on both sides of the ball. Everyone these days wants to see crazy and insane numbers being put up and its all about offense, but your defense is what wins you games and championships.

It's an unforgivable loss, as KU was 1-9 and is, well, KU, but I wanted to point out that the 1938 thing is a bit misleading, as they have only played 18 times total. It's not like they broke a 76 game losing streak.

How does everyone know he's not a good head coach? He did well at Louisville and he did bad at Texas. Maybe he got lucky at Louisville. Maybe he was in a bad situation at Texas.

How does everyone know he's not a good head coach? He did well at Louisville and he did bad at Texas. Maybe he got lucky at Louisville. Maybe he was in a bad situation at Texas.

If he is a HC again, it needs to be at a smaller school at first...like South Carolina, for example.

Reactions: sadgator
sadgator thinks it is wrong to boot a guy in-season (unless you are Muschamp). Only one more week to wait...might as well let him finish it.

Yea, I guess. It seems to me that if the AD has made his mind up to fire Strong, he should just do it. He is obviously going to be let go.

Hard to say but I always thought he hit the lottery with that QB up there but he did bring in some nice recruits while at Louisville.

Fit matters. Like I keep saying Louisville was 4-8 when Strong got there and by year 3 they were in a BCS game. A bad coach doesn't do that especially when he's getting leftover recruits.

Where Strong went wrong at Texas is that he went with the complete rebuild strategy and a place like that just isn't gonna have that kinda patience. First year he kicked a bunch of players off the team and most of them were starters. They ended up 6-6 when with those players they probably win 8-9 games. Then year two he went complete tear down and played a bunch of freshmen from his first class. Think they had something like 7 true freshmen starting on defense at one point. Now in year 3 he's playing a bunch of true freshmen again to compliment those sophomores. They have a true freshman QB, center, couple DT's, etc. He tried to play the long game when he could have played upperclassmen and won 7-8 games minimum each of the first two years and his seat wouldn't be near as hot. It'll pay dividends for the next coach.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
Fit matters. Like I keep saying Louisville was 4-8 when Strong got there and by year 3 they were in a BCS game. A bad coach doesn't do that especially when he's getting leftover recruits. .

So I have to do it...

Does the same go for taking a Colorado State to 10-2 in 3 years?

Reactions: TennesseeGator
No matter how you try and spin in it Charlie Strong did a poor job at Texas. He's going to get fired because of it. This is coming from a Charlie Strong supporter.

16-20 in 3 seasons isn't going to cut it.

Of course it's just as impressive. Why wouldn't it be? Is anyone saying Mac is a bad coach or comparing him to Strong though?

I do believe people are questioning Mac.

And yes, I am comparing them.

A break wants to be given to Strong for going 16-20 in 3 years, but people here are ready to flip shit because going 18-6 with back-to-back division titles isn't good enough.

Lol...but good old Charlie is doing a dandy of a job, he's just in a tough spot because of those mean Texas boosters.

(And save me the obligatory "the offense sucks" mantra. Nobody thinks it's good so you can stop making it some sort of battleground)

I do believe people are questioning Mac.

And yes, I am comparing them.

A break wants to be given to Strong for going 16-20 in 3 years, but people here are ready to flip shit because going 18-6 with back-to-back division titles isn't good enough.

Lol...but good old Charlie is doing a dandy of a job, he's just in a tough spot because of those mean Texas boosters.

(And save me the obligatory "the offense sucks" mantra. Nobody thinks it's good so you can stop making it some sort of battleground)

Pretty sure in another thread I said I'd be happy going 7-5 if we found a QB for the future while doing so. So I wish people would decide what side of the fence I supposedly sit on. On the one hand, people tell me its stupid for saying I'm ok with building for the future. But then on the other hand people say I'm flipping shit about what's going on now. LOL. How can both be true? If I'm ok with building for the future then very clearly won-loss record ain't my #1 priority. And I've said that repeatedly. So there's no gotcha moment to be had.

And I never said anything about Texas boosters. Did I not place the blame at Strong's feet by saying he effed up by going with the nuclear option to rebuild? Big programs don't have the patience for that and he should have known better.

Pretty sure in another thread I said I'd be happy going 7-5 if we found a QB for the future while doing so. So I wish people would decide what side of the fence I supposedly sit on. On the one hand, people tell me its stupid for saying I'm ok with building for the future. But then on the other hand people say I'm flipping shit about what's going on now. LOL. How can both be true? If I'm ok with building for the future then very clearly won-loss record ain't my #1 priority. And I've said that repeatedly. So there's no gotcha moment to be had.

And I never said anything about Texas boosters. Did I not place the blame at Strong's feet by saying he effed up by going with the nuclear option to rebuild? Big programs don't have the patience for that and he should have known better.

This seems to be a common miscommunication.

Just because I quote your lost does not mean im only referring to things you are specifically stating.

Many times, im only bringing up to you the various talking points and General tropes that appear on this board.

It's not a "gotcha" or "I told you so."

Again. I compared Strong and Mac's record. In doing that, I also pointed out the two very different perspectives that seem to be had about the two coaches.

I know, deep down, that if Charlie hadnt coached here for so long and for many years the fan base called for his chance at a HC job, that there wouldn't be all this "poor Charlie" sentiment floating around.

Just because I quote your lost does not mean im only referring to things you are specifically stating.

Many times, im only bringing up to you the various talking points and General tropes that appear on this board.

Again. I compared Strong and Mac's record. In doing that, I also pointed out the two very different perspectives that seem to be had about the two coaches.

I know, deep down, that if Charlie hadnt coached here for so long and for many years the fan base called for his chance at a HC job, that there wouldn't be all this "poor Charlie" sentiment floating around.

Well yea you quoted me so I thought you were talking about what I had said lol. My bad.

And yea that probably is true, or it could be they just like him. You won't see people rooting for our other assistants somewhere else. It is weird how so many people hate defense-first coaches but wanted Strong, I never understood that.

Well yea you quoted me so I thought you were talking about what I had said lol. My bad.

And yea that probably is true, or it could be they just like him. You won't see people rooting for our other assistants somewhere else. It is weird how so many people hate defense-first coaches but wanted Strong, I never understood that.

I don't know if you remember, but there was a lot of talk about how he'd been (excuse me) black balled for being a black man married to a white woman.

Also, a lot of the love for him being our HC did predate the full realization of the problems with a defensive HC in the current college landscape.

Nobody has come remotely close to comparing Strong's job at UT favorably to Mac's at UF. I don't think anyone is arguing Strong doesn't deserve to be fired. I don't think anyone on this board would argue that Mac should be fired.

Strong did a great job at UF as DC and he did a great job at Louisville, prior to not getting it done at UT. So some UF fans think he might still make a good head coach somewhere else. I don't see what the confusion is.

I don't know if you remember, but there was a lot of talk about how he'd been (excuse me) black balled for being a black man married to a white woman.

Also, a lot of the love for him being our HC did predate the full realization of the problems with a defensive HC in the current college landscape.

Nah don't remember that. I do remember people saying we chose Muschamp over him which made no sense. Strong got hired to Louisville in 10'...Meyer was still our coach then. So he never had a chance to be UF's head coach unless you thought he was gonna leave Louisville after 1 year. We didn't have a job opening until 11' and I highly doubt anybody would have been excited about hiring 7-6 Strong then. Yet media and other people keep saying we hired Muschamp over him.

Nice pun btw lol

Nobody has come remotely close to comparing Strong's job at UT favorably to Mac's at UF. I don't think anyone is arguing Strong doesn't deserve to be fired. I don't think anyone on this board would argue that Mac should be fired.

Strong did a great job at UF as DC and he did a great job at Louisville, prior to not getting it done at UT. So some UF fans think he might still make a good head coach somewhere else. I don't see what the confusion is.

I'm not saying that people are favorable towards Strong's performance, what I am saying is that, specially among Gator fans, there's a real like for the guy that causes them to semi-excuse it (and this is throughout his tenure at UT) because it wasn't "the right fit" and that the boosters are the problem.

Now, those things may be, and I believe are, true. But it doesn't excuse the awful product put on the field.

His signature win this year is an opening win in a crazy game against Notre Dame, which we found out is also not a very good team.

Now, take the opinion by some around here that Mac isn't that good, he isn't really getting the job done, he's only succeeding because the East sucks, etc.

I'm not, and never have said that there aren't problems, but I think that what Mac has done this far is very good.

Well, OF COURSE many of us like Charley because we know he was a very good DECO and a seemingly VERY GOOD PERSON. The players liked him a lot.

I don't see anything wrong with wanting Charley to do well....which he hasn't really done...

I'm not saying that people are favorable towards Strong's performance, what I am saying is that, specially among Gator fans, there's a real like for the guy that causes them to semi-excuse it (and this is throughout his tenure at UT) because it wasn't "the right fit" and that the boosters are the problem.

Now, those things may be, and I believe are, true. But it doesn't excuse the awful product put on the field.

His signature win this year is an opening win in a crazy game against Notre Dame, which we found out is also not a very good team.

Now, take the opinion by some around here that Mac isn't that good, he isn't really getting the job done, he's only succeeding because the East sucks, etc.

I'm not, and never have said that there aren't problems, but I think that what Mac has done this far is very good.

danny_zps88f4cde0.gif~c200

Fit matters. Like I keep saying Louisville was 4-8 when Strong got there and by year 3 they were in a BCS game. A bad coach doesn't do that especially when he's getting leftover recruits.

Where Strong went wrong at Texas is that he went with the complete rebuild strategy and a place like that just isn't gonna have that kinda patience. First year he kicked a bunch of players off the team and most of them were starters. They ended up 6-6 when with those players they probably win 8-9 games. Then year two he went complete tear down and played a bunch of freshmen from his first class. Think they had something like 7 true freshmen starting on defense at one point. Now in year 3 he's playing a bunch of true freshmen again to compliment those sophomores. They have a true freshman QB, center, couple DT's, etc. He tried to play the long game when he could have played upperclassmen and won 7-8 games minimum each of the first two years and his seat wouldn't be near as hot. It'll pay dividends for the next coach.

I think this is key.

Strong basically attempted the College Football equivalent of De-Ba'athification.

I think this is key.

Strong basically attempted the College Football equivalent of De-Ba'athification.

Yea that was a big miscalculation by him. Maybe he thought he'd get 4 years regardless but it wasn't the right strategy. Texas isn't Louisville. That and the fact that he had a boring offense the first two years in a pass-first league made it that much worse. You can't be bad and boring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT