ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier Retiring

I think the writing has been on the wall for well over a year. Lots of negative recruiting going his way with this speculation.

And it is effective immediately. Wow! USC will name an interim coach Tuesday AM.

Looks like both USC jobs are open.

Weird, I wonder if they forced him out and they are letting him call it retiring? I would think he would at least finish the season out, even if it's falling apart. Oh well, I hope he comes back to Gainesville and roams the sidelines, waiting to throw his visor for nonsense calls.

Very surprised that Spurs would hang it up mid-season. I kinda thought he might retire after last season - and very much expected it after this season since things aren't going well - but I never would've thought he would leave in the middle of the year.

He's coming home baby!

He saw where we need some top shelf QB coaching, stat, and he's going to come back and be a "consultant" for us, like the 20 extra coaches Bama has.

Steve needs to retire. C'mon man he was alive during WWI and WWII and he has seen it all. The man needs to enjoy being with his wife and get him a motor-home, take some Geritol, get ready to wear Depends and just enjoy medicare healthcare.

I hate to see him go out like this but he should have retired a few years ago.

Very surprised that Spurs would hang it up mid-season.
I'm mystified why that would be very surprising: He left his previous head-coaching job--the Washington Redskins--while right after his team was finished playing its regular season. There would be no postseason for those 5--11 Redskins of 2003. His 2-season tenure there was reputedly less bearable because of the notorious habitual meddling by its owner: (Dan?) Snyder. Spurrier was exasperated about being unable to control factors he believed he ought to be able to control on his own say-so.[*]

So the precedent I thought I remembered did not actually happen.

I kinda thought he might retire after last season [....]
I had a really uncomfortable feeling, right before last season, when I learned that the USC athletic administration had hung a several-stories-tall banner of Spurrier on the outside of their stadium.

I [...] very much expected it after this season since things aren't going well [....]
This and the previous quote also reflect opinions in which I'd become confident.

Might there be some medical reason behind the sudden decision? He seemed to be enviably vigorous as he entered his 2nd half-century, presumably a benefit of a regular exercise program. But the man hit his age 70 years milestone in April 2015.

Exercise is not a medical panacea. Even Jim Fixx: author of the best-selling The Complete Book of Running, which made him a nationally popular guru of running, famously dropped dead at only age 52, from a heart attack, ironically either while out on his daily run/jog, or shortly afterwards. As I recall, Fixx believed that he'd transformed himself into being so healthy that he didn't bother with regular medical check-ups. Even tho' there was family history that he (J.F.) might be genetically predisposed to heart problems.

-------
Note *: "Spurrier quits as Redskins coach". <http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2003-12-30-spurrier_x.htm>.

Last edited:
Crescent Beach gonna get their #1 man hanging out a lot more.
He and Jeri lived down the street from us in Tampa. Now that he's retired, I can say he was not a bad guy.

Roy Kramer came to my Rotary Club once awhile back and he said that three coaches fundamentally changed the SEC. Robert Neyland, Bear Bryant, and Steve Spurrier.

I agree. Loved to beat him and hated being beaten by him but he was never boring and I for one will miss his pressers. He was an original.

Between this news and the news about Grier it's enough to give us loyal gators an esophogeal spasm.........Really.

Why is a coach retiring from USC not good for "us"? Yeah I love the dude but now any chance they had at an upset at "us" is that much slimmer.

Plus now he can be a Gator again and not a cock.

Because he is not just some coach who came here and left....he is a lifelong Gator, brought the program to national prominence. Despite coaching for another team, he is one of "us" and to see him run out of gas, not be competitive, and leave mid season sucks.

Agree with Tenngator and dje....he is one of us, always will be and it sucks the way he went out, but glad we don't have to go against anymore and glad to not see him in another team's colors.

For as much as Steve did for South Carolina, did their offense ever lead the SEC during his tenure? sadgator honestly doesn't know, but it doesn't feel that way. sadgator doesn't debate the fact that Steve was a great coach, but it just seems like he never had quite the offensive success there that he would have liked. Perhaps that is just perception.

Talking about the offense only. Seems like a lot of the time it drove him crazy that he couldn't get it going. sadgator is just curious as to how they performed offensively under him. They obviously had some good years running it with Lattimore.

I love Spurrier. Easily my favorite coach in any sport and on any level. I truly hope this decision is SOS being flaky and not an indication of something health related. Assuming that to be the case I welcome the news! Hopefully we can once again begin penciling in the USCe game as a win rather than sweating it out.

For as much as Steve did for South Carolina, did their offense ever lead the SEC during his tenure? sadgator honestly doesn't know, but it doesn't feel that way. sadgator doesn't debate the fact that Steve was a great coach, but it just seems like he never had quite the offensive success there that he would have liked. Perhaps that is just perception.

It's all relative...he never made it what he wanted, but he made it far more than it would otherwise be capable of.

Reactions: oozie7
He was great for college football. That ESPN special where Kenny Chesney, heaux meaux, interviewed him was really good. Hopefully he can come back and be a guest speaker at SEC weekends just to rile up Clemson.

Because he is not just some coach who came here and left....he is a lifelong Gator, brought the program to national prominence. Despite coaching for another team, he is one of "us" and to see him run out of gas, not be competitive, and leave mid season sucks.

He is and always will be a Gator. A legend. Probably the Bull Gator of all Gators.

However I can't be sad that he left one of our divisional enemies. I know this board has folks who lose sleep on all and everything Nole. And some tiny bit of UGA. You may be one of those or you may not. I myself dislike any and all SEC opponents we face on a yearly basis. From Vanderbilt to SCar, to UT. From the players to the head coach. I can't stand em. Spur was unfortunately included. He was a yearly hurdle in UF winning the east. When he left DC he could have had 99.9% of any job opening. He chose to coach a team that was a divisional opponent. His choice.

Now he is a Gator again. He is not a cock.

Im glad he is gone. Steve will be fine. Steve will be happy. Steve will enjoy life. Steve will enjoy watching Gator football.

South Carolina will not be as competitive. South Carolina will struggle. South Carolina chances of winning the east got slimmer. South Carolina will be less of a hurdle for UF. I liked when South Carolina was in the basement with Vanderbilt. I can't get my jollies up because a Gator made South Carolina relevant. To hell with South Carolina.

Welcome back Spurrier

He is and always will be a Gator. A legend. Probably the Bull Gator of all Gators.

However I can't be sad that he left one of our divisional enemies. I know this board has folks who lose sleep on all and everything Nole. And some tiny bit of UGA. You may be one of those or you may not. I myself dislike any and all SEC opponents we face on a yearly basis. From Vanderbilt to SCar, to UT. From the players to the head coach. I can't stand em. Spur was unfortunately included. He was a yearly hurdle in UF winning the east. When he left DC he could have had 99.9% of any job opening. He chose to coach a team that was a divisional opponent. His choice.

Now he is a Gator again. He is not a cock.

Im glad he is gone. Steve will be fine. Steve will be happy. Steve will enjoy life. Steve will enjoy watching Gator football.

South Carolina will not be as competitive. South Carolina will struggle. South Carolina chances of winning the east got slimmer. South Carolina will be less of a hurdle for UF. I liked when South Carolina was in the basement with Vanderbilt. I can't get my jollies up because a Gator made South Carolina relevant. To hell with South Carolina.

Welcome back Spurrier

I can't say I disagree with you.

I can't say I disagree with you.
I haven't followed recruiting as much in the past many year like I use to. Not sure how many recruiting head to heads UF had with Spurrier. I do know though that SCar won't be signing the likes of Clowney, Lattimore, Jeffries,etc as easy as they did.

Why in the middle of the season?

After reading lots about it, here is my read on that. When he was coaching Duke and had accepted the UF job (1989/1990), he chose to coach them in their bowl game. When he was getting onto them during bowl practices and in the bowl game for messing up, he said several of the kids looked at him like 'you're not my coach anymore'. After that he always said that if you decide to leave a coaching job, once it gets out you need to go ahead and do it. That is why his resignation seemed so sudden when he left UF. He and Jeri knew before the Orange Bowl game, but no one else, including Foley, knew.

Fast forward to this situation. There is much out there that he was going to retire after last year. He decided not to (perhaps he was talked out of it?) and instead decided to stay on for a few more years - remember his press conference where he said he would be at USC for 'a while'? Then the season started and QB issues (among other things) lead to losses and I think he realized his heart wasn't in it anymore - at least not enough to bring the team back. He realized that he was not being fair to the team. He discussed it with Tanner (AD) and, true to his thought process outlined in the first paragraph, retired immediately.

Sincerely hope it's only because he just wants to go to the beach and nothing about his health. Best of luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT