ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

Eye test? Now that's rock solid evaluation right there. ;)

The village idiot dunny-goater will prolly agree, and then kiss you for it... :rolleyes:

Well anyone that thinks we had good linebacker play last season needs to rethink things imo. It was far from the standard of previous LB groups we have had here.

QBs in spotlight as Gators set for Friday spring scrimmage:

Midway through spring practice, Florida is set to scrimmage in The Swamp on Friday afternoon, and coach Dan Mullen expects to learn a little more about his team in the process.

“It’ll be fun to see what guys learned, where they’re at and in a scrimmage … to see who the playmakers are,” he said. “There are times at practice when that would have been a tackle. We’re going to find out in the scrimmage who can make the plays we need them to make.”

The quarterbacks won’t face live tackling, but the the rest of the players will.

As for the Gators’ four QBs — redshirt sophomores Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask, redshirt freshman Jake Allen and freshman early enrollee Emory Jones.

— Mullen said they’ll rotate between different units. (iG says thanks Dan!)

“They’ll all get reps with the 1s, 2s and 3s. I like to see how guys lead with different groups,” he said. “Like, hey, you’re great with the 1s, but you’re not very good with the 2s. You have to make sure that you can make everybody else around you better, too.”

Looking at some updates on this scrimmage it sounds like the offense looks like straight sh*t especially the O line.

Franks has thrown interceptions already apparently. Pass break ups all over and Allen fumbling the ball.

Last edited:

You cant make this stuff up but the one pick off the hands they are arguing which QB was out there then.

I know its only one scrimmage but Franks is really lost still it appears. Now he is skipping the ball in front of wide open WRs. Franks with a nice deep pass late.

Sounds like Clayton is really disrupting things when he has been on the field.

Last edited:
I’m not really sure what to make of those stats.

The ones from the 3rd stringers like Lemons I wouldn't put too much stock into because of the defense on the field but reading the stuff from someone observing it sounded like Mullen was giving Franks and Trask almost equal footing playing with the 1s and 2s and even mixed and matched them some. I think Perine may have got some easier stuff than Scarlett also.

It made it sound like Allen and Jones really have a ways to go at this point.

I’m not really sure what to make of those stats.
Franks has no shot, Trask could be the answer. Look at last spring Mac made the spring game a showcase for QB1 and Franks was mediocre . The year before Del Rio looked amazing . Hell Trask looked amazing.

Move him to TE, and let Trask and Jones battle

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Franks has no shot, Trask could be the answer. Look at last spring Mac made the spring game a showcase for QB1 and Franks was mediocre . The year before Del Rio looked amazing . Hell Trask looked amazing.

I am not ready to go that far yet because Trask may be as lost as Franks in an actual game - we just don't know yet. I do like what Mullen did here even knowing the press was there. Unlike Mac he doesn't seem to give a crap if keeping things realistic makes the QBs look like crap at times and it gets the fans worked up.

I am not ready to go that far yet because Trask may be as lost as Franks in an actual game - we just don't know yet. I do like what Mullen did here even knowing the press was there. Unlike Mac he doesn't seem to give a crap if keeping things realistic makes the QBs look like crap at times and it gets the fans worked up.

I agree with both concepts.

I do like that Mullen is mixing it up and seeing how things go with each QB against all three groups.

Franks at TE might be interesting, but keep in mind that just because he has size, doesn’t mean he has ability.

He’s not particularly fast, and he’s a good bit lanky to be a blocker, and we haven’t a clue what kind of hands he has.

It’s going to be an interesting year, that’s for sure.

SEC-Country Ryan Young - Post Friday Scrimage:

Trask is at least giving Mullen something to think about in his first audition with the new staff, and he was clearly the best QB on the field for Florida on Friday. :cool:

==========

According to unofficial media stats kept by the Gainesville Sun’s Robbie Andreu,

Trask finished 12 of 18 (66.7%) for 182 yards, 3 TD's and 1 Int. on a rainy afternoon in The Swamp.

Franks was 7 of 22 (31.8%) for 127 yards,
2 TD's, 3 Ints. and a fumble, adding some late highlights after a prolonged rough start.

Remember guys he doesn't care who wins the job. He just constantly promotes one QB over all the others to throw us off his scent. Brilliant.

I trust Dan Mullen way more than I did McElwain. He actually knows what he's doing and will find the guy who best fits what he wants to do. Just 1 scrimmage in crappy conditions means very little IMO. I don't care if Insta is right or wrong about Trask. I just want a QB who can make plays under pressure and not be a liability when we have the ball.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I trust Dan Mullen way more than I did McElwain. He actually knows what he's doing and will find the guy who best fits what he wants to do. Just 1 scrimmage in crappy conditions means very little IMO. I don't care if Insta is right or wrong about Trask. I just want a QB who can make plays under pressure and not be a liability when we have the ball.
Lol insta liked this post because it touts Trask.
But he thinks for some reason people like me and oozie HATE Trask, despite saying over and over again that we would be fine with him being the QB if he's the best.

Just don't make up silly reasons why he's the best.

Anyone cay buy the liar's current circle jerker bs, or they can go review their constant chit (going on 3 years now) thrown at a 'backup QB' that couldn't even start for his HS team, that had no other quality D1 offers, that was a 2-3 star with no real QB talent for SEC level of play.... :rolleyes:
But now, the 'forked tongues' will be flappin' like krazy, outta both sides of their lyin' mouths... (especially from the dunny-goater) :rolleyes:

===========
Moving right along....
===========

Quotes of Note:

Trask - "I came out here with a mindset of just stay locked in and focused the whole time and just try to execute at a high level. I'm just doing what I can do. If they give me a shot, that's up to the coaches. Right now I'm just working as hard as I can just to get better every day."

* His 3 Friday scrimmage TD passes went to: Hammond, Lewis, and Grimes. While his one Int 'stare-down' mistake went to the best DB on the team, Chauncey....

"I feel like I did a good job. My goal was just to execute at a high level and I feel like I did a decent job of that. My focus now is to just take this and continue to try and develop myself because I still think I have a ways to go if I really want to be an elite quarterback." (no excuses and the correct attitude imo - iG)

~ He is not concerned about those who doubt his running ability.
"I'm confident in my running ability,'' he said. "Lower the shoulder and do what you need to do to get the yard."

-----
Mullen - "He's got a live arm. Throws the ball really well (66.7%). He's got a lot of talent. Watching him, I think he's bought in to what we want to do. I tell them that the running aspect of the quarterback in our offense, I just want you to be a willing runner. If the defense gives you the opportunity to run, go run and go do it. -- He's shown a decent bit of athleticism to be able to run the ball as well."

McCoy - "Kyle Trask has been working hard.. He's been really competing hard and studying hard and just really working his tail off. I'm proud of him and I just can't wait to see what he does in the next couple of weeks in our scrimmages and the spring game. He's a fighter. I believe he is a great leader, too. Every time we're in the huddle, he's like, 'come on guys, let's go get it right.' He's really encouraging. I think he's really confident in everything he is doing."
=============

I have my favorite and I have made no secret of it for 3 years now, unlike the liars that are now attempting to play both sides of the street. :cool:

But if it had been Allen or Jones that was lighting it up, (I just have never thought that Franks had it in him, from watching him play since HS) I'd still be happy with that because I'm a Gator fan 1st, last, and always... o_O

Last edited:

I agree but I think Mullen will be forced to play it like he did in 2012 with Tyler Russell this upcoming season since our likely starting QBs aren't much of a running threat. We won't see many QB option runs I think.

our likely starting QBs aren't much of a running threat. We won't see many QB option runs I think.
And that looks like very 'fuzzy' :confused: thinking to me...

Mullen -- "I think he's bought in to what we want to do. I tell them that the running aspect of the quarterback in our offense, I just want you to be a willing runner. If the defense gives you the opportunity to run, go run and go do it. -- He's (Trask) shown a decent bit of athleticism to be able to run the ball as well."

Trask -- "I'm confident in my running ability. Lower the shoulder and do what you need to do to get the yard." (6-5 239)

Last edited:
And that looks like very 'fuzzy' :confused: thinking to me...

Mullen -- I think he's bought in to what we want to do. I tell them that the running aspect of the quarterback in our offense, I just want you to be a willing runner. If the defense gives you the opportunity to run, go run and go do it. -- He's (Trask) shown a decent bit of athleticism to be able to run the ball as well."

Trask -- "I'm confident in my running ability,'' he said. "Lower the shoulder and do what you need to do to get the yard." (6-5 239)

I am going by what he actually did last time in this situation. You will see them run a little but not much probably.

I am going by what he actually did last time in this situation. You will see them run a little but not much probably.

What Dan did then was somewhere else, with a different QB/team. o_O
It has no bearing, except for the one that you are attempting (unsuccessfully I might add) to pin on it today. :rolleyes:

You are still welcome to ignore both Mullen and Trask on his ability to run the ball when needed if you want to.

IMOHO - The other playmakers and the OL will more determine the number and type of QB runs, not the QB's physical or mental ability to run it when needed. :cool:

And Dan has said many times that he will adjust the offense, depending on which of the 4 QB's is in the game at any one time, so we'll see...

Last edited:
Imagine that, insta continues to form reality around whatever makes him feel better, regardless of reality.

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

Lol insta liked this post because it touts Trask.
But he thinks for some reason people like me and oozie HATE Trask, despite saying over and over again that we would be fine with him being the QB if he's the best.

Just don't make up silly reasons why he's the best.

He is a running self-prophesy lol especially when facts change.

Never need to read his posts, because they are always going to be,,, what they are, and what he will always be. This asswipe stalker arrives to spread his usual crap, and to be the lonely despised drunk loser that he is... :confused:

You're basically spam but with less flavor.

Eat dick alien boy.

See? I'm just as funny as you!

*rolls eyes*

I agree with both concepts.

I do like that Mullen is mixing it up and seeing how things go with each QB against all three groups.

Franks at TE might be interesting, but keep in mind that just because he has size, doesn’t mean he has ability.

He’s not particularly fast, and he’s a good bit lanky to be a blocker, and we haven’t a clue what kind of hands he has.

It’s going to be an interesting year, that’s for sure.

I agree. He may suck as a TE, but he's not a QB I think we can agree on that

I agree. He may suck as a TE, but he's not a QB I think we can agree on that

Indeed.

Again...we "stole him" from LSU and Les Miles when everyone thought that Les was going to be fired.

As we know, Les Miles has a great history of recruiting good QBs to LSU....

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

So now you're going to do that to everything I post, regardless if it's directed to you in any way at all?

Okay.

And I'm the one with a problem **rolls eyes**

I doubt Franks gets too much latitude there. I have the feeling it would be about like when Roper had Driskel run a few read option plays early in 2014 and he misread the DE 50% of the time. I think Roper mostly ditched it after that.

The 1st team oline got worked and there were apparently more than a handful of dropped passes. I mean guards running into each other while pulling is amateur hour stuff, that's pathetic. That's why you can't take scrimmage stats at face value.

Reactions: Gator Fever
According to unofficial media stats kept by the Gainesville Sun’s Robbie Andreu:

QB Feleipe Franks - 7 of 22, 31.4%, 127 yds, 2 TD, 3 Int, 1 fumble. 4 TO's
QB Kyle Trask was 12 of 18, 66.7%, 182 yds, 3 TD, 1 Int. 0 fumble. 1 TO

~ They rotated between the 1st and 2nd team offenses, so had equal billing.

Franks ~ Yards/Completion = 18.1 Yards ----- Yards/Attmept = 5.8 Yards
Trask ~ Yards/Completion = 15.2 Yards ----- Yards/Attmept = 10.1 Yards

Post game interviews:
Franks continues to make excuses for his poor play, with claims of getting better in the future.
Trask admits to needing more work and improvement to become an 'elite' QB, instead of bragging about how well he performed.

iG's observations, resulting in his own personal opinions:
Franks - lost and confused, like he has consistently looked to me since HS.
Trask - confident and knowledgeable, performing much like he did in HS.
My stat/fact based opinions have not changed over the last 3 years, not new.
Nobody has to be a phootball genius to see reality, just not biased-blind or prejudiced for or against anyone.... o_O

SEC Country's 2nd Opinion on Trask, by Ryan Young

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Kyle Trask has had his believers (not just iG) through his time at Florida, since he arrived as a strong-armed but raw 3-star (under-rated) prospect in 2016.

But perhaps never more so than after Friday, when he looked to be the best quarterback in the Gators’ first spring scrimmage. (Not news to me, Trask looked better than Franks when they arrived as EE Fr. And Franks only threw 1 less Int this time -3- than he did as a tFr -4-)

Franks’ presumed edge in this competition stems mostly from him being the only QB on the roster with any collegiate game experience. (the major problem with that experience, is a 4-7 season with 9 TD's to 8 Ints, plus a load of sacks) :confused:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-gators-football-kyle-trask-contender-qb-competition

Last edited:
Sounds like Mullen didnt hold back a lot at the press conference. It sounds like he was a little PC about it but basically said the offense and defense both played like crap and that is the only reason one side looked good on certain plays.

I would rather hear something like that than all the "and yets" and the joke talk of how good the O line was going to be in the upcoming season.

If you read the link on SEC Country it paints the picture that nothing on offense was good. For example, it mentions 3-4 crucial third downs where receivers dropped passes for Franks. One of Franks INT's was also a drop. By the same token Trask's 80 yard TD was a play where the corner fell leaving Grimes wide open and the 30 yard TD was on a screen pass. So 110 yards on broken plays by the defense. Same was true for Franks on another 30 yard pass...defense had a busted coverage. Which supports Mullen's point about both sides being bad. Again...That's why you can't take those unofficial stats at face value.

Reactions: GatorNation79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT