ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Sounds like Amari Burney was really playing good and that quite a few interceptions were thrown by the QBs but not sure which QBs were throwing the picks. I guess Jefferson looked pretty good also at WR and caught a long TD from Franks.

Sounds like Clayton has bulked up some (hopefully near 270) where he needs to be and Jefferson looks like he slimmed down some.

Frank's was *gasp* the best qb too. Trask played second.

Yep it appeared he got the most work with the top guys and him and Jefferson clicked pretty good. Sounds like the freshman QB got to run the ball quite a bit also. Didn't watch any video of it but it sounds like Allen was struggling with accuracy some. I think he is probably the most likely to transfer before the season starts due to Mullen's system.

About the deep RB corp, there's this:
Mullen has a preference for playing multiple backs, rather than relying on a bell cow.

"We want to rotate," Mullen said. "We're going to play a lot of guys. We're going to play fast because our expectations of the effort you have to give is maximum. I don't know if you can play 90 snaps or 80 snaps or 70 snaps at the standard we expect you to play. We're looking for guys to earn reps so that we can play at the level we expect."

"Everybody earns every carry they get out here on the field," Mullen said. "If guys earn carries, you're going to earn reps. Everything you do is earning reps. Everybody gets into 'who's starting, who's not starting?' I don't care. The most important one is who finishes. You want to see who the real people are? It's not maybe who plays the first play of the game. It's when we're in overtime, who's playing the last play of the game?"
=========

And with this line up, I (iG) again believe that the Gator's have the best and deepest RB corp in the SEC.
They obviously can't do it all by themselves, but with the rest of the offense doing their parts, I can see them rushing for over 2,000 yards as a team. HOW SWEET IT IS.... :)

For a very good write up on the Sat. practice, go here:
https://florida.rivals.com/news/instant-analysis-henderson-makes-it-two-for-two

O-Line: Some shifting around is still expected between now and Sept, but I'm liking it so far. Ht/Wt varies greatly, and they will likely change some between now and Sept.

1st Group:

LT M.Ivey 6-5 315 Sr
LG T.Jordan 6-4 310 Sr
OC T.J.McCoy 6-1 314 rsJr
RG F.Johnson 6-6 330 Sr
RT J.Taylor 6-5 334 Jr
Speed and agility on the left side, with the bacon load to run behind on the right. :D
With upperclassmen across the board. :cool:

-----
2nd Group:
LT Jean DeLance 6-5 314 rsSo
LG K.Harkless 6-4 311 rsSr
OC N.Buchanan 6-3 283 rsJr
RG T.J.Moore 6-5 305 rsFr
RT S.Forsythe 6-7 329 rsSo
-----
Others:
OT Andrew Mike 6-6 301 rsSr
OG Nick Villano 6-3 312 rsJr
OT Christopher 'Noah' Banks 6-6 315 rsJr - xfer-in
LG Brett Heggie 6-4 330 rsSo - starter - in rehab
OL Chris Bleich 6-5 330 Fr
-----
Walk Ons:
OG Tanner Rowell 6-2 298 rsSo
OG James Washington 6-1 241 rsFr (S Nick's lil' bro)

~ 12 of the 17 are experienced red shirts, plus 3 Sr's and 1 Jr.
-----
FNG Summer Arrivals: -- Both are likely red shirts imo.
??. OT Richard Gouraige 6-5 271 Fr
??. OC/OG Griffin McDowell 6-4 280 Fr (MsSt flip)

Barring injuries (please NO, for a change), the O-Line with Hevesy should be greatly improved.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Reactions: EvilWayz
Yep it appeared he got the most work with the top guys and him and Jefferson clicked pretty good. Sounds like the freshman QB got to run the ball quite a bit also. Didn't watch any video of it but it sounds like Allen was struggling with accuracy some. I think he is probably the most likely to transfer before the season starts due to Mullen's system.

Allen improved quite a bit on Saturday. I want all the QBs to get time with the 1s so they can be evaluated fairly. Same with the rest of the players. This is the spring, no need to decide on the QB until the last week of summer practices.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
We are loaded at RB. We’ll run the ball 65-70% of the time this coming year.

The fact that the coaches have ALL of the QB's specifically practicing their hand-off to ALL of the RB's, should tell us something about the QB's, RB's, Coaches, & possible Game Plan scenarios. ;)

Team Run
:

25. RB Jordan Scarlett 5-11 206 rsJr (2016 5.0 ypc)
22. RB Lamical Perine 5-11 218 Jr (4.6 ypc -short yardage & +receiver+)
20. RB Malik Davis 5-11 194 So (6.7 ypc, Fred Taylor Fr #'s before injury)
32. RB Adarius Lemons 6-0 201 So (late spark, 7.1 ypc)
Plus-Plus
29. RB Dameon Pierce 5-11 208 Fr - EE (HS 9.1 ypc, 6,779 HS Yds)
24. RB Iverson Clement 5-11 199 Fr - EE (HS 7.2 ypc, WR/KR/FS)
And both FNG's have already demonstrated their excellent ability to catch. :)

-----
13. QB-pp Feliepe' Franks 6-5 227 rsSo - EE - 2017 starter.
11. QB-pp Kyle Trask 6-5 239 rsSo - EE
12. QB-pp Jake Allen 6-3 199 rsFr - 2x FL 7-A State Champion.
14. QB-dt Emory Jones 6-2.5 195 Fr - EE
-----
09. WR Dre Massey 5-9 186 rsSr (slot-jet sweep)
17. WR Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 So (WR/QB/KR/RB - the Human Joystick)
??. WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 Fr (WR/RB Harvin type)

I'm wondering if Mullen will use the inside 'shuffle pass' to a TE, like he did before at UF?
And/Or the occasional Jump Pass to a TE in the close-in Red Zone???
-----

As to Allen, he had the best pass of the day (Sat.) hitting Grimes on a deep 65 Yard TD. (accurate, and a way bigger arm that some here have ever given him credit for)

Franks did well, especially with 2 of the WR's.

Trask had the most accurate day, while hitting 2 WR's and TE Stephens.
(and Stephens is looking really good so far)

Jones threw the ball better on Sat than the did Fri. and he can run with the RB's. He looks like he has a mixed combination of their individual skill sets.

The QB race has begun, and may the Sept depth chart work out for the best, for the Gator team's overall results... :cool:

The Gator 'fun' in the offense has just begun. And IMOHO, it's way past time to 'Let The Good Time's Roll.' :D

About the deep RB corp, there's this:
Mullen has a preference for playing multiple backs, rather than relying on a bell cow.

"We want to rotate," Mullen said. "We're going to play a lot of guys. We're going to play fast because our expectations of the effort you have to give is maximum. I don't know if you can play 90 snaps or 80 snaps or 70 snaps at the standard we expect you to play. We're looking for guys to earn reps so that we can play at the level we expect."

"Everybody earns every carry they get out here on the field," Mullen said. "If guys earn carries, you're going to earn reps. Everything you do is earning reps. Everybody gets into 'who's starting, who's not starting?' I don't care. The most important one is who finishes. You want to see who the real people are? It's not maybe who plays the first play of the game. It's when we're in overtime, who's playing the last play of the game?"
=========

And with this line up, I (iG) again believe that the Gator's have the best and deepest RB corp in the SEC.
They obviously can't do it all by themselves, but with the rest of the offense doing their parts, I can see them rushing for over 2,000 yards as a team. HOW SWEET IT IS.... :)

For a very good write up on the Sat. practice, go here:
https://florida.rivals.com/news/instant-analysis-henderson-makes-it-two-for-two

He might say that but if there isn't a Percy Harvin the QB and top RB get the vast majority of carries in his offense I think.

He might say that but if there isn't a Percy Harvin the QB and top RB get the vast majority of carries in his offense I think.

You may say that, but neither you, nor I, nor the media for that matter, KNOWS how the coming season will unfold. :confused:

However, I'm guessing that 'HE' knows a whole lot more about what 'HE' is going to do,,, than any of us do... :cool:

Why does iG always try to post things about the Gator WO's?
Remember walk-on LB Cristian Garcia? Some great Natl. pub from him.

A walk-on 'Legacy' is voted to the 8 man Gator Leadership Council???

"I'm actually a fifth generation in a row, so my great-great grandpa, my great grandpa, my grandpa, my dad and myself all in a row." TE/LB/FB R.J. Raymond. -- A perfect example of what 'putting the work in' means....

http://floridagators.com/news/2018/3/19/scott-carter-raymond-couldnt-pass-up-final-season.asp

Last edited:
You may say that, but neither you, nor I, nor the media for that matter, KNOWS how the coming season will unfold. :confused:

However, I'm guessing that 'HE' knows a whole lot more about what 'HE' is going to do,,, than any of us do... :cool:

I think the past predicts the future pretty good sometimes and we don't have a Harvin on our roster. I could see Davis taking over as the top RB during the season however as he is definitely more talented than Scarlett based on last season. Not sure how Scarlett and Perine will play out early.

Allen will be the 4th QB if he stays and they aren't determined to RS Jones. I have a feeling he transfers unless he is content to just ride the bench for the next few years.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions.
Just as long as you remember that you are just stating your own opinions, not confirmed facts. o_O

And anyone can make a prediction, just as long as they don't claim or think that they are giving rock solid prophesy... :cool:
=======

iG on the 2018 QB's, with some stuff from some others thrown in: ;)

The job still looks wide open to me (iG), which is a good thing at this point.

Fastest Runner - Emory Jones
Strongest Runner - Kyle Trask
Best On Reads / Smartest - Too early yet to tell.
Most Accurate/Consistent Passer - Kyle Trask
Strongest Arm - Feleipe Franks (maybe by a little bit)
All 4 can throw it 60+ yards, so who can throw it 70+ yards might only matter once or twice a season on a hail-Mary.
From what I've seen so far, they DON'T need any xfer QB's to waste more time.
I think that any of the 4 on roster could do as well or better than any xfer could.
(iG's opinions)

From a media practice report:
~ Jake Allen rsFr took the majority of the 3rd reps at QB, with Emory Jones tFr going 4th today. Jones had previously been repping ahead of Allen. o_O

~ Trask was the sharpest QB on Saturday, including on sprint-out throws. That's noteworthy, because Mullen's system often has the QB throwing on the run.

~~ Mullen said. “You can put some more things in. You can do things, you can do it around their (all 4's) ability to throw the ball. Accuracy, though, is the most important thing. I’d rather take a very, very accurate QB over a guy that throws it 80, 70-80 yards and just explaining that to them and understanding that. o_O

>>> Apparently Dan sees what I've (iG) been seeing all along.
“He’s got a live arm. Throws the ball really well. He’s got arm talent. Obviously his height helps just to be able to see. You have him (Trask) and you have Feleipe, they’re 2 tall guys, so they can stand in the pocket and still see everything. You don’t have to create a lot of throwing lanes, they can throw over people and create lanes,”
Mullen said of Trask. “And watching him, I think he’s bought into what we want to do. … The running aspect of the QB in our offense, I just want you to be a willing runner. If the defense gives you the opportunity to run, go run and go do it. He’s shown a decent bit of athleticism to be able to run the ball too as well.”

Some excellent practice film clips to watch here:
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-drill-qbs-and-rbs-go-through-individual-work

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-17049%2C_Joseph_Goebbels_spricht.jpg
Just as long as you remember that you are just stating your own opinions, not confirmed facts. o_O

And anyone can make a prediction, just as long as they don't claim or think that they are giving rock solid prophesy... :cool:
=======

All 4 can throw it 60+ yards, so who can throw it 70+ yards might only matter once or twice a season on a hail-Mary.
I think that any of the 4 on roster could do as well or better than any xfer could.
(iG's opinions)

~ Jake Allen rsFr took the majority of the 3rd reps at QB, with Emory Jones tFr going 4th today. Jones had previously been repping ahead of Allen. o_O

~ Trask was the sharpest QB on Saturday, including on sprint-out throws. That's noteworthy, because Mullen's system often has the QB throwing on the run.

~~ Mullen said. “You can put some more things in. You can do things, you can do it around their (all 4's) ability to throw the ball. Accuracy, though, is the most important thing. I’d rather take a very, very accurate QB over a guy that throws it 80, 70-80 yards and just explaining that to them and understanding that. o_O

“He’s got a live arm. Throws the ball really well. He’s got arm talent. Obviously his height helps just to be able to see. You have him (Trask) and you have Feleipe, they’re 2 tall guys, so they can stand in the pocket and still see everything. You don’t have to create a lot of throwing lanes, they can throw over people and create lanes,”
Mullen said of Trask. “And watching him, I think he’s bought into what we want to do. … The running aspect of the QB in our offense, I just want you to be a willing runner. If the defense gives you the opportunity to run, go run and go do it. He’s shown a decent bit of athleticism to be able to run the ball too as well.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-drill-qbs-and-rbs-go-through-individual-work

bagdad-bob.gif

Reactions: kellylexy
Ignored by me, but loved on by those in his 'handy' circle... :rolleyes:

There once was a goater named dunny,
who was always trying to be funny.
But with his head up his butt,
and a load of beer in his gutt,
when it came to the girls he got nunny...

The 3 main 'on the field' leaders on the D so far:

FS/Nic/CB Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
ILB David Reese
OLB/DE CeCe Jefferson
-----
SS/OLB Amari Burney EE could become a part of this LB corp...or the secondary. It’s yet to be seen because Burney fits right into Grantham’s rotational mindset.

“He’s an athletic guy that really can play safety or linebacker. You know, he had a couple picks in the 1st practice. He’s a guy that I think can play either SS or OLB. We played him at SS to start with based upon our need...we’re gonna continue to develop him there and see how it unfolds and kind of go from there, but I’m certainly glad he’s a part of our program.”

And as Grantham explains, a lot of these position pairings are subject to the arrival of more 2018 recruits this summer. Things could change again, but that’s the mark of this defense, 'change.'

https://florida.rivals.com/news/gra...ith-building-a-rotation-than-he-is-the-scheme

Grantham’s defense has earned him recognition across the country as the captain of one of the stingiest units in college football. It comes not from forcing a complex playbook on his athletes, but instead installing habits before schemes.
==================

Who, did then WR's coach (BillyG 2005-09), help recruit and coach at UF? (stars)
~ Already on the 2005 roster: Kenneth Tookes, Andre Caldwell, Jemalle Crornlius, Chad Jackson

FNG's that were brought in:

2005 - David Nelson (4) - Nyan Boateng (4) - Louis Murphy (3)

2006 - Percy Harvin (5) - Riley Cooper (4) - Justin Williams (4) Brandon James (3)

2007 - Deonte Thompson (4) - Paul Wilson (3)

2008 - Carl Moore (5) -T.J. Lawrence (4) - Frankie Hammond (4) - Omarius Hines (4)

2009 - Andre Debose (5) - Stephen Alli (3)

While Gonzales isn’t trying to duplicate their past play, he is looking for the attitude. It’s the attitude that is missing from those who are returning from the 2017 squad and what he is now looking to establish in his guys. The returning WR's put up 4 TD's in 2017. In 2008-09, the last time BillyG was here, the WR's put up 39 TD's.
HOLY SCHITE SCAT-MAN!!! :eek:

Those getting it done early are: J.Hammond, F.Swain, K.Toney, and xfer in V.Jefferson. But all of them are making progress with the training/coaching that they are getting now. ;)

Going against the Gator receivers will polish the excellent Gator DB's.
Going against the Gator DB's & LB's will strengthen and polish the receivers.
Everybody graded, every day. No feel goods or fair haired favorite boys to get any unearned playing time. Talk about your win-win situation... :)

Great stuff on Mullen's use of team leadership.
https://florida.rivals.com/news/teamwork-players-are-becoming-accountable-to-one-another

=======

(iG's opinions)

I am not 100% convinced this job is Franks for sure if Jones isn't ready as a true freshman.

Mullen has been complementary of both Franks and Trask thus far. He has said that he values accuracy most in a QB. Not running ability. Not arm strength. But accuracy.

Interesting.

Mullen has been complementary of both Franks and Trask thus far. He has said that he values accuracy most in a QB. Not running ability. Not arm strength. But accuracy.

Interesting.

Yep and also made a point of saying throwing the ball a long ways is not as important as being accurate on the shorter stuff. It sounds like Jones is struggling with his mechanics a little. It will probably be the camp prior to the season where he makes a big improvement. I doubt Jones is the 2nd string QB in the spring game.

But it’s true.

And why put me on ignore of you just constantly look at what I post?

This whiny little loser bass-tad has stunk up more threads with his moronic chit, than everyone else on this board combined. I wonder (not really) what he's chittin in his pants about this time.
(and no, please don't anyone else tell me)

The last time Franks played: (UF rsFr)
54.6% - 9 TD's - 8 Ints

The last time that Trask played (HS Sr)
73.3% - 17 TD's - 0 Ints

Both are EE's that will enter their 3rd seasons as rsSo's.
================

Jake Allen rsFr - HS Sr
60.9 % - 27 TD's - 7 Ints

Emory Jones Fr - HS Sr (maxpreps varsity totals)
37% - 1 TD - 0 Ints
Rushing - 9 for -27 yds, -3 ypc - 0 TD's - 1 LPF
WTF ????

"How Jones continues to progress will be the key to whether he can challenge rsSo's Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask, or rsFr Jake Allen for playing time this coming season. Following the team’s 3rd of 15 spring practices, Hevesy said beginning next week coaches will get a better read on what UF’s QB's really can handle."

“The first 5 days is kind of hectic for everyone,” said Hevesy, the Co-OC who also coaches the team’s OL. “Practices 7 through 15 is really where you start watching what does each kid process. Can they process the information given to them, the fundamentals, the technique and all that stuff?”

What the heck are you using for Jones numbers. Heck Franks threw an interception every few passes in that all star stuff and in his first spring game.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-from-florida-gators-spring-practice-saturday

That said, Franks did throw the only interception during team drills, uncorking an ill-fated short pass right to cornerback Marco Wilson for a pick-6.

It was reminiscent of some of the questionable decisions Franks made as a rookie starter last fall. But he is the only quarterback on the roster with college experience, and that gives him an advantage on the others.....
  • The offensive line remains a concern. Florida offensive line coach John Hevesy could not contain his frustration with the unit Saturday during team drills. During one sequence in first team vs. first team, Franks took a sack, got off a quick completion to Swain under pressure and then took another sack (or whistle as a defender closed in on him). Hevesy yelled, “I’m tired of sacks. Pay attention!” Among other things.
  • The first-team offensive line continues to be Martez Ivey at left tackle, Tyler Jordan at left guard, T.J. McCoy at center, Fred Johnson at right guard and Jawaan Taylor at right tackle. Brett Heggie, the starting left guard last season, is out because of a season-ending knee injury.

What the heck are you using for Jones numbers. Heck Franks threw an interception every few passes in that all star stuff and in his first spring game.

Emory Jones Fr - HS Sr (maxpreps varsity totals)
37% - 1 TD - 0 Ints
Rushing - 9 for -27 yds, -3 ypc - 0 TD's - 1 LPF
WTF ???? (why do you suppose I asked WTF????) o_O

But here, go see for yourself.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/emory-jones/sD_xfFWtEea-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm

And if you have HS stats for him, then post them. :cool:

My take on this article: https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-from-florida-gators-spring-practice-saturday

The key to Mullen QB'ing:
Be accurate on throws, and don't turn the ball over.
#1 Franks had the only Int in Saturdays practice, uncorking an ill-fated short pass right to CB Marco Wilson for another Pick-6. It was reminiscent of some of the questionable decisions Franks made as a rookie starter last fall, (2017 - 9 TD's, 8 Ints). He also had some pretty good throws, but his inconsistency and just plain terrible decisions and throws still plague him.

It seems to me, that in an attempt to make up for his continued inadequacies as a field general QB, that Franks is trying to get the job with the superlatives, like cheer-leading, signing autographs, being early for practice and meetings, etc. While all of that is nice and it's certainly good for the team, the #1 requirement is being the best QB on the field, ON GAME DAYS! (IMO, Scarlett is doing some of the same kinds of stuff in his attempt to get back)

Current #2 Trask had some very nice downfield passes and he looks like Frank's only true competition at this moment. While #3 Allen 6-3 199 and #4 Jones 6-2 192 are both making steady progress, with Jones' passing becoming a bit more consistent.

With the OL still trying to come together, a QB that throws well while running for his life is probably needed.... Just being honest here, I still have little faith in LG T.Jordan (LG Heggie in rehab) or in RG/RT F.Johnson. By Sept, I'm hoping that LG Heggie is back, and that one of the 2nd teamers can take over the RG spot. I'm not convinced that either Taylor or Johnson will ever be more than backup quality, (but hoping I'm wrong). :cool:

Much as I (iG) expected, newcomer Emory Jones looks very much like a freshman going through his 1st spring practice at the college level, and a 3rd of the way through Spring he continues to rep behind rsFr Jake Allen. With true dual threat Jones taking snaps now, Ath Toney 5-11 194 will remain at WR to continue his development there. I think that will be best for both Jones and Toney in the long run.

Just another long range W-a-G on my part here, on the RB depth chart come Sept.
1. D.Pierce 5-10 207 Fr
2. M.Daivs 5-11 194 So
3. L.Perine 5-11 218 Jr
4. J.Scarlett 5-11 206 rsJr
5. I.Clement 5-11 193 Fr - ST's PR
6. A.Lemons 6-0 201 So - ST's KO-R
~ I'd like to see Clement returning punts, and Lemons returning KO's, with both as speed gunners on the kick cover teams.

That's nothing more than my own off season chatter, after reading from several different sources. It's just my own opinions and W-a-G predictions, not claimed as facts or prophecy... ;)

Looks like the O line is struggling again. We may have the most seasoned but ineffective O line in the whole country if they don't get it corrected. Sounds like Franks is still lost at times also.

I just think Franks is Franks and always will be.

I’m really thinking it’ll be Trask unless Jones turns it on enough and adjusts before the season starts (which I think he very well may).

You can probably get away with running a “safe” version of Mullen’s offense with Trask as a place holder until Jones is ready.

Franks just has too many questions and certainly an ongoing history of poor decisions.

I guess Allen could surprise us all, but I’m. It counting on it.

I just think Franks is Franks and always will be.

I’m really thinking it’ll be Trask unless Jones turns it on enough and adjusts before the season starts (which I think he very well may).

You can probably get away with running a “safe” version of Mullen’s offense with Trask as a place holder until Jones is ready.

Franks just has too many questions and certainly an ongoing history of poor decisions.

I guess Allen could surprise us all, but I’m. It counting on it.

Mostly agree. I think Franks probably gets the start early and then gets yanked possibly. I am not sure Franks is that durable either. I seem to remember him getting up gingerly at times last year and in this offense you wont last long if you are a little injury prone.

Martez Ivey needs to be a guard. Unfortunately we still don’t have anybody that can outplay him at the tackle position.

Martez Ivey needs to be a guard. Unfortunately we still don’t have anybody that can outplay him at the tackle position.

Yep Ivey gets confused at Tackle at times. He is pretty good when he knows his responsibility and doesn't mess it up. He will be one of those guys that all at once gets it in the Pros probably. Johnson has a lot of trouble at times also. Taylor has trouble with the speed rushers.

The offense will be bad again. In theory we should have a beast running game but I got not faith in that oline.

To be fair, we’re only like 5 practices in right now.

Not even about the practices, I expect them to be struggling now. Defense is always ahead of the offense now because they can play downhill. Throw in going against a new defense and they should struggle even more.

BUT the issue is we still don't have legitimate tackles. Both Ivey and Taylor are guards pretending to be tackles. McCoy is too small at center and can't pass protect. And Johnson is finesse and should be a tackle but has slow feet so they put him at guard where he gets blown up repeatedly. We have mismatch pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT