ADVERTISEMENT

Spike Lee and ESPN present

Some of the greatest scripts are adapted from source material. Godfather, Jaws, Lawrence of Arabia just to name a few.
Okay, but those Directors are some of the greatest of all time. Are you saying his work is anywhere in that stratosphere? lol

Okay, but those Directors are some of the greatest of all time. Are you saying his work is anywhere in that stratosphere? lol
He has more nominations/wins than Francis Ford Coppola and more wins than David Lean. So if you are using that then they are in the same rarified air. 3 Oscar wins if you include his lifetime achievement. To denounce him as not a major director is very silly.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
He has more nominations/wins than Francis Ford Coppola and more wins than David Lean. So if you are using that then they are in the same rarified air. 3 Oscar wins if you include his lifetime achievement. To denounce him as not a major director is very silly.
Yeah, I don't include participation trophies like lifetime achievement Oscars. What film has he ever directed that actually made a bunch of money at the box office? No one goes to his movies, they're crap. School Daze, Summer of Sam. Awful.

Yeah, I don't include participation trophies like lifetime achievement Oscars. What film has he ever directed that actually made a bunch of money at the box office? No one goes to his movies, they're crap. School Daze, Summer of Sam. Awful.
If Box Office is the end all be all than Michael Bay and Marvel directors are at the top. You keep changing the goal post and to mention his movies and leave out Do The Right Thing, Malcolm X, Black Klansman, 25th Hour, and Inside Man is very disingenuous. I don't care for the work of Brian De Palma but I would never say he isn't a major director.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
If Box Office is the end all be all than Michael Bay and Marvel directors are at the top. You keep changing the goal post and to mention his movies and leave out Do The Right Thing, Malcolm X, Black Klansman, 25th Hour, and Inside Man is very disingenuous. I don't care for the work of Brian De Palma but I would never say he isn't a major director.
Like I said, all crap.

NeitheThose are better than anything Spike ever directed. lol
But Spike Lee has had 3 films on AFI's top 100 list while neither of those films are listed. And by your own marker of box office. 9 Spike Lee films have out grossed police academy? Not sure what you are judging this besides skin color at this point.

But Spike Lee has had 3 films on AFI's top 100 list while neither of those films are listed. And by your own marker of box office. 9 Spike Lee films have out grossed police academy? Not sure what you are judging this besides skin color at this point.
I was being cynical. Quit being so defensive. Spike Lee is a hack. You promote him as though he's Clint Eastwood or Stephen Spielberg.

Spike Lee is an unrepentant racist and most of his films reflect that.

Do The Right Thing.

Italian guy doesn't want to put pictures of famous black people up in HIS pizzeria. So they harass him and burn his store down. Spike truly believes that Sal is the bad guy. The disconnect from reality is unreal.

You're seriously comparing him to COPPOLA?

C'mon, man.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
I guess all the Colon Krap lovers gave up defending the POS garbage quarterback he truly was and still is
So easily distracted in shiny objects and diversions. Oh look, a squirrel! And in other breaking news, reality star Kim Kardashian is worth a billion dollars too. Sad what "entertainment" has become.

steve-carrell-the-office.gif

I was being cynical. Quit being so defensive. Spike Lee is a hack. You promote him as though he's Clint Eastwood or Stephen Spielberg.
How is he not on their level when Do The Right Thing is higher on AFI list than any Eastwood film. Spike Lee made four amazing films. Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, 25th Hour, and Inside Man. If you can't recognize that, there clearly is a bias.

The most recent AFI list has Eastwood's Unforgiven at number 68, and Lee's Do The Right Thing at number 96. You want to try that again?

Reactions: gatordad3
The most recent AFI list has Eastwood's Unforgiven at number 68, and Lee's Do The Right Thing at number 96. You want to try that again?
The hundred year list is not the most recent. But the original. Nice try though.

So easily distracted in shiny objects and diversions. Oh look, a squirrel! And in other breaking news, reality star Kim Kardashian is worth a billion dollars too. Sad what "entertainment" has become.

steve-carrell-the-office.gif
Like a fat catfish laying on the bottom waiting for something to choke down.

Reactions: NavigatorII
And yet again, I thought he was dead. So, yes….he would really be missed.

Horseshit. Nominations don't count. Coppola has 11 academy awards, 12 if you count best musical score for Apocalypse Now, which I don't because he didn't write the score.

Spike Lee has 2, 3 if you count his honorary academy award, which I don't because it's a participation trophy.

Yes. It’s the race card. Love it.

• Haha
Produce this list. I just looked at 100 most inspiring films, 100 years tenth anniversary and top ten of ten. Do the right thing is number 96 on the 100 years tenth anniversary list and nowhere to be found on the other two.

i was in NY the summer they started and would frequently run into the VJs at night at the clubs. They were a cool and thankful bunch, except for arrogant pixie Martha Quinn, who had a laughably inflated opinion of herself ...
I remember when I graduated from college, rented my first digs, my cable company had MTV in the lineup. Unless it was the weekend and sports were on, my channel selector stayed on MTV. My how the mighty have fallen.:( Not sure if it a chicken or egg thing, did MTV leave the music genre or did good music just cease to exist? I think it's a legitimate question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT