ADVERTISEMENT

Someone tried to kill Trump at rally...

So a convicted felon, who was caught with weapons of mass destruction previously (and got off with probation), somehow:
1) Knew of Trump's last second plan to play golf, and at which course
2) Was able to get an assault rifle
3) And he lives in HI..but somehow secured the weapon and vehicle in FL

I know @kalimgoodman - something needs to be done about these terrible 'conspiracy theorists'!

So we should never make any new laws because people will break them?
How laws work:

For you:

Murder is illegal. I have no plans to murder anyone but if someone murders someone and I see it, if i call the authorities, the police will investigate and hopefully the person who did it will be convicted of murder and punished for it.

This is called an incentive.

Me: I'd like to kill Theo but it's not worth the prison time and I'll probably get caught and I don't want to go to prison, so the Theo lives!

This is called a deterrent.

Danny Rolling: I'd like to murder a bunch of girls and i don't care what the law says or what the punishment is.

This is why laws don't stop criminals.

How laws work:

For you:

Murder is illegal. I have no plans to murder anyone but if someone murders someone and I see it, if i call the authorities, the police will investigate and hopefully the person who did it will be convicted of murder and punished for it.

This is called an incentive.

Me: I'd like to kill Theo but it's not worth the prison time and I'll probably get caught and I don't want to go to prison, so the Theo lives!

This is called a deterrent.

Danny Rolling: I'd like to murder a bunch of girls and i don't care what the law says or what the punishment is.

This is why laws don't stop criminals.
I understand how laws work but, every now and then, a gun nut will say we don't need laws because some people will break them.

You seem to understand the incentive and deterrent part too but you need to be explaining it to the gun nuts.....not to me.

Exactly the nuanced answer I expected 🤣
I really do understand where you're coming from.

You fully understand that laws are needed and have to be tweaked to handle the environment of the day.

You just don't like gun laws and you try to customize your 'logic' to criticize any laws restricting guns.

Like you have one logic for guns and another logic for everything else.

I really do understand where you're coming from.

You fully understand that laws are needed and have to be tweaked to handle the environment of the day.

You just don't like gun laws and you try to customize your 'logic' to criticize any laws restricting guns.

Like you have one logic for guns and another logic for everything else.
No, I feel the same way about free speech as a I do guns.

If it protects Freedom and Liberty, it should remain unchecked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Ron 1
GXnL1HmWoAA-0Vq

• Angry
Reactions: nail1988
I understand how laws work but, every now and then, a gun nut will say we don't need laws because some people will break them.

You seem to understand the incentive and deterrent part too but you need to be explaining it to the gun nuts.....not to me.
Do you though? The fact of the matter is the law isn't the deterrent, th^ punishment is.

Which means if I wake up one morning with a terminal illness and life in prison is no longer off the table, in that scenario you're disco.

Laws aimed at criminals general don't work at all or have unintended consequences.

At the end of the day, mass punishment of innocent people is contrary to American ideals values and culture.

Do you though? The fact of the matter is the law isn't the deterrent, th^ punishment is.

Which means if I wake up one morning with a terminal illness and life in prison is no longer off the table, in that scenario you're disco.

Laws aimed at criminals general don't work at all or have unintended consequences.

At the end of the day, mass punishment of innocent people is contrary to American ideals values and culture.
Put your thoughts on guns aside for a moment and let's focus on common sense.

Of course for laws to be effective there has to be a punishment.

What laws aren't 'aimed at' the people who would be inclined to break them? Speeding laws aren't aimed at little old ladies.

All laws 'punish' people who choose to obey them. You have to drive the speed limit and pay your taxes even if you don't want to.

Put your thoughts on guns aside for a moment and let's focus on common sense.

Of course for laws to be effective there has to be a punishment.

What laws aren't 'aimed at' the people who would be inclined to break them? Speeding laws aren't aimed at little old ladies.

All laws 'punish' people who choose to obey them. You have to drive the speed limit and pay your taxes even if you don't want to.
If you lower the speed limit to the point that it takes me twice as long to get somewhere, that is a mass punishment.

When they instituted 10 20 life in Florida, criminals who would have normally surrendered and taken their chances with th^ courts started shooting their way out of the same situation. In for a penny, in for a pound so if you're going to get life for one murder why not a dozen?

After all you can only die once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT