ADVERTISEMENT

So, ummm that new staff recruiting bump that always happens...

That's what happens when you hire an unproven coach after letting the previous unproven coach fix the program after turning us into the worst offensive, and overall most underachieving football team in America.

But I'm sure mcelwain and staff will work out great because Foley really likes them, and they're doing a tremendous job of out recruiting FAU. Maybe one day theyll win us the SunBelt.

That's what happens when you hire an unproven coach after letting the previous unproven coach fix the program after turning us into the worst offensive, and overall most underachieving football team in America.

But I'm sure mcelwain and staff will work out great because Foley really likes them, and they're doing a tremendous job of out recruiting FAU. Maybe one day theyll win us the SunBelt.

What an optimist. I agree that Muschamp was an unproven head coach. I can't agree that the same conclusion applies to McElwain. I'm ready and willing to give our new head coach time to build the program his way. If this years team shows visible improvements the ramifications on recruiting will be dramatic.

as much as some of you hate Foley and wish he was dead basically, he made a really good hire especially considering the circumstances this time around... as much as you don't want to hear that, we hired a guy that can recruit the state and hired an outstanding staff that can do the same... He pulled an overnight MIRACLE for our signing class yet, everyone is giving him hell already without coaching a game.. Which means, you really didn't understand that short term miracle he and staff pulled of in February fully yet..

As for Miami, I wouldn't worry about their recruiting lol. They are a dead dog in the woods and it will get worse soon, much worse than our situation has been.

11113818_10203093148609730_5643105584408395439_n.jpg

They are recruiting like our last staff on the LOS

I have faith in McElwain from an X and O standpoint. And the class he pulled with what, 2 weeks was a miracle. Legit outstanding. But, so far, we're not stacking up with the people we're recruiting against. Like Michi said, we have one commit ranked in the top 75 in the state. Depending on which sites you use, we have one in the top 85 or so. Forget stars, that just ain't good enough. And like I mentioned above, that McWilliams cat weighed in at like 160 at a camp and ran a 4.9, is that really an SEC caliber athlete? I don't think any of us should be concerned yet, we should do ok if we can get 8-9 wins. But some of our takes have for sure been questionable.

as much as some of you hate Foley and wish he was dead basically, he made a really good hire especially considering the circumstances this time around... as much as you don't want to hear that, we hired a guy that can recruit the state and hired an outstanding staff that can do the same... He pulled an overnight MIRACLE for our signing class yet, everyone is giving him hell already without coaching a game.. Which means, you really didn't understand that short term miracle he and staff pulled of in February fully yet..

As for Miami, I wouldn't worry about their recruiting lol. They are a dead dog in the woods and it will get worse soon, much worse than our situation has been.

11113818_10203093148609730_5643105584408395439_n.jpg

They are recruiting like our last staff on the LOS

Now, had Foley properly done his job and let Champ go after the GaSouthern debacle we wouldnhave landed the top class in the nation in 2015 and wouldn't have needed the 'Miracle' last year. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Foley set UF football back 5 years by retaining champ for 2014, it really IS that simple

Last edited:
And I'm not so sure we hired an outstanding staff, that has yet to be seen. Nussmeier was a very suspect addition, as he was likely run out by Saban and was essentially dumped by Michigan. The guy doesn't exactly have a history of success.

Shannon on paper seems like a good hire, but the least time we hired a former head coach as a position coach it worked out horribly. Joker Phillips was lazy and got busted for recruiting violations. Weis took the first train out of town as soon as he could. Given Shannon's UM history, the beef with Urban, and the rating and offer list from the recruits he's bringing in, I'm starting to wonder if he still has an ax to grind against us. Miami guys do NOT like UF at all, and Shannon has a lot of reason to as well.

The only thing this staff has proven on the recruiting trail is that they can out recruit FAU, USF, etc. So I'm not too optimistic that they'll ever be able to recruit at a high level.

The only positive I see from our staff changes, outside of Muschamp, is that strength coach we had that looked like uncle fester is gone. That I am happy with. The rest...

Hopefully randy shannon doesn't tell our players to lose on purpose

I have faith in McElwain from an X and O standpoint. And the class he pulled with what, 2 weeks was a miracle. Legit outstanding. But, so far, we're not stacking up with the people we're recruiting against. Like Michi said, we have one commit ranked in the top 75 in the state. Depending on which sites you use, we have one in the top 85 or so. Forget stars, that just ain't good enough. And like I mentioned above, that McWilliams cat weighed in at like 160 at a camp and ran a 4.9, is that really an SEC caliber athlete? I don't think any of us should be concerned yet, we should do ok if we can get 8-9 wins. But some of our takes have for sure been questionable.

To you, Paco, or whoever might know....last year UF had three 5 star guys who were heavy gator leans during most, if not all, of their time prior to signing their LOI(two stuck with one going elsewhere at the end). Does UF have a similar player or two or three, etc this year? It does not seem to be the case so it may be more difficult for CJM to pull in a decent haul without showing what his team can first accomplish on the field. I think there will be some serious interest if the offense can show promise this season and the team can get north of 8.5 wins. A 9-3 or better season will go a long way in convincing some upper level playmakers that this new offense can get them the ball.

To you, Paco, or whoever might know....last year UF had three 5 star guys who were heavy gator leans during most, if not all, of their time prior to signing their LOI(two stuck with one going elsewhere at the end). Does UF have a similar player or two or three, etc this year? It does not seem to be the case so it may be more difficult for CJM to pull in a decent haul without showing what his team can first accomplish on the field. I think there will be some serious interest if the offense can show promise this season and the team can get north of 8.5 wins. A 9-3 or better season will go a long way in convincing some upper level playmakers that this new offense can get them the ball.

No, not really. Many knew for years that the 2015 class could be HUGE for the Gators. Coach Mac did a great job salvaging what he could. However, basically there was one year we could NOT have a coaching change, and we changed

Last edited:
No, not really. Many knew for years that the 2015 class could be HUGE for the Gators. Coach Mac did a great job salvaging what he could. However, basically there was one year we could NOT have a coaching change, and we changed
Even had Muschamp been retained for another season, I'm skeptical that the 2015 class would have ended up that much better. Some recruits would have gone elsewhere given the ongoing uncertainty that would have come with keeping Muschamp as coach but one clearly on a very hot seat.

Even had Muschamp been retained for another season, I'm skeptical that the 2015 class would have ended up that much better. Some recruits would have gone elsewhere given the ongoing uncertainty that would have come with keeping Muschamp as coach but one clearly on a very hot seat.

Maybe a change after 2013?

What Michi said. James Franklin would have pulled in a great 2015 class and we'd be 5 years ahead of where we are now. But Foley decided he'd rather have Will Muschamp than the guy that stomped Will Muschamp with Vanderbilt

Reactions: Deathroll
Maybe a change after 2013?
The Georgia Southern loss with 0 yards passing pretty much did it for me. Instead the powers that be decided to stick with him and then, among other things, we get treated with a SECOND loss while giving up less than 125 yards of total offense. Plus snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against LSU and Carolina. SMH.

Muschamp unquestionably deserved to be fired after 4-8. Honestly, for as much success as the rest of the athletic department has had, a 4-8 football team at UF probably should get the AD fired. I like the McElwain hire though, and hopefully he can finally clean up this mess.

Foley was too gung-ho to prove what a great hire he made to fire Muschamp in 13. He didnt do the right thing because he saw an opportunity to prove himself smarter than everybody else. He should have been axed with Muschamp, the guy put his ego ahead of what was right for the football program and he should have paid for it.

I don't like the McElwain hire mainly because of the guy that hired him.

Well, he's outsmarted himself a couple times with the football hires, but that doesn't mean he can't hire a good coach. Outside of football, UF has probably had the best collection of coaches in the country, although that took a little hit obviously with Billy D's departure.

Well, he's outsmarted himself a couple times with the football hires, but that doesn't mean he can't hire a good coach. Outside of football, UF has probably had the best collection of coaches in the country, although that took a little hit obviously with Billy D's departure.
Still hard to believe Billy D won't be on the court next season.:(

At the end of the day I do not think Coach Mac will be the next big winner at UF. However, I do yhink everyone has to admit that having plan Bs and filling the roster showed he is light years ahead of Champ. Although most defended Champs very incomplete first class at the time.

Question is who benefited more.
Foley from being the ad at uf or Uf from having foley as its ad?

We just landed the 95th best receiver in the nation. I guess our recruiting strategy is to only target players that the big schools aren't interested in. Sadly, at this point, that's probably the best course of action

Brady hoke had HC experience too
Not sure what Hoke has to do with current or former UF head coaches?

Recent UF history:

Muschamp - no prior experience - no championships
Meyer - prior experience - 2 SEC, 2 NC
Zook - no prior exp - no champs
Spurrier - prior exp - 6 SEC, 1 NC

Reactions: GatorGray
Foley was too gung-ho to prove what a great hire he made to fire Muschamp in 13. He didnt do the right thing because he saw an opportunity to prove himself smarter than everybody else. He should have been axed with Muschamp, the guy put his ego ahead of what was right for the football program and he should have paid for it.

I don't like the McElwain hire mainly because of the guy that hired him.

Fire Foley? You really just have to laugh at some of the utter nonsense you read here sometimes.

We just landed the 95th best receiver in the nation. I guess our recruiting strategy is to only target players that the big schools aren't interested in. Sadly, at this point, that's probably the best course of action

it's frankies brother, it's obvious.

Not sure anyone has suggeated firing Foley, though I will certainly celebrate his retirement.

I think the point is that for as good as he is at the non -revenue sports, he is a below average football AD. He has significantly mismanaged the flagship program, and honestly, that fact is not debateable.

it's frankies brother, it's obvious.
Who also happens to be currently ranked #85 overall in ESPNs Top 300. Clear disconnect between ESNP and Rivals so time will tell who was more accurate in their current assessment.

Not sure anyone has suggeated firing Foley, though I will certainly celebrate his retirement.

I think the point is that for as good as he is at the non -revenue sports, he is a below average football AD. He has significantly mismanaged the flagship program, and honestly, that fact is not debateable.
I see you have established a non debatable fact. After all we only won 3 National Championships during Foley's tenure. How many did we win under prior Athletic Directors? Just asking. Once Foley leaves we can get this program back to where it was before his arrival....right????

Reactions: Ear-Holed
To the extent you people are posting in this thread complaining about recruiting...you really need to stop. You are embarrassing yourselves and showing how little you actually know about it. Our class has now cracked the top ten and it will only go higher as the recruiting ranking services catch up to what the coaching staff has figured out. I appreciate there's not much to do in Michigan right now, but friendly advice: read more, post less. You'll thank me.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
To the extent you people are posting in this thread complaining about recruiting...you really need to stop. You are embarrassing yourselves and showing how little you actually know about it. Our class has now cracked the top ten and it will only go higher as the recruiting ranking services catch up to what the coaching staff has figured out. I appreciate there's not much to do in Michigan right now, but friendly advice: read more, post less. You'll thank me.

As an ardent Muschamp supporter you have little credability. Secondly, the class is in the top 10 based on #, not quality of the recruits. I have no complaints other than we need to be in it for the top 50 kids in FLORIDA, and really, we aren't. Our roster will be balanced soon, which is quite a feat considering what your boy did to it.

Foley didn't hire Spurrier so not sure he should get credit for that NC.

Look no one is saying Foley should be fired.
I just am not sure he gets allot of credit for things that are because he is the ad at uf and not because he is so much better than other ads

Last edited:
And the only reason Foley was able to bring in urban is because of his failed Zook hire, and Bernie machen's previous ties to urban. So really he should get 0 credit for any football titles.

Last edited:
And the only reason Foley was able to bring in urban is because of his failed Zook hire, and Bernie machen's previous ties to urban. So really he should get 0 credit for any football titles.
Many of you don't want to give Jeremy any credit. To hear some of you good things happened on his watch simply by serendipity. Ultimately the reason is far less important than the result. Almost every Florida head coach after bringing another trophy to Gainesville mentions Jeremy Foley. It can't be an accident because it happens over and over and over again. Jeremy set the bar. Anyone who follows him will have a very difficult time measuring up. Keeping it real.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT