ADVERTISEMENT

So, ummm that new staff recruiting bump that always happens...

BringBackBonner

Bull Gator
Apr 10, 2006
... what the F is going on?

Why are we tied for the lowest average recruit ranking in the SEC? I am officially concerned.

The first full class for a staff is the easiest to sell and is almost always very good for any above average coach.

You are going to get nailed with "Its June, chill out."

But, FSU, OSU, Auburn and Miami are killing us in-state.

I fear we are caught in a VERY viscious cycle that may eventually require a Saban or Meyer type to fix down the road.

We did just pick up a RB commitment from Alabama whom the Tide and Mississippi State were after hard.

The two JUCO commitments have not yet been ranked. Both had a few good offers so I'm sure they are of quality.

But yes as Michi stated in jest, I'm chilling out with it in June. Couple commitments in the past few days shows the staff Is out working and not relaxing.

After the Hole we have been put in, I think so many of these kids are waiting to see the product on the field. Our recruiting will go as the season goes.

Wait till you see your UF Team play under Mc! I really like Jim Mc. in the way he develops players, plays smart do not beat yourself, hard nosed & relentless football. His CSU team played Bama very tough and was way undermanned in their game in tuscaloosa- did not matter much, they were not intimidated at all. He will have a lot better players at UF, will be in good physical condition and just flat out hard to beat- wait and see...
Recruiting stars are often miss rated - the line between a 3 and 4 is minuscule. It is more in the development and coaching. Even 5's miss often cause they never develop- bama can prove that with tons of examples. Saw where super bowl teams had like 1 or 2 5's in total or maybe none..

McElwain will get the job done in Coaching & Development- your main concern is how your team plays games. The SEC East will see it this year- despite a bare cupboard in the OL pool of players. He will figure a way to minimize even this I believe? Second year it will show big time imo.

After the Hole we have been put in, I think so many of these kids are waiting to see the product on the field. Our recruiting will go as the season goes.

Yes besides a vanilla spring game, nobody has seen what type of system we run at all. That is a huge factor especially with the offensive recruitment. I honestly don't blame any offensive player of high quality for not pulling the trigger just yet. Makes sense.

I can certainly see this being the case. A lot of time between now and NSD. Besides, how many times will the recruiting services re-rate the recruits from this point forward? Once? Twice?

And at this time last year, how many verbal commitments did we have? Hell.....how many did we have when Mac was hired during the last cycle??

Yea won't lie, I haven't been that impressed so far. Like why are we taking a juco back when we just landed two stud backs this past class AND we're in a state that produces the best skill talent year after year? Why not sign a high schooler instead? That doesn't make much sense to me. Same with some of the other prospects who only have offers from Mac caliber schools, why do we need to reach so early? All that said, we still have months left so I can't even pretend to be concerned at the moment. But there are so questionable takes so far.

U
You are going to get nailed with "Its June, chill out."

But, FSU, OSU, Auburn and Miami are killing us in-state.

I fear we are caught in a VERY viscious cycle that may eventually require a Saban or Meyer type to fix down the road.

LOL, don't worry about UM's class.

Yea won't lie, I haven't been that impressed so far. Like why are we taking a juco back when we just landed two stud backs this past class AND we're in a state that produces the best skill talent year after year? Why not sign a high schooler instead? That doesn't make much sense to me. Same with some of the other prospects who only have offers from Mac caliber schools, why do we need to reach so early? All that said, we still have months left so I can't even pretend to be concerned at the moment. But there are so questionable takes so far.

With you on all this. Add to it Gradner (our top recruit) is taking several visita over the summer

We are attracting players for 'ground and pound', we are not attracting elite athletes at this point.

Wait till you see your UF Team play under Mc! I really like Jim Mc. in the way he develops players, plays smart do not beat yourself, hard nosed & relentless football. His CSU team played Bama very tough and was way undermanned in their game in tuscaloosa- did not matter much, they were not intimidated at all. He will have a lot better players at UF, will be in good physical condition and just flat out hard to beat- wait and see...
Recruiting stars are often miss rated - the line between a 3 and 4 is minuscule. It is more in the development and coaching. Even 5's miss often cause they never develop- bama can prove that with tons of examples. Saw where super bowl teams had like 1 or 2 5's in total or maybe none..

McElwain will get the job done in Coaching & Development- your main concern is how your team plays games. The SEC East will see it this year- despite a bare cupboard in the OL pool of players. He will figure a way to minimize even this I believe? Second year it will show big time imo.

6-6 with moral victories by playing it safe will NOT fix our issues.

I loved his defenses, anything else is just nonsense. Watch the CSU game vs Bama, I remember watching that game and thinking the same thing he posted during the first half of that game. Mcelwain is just a good coach and good game day coach, which is huge for what we need right now. We need to try to steal games against teams more talented than us the first two years.

I loved his defenses, anything else is just nonsense. Watch the CSU game vs Bama, I remember watching that game and thinking the same thing he posted during the first half of that game. Mcelwain is just a good coach and good game day coach, which is huge for what we need right now. We need to try to steal games against teams more talented than us the first two years.

There is a lot of things that demonstrate his knowledge such as how he had plan Bs and Cs last here to ensure not leaving many holes in the roster.

Let me ask you a question though, a lot of the preseason publications (Lindy's, etc) are very critical of Collin's? I was pretty excited to have him. What's the truth on him?

Give MAC some time to gain trust in high school players. Right now he has to do damage control for a year. It will work out soon, very soon.

There is a lot of things that demonstrate his knowledge such as how he had plan Bs and Cs last here to ensure not leaving many holes in the roster.

Let me ask you a question though, a lot of the preseason publications (Lindy's, etc) are very critical of Collin's? I was pretty excited to have him. What's the truth on him?

people think he gets too conservative at times but heres the obvious question, when has he ever had anywhere near the talent that he has to coordinate right now and going forward? Did you see Miss States defense against just a simple option attack with over a month to prepare for it when it was their strength in the Orange Bowl without Collins? Trust me, he knows what he's doing, iv'e been around him personally.

people think he gets too conservative at times but heres the obvious question, when has he ever had anywhere near the talent that he has to coordinate right now and going forward? Did you see Miss States defense against just a simple option attack with over a month to prepare for it when it was their strength in the Orange Bowl without Collins? Trust me, he knows what he's doing, iv'e been around him personally.

I don't mind the Collins hire, just wanted your take as you have first-hand experience

When a head coaching job opens up at a big name school, we all hear the rumors as who is coming in. Established head coaches from other big time programs
are hard to entice. They loathe leaving a school in which they have become entrenched. Then comes the list of guys that are serving their apprenticeship as coordinators
at well known programs. Guys such as Bo Polini, Lane Kiffin, Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, etc, were always mentioned by the sports casters as the next big name to
join the club. A hire of an established big time coach or of the next young gun always bring excitement. Kid have grown up dreaming of playing college ball at their favorite
school. Give them half a reason for excitement and they seem ready to come in droves. Florida's hire of Jim as the new head coach never seemed to generate this
kind of excitement. True, he built a winner at his last job, but it was at a school with little tradition and in a second tier conference. Excluding a few big time recruits
from the 2015 class, it seems to me that the recruits are taking a wait and see attitude. It will take some solid success on the field for this attitude to change.
He will need to win games against his annual rivals like Georgia, S. Carolina, LSU, and FSU.
Jim's best recruiting tools are immediate playing time, a chance to play in a dominant conference, and the tradition that Steve Spurrier built at UF.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Mojito
It’s funny, everyone seems to be worried about the offense here. And with the current status quo, I can understand it. However, I have questioned the DC hire from day 1. Yes I know he has never had the talent to coach that he does now.

But, who loses to Georgia Tech with a month to prepare? The only other person to lose was a Lane Kiffen coached, depleted USC team. Paul Johnson is 2-5 in bowl appearances since showing up at Tech and 2-2 when he was at Navy beating only Colorado State and New Mexico.

I am in a show me situation with Collins.

It’s funny, everyone seems to be worried about the offense here. And with the current status quo, I can understand it. However, I have questioned the DC hire from day 1. Yes I know he has never had the talent to coach that he does now.

But, who loses to Georgia Tech with a month to prepare? The only other person to lose was a Lane Kiffen coached, depleted USC team. Paul Johnson is 2-5 in bowl appearances since showing up at Tech and 2-2 when he was at Navy beating only Colorado State and New Mexico.

I am in a show me situation with Collins.

Do you even know what midline is?

I like most of our defensive staff, including Collins. Rumph and Shannon are probably even overqualified as position coaches.

I am actually pretty low on our overall offensive staff. Aside from Mac and Summers (and Summers is all coaching and development, no recruiting) I think that side of the ball is pretty underwhelming.

I like most of our defensive staff, including Collins. Rumph and Shannon are probably even overqualified as position coaches.

I am actually pretty low on our overall offensive staff. Aside from Mac and Summers (and Summers is all coaching and development, no recruiting) I think that side of the ball is pretty underwhelming.

I like the staff sans one coordinator, but I am beginning to wonder if said coordinator's reputation has anything to do with what appears to be a real struggle to land elite athletes and WR.

... what the F is going on?

Why are we tied for the lowest average recruit ranking in the SEC? I am officially concerned.

The first full class for a staff is the easiest to sell and is almost always very good for any above average coach.
I honestly don't know how you could be worried at this point. This is the worst that I've seen Florida, as a program, in over 20 years. It's not going to be better before the 1st season of the newest head coach. I want to see how the season goes and if we get 8 wins then I'll call it decent season...9 wins would be awesome.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Like I've been saying for a long time, we are going to suck for a while in football thanks to Foley and his ego.

I honestly don't know how you could be worried at this point. This is the worst that I've seen Florida, as a program, in over 20 years. It's not going to be better before the 1st season of the newest head coach. I want to see how the season goes and if we get 8 wins then I'll call it decent season...9 wins would be awesome.

If we were in an avatar challenge, I would win.

I don't know that I'm worried/not worried about the current recruiting situation. But I am happy we are actually getting a class together. I still remember about 6 weeks before the last NSD when we had like 7 verbals.

Yes we need to get some recruiting wins vs. other top teams, and yes it's still May - not a time to get too freaked out or too eager at this point imo.

I really like our recruiting class right now. 10 of the 13 commits are from the state of Florida. That is one thing we got away from during the end of the Meyer era and the Muschamp era. Mac and staff are getting on these guys early. For you star lovers we have about 3-4 guys that are going to get bumped up to 4stars because they haven't really been evaluated closely yet by Rivals, etc.

I really like our recruiting class right now. 10 of the 13 commits are from the state of Florida. That is one thing we got away from during the end of the Meyer era and the Muschamp era. Mac and staff are getting on these guys early. For you star lovers we have about 3-4 guys that are going to get bumped up to 4stars because they haven't really been evaluated closely yet by Rivals, etc.

This

Don't care about stars, some of those guys are straight up reaches. Like the McWilliams cat ran a 4.9 at a camp. We all one these guys to be studs, but we can be honest about some of the takes as well. Like I said earlier, not concerned at all. But some of our takes have undoubtedly been reaches and I'm not sure why because its so early.

At some point we need to enter the conversation for the TOP players in Florida. Right now we have one of the top 75. Fleoida St, Miami, Ohio St and Auburn are all doing better, much better in the state. And honestly, we aren't favored for many of the others. We will not rejoin the elite teams until we can make a move on these guys, especially play-making WR

ADVERTISEMENT