ADVERTISEMENT

So much for Willie Taggart

He has a 47-51 coaching record so I don't know why Noles and many others thought this was a great hire. I think FSU will go into a slow decline over the next few years. Jimbo left a lot of talent, but Taggert is a mediocre coach IMO.

FSU doesn’t have a lot of talent...unless you’re just going by recruiting stars. Their last 2-3 classes have had a lot of busts. Jimbo was 5-6 with the same team last year before he left. Their oline might be the worst in college football, they have no linebackers at all, and their dline is depleted too. There’s a reason Jimbo was tryna get out of dodge, he knew what he had, or didn’t have coming back. His days on top of the state were numbered.

Reactions: 96FSU
I realize that this was scheduled years ago, but playing a ranked, blue chip, program for the first game with a new, mostly untested staff, was probably not a great idea. They obviously have a few kinks to work out.
Felt similar about Mac and Michigan last year. Tough way to open when the microscope is on you. However, Mac was in year 3 and had no excuse at all. At least Willie can cite to transition. But it is still not a good way to start...kinda feel bad for you guys...except for BucaNole:...

I would prefer to take our place back at the top of the state because we are ass kickers, not because F$U and Miami are hot trash.

Just sayin

Prefer yes, but I can accept either way... ;)

Why? -- In state recruiting advantages... :cool:

Lol did anyone else hear/see that Willie T is now accusing VTech of faking injuries to slow down their offense and get them out of whack?

Reactions: sadgator
Even Herbie called VT out on it during the game. But no amount of malingering makes up for 21 points. If it was a close game, it would be different.

Taggart has to anticipate how the press is going to skew his answers. Looks like he is still learning on the job both on the field and off.

FSU doesn’t have a lot of talent...unless you’re just going by recruiting stars. Their last 2-3 classes have had a lot of busts. Jimbo was 5-6 with the same team last year before he left. Their oline might be the worst in college football, they have no linebackers at all, and their dline is depleted too. There’s a reason Jimbo was tryna get out of dodge, he knew what he had, or didn’t have coming back. His days on top of the state were numbered.

FSU has excellent talent at DL, DB, RB, TE & WR. Not so much at QB, OL, LB, K & Punter. Sam Howell cannot get here soon enough. Francois is awful.

While there is ZERO excuse for whatever the hell that was last night, Jimbo lost by 50+ to OU in his first year and went on to win it all 3 years later.

A. Willie inherited one of the worse O-lines in college football.
B. I'll give him more than one game before calling for his head.

Call for his head? I'm calling for an EXTENSION.

Even if I was on that path, there is a large amount of room between saying someone isn't a supercoach and calling for their firing.

I agree. Our OL was perhaps the most maligned position group in the P5 last year. And deservedly so. We are dealing with a complete rebuild at that position group. The OL was terrible at best last night.

Also, there weren't a lot of head coaching choices when Jimbo finally acted on his annual flirtation with the SEC.

Things could have been different. Reviewing the non call on the touchdown. Receiver dropping another TD . The defense was much improved over Charles Kelly's crap. Not saying we could have won though. VT was definitely better. I still think we can win six games.

Nobody used the word CAN'T, so we evidently all think FSU can win 6+ games. But the narrative from Noles has gone from "dark horse national title contender" to "confident we can qualify for a bowl game", and that is a LARGE shift.

Nobody used the word CAN'T, so we evidently all think FSU can win 6+ games. But the narrative from Noles has gone from "dark horse national title contender" to "confident we can qualify for a bowl game", and that is a LARGE shift.

Not sure where that was coming from...any WC poll I saw this off season had FSU as a 9-3/8-4 team with some koolaid drinkers at 10-2. I think most of the excitement stemmed from the cultural infusion Willie spearheaded. Literally every.single.person I've talked to has said, "I love Taggart and everything he's done so far. I just hope he can win some games!" [paraphrased]

He has a 47-51 coaching record so I don't know why Noles and many others thought this was a great hire. I think FSU will go into a slow decline over the next few years. Jimbo left a lot of talent, but Taggert is a mediocre coach IMO.

Very few FSU fans I know said it was a great hire. Mediocre at best but it was based on extenuating Jumbo circumstances. Either he improves dramatically or he will be gone.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Very few FSU fans I know said it was a great hire. Mediocre at best but it was based on extenuating Jumbo circumstances. Either he improves dramatically or he will be gone.

Interesting. The Noles in here almost to a man claimed it was a great hire perfect for FSU, that Taggart was a recruiting machine and his ability to turn around programs would lead FSU to at least a 10 win year. When you claim a minimum of 10 wins, you consider yourself a dark horse national title contender, because it's not that much farther past 10 to a playoff berth.

All off-season on this board we heard from FSU fans on how great of a hire he was.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Interesting. The Noles in here almost to a man claimed it was a great hire perfect for FSU, that Taggart was a recruiting machine and his ability to turn around programs would lead FSU to at least a 10 win year. When you claim a minimum of 10 wins, you consider yourself a dark horse national title contender, because it's not that much farther past 10 to a playoff berth.

It will be disappointing if we don't win ~10 games. 9-3 plus a bowl win isn't asking too much IMO. The problem with dropping one out of the gate is that now Taggart is going to have to spring an upset or 2 over Miami, Notre Dame, or Clemson. Regardless of this year, Taggart is going to need a big year in 2019. The schedule sets up great with swapping @ND for Boise State in Jax and VT from the Coastal for UVA . Clemson will also lose a ton after this year. Got to produce quickly in this day and age .

Clemson will also sign a monster recruiting class. They are light years ahead of fsu.

Both on the roster and especially in coaching

Clemson will also sign a monster recruiting class. They are light years ahead of fsu.

Both on the roster and especially in coaching

Clemson will definitely recruit well, but next year might be a bit of a down year for them. They're going to lose a lot of talent - especially in the trenches.

So true...those guys are gone for the foreseeable future...and thank God! #gators

Let's put this into perspective:

FSU was home, at night, in a game they had 6 months to get ready for, against a team breaking in a ton of new defensive starters, where pretty much everybody is a freshman or a sophomore, and got STOMPED.

While i agree and i have been saying this for awhile that willie sucks on gameday. We did drop a td pass that gets caught 90% of the time, we also scored but didnt review it. Its one game, i dont think our o will always be that bad but i do expect us to fire willie within 4 yrsand our team be loaded

We are misssing talent out of the most important positions. We have no talent on the o line, and linebacker....WR has talent its just young talent. I havent seen a good linebacker at fsu in yrs

I realize that this was scheduled years ago, but playing a ranked, blue chip, program for the first game with a new, mostly untested staff, was probably not a great idea. They obviously have a few kinks to work out.

Its Va tech...we should have won regardless. If Gavin doesnt drop an easy td and murray scores on an obvious td(taggart allows the review) we have 17 points in the first quarter va tech folds. Instead Gavin drops the ball and taggart rushes us to the line and we false start LOL ****ing horrible.

While i agree and i have been saying this for awhile that willie sucks on gameday. We did drop a td pass that gets caught 90% of the time, we also scored but didnt review it. Its one game, i dont think our o will always be that bad but i do expect us to fire willie within 4 yrsand our team be loaded

I agree with this in this particular incident. The challenge overall is that this almost never happens to really good coaches. It's the small things the elite coaches - they don't let it slide. And there's a thousand of those small things every week, and during the game.

That's where it's a bad sign for Willie imo. Certainly it's only one game and not a pattern but I'd keep my eye on it if I was a Nole.

Reactions: fsu939913
FSU has excellent talent at DL, DB, RB, TE & WR. Not so much at QB, OL, LB, K & Punter. Sam Howell cannot get here soon enough. Francois is awful.

Disagree with much of this post, but especially about Francois. He’s the only reason you were able to even move the ball the few times you did. He was making NFL caliber throws including the perfect one your receiver dropped for a TD. Very few QB’s are gonna be great getting sacked 6 times and having no run game. The interceptions at the end are whatever...just trying to make a play with the game already out of hand.

That review thing is overrated btw. The refs have until the next snap to call a review. So even after the false start the refs could have reveiwed it if they wanted to, FSU hurrying up didn’t keep them from reviewing. With the way FSU’s oline was getting owned it actually probably made more sense to try and hurry up and get a snap off before they got set.

It will be disappointing if we don't win ~10 games. 9-3 plus a bowl win isn't asking too much IMO. The problem with dropping one out of the gate is that now Taggart is going to have to spring an upset or 2 over Miami, Notre Dame, or Clemson. Regardless of this year, Taggart is going to need a big year in 2019. The schedule sets up great with swapping @ND for Boise State in Jax and VT from the Coastal for UVA . Clemson will also lose a ton after this year. Got to produce quickly in this day and age .

I think you are going to be disappointed.

Its not looking good.

We just have to make a few adjustments. Run some i formations and quick pass plays which we will.

N Illinois: we will crush them by 40
Louisville: we win by two TDs
Miami: W. It’s a rivalry so it’s close
Wake: L. Too high after the Miami win
Clemson: L. Just barely. We always play them tough
NC State: easy W. They have no talent.
Notre Dame: W. They barely beat Vandy.
Boston College: W. It’s Boston College. They stink.
Florida: W. I would say close but our talent level is light years ahead of you guys and by then we will be cranking with the i formations and quick passes.

Only four losses on the season is a big improvement from last year.

We just have to make a few adjustments. Run some i formations and quick pass plays which we will.

Florida: W. I would say close but our talent level is light years ahead of you guys and by then we will be cranking with the i formations and quick passes.

Impressive troll job. Or sheer lunacy.

Please come back down to planet Earth!

Reality:

Va Tech: L

Samford: W; barely

Syracuse: L, embarrassing blow out

N. Illinois: W, but not by 40. Your offense won’t sniff 40 this season.

Louisville: L

Miami: L

Wake: W, but close game

Clemson: L

NC State: Toss up, NC State is 2-0, but they haven’t played anyone, so at this point it’s hard to say how they compare to FSU

Notre Dame: L

BC: Toss up; BC is 3-0, but it’s still BC

Florida: L

At best, dumpster FSU will go 5-7 this season, but 4-8 isn’t a stretch. This season will be the beginning of the end for Taggart. If FSU could fire him after only 1 season they would but that never happens. I put the over/under on Taggart’s tenure at FSU at 2.5 years.

Reactions: Cold Gator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT