ADVERTISEMENT

So much for Willie Taggart

Looking at their schedule, and now knowing how good they aren't, their bowl eligibility may well come down to the NC State game.
They looked bad tonight, and if they played an sec schedule then they might be in real trouble. But, honestly, which 7 teams that they play can beat them?

They shouldn’t have a winning record this year, but they will anyway.

1015b8e0121a78ff.jpg

They looked bad tonight, and if they played an sec schedule then they might be in real trouble. But, honestly, which 7 teams that they play can beat them?

They shouldn’t have a winning record this year, but they will anyway.

Well, I think we can safely put Va Tech in the loss category.

Add to that Clemson and Notre Dame.

Louisville and Miami got beat up as well, but by pretty good SEC teams, and on the road/neutral site, and both host FSU, so I'm going to say those two.

That's five.

There are three other teams that can beat them, and have shown they can beat them, and they are NC State, Boston College, and Florida. Two of those beat FSU and they are 5-7.

Because you know what? VA TECH ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT. Just like we made Michigan look amazing in last season's opener, when they were pretty average, so too has FSU artificially inflated the status of an 8-4 type team by stinking up the joint. Once the losses start piling up and the finger pointing begins (if it hasn't already), this FSU season is going to become hella bad.

Outside of Clemson the ACC is awful. They may be the only good team in the entire conference. It’s early but Probably going to be the worst conference in college football this year.

Outside of Clemson the ACC is awful. They may be the only good team in the entire conference. It’s early but Probably going to be the worst conference in college football this year.
I don't think Clemson will play a single ranked team on their schedule now right (as of when they play each team)?

Which means Clemson can't afford to lose a single game if they want to make the playoffs, which makes their road trip to aTm even more important now.

And this is why everyone said the Taggert hire was a disaster for FSU. The rebuilding of programs excuse is just that, an excuse - the guy can't coach a lick. You didn't see Urban Meyer trotting around with a losing record before UF hired him after coming from Bowling Green and Utah because the guy could actually coach and didn't need time to turn teams around. Taggert blows. I look forward to UF returning to its appropriate place at the top of the state.

All the talk of Taggart being very unorganized and not capable of running a bigger program reared it’s ugly head right out of the gate. I don’t think he hired a very good coaching staff either.

If the O-Line improves, they will be able to move the ball.

Francois is a good passer, but he gets beat to a pulp every snap, it seems.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Let's put this into perspective:

FSU was home, at night, in a game they had 6 months to get ready for, against a team breaking in a ton of new defensive starters, where pretty much everybody is a freshman or a sophomore, and got STOMPED.
It was great to witness. Nulls are back

Well, I think we can safely put Va Tech in the loss category.

Add to that Clemson and Notre Dame.

Louisville and Miami got beat up as well, but by pretty good SEC teams, and on the road/neutral site, and both host FSU, so I'm going to say those two.

That's five.

There are three other teams that can beat them, and have shown they can beat them, and they are NC State, Boston College, and Florida. Two of those beat FSU and they are 5-7.

Because you know what? VA TECH ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT. Just like we made Michigan look amazing in last season's opener, when they were pretty average, so too has FSU artificially inflated the status of an 8-4 type team by stinking up the joint. Once the losses start piling up and the finger pointing begins (if it hasn't already), this FSU season is going to become hella bad.
I can see Clemson, ND and Florida beating them. That’s 4.
But I don’t trust that 3 out of NC State, Miami, BC and Louisville will beat them.

If they can find their way to the stadium the next three weeks then they will be 3-1 when they play Louisville. Then Miami the following week before an off week then Wake Forest. If they split UM and Louisville they will be 5-2 after Wake. That would mean they would have to lose out to go 5-7

All the talk of Taggart being very unorganized and not capable of running a bigger program reared it’s ugly head right out of the gate. I don’t think he hired a very good coaching staff either.
The guy has a losing record as a head coach. Whoever hired this guy has lost her damn mind. Why would a big time program like FSU hire a guy with a losing record? CLUELESS...and nothing makes me happier than seeing FSU lose on TV.

Reactions: g8torlenny

Worst conference is likely gonna go to the Big 12. Texas was supposed to be their second best team and they just lost to Maryland. Every team but OU likely has four or more losses. They’ll probably only have 4 or so bowl teams.

Worst conference is likely gonna go to the Big 12. Texas was supposed to be their second best team and they just lost to Maryland. Every team but OU likely has four or more losses. They’ll probably only have 4 or so bowl teams.
That is what I thought as well but Okie St and West Virginia are better than everybody else in the ACC not named Clemson. Who else is even going to have a good team in the ACC besides Clemson?

West Virginia is likely to go 10-2 or 9-3. They don't play anyone good until November. I still think Texas will win quite a few games also.

Last edited:
In fairness, the timing of Jimbo leaving FSU...if you remember back there weren't many coaches left. He probably was the best of what was out there. Reminds me of the Zook hire.

Reactions: 96FSU
In fairness, the timing of Jimbo leaving FSU...if you remember back there weren't many coaches left. He probably was the best of what was out there. Reminds me of the Zook hire.

I sure hope so and he does only have that one good season. I just hope they don't get their act together a little this year by the time we play them. Knowing our luck lately they probably will. There is a good chance they will have 4 losses at least coming into that game.

This reminds me of Texas hiring Webster ( Aka 2* Chaaaalie) who hired a horrible horrible staff and wasn’t considered very organized. It was a real dumpster fire in the end...My goodness the man lost to Kansas, yes Kansas.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Can we now put to rest the Nolie idea that some supercoach was running things in Tallacrappie?
While there is ZERO excuse for whatever the hell that was last night, Jimbo lost by 50+ to OU in his first year and went on to win it all 3 years later.

A. Willie inherited one of the worse O-lines in college football.
B. I'll give him more than one game before calling for his head.

The guy has a losing record as a head coach. Whoever hired this guy has lost her damn mind. Why would a big time program like FSU hire a guy with a losing record? CLUELESS...and nothing makes me happier than seeing FSU lose on TV.

Because he inherited dumpster fires ad Western Kentucky, USF & Oregon and had to turn them around; which he did. I'm not saying he's the next Bowden or Saban, but you have to be smart enough to look past the record. He may be our Zook, but on 60 minutes of football have been played so far.

While there is ZERO excuse for whatever the hell that was last night, Jimbo lost by 50+ to OU in his first year and went on to win it all 3 years later.

Wasnt the circumstances much different. Oklahoma was much much better than that VT team you played last night. Fisher left a lot more talent for Willie than what was left for him. Didn’t FSU suck for years before Jimbo took over? Totally different circumstances.

I do agree it was just one game but let’s be honest. It should have been worse than 24-3 and it looks like you have a coach that looks completely lost over there. And again he didn’t hire a very good coaching staff either. Call it what it is.

He has a 47-51 coaching record so I don't know why Noles and many others thought this was a great hire. I think FSU will go into a slow decline over the next few years. Jimbo left a lot of talent, but Taggert is a mediocre coach IMO.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Because he inherited dumpster fires ad Western Kentucky, USF & Oregon and had to turn them around; which he did. I'm not saying he's the next Bowden or Saban, but you have to be smart enough to look past the record. He may be our Zook, but on 60 minutes of football have been played so far.
Are you sure he really turned them around? He wasn’t even there long enough to know if he did or can sustain any kind of program over the long haul. It looks like he may have a short stay again.

I do agree it was just one game but let’s be honest. It should have been worse than 24-3 and it looks like you have a coach that looks completely lost over there. And again he didn’t hire a very good coaching staff either. Call it what it is.

Depends on how you look at it. We had a TD to close the gap to 10-7 that Willie should have challenged, but didn't. We also had a 32 yard missed field goal. We could have been 10-10 before the blocked punt. Let's also not forget we camped out inside the 5 yard line on 3 other occasions, but apparently have no redzone offense--NONE. Our defense kept us in the game to include a goal-line stand.

It's not like FSU never moved the ball, we just never found any consistency behind a line that cannot and I repeat CAN NOT pass block. So, while the Jimbo/OU situation is different, Jimbo had been recruiting his players for 3 years at that point (as MJ and BONG so frequently pointed out back then). Jimbo left Willie an abysmal OL and Willie made no adjustments to overcome that.

Are you sure he really turned them around? He wasn’t even there long enough to know if he did or can sustain any kind of program over the long haul. It looks like he may have a short stay again.
Yes, I'm pretty certain.

2010 Western Kentucky: 2-10
2011 Western Kentucky: 7-5 Bowl Game (that's about the pinnacle for that type of program)
2012 Western Kentucky: 7- 5 Bowl Game
2013 South Florida: 2-10
2014 South Florida: 4-8
2015 South Florida: 8-5 Bowl Game
2016 South Florida: 10-2 Bowl Game
2017 Oregon: 7-5 (losing record year prior)

However, I'm not sold on him as HC (those inaugural seasons are horrible and can't happen at FSU) He's marked all the non-football boxes and gotten fans excited, BUT w/o wins on the field, he's gone. Period.

I agree. Our OL was perhaps the most maligned position group in the P5 last year. And deservedly so. We are dealing with a complete rebuild at that position group. The OL was terrible at best last night.

Also, there weren't a lot of head coaching choices when Jimbo finally acted on his annual flirtation with the SEC.

Things could have been different. Reviewing the non call on the touchdown. Receiver dropping another TD . The defense was much improved over Charles Kelly's crap. Not saying we could have won though. VT was definitely better. I still think we can win six games.

Yes, I'm pretty certain.

2010 Western Kentucky: 2-10
2011 Western Kentucky: 7-5 Bowl Game (that's about the pinnacle for that type of program)
2012 Western Kentucky: 7- 5 Bowl Game
2013 South Florida: 2-10
2014 South Florida: 4-8
2015 South Florida: 8-5 Bowl Game
2016 South Florida: 10-2 Bowl Game
2017 Oregon: 7-5 (losing record year prior)

However, I'm not sold on him as HC (those inaugural seasons are horrible and can't happen at FSU) He's marked all the non-football boxes and gotten fans excited, BUT w/o wins on the field, he's gone. Period.
Bobby Petrino went 8-4 in one year at Western Kentucky. Jeff Brohm went 12-3 and 10-3 at Western Kentucky. McElewin turned around Colorado St. Look how that turned out. Different kind of animal

This reminds me of Texas hiring Webster ( Aka 2* Chaaaalie) who hired a horrible horrible staff and wasn’t considered very organized. It was a real dumpster fire in the end...My goodness the man lost to Kansas, yes Kansas.
-- And in 2016, he also beat both Baylor and Notre Dame.

Texas is the Chokers big rival in what's left of the Big12-10. :rolleyes:
2017 7-6 -- Here are their 1st and last games of the 2017 regular season.
L - Tx 41 - 51 Maryland 4-8
L
- Tx 23 - 27 TxTech 6-7
But the schmucks of the world think that Strong was the problem??? :confused:

2017 USF/Strong went 10-2
2018 1-0 so far.

Even with his sucky time at Tx, he still finished the 2017 season with a 64-39 record.

He won at UL before Tx, (37-15)
He's won as USF after Tx. (11-2)
So, if you take Tex-ass out of his record, he'd be 48-17 (.738).

Maybe it's Tex-ass and/or the Big12-10 are the real problem, and not Charlie Strong, you clueless choker hack. o_O

Last edited:
Texas is the Chokers big rival in what's left of the Big12-10. :rolleyes:
2017 7-6 -- Here are their 1st and last games of the 2017 regular season.
L - Tx 41 - 51 Maryland 4-8
L
- Tx 23 - 27 TxTech 6-7
But you think that Strong was the problem??? :confused:

2017 USF/Strong went 10-2
2018 1-0 so far.

Even with his sucky time at Tx, he still finished the 2017 season with a 64-39 record.

He won at UL before Tx, (37-15)
He's won as USF after Tx. (11-2)
So, if you take Tex-ass out of his record, he'd be 48-17 (.738).

Maybe it's Tex-ass and not Charlie Strong that's the problem, you clueless choker hack. o_O
You may actually be correct (for once). Strong was a TERRIBLE fit at Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT