ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: What Phil Steele thinks...

SpaceGrits

Bull Gator
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2022
"In 2021 Florida only had ten starters back which was the fewest in the SEC (lost 8 NFL DC's) and finished just 6-7 (0-5 away from home SEC) and Dan Mullen was fired. Billy Napier had 13 returning starters and did draw a pair of top ten teams outside the division. The Gators upset Utah in the opener but were 6-4 when they lost to Vandy and Florida St., then lost the bowl 30-3 for another 6-7 finish. They were 3-5 in SEC play but +19.3 ypg. Last year they were just #109 on my Exp Chart. Like 2021, they had just 3 SEC home games and drew LSU out of the West. UF lost a mistake filled game on the road to Utah but was 5-2 with an upset of #9 Tennesee. UF missed a GW fg vs Ark and lost in OT then gave up a 4&17 pass late and a 30 yd fg :05 to lose to Missouri (led LSU and Flor St in 4Q) and went 5-7. They are 2-10 on the road under Napier (2-16 run). Florida has not had 4 straight losing seasons since 1935-38. Last year they were much better than their record, just a handful of plays from a much better record. This year they are improved in all 3 phases. They do face the nations toughest schedule but Napier and company are up to the task. Florida St stuck with Coach Norvell despite two losing seasons to open and look where they are. Florida does have just 4 true road games this year (Georgia neutral site) and if they take care of business in the Swamp they will have a much better season than expected. Last year the Gators were off a losing season but did not make my most improved list due to their schedule. This year their Vegas Over/Under if 5.5 and they do make my Most Improved list and have a winning year."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News