ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Media Daze Thread

fsu939913 said:
Hes said that before but its not up to the coach lol we applied for SEC status...Gators said no

You are correct up to a point, but history of FSU and the SEC didn't end in the 70s.
A little history: http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_sec.html
...and a little more history: http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_acc.html
Cliff Notes: Sept 12, 1990 the SEC voted 6-2 in favor of expansion and 8-0 (which included UF) in favor of the Seminoles joining the SEC.

Jus-damn! A fully informed asscannole, and he's willing to admit/share it... :eek:
Never thought that I'd live to see the day.... :cool:

Grats... :D ----- (and up your nose numbers) :p

Last edited:
fsu939913 said:
Hes said that before but its not up to the coach lol we applied for SEC status...Gators said no

Jus-damn! A fully informed asscannole, and he's willing to admit/share it... :eek:
Never thought that I'd live to see the day.... :cool:

Grats... :D ----- (and up your nose numbers) :p
There's a lot of history (both truth and urban legend) when it comes to the UF vs FSU rivalry. Most folks just don't care to do all their research.

Here's another fun read: http://classicnoles.typepad.com/gar...lorida-was-ordered-to-play-florida-state.html

You are correct up to a point, but history of FSU and the SEC didn't end in the 70s.

A little history: http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_sec.html

...and a little more history: http://nolefan.org/summary/fsu_acc.html

Cliff Notes: Sept 12, 1990 the SEC voted 6-2 in favor of expansion and 8-0 (which included UF) in favor of the Seminoles joining the SEC.

It was a smart play by Bowden and FSU, they would have never made their 1990s run in the SEC.

For whatever reason, aubarn fans always delight in reminding FSU fans about their not wanting to join the SEC. Same aubarn who started campaigning to move to the East a few years ago because they were sick of Bama beating up on them every year.

It was a smart play by Bowden and FSU, they would have never made their 1990s run in the SEC.

For whatever reason, aubarn fans always delight in reminding FSU fans about their not wanting to join the SEC. Same aubarn who started campaigning to move to the East a few years ago because they were sick of Bama beating up on them every year.
It was a VERY smart move, BUT because so many FSU fans are in denial of it, it just makes them targets for easy ridicule. Just own it and move on. It really doesn't change the fact Bowden built a dynasty.

I think the most interesting statistic for the two programs is our head-to-head record when both teams are ranked. It's easy to tout records when UF is whooping a down trodden FSU program and visa versa, but it's another to see what these programs are when they are both at the top of their game and MNC implications are on the line. The 90s truly did represent the best of what both schools can bring to college football. Think 1994, 1996 and 1997 games for example.

It was a VERY smart move, BUT because so many FSU fans are in denial of it, it just makes them targets for easy ridicule. Just own it and move on. It really doesn't change the fact Bowden built a dynasty.

I think the most interesting statistic for the two programs is our head-to-head record when both teams are ranked. It's easy to tout records when UF is whooping a down trodden FSU program and visa versa, but it's another to see what these programs are when they are both at the top of their game and MNC implications are on the line. The 90s truly did represent the best of what both schools can bring to college football. Think 1994, 1996 and 1997 games for example.

It's interesting to think about how the dynamic in the SEC would have changed if FSU had replaced South Carolina. I've never liked SC in the SEC, would be in favor of booting them today, tbh.

I suspect both FSU and Florida would have been solid Top 10 programs for the 90s. I think it would have been tough for either to win a NC in the decade, but they both would have been studs. Cheatersee probably would have been hurt the most.

It's interesting to think about how the dynamic in the SEC would have changed if FSU had replaced South Carolina. I've never liked SC in the SEC, would be in favor of booting them today, tbh.

I suspect both FSU and Florida would have been solid Top 10 programs for the 90s. I think it would have been tough for either to win a NC in the decade, but they both would have been studs. Cheatersee probably would have been hurt the most.

SCa has at least played in the SEC-C game in Hotlanta.
VU, UK, aTm, and Ole Piss never have. o_O

The bastions of the SEC
Kensucky leads the SEC in all time NCAA Probations in B-Ball
While the Red-turds leads the SEC in all time NCAA Probations in Football.
They both obviously live by the NAS-CAR motto,
'If you ain't cheatin,' then you ain't trying hard enough to win.'

Oh BTW, UF leads the SEC in All Time Total SEC Championships. :cool:

All of that still ignores some rather blatant 1990's facts.
Every year, UF had to wade through a season of SEC Defenses before playing FSUcks.
While your criminoles got to dance through the All Cupcake Conf. and arrive healthy for our game. You also had the advantage of your All Corrupt Conf. game officials, which several schools refused to ever play you again if ACC officials were being used. (see 'The Swindle in the SWAMP' game for a prime example) o_O

If UF has to continue to play that game, then move it into the 1st 2 games slots.
Better yet imo, get them off UF's schedule and let the tallycrappy criminoles and the scUM thugs of Mi-Am-I battle it out for the infamous Florida State Championship Rings.... :cool:

You could always replace UF with USF, while the scUM could play UCF. :D

And those defenses were all carefully built to stop the run, not a spread passing attack.
So we had to take a pounding going against strong built hard hitters that became all pros such as Champ Bailey, Al Wilson, Leonard Little, Taeko Spikes, amongst others...week in and week out that takes a toll on the offense.

While we are on the subject lets think of the bruising RB's such as Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Rudy Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Kevin Faulk, Garrison Hearst...added in with a long list of stone wall OL and TE's our defense had to go against most weeks.

By the 11th or so game of the season many players are banged up and rattled.

Reactions: instaGATOR
So we had to take a pounding going against strong built hard hitters that became all pros such as Champ Bailey, Al Wilson, Leonard Little, Taeko Spikes, amongst others...week in and week out that takes a toll on the offense.

Notice you didn't name any AA DBs and lockdown corners that you had to go up against. Those would have given Spurrier's offense far more trouble, but the SEC didn't have many of those in the 90s. The SEC defenses in the 90s had a ton of great LBs to stop the run, not defend the quick slants.

Notice you didn't name any AA DBs and lockdown corners that you had to go up against. Those would have given Spurrier's offense far more trouble, but the SEC didn't have many of those in the 90s. The SEC defenses in the 90s had a ton of great LBs to stop the run, not defend the quick slants.

I'm not going to bother with posting every year or every team, or every player, but just know that you're factually FoS. o_O

1990 - UA Opponents Total TD's = 13
Total Pts 127.
1st Downs Rushing - 62
1st Downs Passing - 65
Rushing - 1,007 Yds
Passing - 1,529 Yds

In the 1992 regular season, the Tide defense was averaging giving up 126 passing yards per game.
They had not given up a 1st quarter passing TD all season. :oops:
Antonio Langham was just one of the many.... you clueless moe-ron! :cool:

To further hammer that spike into your chest, try this.... o_O
(I don't expect you to know every SEC team in detail, but you should at least know your own team's history) :cool:

Just UA, not the entire SEC -- Drafted to the NFL

1990 - DB John Mangum - Chicago

1991 - DB Efrum Thomas - Pittsburgh

1993 - S Geroge Teague - Green Bay

1994 - CB Antonio Langham - Cleveland

1995 - S Sam Shade - Cincinnati

1996 - DB Brad Ford - Detroit
1996 - DB Tony Johnson - Philadelphia

1997 - DB Ralph Staten - Baltimore

1998 - DB Deshea Townsend - Pittsburgh

1999 - CB Fernando Bryant - Jacksonville

I'm not going to bother with posting every year or every team, or every player, but just know that you're factually FoS. o_O

1990 - UA Opponents Total TD's = 13
Total Pts 127.
1st Downs Rushing - 62
1st Downs Passing - 65
Rushing - 1,007 Yds
Passing - 1,529 Yds

In the 1992 regular season, the Tide defense was averaging giving up 126 passing yards per game.
They had not given up a 1st quarter passing TD all season. :oops:
Antonio Langham was just one of the many.... you clueless moe-ron! :cool:

Reading your posts is always a treasure. Our defense didn't give up many passing yards because they weren't defending many passes.

That's why you didn't list those great passing QBs that came from the SEC in the 90s.

Like pounding your head on a rock...

Reading your posts is always a treasure. Our defense didn't give up many passing yards because they weren't defending many passes.

That's why you didn't list those great passing QBs that came from the SEC in the 90s.

Like pounding your head on a rock...

I see that you're attempting to dodge your own FoS claim about SEC DB's now... (someone has apparently already been pounding your dumbass head with a rock) :confused:

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others...

Shane Matthews 1990-93

Heath Shuler 1990-93

Danny Wuerffel 1993-96 - Heisman, BCS-NC

Peyton Manning 1994-97 - NFL HoF

Tim Couch 1996-98

Tee Martin 1996-99 - BSC-NC

I see that you're attempting to dodge your own FoS claim about SEC DB's now... (someone has apparently already been pounding your dumbass head with a rock) :confused:

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others...

Shane Matthews 1990-93

Heath Shuler 1990-93

Danny Wuerffel 1993-96 - Heisman, BCS-NC

Peyton Manning 1994-97 - NFL HoF

Tim Couch 1996-98

Tee Martin 1996-99 - BSC-NC

So out of that list I see 2 QBs that had any type of career in the NFL, and I think Matthews was basically a clipboard holder the entire time.

As for Alabama.....I think we had one QB drafted from the 1990s, Jay Barker. Actually I don't even know if he was drafted, he played about a month with the Packers, another month with the Patriots, then quit.

The list of great passing NFL QBs from the SEC in the 1990s seems to begin and end with Peyton Manning. Not too hard to have great passing defenses when no one can throw the ball.

So out of that list I see 2 QBs that had any type of career in the NFL, and I think Matthews was basically a clipboard holder the entire time.

As for Alabama.....I think we had one QB drafted from the 1990s, Jay Barker. Actually I don't even know if he was drafted, he played about a month with the Packers, another month with the Patriots, then quit.

The list of great passing NFL QBs from the SEC in the 1990s seems to begin and end with Peyton Manning. Not too hard to have great passing defenses when no one can throw the ball.

More confetti from the guy with his head pounded to mush with a rock. :oops:
The NFL has nothing to do with SEC QB performance.
I don't recall any NFL QB's playing against SEC defenses in their NFL games. :confused:

i.e. Danny Wuerffel threw 124 TD's for UF. What he did or did not do for the Nefarious Felony Losers doesn't matter to me, I'm a Gator/SEC fan. The fact that a player got drafted speaks to what he did while in the SEC,,, the story ends there. o_O

This list is also incomplete, but it's what I grabbed without much effort. Several of them set school and/or SEC records, and most were drafted. After that, their SEC history ends for the purposes of this discussion. Do try to stay on point for a change... :rolleyes:

Shane Matthews - 1990-93

Stan White 1990-93

Heath Shuler 1990-93

Eric Zeier - 1991-94

Barry Lunney 1992-95

Jamie Howard - 1992-95

Terry Dean - 1993-94

Hines Ward - 1995

Mike Bobo - 1995-97

Herb Tyler - 1995-98

Danny Wuerffel - 1993-96 - Heisman, BCS-NC

Dameyune Craig 1996-97

Clint Stoener 1996-99

Doug Johnson - 1997-99

Romaro Miller 1997-2000

Rohan Davey - 1998-01

Peyton Manning - 1994-97

Tim Couch - 1996-98

Tee Martin -1996-99 - BSC-NC

Jesse Palmer - 1997-2000

Josh Booty - 1999-2000

More confetti from the guy with his head pounded to mush with a rock. :oops:
The NFL has nothing to do with SEC QB performance.
I don't recall any NFL QB's playing against SEC defenses in their NFL games. :confused:

i.e. Danny Wuerffel threw 124 TD's for UF. What he did or did not do for the Nefarious Felony Losers doesn't matter to me, I'm a Gator/SEC fan. The fact that a player got drafted speaks to what he did while in the SEC,,, the story ends there. o_O

This list is also incomplete, but it's what I grabbed without much effort. Several of them set school and/or SEC records, and most were drafted. After that, their SEC history ends for the purposes of this discussion. Do try to stay on point for a change... :rolleyes:

Shane Matthews - 1990-93

Stan White 1990-93

Heath Shuler 1990-93

Eric Zeier - 1991-94

Barry Lunney 1992-95

Jamie Howard - 1992-95

Terry Dean - 1993-94

Hines Ward - 1995

Mike Bobo - 1995-97

Herb Tyler - 1995-98

Danny Wuerffel - 1993-96 - Heisman, BCS-NC

Dameyune Craig 1996-97

Clint Stoener 1996-99

Doug Johnson - 1997-99

Romaro Miller 1997-2000

Rohan Davey - 1998-01

Peyton Manning - 1994-97

Tim Couch - 1996-98

Tee Martin -1996-99 - BSC-NC

Jesse Palmer - 1997-2000

Josh Booty - 1999-2000

Now list their years in the NFL. You didn't because most of them were never drafted and the ones that were barely played.

Hell you've got Hines Ward listed as one of the best QBs to come from the SEC in the 90s. LOL

Now list their years in the NFL. You didn't because most of them were never drafted and the ones that were barely played.

Hell you've got Hines Ward listed as one of the best QBs to come from the SEC in the 90s. LOL

You're too stupid to talk to. You demonstrate that your reading comp is about 3rd grade level, along with the attention span of a sugared up 1st grader. I might just need to put you on ignore soon... o_O

Let's see now, Hines Ward negates that entire list of SEC QB's in your limited ability to process information... :cool:
While you prattle on about the irrelevant NFL... :rolleyes:

As a wide receiver for the University of GeorgiaBulldogs (1994–1997), Ward's 149 career receptions for 1,965 yards placed him second in team history. He also played tailback and totaled 3,870 all-purpose yards, second only to Herschel Walker in Bulldogs history. In 1996, Ward had 52 receptions for 900 yards, and also ran 26 times for 170 yards, 6.5 YPC. In 1997, he hauled in 55 passes for 715 yards and scored six touchdowns while, and also ran 30 times for 223 yards 7.4 YPC, getting All-SEC honors in the process.

He was so good at other positions that they didn't use him much at QB, just when he was needed. His talent level was so high that he could just step right in and play QB at an SEC level.

Ward played some quarterback his sophomore year, and holds Georgia bowl game records for pass attempts, pass completions, and passing yards in the 1995 Peach Bowl in which he completed 31 of 59 passes for 413 yards, 13.3 Yds/Comp.

He could have played QB full time, but they had others to play QB, while nobody else could do what he was doing at his other positions.
You truly are an idiot aren't you? (rhetorical) :cool:

You're too stupid to talk to. You demonstrate that your reading comp is about 3rd grade level, along with the attention span of a sugared up 1st grader. I might just need to put you on ignore soon... o_O

Insta you leave pretty much this same reply to every poster here that disagrees with anything you write. It's as if you are so insecure over your opinions being challenged that you try to immediately start name-calling since you feel like you have a better chance there.

Yes, Hines Ward did play some QB at Georgia. How many snaps did he take at QB in the NFL? The fact that you had to include him on your list of 'QBs' sent to the NFL from the SEC in the 1990s kinda proves my point that the SEC really didn't produce much more than Peyton Manning.

Again, SEC defenses in the 1990s were built to stop the run, not the pass. It's precisely why Spurrier's Fun N Gun offense worked so well, the conference had never seen anything like it and defenses were ill-equipped to handle it.

Are we discussing the stats and wins Florida put up against SEC defenses or are we discussing that Florida ran into a guantlant of strong talent that took a toll the nagging and big injuries by the time Florida faced FSU.

I don't care to make excuses. Win when you play. Florida had nearly even success vs FSU in the 90's. Miami is the only other team who can claim similar. Their dynasty would have been more than it was had Spurrier and Florida not beat them when they did.

The battle cry was Florida played tough competition for most of the day the year while Florida State had a watered down AAC schedule back then.

I'm not debating on what other SEC defenses were set up to defend. In the 90's NFL and All American talent was on more defenses in the SEC compared to that of the ACC.

But Champ Bailey, Deshea Townsend, a couple of guys scattered on Fulmers UT teams were good DB's.

Sure Dieon Sanders would hold down passing stats but he wouldn't take a toll on any offensive player physically like a Taeko Spikes would.

Are we discussing the stats and wins Florida put up against SEC defenses or are we discussing that Florida ran into a guantlant of strong talent that took a toll the nagging and big injuries by the time Florida faced FSU.

I don't care to make excuses. Win when you play. Florida had nearly even success vs FSU in the 90's. Miami is the only other team who can claim similar. Their dynasty would have been more than it was had Spurrier and Florida not beat them when they did.

The battle cry was Florida played tough competition for most of the day the year while Florida State had a watered down AAC schedule back then.

I'm not debating on what other SEC defenses were set up to defend. In the 90's NFL and All American talent was on more defenses in the SEC compared to that of the ACC.

But Champ Bailey, Deshea Townsend, a couple of guys scattered on Fulmers UT teams were good DB's.

Sure Dieon Sanders would hold down passing stats but he wouldn't take a toll on any offensive player physically like a Taeko Spikes would.

If you're wanting to say that Florida faced tougher defenses in the SEC in the 90s than FSU did in the ACC in the 90s, I would agree with that. I was just making the point that SEC defenses in the 90s were built to stop the run, not the pass.

Ironically, this point also applies to Mullen's Top 25 record at Miss State. When you are playing 4 Top 25 teams a year, it's tougher to win them than it is when you play 1 a year.

Insta you leave pretty much this same reply to every poster here that disagrees with anything you write. It's as if you are so insecure over your opinions being challenged that you try to immediately start name-calling since you feel like you have a better chance there.

Yes, Hines Ward did play some QB at Georgia. How many snaps did he take at QB in the NFL? The fact that you had to include him on your list of 'QBs' sent to the NFL from the SEC in the 1990s kinda proves my point that the SEC really didn't produce much more than Peyton Manning.

Again, SEC defenses in the 1990s were built to stop the run, not the pass. It's precisely why Spurrier's Fun N Gun offense worked so well, the conference had never seen anything like it and defenses were ill-equipped to handle it.

Clueless and boring is an ugly combination.
:confused:

I proved you wrong on 1990's DB's in the SEC.
I then proved you wrong on 1990's passing QB's in the SEC
The fact that you tried to duck or ignore being FoS is your problem, not mine.

IF you can't take your own 'well deserved' criticism for your inability to assemble a cogent argument, along with your inability to follow a train of thought, then don't engage me or my posts. Otherwise, I'll continue to hammer your posting stupidity. Your confetti won't distract me, nor will your whining about how I post concerning your 'village idiot' bs. o_O

The SEC in the 90's, put more DB's into the NFL than any other conference,,, by far. o_O SEC defenses do both, defend the run and the pass. Being one dimensional will not win championships in the SEC.

The SEC had a long list of very good passing QB's, and a load of AA WR's.

Feel free to continue to talk about the NFL, since that's what you seem to be interested in. Doing that on an NFL site would be even better...

Clueless and boring is an ugly combination. :confused:

Feel free to continue to talk about the NFL, since that's what you seem to be interested in. Doing that on an NFL site would be even better...

Actually, you're the one that introduced SEC players being drafted into the NFL in this thread. Remember that was when you were talking about that great Georgia QB that was drafted to the NFL.....Hines Ward.

If you're wanting to say that Florida faced tougher defenses in the SEC in the 90s than FSU did in the ACC in the 90s, I would agree with that. I was just making the point that SEC defenses in the 90s were built to stop the run, not the pass.

Ironically, this point also applies to Mullen's Top 25 record at Miss State. When you are playing 4 Top 25 teams a year, it's tougher to win them than it is when you play 1 a year.
Basically during the 90's UF faced physical teams and talented teams. FSU did face some good Miami teams some other good OOC teams and maybe like 1 good ACC team scattered in such as a Mack Brown UNC or O'Leary GT...or NC State when they had Rivers, Holt, and such. I've argued in another thread UT in the 90's was nearly on par with Miami. Any AAC team that had something usually werent as good as some Auburn teams and a few scattered in SEC teams.

Basically FSU worried about Miami early and could prepare for UF the rest of the season.

Not really denying that UF had an offense that most SEC teams weren't built to go against. However there were a few good DB's that decade amongst SEC teams. Both sides of the ball UF faced physical teams. Even Vanderbilt played physical.

Reactions: instaGATOR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT