ADVERTISEMENT

SEC basketball no joke

NorthJerseyGator

Gator Great
Sep 17, 2010
Everybody bemoaning our season start and trashing on White but being 2-3 in SEC play......we lost at the buzzer to 5-1 USC, we made a game and had a good chance to beat #1 in the land 5-0 UT, we lost to ranked and solid MSU 2-3 in a close one. Arky ain't that great and UGa just plain sucks so we beat those two.

We don't suck as bad as some think. FSU, Okie, Mich St all solid squads that we lost too. Butler not good but we avenged that loss big time.

Schedule is hard AF guys, SEC ain't no joke nowadays. Doesn't mean we suck.

Now we better beat aTm or we do suck because we got 3 straight ranked SEC games up, haha.

Got two 5 stars and a high 4 star coming in next season? To go with the three current freshmen that are getting tons of playing time this year and getting seasoned for next year.

Sorry but we suck. Just watch us play for 2 minutes and you can tell we suck.
This game we do suck. We almost beat #1 UT, #6 Mich St, 5-1 in SEC USC, yet getting balled out of our own gym by 1-4 SEC aTm, I don't get it. Team is mentally weak and has no pulse.

7-9 AM team that scored 43 last game is crushing us at half on our home court. We will need a miracle in 2nd half

Now that we are back in the game, let's turn it up on the defensive end. We will have one of our usual droughts, so we need to keep them down.

Late and the game is tight. We've struggled in these situations. Had an 8 point lead, our guys are gassed and Mike White waits too long to call a time out. AM runs off 4 straight then he decides to call a TO. He's got to get better down the stretch as a coach.

At 3-3 in SEC we are ahead of ranked Auburn, ranked Miss St.......we are 6th out of 14 teams and this after we've been sucking......so once we stop sucking, and maybe tonight we turned the corner, we will be contending for SEC.....it's not as bad as we've made it.

Let's see what our record is after the next 5 games - at TCU, Ole Miss & KY at home, at Auburn & at Tennessee. They could lose them all and be 11-12, 3-7 in the SEC. I don't see them winning more than 2 of those games. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

We had to get that win. Still alive for a berth. A 2-4 start would have been fatal.

Still think it might take 8 - 4 the rest of the way to be assured a spot.

Sorry but we suck. Just watch us play for 2 minutes and you can tell we suck.

This game we do suck. We almost beat #1 UT, #6 Mich St, 5-1 in SEC USC, yet getting balled out of our own gym by 1-4 SEC aTm, I don't get it. Team is mentally weak and has no pulse.

7-9 AM team that scored 43 last game is crushing us at half on our home court. We will need a miracle in 2nd half

Late and the game is tight. We've struggled in these situations. Had an 8 point lead, our guys are gassed and Mike White waits too long to call a time out. AM runs off 4 straight then he decides to call a TO. He's got to get better down the stretch as a coach.

At 3-3 in SEC we are ahead of ranked Auburn, ranked Miss St.......we are 6th out of 14 teams and this after we've been sucking......so once we stop sucking, and maybe tonight we turned the corner, we will be contending for SEC.....it's not as bad as we've made it.

More likely it's just you guys that's sucking as 'all weather' Gator fans... o_O
UF 81 - 72 aTm :p

I agree that we're probably better than the perception around here. We've played a bunch of tight games against good teams and unfortunately lost every one of them. I also agree that we're going to have a tough time getting to two games over .500 in league, which I think is the least we can win and have a chance at a tourney bid (unless we win the SECT, which is a possibility, given that we're coin flips with just about everybody in league). That means we need 7 wins out of the next 12 league games.

Figure Mizzou, Vandy and UGA are must-wins and @Tenn and @UK are losses. I figure (pretty generously) that the following are coin flips: Miss; UK; @Bama; @LSU; @Van; and LSU. So We have to to 4-2 in those games, which is definitely tough but not impossible. It wouldn't shock me to go 3-3 through those games, so we need to turn one loss into a win. @TCU is probably a loss but an opportunity for a big road win.

I feel like we were having this same conversation a year ago. But we're in worse shape this year. We have a tough schedule this year but no good wins.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I agree that we're probably better than the perception around here. We've played a bunch of tight games against good teams and unfortunately lost every one of them. I also agree that we're going to have a tough time getting to two games over .500 in league, which I think is the least we can win and have a chance at a tourney bid (unless we win the SECT, which is a possibility, given that we're coin flips with just about everybody in league). That means we need 7 wins out of the next 12 league games.

Figure Mizzou, Vandy and UGA are must-wins and @Tenn and @UK are losses. I figure (pretty generously) that the following are coin flips: Miss; UK; @Bama; @LSU; @Van; and LSU. So We have to to 4-2 in those games, which is definitely tough but not impossible. It wouldn't shock me to go 3-3 through those games, so we need to turn one loss into a win. @TCU is probably a loss but an opportunity for a big road win.

I feel like we were having this same conversation a year ago. But we're in worse shape this year. We have a tough schedule this year but no good wins.
Good analysis, but I think you're being overly optimistic. I'll be surprised if we end with a winning record. Hope I'm wrong.

Mike's had 3 consecutive 20+ win seasons, an NIt, a Rnd of 32, and and Elite-8.
As a new SEC/UF coach, he's loooog overdue for an off season, likely another NIT.
While I'd never NIT-Pick any tourney ;), I'm still holding out for a 14-16 seed to the NCAA.

Can't count on Allen & Locke hitting 15/23 from 3 to win games against better teams than TAM. My prediction is that we win 4-5 more games and finish either 15-16 or 16-15 and needing to win at least 1 game in the SEC tourney to make the NIT. Lack of big men will kill us against better teams and we just can't win much relying on only Allen & Locke, as good as they are. I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: PacoGator19

This small ball lineup from the last few games may be what we needed. Stone out means we will keep it up so perhaps a silver lining.....assuming it continues to work (almost beat #1 UT with it and went loose and fun vs aTm with it as opposed to prior games where we were so tight and slow methodical on offense).

Reactions: bradleygator
Can't count on Allen & Locke hitting 15/23 from 3 to win games against better teams than TAM. My prediction is that we win 4-5 more games and finish either 15-16 or 16-15 and needing to win at least 1 game in the SEC tourney to make the NIT. Lack of big men will kill us against better teams and we just can't win much relying on only Allen & Locke, as good as they are. I would love to be wrong.
Hudson needs to get his sh(t together......just need one or two of those three to be money on any given night.

Good analysis, but I think you're being overly optimistic. I'll be surprised if we end with a winning record. Hope I'm wrong.

Definitely overly optimistic. If we hit threes, we can beat anybody. If we don't, we can lose to anyone. We need one more shooter to join Locke and Allen. Coming in, we all figured Nembhard could be that guy and also that Hudson would chip in. Hudson has been a zero, although showing some faint glimpses of light, and Nembhard has been a disappointing shooter, although a good player overall. I mean his shots don't even come close anymore.

Yep looking at it again and with the top of the SEC being pretty good this season 10-8 would probably be enough for a bid. So 7-5 the rest of the way would do it but the schedule is getting tougher now.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
Well, 16 wins would equal BillyD's last season at UF. o_O

I'm willing to put aside this season,,, (Egbunu gone, Dak a no-show, C.Johnson gone, Stone now gone for the season, and Hudson lost in space), while I'm really looking forward to next year.

I think that Mike is doing exceptionally well, all things (roster) considered. :cool:

This team is piss poor at shooting the ball.

Hard to believe we thought Hudson might be a late 2nd round pick last season as he has been terrible.

This team is piss poor at shooting the ball.

Hard to believe we thought Hudson might be a late 2nd round pick last season as he has been terrible.

WE???
o_O You got a rat in your pocket? :cool:

While I didn't expect this kind of drop-off in Hudson's game, I didn't and still don't, think that any of the upperclassmen will be drafted to the NBA. o_O

WE??? o_O You got a rat in your pocket? :cool:

While I didn't expect this kind of drop-off in Hudson's game, I didn't and still don't, think that any of the upperclassmen will be drafted to the NBA. o_O

Well I will give you that you said "if drafted" when referring to him while most thought he would be. It sounded like he pulled his name before the deadline after seeing what feedback he received.

The way it's turned out Hudson made a mistake coming back. Based on the feedback he got last year he wasn't going to get drafted (they only have 2 rounds), but surely would have been offered a free agent contract or could have gone to Europe, made decent money and honed his skills. His performance this year has hurt his pro chances a lot. Too bad.

Everybody bemoaning our season start and trashing on White but being 2-3 in SEC play......we lost at the buzzer to 5-1 USC, we made a game and had a good chance to beat #1 in the land 5-0 UT, we lost to ranked and solid MSU 2-3 in a close one. Arky ain't that great and UGa just plain sucks so we beat those two.

We don't suck as bad as some think. FSU, Okie, Mich St all solid squads that we lost too. Butler not good but we avenged that loss big time.

Schedule is hard AF guys, SEC ain't no joke nowadays. Doesn't mean we suck.

Now we better beat aTm or we do suck because we got 3 straight ranked SEC games up, haha.

Got two 5 stars and a high 4 star coming in next season? To go with the three current freshmen that are getting tons of playing time this year and getting seasoned for next year.

This isnt football, oh wait the ACC is better there too lol

Reactions: nail1988
Florida has played a scheduled ranked the 13th-toughest in the country, according to KenPom.com. In terms of opposing offenses, the Gators have played the 8th-most difficult slate nationally.

So despite its 11-8 record, UF is ranked No. 26 in KenPom, as well as 37th in the first-year NET metric that replaced the Ratings Percentage Index as the data that will determine the 2019 NCAA Tournament field.

Florida is 0-6 against NET Top 40 opponents, with losses to Michigan State (No. 3), Tennessee (6th), Oklahoma (26th), TCU (25th), Mississippi State (28th) and Florida State (34th). With the exception of the season-opening drubbing on the road against the Seminoles, the other five were one-possession games inside two minutes.

The SEC just isn't as good as they've finally tried to make it out to be like it's deep, they are a year or two late on that. The perception of deep league is in reality just a bunch of VERY mediocre teams. There's only one legit team in Conference, UK will just look better than they are from beating these mediocre teams when they are down more than they really ever are in reality too. South Carolina starting 5-1 they've tried to use as an example of a deep league, when it's the opposite really.

Auburn is 3rd best team and been ranked around top 12 all year off and on, and started 2-4 in league. Vandy, Mizzou. A&M, Bama, SC, UF, arkansas, Ole Miss. Those are all just a bunch of average teams at best, Miss State is too but have been ranked and highest ranking since I was in school there, Ole Miss being ranked last week was a farce as well. There were 6 teams ranked to the Big 12's 3 overall, while some of the teams didn't even play in the challenge, I saw what I expected in it with the SEC getting beat up in that. Just don't think the conference is even as good as it has been, just very mediocre in middle and bad in bottom this year, yet they are getting talk as soo good for Tournament teams. I think most of them won't get anywhere in tournament, but luckily for SEC teams, the entire field seems down with only one really good/great team in whole field this year. Duke should Villanova everyone through March if they are healthy and it shouldn't really be too close.

Reactions: fsu939913
Our offense is pretty bad. Probably at the bottom of the SEC. Defense plays good but you have to have some offense when you need it. It seemed our issue against KY was not kicking the ball out to the open players for the shot. At least we drove to the basket quite a bit this game but you still have to be smart with taking those shots.

Going 1 for 9 at the Arc late in the game killed them, as did shooting 27.3% FG's in the 2nd half. When a team is not making there wide-open shots, then the coach's play calls and the style of offense don't really matter much. :rolleyes:

Going 1 for 9 at the Arc late in the game killed them, as did shooting 27.3% FG's in the 2nd half. When a team is not making there wide-open shots, then the coach's play calls and the style of offense don't really matter much. :rolleyes:

Yep White has no blame - the players just don't have it. Maybe he should tell us all how its mostly on them again in his press conference.

Gawd this fevered brain tries to talk out of both sides of his mouth, using his forked tongue to do it. :rolleyes: (you're almost as dumb as taco-breath (paco19) when it comes to Mike White)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT