ADVERTISEMENT

Republican led Congressional Maps Rejected by the SCOTUS

Competed at what? Trolling free political forums?
Business at a high level I still do. This is an echo chamber not a political forum. You bozos bounce nonsense off of each other for some confirmation bias. There is nothing complex about this forum.

Just to put some color on this 26% of Bama is black, it’s roughly 50/50 Dems to pubs yet 7/8 congressional seats are pubs. Doesn’t necessarily mean they are cheating but it certainly cannot be ruled out and should be looked at. It’s just maff people

7 Congressional districts in Alabama Mr. Competed at a high level.

At issue...25% of Alabamians are black. However, only 1 out of 7 districts are majority black.

It seems to me that the court found that the districts were gerrymandered. The solution? More gerrymandering, of course.

Perhaps that's over simplified but that's what I'm hearing.
My read is gerrymandering is happening. The Libs, who have done a better job at throwing money at lower circuit court races and wanted to shift power to challenge gerrymandering legally.

Republicans have stronger state legislatures and wanted the power to create election regulations in the place where they thought the Constitution assigned the power.

This ruling says no, the courts do have jurisdiction but they cannot override the role of making laws and regulations…the SL is still in the driver’s seat.

Read this (I can’t hold but I used asterisks):
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the theory, with Chief Justice Roberts writing the Elections Clause "does not insulate state legislatures from the ordinary exercise of state judicial review."Justices Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Samuel Alito dissented.

"In interpreting state law in this area, ••••state courts may not so exceed the bounds of ordinary judicial review as to unconstitutionally intrude upon the role specifically reserved to state legislatures by Article I, Section 4, of the Federal Constitution•••••," Roberts wrote.

My read is, courts still can do their job but nothing more. SL is still the governing body in election rules and laws.

At issue...25% of Alabamians are black. However, only 1 out of 7 districts are majority black.

It seems to me that the court found that the districts were gerrymandered. The solution? More gerrymandering, of course.

Perhaps that's over simplified but that's what I'm hearing.
There's good gerrymandering and there's bad gerrymandering.

My read is gerrymandering is happening. The Libs, who have done a better job at throwing money at lower circuit court races and wanted to shift power to challenge gerrymandering legally.

Republicans have stronger state legislatures and wanted the power to create election regulations in the place where they thought the Constitution assigned the power.

This ruling says no, the courts do have jurisdiction but they cannot override the role of making laws and regulations…the SL is still in the driver’s seat.

Read this (I can’t hold but I used asterisks):
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected the theory, with Chief Justice Roberts writing the Elections Clause "does not insulate state legislatures from the ordinary exercise of state judicial review."Justices Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch and Samuel Alito dissented.

"In interpreting state law in this area, ••••state courts may not so exceed the bounds of ordinary judicial review as to unconstitutionally intrude upon the role specifically reserved to state legislatures by Article I, Section 4, of the Federal Constitution•••••," Roberts wrote.

My read is, courts still can do their job but nothing more. SL is still the governing body in election rules and laws.

That's a pretty good explanation. Thanks.

You really don’t understand gerrymandering.

Both sides do it the exact same way and it’s “racist” in the exact same way.

The goal is to spread your votes evenly so you get the most districts possible.

So you are accusing the R’s of putting all of the black votes into the same district so it goes 90/10 dem so those votes don’t go to more balanced districts and flip them.

What in the hell do you think the democrats do!? The SAME THING. They count on the black vote being 92% democrat so they try to spread those votes into less democrat-heavy districts to capture more seats in the house.

Both parties are doing the same thing, the same way, but when Republicans do it it’s racist.

Do you sense a pattern here?
No you don't understand gerrymandering. Both parties gerrymander but only one side tend to focus on race, in which the courts called them out on it.

The courts never said that you can't gerrymander. Just don't do it by race and you'll be fine.

Why is that difficult to understand?

Boy sure seems like lots of people race baiting and none of them get suspended....

Isn't this exactly what you threatened me with via private message Fresno?

To the point of this post and its inherent misinformation on racial demogrpahics in voting

Up until the passage of the Civil Rights Acts blacks did indeed vote much more for the republican party than they do today. And like EVERY OTHER group in America if their interests are not being met by a particular party they will vote against that party.

That's what happened when conservative whites did not vote for the CRA
Black people rejected white conservatism and began voting heavily for the liberals that supported the CRA

Black voting has been that way ever since

So to answer rascist ron's dumbass question...

"What have they ever got for their vote?"

Answer: The Civil RIghts Act
Captain is the king of racial comments. That man hates black democrats more than anything.

The civil rights act was needed then and it's still needed now.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
You’re gaslighting Kalim.

Both of us posted the exact same SCOTUS ruling, the only person to bring up the lower court’s ruling was you….and I’m still trying to figure out why.

Neither Justice mentioned race in their rulings. Previous cases did involve race issues in gerrymandering but the law had nothing to do race or racism here - it was an interpretation of what role state courts can play in election laws.

Roberts and the majority ruled that the legislature is in the driver’s seat, but that they can be checked by the state courts. But those courts cannot act as lawmakers, they can only review challenges to laws made by the legislature. I have heard some legal analysis that this ruling could actually play out in the legislature’s favor because it narrowly defines their power…although it feels like a loss because the argument was that they had none.

If the justices mentioned race so much give me a quote from their opinion that even mentions it. It wasn’t even on their radar…one that isn’t case law being cited. If you need me to explain that to you just ask, I’d be happy to help.

Or you could save yourself the time and admit you’re in over your head, and another race bait attempt fell short.
Wtf are you talking about. I never said a damn thing about the lower courts. Stop being dishonest. You brought up NC ruling and that was electors not race.

I gave you multiple quotes from Thomas mentioning race and Roberts mentioning race. You do understand how an judicial opinion work? Right?

They write opinions based on laws. The lawyers argue based on laws. The lawyers will argue how the racial maps violates that law. The courts will say whether or not that law was violated.

I'm not sure why you are so determined to not accept that both cases were about race. Both lawyers for the winning side argued race. They presented data that spoke to race..race, race race. The courts took all that information and ruled. So how did they not see the racial component when that was the basis of the lawsuit?

Maybe you hate racial stuff so much, you try too hard to be obtuse.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
Wtf are you talking about. I never said a damn thing about the lower courts. Stop being dishonest. You brought up NC ruling and that was electors not race.

I gave you multiple quotes from Thomas mentioning race and Roberts mentioning race. You do understand how an judicial opinion work? Right?

They write opinions based on laws. The lawyers argue based on laws. The lawyers will argue how the racial maps violates that law. The courts will say whether or not that law was violated.

I'm not sure why you are so determined to not accept that both cases were about race. Both lawyers for the winning side argued race. They presented data that spoke to race..race, race race. The courts took all that information and ruled. So how did they not see the racial component when that was the basis of the lawsuit?

Maybe you hate racial stuff so much, you try too hard to be obtuse.
I never brought up NC, you did. Read back. I posted the same SCOTUS ruling you did before you did. WTH are you even talking about?

And the precedent is established through previous rulings. This is known as "case law". It doesn't mean laws were necessarily created from those cases, just decisions.

Nowhere in either Robert's or Thomas' opinion did THEY bring up race. Because their decision had NOTHING to do with race. It had to do with what body in a state is in control of making election rules. Prove me wrong, pull a statement from either decision where - in their own words, not another case - they even bring it up.

And why isn't it about race? Because gerrymandering is racist by your definition no matter which party does it. It hinges on tying minority groups to their voting patterns and allocating them most effectively to win as many districts as possible. Both parties do it.

And I don't "hate race stuff" - I hate fake race stuff.

BTW, what was the race of the Justice who wrote the dissent? You refuse to answer that question because it shatters your assertion that this is all about race.

No you don't understand gerrymandering. Both parties gerrymander but only one side tend to focus on race, in which the courts called them out on it.

The courts never said that you can't gerrymander. Just don't do it by race and you'll be fine.

Why is that difficult to understand?
OK I'll play

How and why do democrats gerrymander? What's the point and how do they execute it?

It’s not racist but I really wish the black vote were more evenly split, does say a bit about the pubs not being able to triangulate the math here. Like I said they have far more racists voting for them. Still they should do better.
ON THE CONTRARY...it is a dead giveaway about the people voting.

I never brought up NC, you did. Read back. I posted the same SCOTUS ruling you did before you did. WTH are you even talking about?

And the precedent is established through previous rulings. This is known as "case law". It doesn't mean laws were necessarily created from those cases, just decisions.

Nowhere in either Robert's or Thomas' opinion did THEY bring up race. Because their decision had NOTHING to do with race. It had to do with what body in a state is in control of making election rules. Prove me wrong, pull a statement from either decision where - in their own words, not another case - they even bring it up.

And why isn't it about race? Because gerrymandering is racist by your definition no matter which party does it. It hinges on tying minority groups to their voting patterns and allocating them most effectively to win as many districts as possible. Both parties do it.

And I don't "hate race stuff" - I hate fake race stuff.

BTW, what was the race of the Justice who wrote the dissent? You refuse to answer that question because it shatters your assertion that this is all about race.
Post 13, the link you provided was to the NC ruling...

OK I'll play

How and why do democrats gerrymander? What's the point and how do they execute it?
By voter districts and population.

I'm not saying that all Republicans states do it race but when it's done by race and it impacts black people negatively, it's the Republicans. Just look at the courts. Them the facts.

• Haha
Reactions: fatman76
Post 13, the link you provided was to the NC ruling...
That was SCOTUS ruling, it came from a NC lower court appeal. But what difference does that make? Which is why I never brought up where it came from, once it hits SCOTUS it doesn't matter.

The big ruling on 6/27 (you know, yesterday) that everyone was up in arms about was Moore vs Harper. Allen v Milligan was early June, which is the one you posted yesterday like it was big new news 😆 . Remember my comment that you can't read dates very well? Well I'm the idiot for assuming you were talking about the right SCOTUS ruling. Lesson learned.

So now that you know which ruling we're talking about, find me the passage where Roberts or Thomas mentioned race, and please get back to me on how racist the dissenting Justice is. It's driving me crazy. I have to understand that.

By voter districts and population.

I'm not saying that all Republicans states do it race but when it's done by race and it impacts black people negatively, it's the Republicans. Just look at the courts. Them the facts.
"By voter districts" makes about as much sense as "NIL", which I will never let you live down.

It's the racial makeup of those districts based on how the people are expected to vote. The method and the result are the exact same. Just because dems cry racism in court and republicans don't doesn't mean it's not racist when they do it.

Them the facts 😆

That was SCOTUS ruling, it came from a NC lower court appeal. But what difference does that make? Which is why I never brought up where it came from, once it hits SCOTUS it doesn't matter.

The big ruling on 6/27 (you know, yesterday) that everyone was up in arms about was Moore vs Harper. Allen v Milligan was early June, which is the one you posted yesterday like it was big new news 😆 . Remember my comment that you can't read dates very well? Well I'm the idiot for assuming you were talking about the right SCOTUS ruling. Lesson learned.

So now that you know which ruling we're talking about, find me the passage where Roberts or Thomas mentioned race, and please get back to me on how racist the dissenting Justice is. It's driving me crazy. I have to understand that.
I posted the rulings that my thread was about;

Allen vs Milligan.

I didn't post anything about Moore vs Harper. So I don't have anything to say about it. Start a thread about it and see if I comment on it haha

Now back to Allen vs Milligan, I did post both side mentioning race. Go to post 18. Roberts said minority voters (black people) and Thomas straight up said "black voters".

It's the racial makeup of those districts based on how the people are expected to vote. The method and the result are the exact same. Just because dems cry racism in court and republicans don't doesn't mean it's not racist when they do it.

Them the facts 😆

When 80 to 90+% of a race vote for one party, gerrymandering would ultimately involve race.

If 85% of white people voted for the Republican Party, you could say that gerrymandering their vote would be racially discriminatory. Since 85% of white people don't vote for either party, that won't work.

Reactions: fatman76
"By voter districts" makes about as much sense as "NIL", which I will never let you live down.

Them the facts 😆
You do know that NIL was joke, right? you seriously couldn't figure that out.

There is no evidence that the Dems gerrymander based on race, zero.

There is no evidence that the Dems gerrymander based on race, zero.

LOL, there would be no point. If "only" 80% of black people voted for Democrats, that would be characterized as a VERY poor showing for the Dems.

And white voters are fairly evenly split between Dems and Republicans so how would you gerrymander the white vote based on race? Why would you? To what end?

This is silly. But you knew that.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdfgator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT