ADVERTISEMENT

RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU SUPPORT THE HIRING OF CHIP KELLY...

no one will care who's on or not when we start winning the second he would be our coach and hired...

I think Frost is better than chip, especially long term, cant see chip staying longer than 4 yrs, Frost could be a 15 yr guy. If the Gators get either of these guys those, they will improve and be better than they are now.

I do think Frost is your best option though

How many coaches stay anywhere 15 years? It almost never happens. Not sure why people associate youth with staying someplace longer. If anything the younger they are the more likely it is they move on to something else faster because they'll want to try their hand at something while they have the chance, see numerous college coaches who try the NFL to wet their appetite. Or move to another job because their current situation got stale.

How many coaches stay anywhere 15 years? It almost never happens. Not sure why people associate youth with staying someplace longer. If anything the younger they are the more likely it is they move on to something else faster because they'll want to try their hand at something while they have the chance, see numerous college coaches who try the NFL to wet their appetite. Or move to another job because their current situation got stale.
Truth.

If you think about it Kelly is definitely the safer pick out of him and Frost even though I think Frost will keep winning a lot of games even when he goes to a power 5 team.

I’d be happy with either. I’d prefer Frost, even though Kelly is the safer bet. Frost seems more in the Mike White/Kevin O’Sullivan mild and for that reason probably a better fit at UF. Chips obviously a hired gun, although a very good one. If he could repeat the Meyer years, good and bad, I’d sign up for it.

Reactions: sadgator
FOR:

All of us.

AGAINST:

Insta.

C’mon you wacky sumbitch...Get on this train or we are leaving your ass at the station! You are missing an excellent opportunity to make friends on this deal!!!!!!

On a train with you twits? I'd get E-motion sickness fo-sho....

puke-smiley-emoticon.gif

Plus I'd rather just keep on making fun of you idiot twits and/or circle jerkers instead..

facebook-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'd settle for having the next Saban....one decade down, numerous titles and chances at titles, no signs of leaving....

I am not against him. But he is not my first choice.

1. Most people say he does not like recruiting. Huge red flag
2. Does not seem to very fan friendly or booster friendly.
3. His passing offenses have been mediocre.
4. He did get into NCAA trouble.

Scott Frost is my first choice.

A lot of Noles are advising against Kelly.
Kelly would be successful, no doubt...My daughter goes to UF, and I think getting aboard the Lane Train would be the best course of action...If you don't get him, UT may well bring him back!

Nothing wrong with having Frost #1, he is my clear #2.

Recruiting wise, no worries. SS is doing what I said Folly needed to do after Chump and making a splash hire. I would wager this transition class will be better than anything Mac ever had here.

The winning will probably make you forget 1-4.

Reactions: BayAreaGator
True enough. But he won't win enough to make us forget #s 2-4 if he cannot be successful @ #1

What does Compugator think about hiring Kelly? Curious to hear his take on this.
I've merely computed the game, not played it at any significant level. But that conceded:

I think Kelly would be among the best de facto candidates for UF football head coach. If he's a reflective person, his time at ESPN might've caused him to resolve to change specific aspects of his coaching to the advantage of a future team, assuming that he can land another college h.c. job with good prospects--for which it woud be a rare school that could exceed UF.

At Oregon, which for many decades had been a rain-soaked backwater downtrodden in Pac-n football, Kelly (h.c. 2009--2012) coached his teams to AP-Poll season-ending rankings #11, #3, #4, #2 (respectively). Those accomplishments were comparable to Charley Pell (or was it Danny Ford?) coaching decades-downtrodden Clemson to a late 1970s/early 1980s mythical national championship.

I defer to postings by ‘Oozie’, which insist that Kelly's offense is a terrific match to the athletic skills that prevail in UF's recruiting base. I'm most inclined to the Spurrier-Pancoast-offense myself, so I hope that Kelly's staff is open-minded enough to crank up the video from Spurrier's offense, which the Evil Genius confirmed last week [‡] is still accessible in the UF football offices, and figure out (maybe with consultation from Wuerffel or Matthews) how to fit the best of it into a Kelly offense and its terminology.

But I'm uncomfortable with persistent reports of Kelly's dislike for recruiting. I have no doubt that it could be an irritation & distraction for a head coach trying to focus on winning the current season's games, but it seems that sometimes, the tipping-point for favorably leaning-but-wavering high-school players is to get their ego puffed up by personal contact from the head coach. Can our Gators return to effective recruiting success if Saban's helicopter lands unopposed, or Jimbo hangs out, at a crucial recruit's home, while Kelly isolates himself in his office in G'ville, munching on Yankee comfort-food? I hope his recruiting will be more congenial than a repeat of the trade-off UF accepted from Meyer: Commanding grudging respect as a dominant football coach, but earning gut-level dislike from high-school coaches as an "obnoxiously arrogant Yankee".

I'm also uncomfortable with Kelly being a New Hampshire native, thus presumably completely unfamiliar with Southern culture ("college football ain't a matter of life and death--it's more important than that!"), who might be clueless about the dramatic contrast with the excessive mellowness of Pac-12 football north of the Tehachapi Range (or for mariners: Pt. Conception), and who might have been reared to eat fried chicken with a knife & fork [†].

All in all, yes, I'll celebrate a UF hiring [×] of Chip Kelly as football head coach--if it actually happens.

-------
Note †: Nostalgic Blast from the Past for any Gator, um, senior enough to have dined at the College Inn (independent cafeteria on University Ave.? | Blvd.?) and who, as a naïve underclassman, ever fed a Yankee date who chose the C.I.'s fried chicken, and ate it using only the aforementioned flatware.

Note ##: Phil Steele 2017 Annual.

Note ‡: NonITG Nov. 10 article originally cited by URL by another ITG member. <[elsewhere]/11/10/2017/steve-spurrier-opens-up-about-jim-mcelwain-florida-football-gators-coaching-search/>.

Note ×: Oh Lord, please, even at the cost of more years of my burning in Purgatory, don't let UF sign Strong or Kiffin as our replacement football head coach!

Last edited:

Not at a destination job like UF? Fsu has had 2 coaches in 50 yrs. Spurrier was at uf how long? It can happen if you get the right fit.

Not at a destination job like UF? Fsu has had 2 coaches in 50 yrs. Spurrier was at uf how long? It can happen if you get the right fit.

Yea but Bowden took up how many of those 50 years? And that was just a different time. The days of coaches like Bowden and Paterno being around somewhere for multiple decades are gone. In part because with all the rhe money being paid to coaches now fans nor AD's have the patience to endure down seasons. Hell look at Jimbo, one down season and y'all are ready to move on. Spurrier was also an alum and even then he said himself the shelf life for a coach at one place should be 10 years. It just doesn't really happen where a coach is somewhere foe 15 years.

The majority of coaches flame out so they're gone in 4-5 years and really successful ones get poached (NFL or other schools) or move on to new challenges after a period of time.

Yea but Bowden took up how many of those 50 years? And that was just a different time. The days of coaches like Bowden and Paterno being around somewhere for multiple decades are gone. In part because with all the rhe money being paid to coaches now fans nor AD's have the patience to endure down seasons. Hell look at Jimbo, one down season and y'all are ready to move on. Spurrier was also an alum and even then he said himself the shelf life for a coach at one place should be 10 years. It just doesn't really happen where a coach is somewhere foe 15 years.

The majority of coaches flame out so they're gone in 4-5 years and really successful ones get poached (NFL or other schools) or move on to new challenges after a period of time.

I dont want jimbo to go anywhere to be honest. 10-15 yrs is very possible. Obviously 10 is more realistic but Frost if he has success early, can stay in one place for awhile. 10 to 15 yrs is very likely with success. Most are gone after 4 or 5 because they didnt pan out.

Bob stoops, jimbo(i realize he hasnt been here 10 as head coach but almost 10 overall) mike gundy, Saban is getting up there. Guy at iowa seems like he has been there close to 15. Mullen and dabo both approaching 10

I get most dont, but 10 to 15 is doable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT