ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saving Private Ryan opening scene

TSGator24

Bull Gator
Gold Member
May 17, 2014
Admittedly, I don’t know much about strategic military operations. That being said, why wouldn’t they use an aerial attack. If the the movie was a true depiction, they seemed like sitting ducks.

I think that scene has been praised for its accuracy.

During World War II, aerial bombing was not as precise as it is today. Even with intensive bombing, it was difficult to completely destroy fortified positions, especially those as heavily defended as the German defenses along the Normandy coast.

Ground forces were necessary to take and hold ground, which is a key aspect of warfare. Air power alone, especially at that time, couldn't achieve the strategic goals of the Allies in Normandy.

I think that scene has been praised for its accuracy.

During World War II, aerial bombing was not as precise as it is today. Even with intensive bombing, it was difficult to completely destroy fortified positions, especially those as heavily defended as the German defenses along the Normandy coast.

Ground forces were necessary to take and hold ground, which is a key aspect of warfare. Air power alone, especially at that time, couldn't achieve the strategic goals of the Allies in Normandy.
This 100%. The Nazi’s were well dug in. The beach had to be taken hand to hand.

Reactions: gatorjlm841
people over estimate what can be done with air campaign during war.

They did bomb the hell out of the fortifications. What you saw in the movie was what was still left of them (a lot). I’ve been to Pointe du Hoc in Normandy where you can still see the craters from the bombs and ship’s guns, and you can walk through some of the bunkers that are still intact today.

Reactions: jsfgators
Maybe I’m really dumb when it comes to Military strategy. I have never understood lining up a group of blues on one side of a field and a group of grays on the other side. Coming at each other shooting with 9 lb long rifles that require reloading after every shot with gun powder lead balls firing caps. All the while the leader is on a horse out front just asking to be shot. 🤷‍♂️

Never thought this would be a topic but it definitely broke the monotony and it keeps the complaints about the team to a minimun. I’m sure there will somehow be a few in here.

Go Gators 🐊 Beat The Fighting Spanxinoles

Reactions: jsfgators
Admittedly, I don’t know much about strategic military operations. That being said, why wouldn’t they use an aerial attack. If the the movie was a true depiction, they seemed like sitting ducks.
They did. Bombers were supposed to have saturated the areas inland from the beaches where the German pill boxes and other artillery were set up forming the Atlantic Wall. But the bombing zones were so overcast the pilots weren’t confident of the drop zones being free from Allied troops and so they dropped most bombs farther inland. That and the paratrooper drops were way off mark as well scattering them all over France. Lots of factors fell in favor of the Allies that morning when a bunch fell against them as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT