ADVERTISEMENT

Orange and Blue game

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
It sounds like this Spring game might be kind of interesting and Mullen is going to do it draft style with the assistants calling the plays also.

At least it appears we wont get that trash we got last year from Mac where he figured the fans needed to see Franks mostly throwing to 1st team WRs being covered by walk ons etc. Should be more interesting this way.

It's actually going to make for a more disjointed game, possibly even more one sided too. You aren't gonna have cohesive units with players just picking each other and if lets say a defensive captain uses most of his picks on the 1st team defense then all the best defensive players will be on one team and vice versa. I hate this approach. I'd rather see 1 vs. 2 and 2 vs 1 then in the second half go 1 vs 1s in situationals and goalline.

Also don't like that they'll have guest coaches calling the plays, the entire game will be even more meaningless than usual. Was hoping to see a semi-depth chart with Mullen and Grantham calling the plays so we can get a feel for what the units will be come fall.

Reactions: sadgator
The spring games are for the fans. Besides that they are just about meaningless. I bet if you asked college coaches they would rather not even have a spring game.

I don’t have a problem with the way this game will be played just like I wouldn’t have a problem if they went 1s vs 2s and vice versa. This is just an event for the fans that just want to see some football.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
As with any Spring game, some things will be shown, but NO starter decisions will be made.

And this is a day for the players to also just have some fun and a good time.
Should be tackling, but NO monster hitting from the D, or cheap shot cut blocks by the O.
I'll be hoping for ZERO injuries on the day, with the score not mattering much at all....

Fun Saturday for everyone interested and involved. Fall practice and the first 2 games is where things will get settled and depth charts decided.
GoooooGATORS

The spring games are for the fans. Besides that they are just about meaningless. I bet if you asked college coaches they would rather not even have a spring game.

I don’t have a problem with the way this game will be played just like I wouldn’t have a problem if they went 1s vs 2s and vice versa. This is just an event for the fans that just want to see some football.

I can live with 1s v 2s etc. If it is pretty consistent. I thought the 2016 game wasnt done too bad.

Can’t anybody explain what Gator Fever meant by "Mullen’s is going to do it draft style"? I’ve helped Coach high school football and never heard of this term, draft style, when it comes to a scrimmage…

I’d wish the NCAA would allow a fullspring scrimmage game with another team without the kickoffs and run backs on punts like high schools on Florida does and like the NFL does during their camps…This way it will give the Coaches an idea what level your team is at and what needs to be worked on…

Can’t anybody explain what Gator Fever meant by "Mullen’s is going to do it draft style"? I’ve helped Coach high school football and never heard of this term, draft style, when it comes to a scrimmage…

I’d wish the NCAA would allow a fullspring scrimmage game with another team without the kickoffs and run backs on punts like high schools on Florida does and like the NFL does during their camps…This way it will give the Coaches an idea what level your team is at and what needs to be worked on…
The two teams will be drafted by coaches. You know how that ends up working out sometimes. Next think you know you got QBs, etc changing jersey’s.

I get it and coaches should view it that way, I'm talking as a fan. Especially with a new staff I'd like to see as close to a real game as possible to see how they're taking to the new systems, etc. Not this celebrity coaching crap. Why do I want to see Tebow or somebody calling plays as an example? I don't.

Reactions: sadgator
It's actually going to make for a more disjointed game, possibly even more one sided too. You aren't gonna have cohesive units with players just picking each other and if lets say a defensive captain uses most of his picks on the 1st team defense then all the best defensive players will be on one team and vice versa. I hate this approach. I'd rather see 1 vs. 2 and 2 vs 1 then in the second half go 1 vs 1s in situationals and goalline.
You may be over analyzing and taking the fun out of what is a fun way to cap off a tough session of spring practice.

They have had plenty of reps of the 1's together...the 2's together...1vs2's...2's vs 3's etc etc. They had daily practices as well as scrimmages.

It never hurts to let some teammates work with other teammates they normally don't get to work with and usually go against.

Sometimes you just go through the motions when you repeat the same process on a near daily basis.

The two teams will be drafted by coaches. You know how that ends up working out sometimes. Next think you know you got QBs, etc changing jersey’s.

Oh ok I understand same way we use to do it on the high school level but can't recall what they use to call it. Thanks for the info...

I saw something that had the starting lineups for each side, not sure how accurate.

Offense

Blue Team

QB Franks
RB Scarlett
WR Jefferson, Hammond, Toney
LT Jean Delance
LG Tyler Jordan
C Nick Buchanan
RG Fred Johnson
RT jawaan Taylor
TE Moral Stephens

Orange Team

QB Kyle Trask
RB Dameon Pierce
WR Grimes, Cleveland, Wells
LT Martez Ivey
LG Kavaris Harkless
C TJ McCoy
RG TJ Moore
RT Stone Forsythe
TE Cyontai Lewis

Defense

Blue Team

DE Zuniga, Polite
NG Slaton
DT Ancrum
LB Ventrell Miller, Rayshad Jackson
NB McArthur Burnett
CB Marco Wilson, Brian Edwards
S Shawn Davis, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Orange Team

DE Jefferson, Clayton
NG Conliffe
DT Clark
LB Moon, Reese
NB Trey Dean
CB CJ Henderson, Amarillo Burney
S Brad stewart, Jeawan Taylor

Reactions: Gator Fever
As for the action on the field Saturday, Mullen teased that Florida will announce guest coaches for the spring game later this week and draft the roster into two teams. So, it won’t necessarily be a 1s vs. 1s, 2s vs. 2s format.

In one of the interviews, Mullen said that the coaches will pick their teams on Friday.

The Guest Coaches will pick run, play-action pass, pass,,, blitz, base defense, i.e. the general play calls.
Then the Gator coaches will call the actual plays to be run.

I’ll be excited to see a few of the young bucks out there! I think Damien pierce is going to be something special! Real excited about seeing van Jefferson and grimes as well! The only think I hope for is our boys stay healthy, kadarious Toney has bulked up a bit, maybe he’ll be able to stay healthy more often!

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Given the new regime, sadgator is with ooz on this one...show us something that gives us reason to be excited about what is to come...

We want to see what it will look like...at least a little...

Well some fans were excited after Mac had Franks torch some walk ons, 3rd stringer and a linebacker with our 1st string WRs.

Last edited:
I saw something that had the starting lineups for each side, not sure how accurate.

Offense

Blue Team

QB Franks
RB Scarlett
WR Jefferson, Hammond, Toney
LT Jean Delance
LG Tyler Jordan
C Nick Buchanan
RG Fred Johnson
RT jawaan Taylor
TE Moral Stephens

Orange Team

QB Kyle Trask
RB Dameon Pierce
WR Grimes, Cleveland, Wells
LT Martez Ivey
LG Kavaris Harkless
C TJ McCoy
RG TJ Moore
RT Stone Forsythe
TE Cyontai Lewis

Defense

Blue Team

DE Zuniga, Polite
NG Slaton
DT Ancrum
LB Ventrell Miller, Rayshad Jackson
NB McArthur Burnett
CB Marco Wilson, Brian Edwards
S Shawn Davis, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Orange Team

DE Jefferson, Clayton
NG Conliffe
DT Clark
LB Moon, Reese
NB Trey Dean
CB CJ Henderson, Amarillo Burney
S Brad stewart, Jeawan Taylor

That actually appears to be a pretty good balance there. Curious to se if Grimes does much. Some people say a lot of his big catches in practice were coming against Dean who is kind of lost out there right now.

Edit: Some are saying that is just a lineup a website made up.

Last edited:
But Mullen represents hope — hope that his offensive system will make things easier on the quarterbacks, that he can find a way to unlock in redshirt sophomores Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask what the previous staff couldn’t, and that he can develop freshman Emory Jones into a dynamic playmaker sooner rather than later.

Those three, along with redshirt freshman Jake Allen, will be in the spotlight Saturday, and it would really help this whole wave of momentum and excitement Mullen has set in motion if at least one of them can play really well.
-----

Personally, iG is hoping that all 4 QB's do well enough to leave the QB questions open until Fall practice begins, even Franks.... That way, I'll be satisfied that at least 1-2 of them will be on FIRE come September!

It never hurts to have more than one QB ready to go, for injury protection if for no other reason. I'd also love to see Jones emerge as the solid 'wildcat' QB that can be used along with the 1-2 starter(s)

I'm also hoping that the entire team will approach this as an in-house 'game' and not as some kind of a WAR, with all emerging healthy.

Reactions: rdgtr
Given the new regime, sadgator is with ooz on this one...show us something that gives us reason to be excited about what is to come...

We want to see what it will look like...at least a little...
You get excited about seeing first stringers going up against some 2nd teamers along with a few scattered 3rd stringers and walk-on's?

Sounds like Lemons sprained an ankle and won't play. I wonder how much Cleveland plays as he has missed a lot of practice I think.

Already noticeably different… The ball was thrown 10+ yards down field… What kind of pass is that? I haven’t seen that in the past few years!!!! LOL

I'll be waiting the excuses for why Trask overthrows everything, has no presence in the pocket, and won't even attempt a run.

I'll wait.

And trust me, I'm not happy that franks is looking "serviceable."

But I find this humorous.

Trask finally gets it out fast over the middle for 19 yards to the 10, then Scarlett takes it into the end zone.

Might be getting a rhythm.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Trask has a little rhythm now.

Jones looking a little unsure as he gets his first snaps.

Mullen's poke very highly of Jones so far this Spring.

Funny though, Trask has overthrown a lot of passes, but Jones throws one that is just out of reach of his receivers hands and they talk about how he should have taken some power off it, but now with Trask it's all "he's looked really good, very impressed."

Maybe this quarter he's looked better, but he has seriously overthrown a dozen passes.

Emory Jones stands strong in be pocket, hits it over the middle to the FB/TE (Raymond?) and scores the TD.

Trasks last drive of the half has him throwing it late into double coverage then two consecutive sacks.

I thought all three showed some good things, Jones is clearly the most talented though. His physical skills jump off the screen especially the zip he throws with. Last QB to have that here was Grier and then probably Grossman before him. If he ever gets to be a 60% passer the offense will take off with him once you factor in his run threat.

Something tells me this offense would struggle a lot if it played a good real game situation defense right now. A lot of work to be done.

That's to be expected. My guess is all three play at some point this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT