ADVERTISEMENT

Orange and Blue game

It's gonna take time but you can see the positives. We're back running a spread again and we got some athletes we can get in space. You can see how the concepts mesh together play after play, we actually went no huddle at times with no issue, we have routes that attack down field instead of the screen garbage, etc. When we did run screens it was well-timed and against blitzes. I didn't see anything that really left me shaking my head.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Who did you like at QB?

Since last year you were all up in arms about how unfair it was.

Probably Trask even though he threw some dangerous stuff out there. Franks just holds onto the ball too long which will lead to more Driskeling. My hope is Burrow comes here. I think he is a clear upgrade over them and Jones wont be ready until 2019 probably.

Probably Trask even though he threw some dangerous stuff out there. Franks just holds onto the ball too long which will lead to more Driskeling. My hope is Burrow comes here. I think he is a clear upgrade over them and Jones wont be ready until 2019 probably.

Good lord.

Trask refuses to run with the read option and he over threw a ton of balls not to mention how many times he got sacked.

I can't stand Franks either but he looked better.

I feel Trask has better instincts in the pocket. The rush would come around the edge and he'd climb the pocket and keep his eyes downfield almost textbook, but his accuracy was hit or miss which you can't have as a pure pocket passer. And he's not a threat on the option and I don't see Mullen making that tradeoff in his offense.

Good lord.

Trask refuses to run with the read option and he over threw a ton of balls not to mention how many times he got sacked.

I can't stand Franks either but he looked better.

Neither of them will be running much read option is my guess. Look at Miss State 2012 for what might happen.

Is it fair to say we looked like total ass today?

Man, that wasn't anywhere close to what sadgator hoped to see...

Also, the wtf with goofy "celebrity" tds?!?!?

Frank's celebrating like an egocentric asshole and the assault rifle celebration were also deeply concerning...

Long, long, long way to go with this group apparently...

Just when sadgator thought he couldn't feel any less connected and excited about Gator football...this...

ssh...

Reactions: nail1988
Am I the only person that thinks the OL hasn't improved one bit?

There isn't gonna be some crazy improvement with them because truth is they don't have the athleticism to be great players in the SEC. I mean they were a large part of the reason we went 4-7 last year, it's gonna take time. Thank Mac's shitty recruiting.

There isn't gonna be some crazy improvement with them because truth is they don't have the athleticism to be great players in the SEC. I mean they were a large part of the reason we went 4-7 last year, it's gonna take time. Thank Mac's shitty recruiting.
Totally agree. Mullen and Co. will have them in better shape and better playcalling may hide some of the deficiencies. But the fact is that most of our O-line is not up to upper echelon SEC standards.

Frank's celebrating like an egocentric asshole and the assault rifle celebration were also deeply concerning...

Just when sadgator thought he couldn't feel any less connected and excited about Gator football...this...

ssh...

Yeah it did look like there was some horsing around.

However, I believe that it was Dan Mullen instructing his team to be loose and to have fun playing football, again. Recall, there were also touchdown passes thrown to former UF football players Lawrence Wright & Travis McGriff.

This was only the final spring practice and it wasn't against an actual opponent where decorum and sportsmanship is the rule.

Maybe Savages training table will get them up to proper weight at least.

Florida had a couple of 1-2 point losses (to Texas A&M & LSU) before collapsing down the stretch with McElwain's mid-season firing. In many of their blowout losses, Florida (i.e, Franks) made too many costly turnovers which didn't give the gators a chance to be more competitive in those games.

This upcoming season, minimizing those terrible turnovers will be the key in getting back on track again. In addition to solid offensive line play, getting those two wide-receiver transfers to be eligible for UF will be huge, too.

I already knew most of what I saw today. The O&B was just put on to have some fun, with nobody important to the season getting hurt, so I'm okay with what they did today. I didn't expect anything to be decided today, and imo, nothing was.

Until and unless Van and Grimes are cleared by the NCAA to play, I'd have spent more time and effort on getting reps for those WR's that are already on the 2018 roster. Wells showed that he can play if given the chance. He and Green should have been getting those reps for now.

I believe that Franks and Trask will continue to battle for the job through the summer and Fall practice, and the starter not be fully decided until the Tennis-sea game. Please, no more grad-xfers to screw the pooch.

I learned that they have no intention of using QB Jake Allen and that he should go ahead and xfer out at the end of this semester, IF he wants to play college ball. Sorry to see him go, but that's the way the cookie crumbles some times. Nothing against his skills, he can play, it just won't be as a Gator. He should have played instead of red shirting last season instead of Zaire.

I also learned that if not Allen, then QB/Ath Sproles should have been coached up and maybe used last season, instead of bringing a useless Zaire in to waste more time. (just as I said at the time)

I learned that they have a FB on the team,,, IF they would use him.
FB/ST's R.J. Raymond 6-2 253. That kid can play.

JMOHO's so carry on..........

I agree. Ivey is probably the only with real good SEC talent if they can get him right upstairs. The talent isnt there for this group to be a top 4 SEC O line. Hopefully they are better this year however.

I didn't judge the OL today because of the format that they used.
The Sept OL will look very different when we get there with the 5 starters in place.
They just ALL have to continue to work at their jobs for the next 4 months.

Florida had a couple of 1-2 point losses (to Texas A&M & LSU) before collapsing down the stretch with McElwain's mid-season firing. In many of their blowout losses, Florida (i.e, Franks) made too many costly turnovers which didn't give the gators a chance to be more competitive in those games.

This upcoming season, minimizing those terrible turnovers will be the key in getting back on track again. In addition to solid offensive line play, getting those two wide-receiver transfers to be eligible for UF will be huge, too.

Sure but you're discounting our close wins, wins in which we were outplayed for almost the entire game. Our record is indicative of what we were.

The two receivers would be huge because they're already the two best on the team but there won't be solid offensive line play. I'm actually surprised people still hope for or have that expectation. Most of these guys have been playing for 3-4 years now, if they were gonna improve it would have happened already. And today if this was a real game they'd have given up 6-7 sacks. We'll improve there when we get new players.

Most of these guys have been playing for 3-4 years now, if they were gonna improve it would have happened already. .

Almost all of those guys on the team fit that scenario and they went 4-7 last season, so by that same logic spread over the entire team, 4-7 is about the best that can be hoped for in 2018.... :rolleyes:

I didn't judge the OL today because of the format that they used.
The Sept OL will look very different when we get there with the 5 starters in place.
They just ALL have to continue to work at their jobs for the next 4 months.

I agree with this.

We had our starting OL split up, and I think, overall, they did okay. But together? I think we will be a good unit.

The QB battle is what it all comes down to in august.

I've got a feeling it's going to be Franks (and I'm not thrilled about that) unless Jones really comes on (which I definitely saw the potential today).

Trask was just super inconsistent and, despite how some may try to portray me, I really wanted him to do well, but it was frustrating with him. Bad overthrows, bad read options, bad pocket awareness...there were bright spots but not as many as I would have hoped.

ssh...

Felt about the same. I mean our QBs are not good and even if Mullen is the quarterback-whisperer it's going to take a bit. I too didn't care for the celebrity TDs. I wouldn't mind the celebrations if we were in anyway a "good" team. But we just won 4 games last year lol. I dunno - everyone is different so that just doesn't fit my personality is all.

Reactions: sadgator
Almost all of those guys on the team fit that scenario and they went 4-7 last season, so by that same logic spread over the entire team, 4-7 is about the best that can be hoped for in 2018.... :rolleyes:

Unsurprisingly, you suck at 'logic.'

The offensive line has been poor for multiple years, not the case for numerous other units. And unlike other areas on the team they haven't improved. Also unlike other units on the team it's been largely the same players in place year after year while they've performed poorly. 4 of the starters will have started at least three years. So their situation isn't really comparable to other units where there's fresh blood all over the place. Not sure why not expecting them to improve would be applicable to the rest of the team when the circumstances aren't the same but then 'logic.'

The offensive line has been poor for multiple years, not the case for numerous other units. And unlike other areas on the team they haven't improved. Also unlike other units on the team it's been largely the same players in place year after year while they've performed poorly. 4 of the starters will have started at least three years. So their situation isn't really comparable to other units where there's fresh blood all over the place. Not sure why not expecting them to improve would be applicable to the rest of the team when the circumstances aren't the same but then 'logic.'

Translation: "blah blah blah black lives matter zzzzzzzz...."

Reactions: oozie7
Sur-prise, Sur-prise, Sur-prise,,, the Gomer / Bopsie Twins from the circle of jerks didn't like my opinion. :rolleyes:

PS -- You just plain suck... :cool:

Felt about the same. I mean our QBs are not good and even if Mullen is the quarterback-whisperer it's going to take a bit. I too didn't care for the celebrity TDs. I wouldn't mind the celebrations if we were in anyway a "good" team. But we just won 4 games last year lol. I dunno - everyone is different so that just doesn't fit my personality is all.

sadgator appreciates having fun and being silly, but when you are coming off 4-7 and trying to promote an attitude of toughness, yeah, maybe they shoulda took it a little more seriously...

Just sadgator’s 2 cents...

Reactions: EvilWayz

sadgator appreciates having fun and being silly, but when you are coming off 4-7 and trying to promote an attitude of toughness, yeah, maybe they shoulda took it a little more seriously...

Just sadgator’s 2 cents...

Did you listen to Dan's on field interviews?
There was competence.

Not "neat and cool."

ssh...

I watched the lizzerd scrimmage interested in the QB battle. I was very surprised coming off a 4-7 season Mullin allowed that junior high grab ass celebration chit to take place and didn’t seem to take the spring game seriously.

interesting take from a couple lizzerd fans

Maybe the celebrations were over the top but the counterpoint to that is this program has been dead when it comes to excitement for 8 years. We had a lot of recruits at the game, a big crowd, and a lot of former players who came back so the emphasis was just on having some fun again. Not be miserable like damn near everything surrounding this program has been for so long.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Maybe the celebrations were over the top but the counterpoint to that is this program has been dead when it comes to excitement for 8 years. We had a lot of recruits at the game, a big crowd, and a lot of former players who came back so the emphasis was just on having some fun again. Not be miserable like damn near everything surrounding this program has been for so long.

And ironically there are fans hat are miserable about it.

Most fans, former players, and current players and coaches had some Spring time fun.
Nobody on the field took the game TOO seriously, so nobody got hurt.

Those that wanted to see some vicious car wrecks,,, :confused: well, too bad for you.... :oops:

To the Gomer headed Bopsie Twins.... :D:p:D

And ironically there are fans hat are miserable about it.

Yea I mean I would have liked a more serious game too but I get what Mullen's trying to do. We go out there and have a serious game and the defense dominates the offense again everybody would be saying how nothing has changed and the negativity around the program would be the same as it was under Mac. How does that help the program any?

Yea I mean I would have liked a more serious game too but I get what Mullen's trying to do. We go out there and have a serious game and the defense dominates the offense again everybody would be saying how nothing has changed and the negativity around the program would be the same as it was under Mac. How does that help the program any?

It doesn't. The only thing that really annoyed me was the high amount of screen passes when Franks was in.

I guess that's all he's really comfortable/competent with.

It doesn't. The only thing that really annoyed me was the high amount of screen passes when Franks was in.

I guess that's all he's really comfortable/competent with.

Seems like they're trying to build him from the ground up. I haven't really figured out what that means yet in terms of who is ahead in the race. At times you see all the physical talent that could make him a beast in this offense, but then you get all the dumb decisions too. Maybe they think they can bring it out of him as long as they keep building his confidence.

Yeah - I figured it was for that reason. Just my personality - would have like to have seen it more serious but I get the psychology side of it. Just not my cup of tea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT