ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season: Jameis Winston, sexual assault accuser settle federal lawsuit

MJWilliamson

Bull Gator
Apr 23, 2007
Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston has settled a federal lawsuit filed by a woman who accused him of sexually assaulting her in 2012 while he played at Florida State, according to the woman's attorney.

Former Florida State student Erica Kinsman accused Winston, the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner, of sexually assaulting her at his apartment in December 2012. He was never charged with a crime by police in Tallahassee, Florida, and the state attorney's office there declined to pursue a criminal case against him.

"The case has been resolved to the satisfaction of the parties," John Clune, the woman's attorney, told ESPN on Wednesday night.

The settlement was first reported by TMZ Sports.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...state-settling-lawsuit-jameis-winston-accuser
Florida State settling suit with Winston accuser

Florida State said Monday that it is settling a lawsuit with the former student who alleged she was sexually assaulted by former Seminoles star quarterback Jameis Winston.

Clune declined to discuss the specifics of the settlement. Winston, in his second season with the Buccaneers, had filed a countersuit against Kinsman. Donald King, who is one of the attorneys representing Winston, told The Associated Press that also has been settled.

Kinsman's lawsuit was scheduled to go to trial in U.S. District Court in Orlando, Florida, on April 3.

Kinsman sued Winston in April 2015, accusing him of sexual battery, assault, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress. According to the lawsuit, Winston's "conduct was extreme and outrageous and caused plaintiff to suffer severe mental anguish and suffering, including, more specifically, loss of sleep, flashbacks, severe anxiety, fear of repeat sexual violence, an unfounded sense of shame and depression, all of which will continue to require psychological and other counseling."

Winston filed a countersuit against Kinsman a month later, alleging that her accusations were "false, defamatory ... and have maliciously and impermissibly interfered with Mr. Winston's business and personal relationships." The suit claimed Kinsman's accusations subjected Winston to an "almost inconceivable amount of media attention" and led to the loss of significant endorsement deals.

After leading Florida State to a national championship in 2013, Jameis Winston was the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL draft by the Buccaneers. Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports
Florida State agreed to pay Kinsman $950,000 in January to settle a lawsuit she filed against the school for its handling of her Title IX complaint. As part of the settlement, Florida State agreed to commit to five years of sexual assault awareness programs and to publishing annual reports of those programs. Florida State did not admit liability as part of its settlement.

At the time of Florida State's settlement, university president John Thrasher said the school had determined that avoiding a trial was a financially responsible decision, instead of paying millions of dollars in legal fees, "even though we are convinced we would have prevailed."

After leading Florida State to a national championship in 2013, Winston was the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL draft by the Buccaneers. He signed a four-year, $23.35 million contract with the team less than 24 hours after he was selected. According to reports, more than $16 million of the contract was guaranteed.

Former Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Major Harding ruled in December 2014 that evidence was insufficient to find Winston responsible for four violations of Florida State's student conduct code.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report

Reactions: mcanes
I am sure the details of the settlement will be leaked at some point in time. That should prove interesting. Good off season fodder.

Reactions: nail1988
Smart on his part. Civil trial much different from criminal. I told all those nolies who said he would never settle, that he would settle. One of our special nole friends on this board who claimed JW would win his counter suit, curious to see his spin now.

The settlement agreement says Kinsman will receive $250,000 and her attorneys will get $700,000, though the agreement notes that might not be the actual split of the total settlement.

I think the most a school can pay is $250K without legislative appeal. FSU settled a wrongful death suit a decade ago for around $2 million with a player with sickel cell (Devaughn Darling), and the legislature still has not approved the payout.

Also, this is the suit against FSU for Title IX, its not the suit against Jameis that will go to trial this summer.

[QUlbOTE="Pepe Nole, post: 951208, member: 66113"]The settlement agreement says Kinsman will receive $250,000 and her attorneys will get $700,000, though the agreement notes that might not be the actual split of the total settlement.

I think the most a school can pay is $250K without legislative appeal. FSU settled a wrongful death suit a decade ago for around $2 million with a player with sickel cell (Devaughn Darling), and the legislature still has not approved the payout.

Also, this is the suit against FSU for Title IX, its not the suit against Jameis that will go to trial this summer.[/QUOTE]

No,

The settlement agreement says Kinsman will receive $250,000 and her attorneys will get $700,000, though the agreement notes that might not be the actual split of the total settlement.

Pretty sure this was debunked...this from the FSU statement

“The Parties understand and agree that the foregoing representation does not necessarily reflect the actual allocation between Kinsman and her counsel.”

Winston did nothing wrong(except cheat on his current gf). Erica is from where i grew up. Actually went to the same high school, she is cleat chaser(especially the milk chocolate cleats if u know what i mean). She once got eifel towered in the 10th grade in the boys locker room. Whole school knew about and she didnt come to school for a week. Her mother is also bat sh** crazy. I guess when the money is good tho. She got what she wanted, some jameis D and money to go with it.

I seem to remember that you were in the "never settle" camp, just cause, in your opinion, he had such a good defense and his accuser had such a bad case.

That is correct, but that was only my personal opinion. I don't think him having a good defense or her having a bad case had anything to do with this. I believe Tampa Bay contending and them probably pressuring him and his attorneys to make this go away had a lot to do with it. Who knows at this point. I get the feeling if the Bucs were 2-11 and not 8-5 possibly heading to the playoffs then the lawsuits would probably still be on.

I'm hearing no money was exchange as she didn't want to go to trial after the recent depositions. It was a complete mess.

I seem to remember that you were in the "never settle" camp, just cause, in your opinion, he had such a good defense and his accuser had such a bad case.

So he rapes her and then she accepts a ride home from him? Has sex later that night? Sounds legit

Reactions: Pepe Nole
Winston did nothing wrong(except cheat on his current gf). Erica is from where i grew up. Actually went to the same high school, she is cleat chaser(especially the milk chocolate cleats if u know what i mean). She once got eifel towered in the 10th grade in the boys locker room. Whole school knew about and she didnt come to school for a week. Her mother is also bat sh** crazy. I guess when the money is good tho. She got what she wanted, some jameis D and money to go with it.
She was pure as driven snow, just ask Gator country boards. Just because she had multiple DNA in her underwear doesn't mean anything. This isn't Victorian times. It's completely normal for stronk women to engage in gangbangs with athletes and shouldn't be judged by their past at all ever I mean didn't you watch the hunting ground that was the gods honest truth right there.

She was pure as driven snow, just ask Gator country boards. Just because she had multiple DNA in her underwear doesn't mean anything. This isn't Victorian times. It's completely normal for stronk women to engage in gangbangs with athletes and shouldn't be judged by their past at all ever I mean didn't you watch the hunting ground that was the gods honest truth right there.

Ahhh the Hunting Ground smh. Films like this should never see the light of day

"Kinsman testified that she got into the cab with the three men because she was “scared” of them. The film does not disclose Harding’s conclusion that this was less than credible given that she had entered the cab in front of a crowd of people and never sought any help. Nor could she cite anything Winston or his friends did to frighten her or force her to go with them.

Then there is the stark contradiction — also entirely omitted from the film — between Kinsman’s initial report of an assault, which a friend phoned in on her behalf to Florida State police, and every one of Kinsman’s shifting accounts since then. The friend told police that Kinsman “said she thinks she was hit on like the back of the head,” kept “blacking out,” and had no recollection of how she got to Winston’s bedroom. The film starts playing the 3: 22 a.m.recorded phone report to campus police but omits the part about Kinsman’s being hit on the head."

Im not sure what side your on. She was.....loose, even in high school. Cant imagine what she was like in college. Most likely scenario, she sees jameis, goes to his place, does the dirty, jameis says u have to leave cuz his gf was flying in, she gets mad, mom says to sue for rape cuz she is pissed that jameis didnt marry her. That is 99% the most likely scenario. What are we suppose to believe, he raped her with 2 teammates and her friend in the other room then gave her a ride home? Jesus some people just cant use common sense

Ahhh the Hunting Ground smh. Films like this should never see the light of day

"Kinsman testified that she got into the cab with the three men because she was “scared” of them. The film does not disclose Harding’s conclusion that this was less than credible given that she had entered the cab in front of a crowd of people and never sought any help. Nor could she cite anything Winston or his friends did to frighten her or force her to go with them.

Then there is the stark contradiction — also entirely omitted from the film — between Kinsman’s initial report of an assault, which a friend phoned in on her behalf to Florida State police, and every one of Kinsman’s shifting accounts since then. The friend told police that Kinsman “said she thinks she was hit on like the back of the head,” kept “blacking out,” and had no recollection of how she got to Winston’s bedroom. The film starts playing the 3: 22 a.m.recorded phone report to campus police but omits the part about Kinsman’s being hit on the head."

Yeah i love how she tried to say she was drugged or blacking out drunk yet they didnt find anything at the hospital when they did tests.

And you were also one of the ones that insisted that Winston and FSU would never settle.

That is correct, but that was only my personal opinion. I don't think him having a good defense or her having a bad case had anything to do with this. I believe Tampa Bay contending and them probably pressuring him and his attorneys to make this go away had a lot to do with it. Who knows at this point. I get the feeling if the Bucs were 2-11 and not 8-5 possibly heading to the playoffs then the lawsuits would probably still be on.
lulz

the memes write themselves.

Reactions: mcanes
Pretty sure this was debunked...this from the FSU statement

“The Parties understand and agree that the foregoing representation does not necessarily reflect the actual allocation between Kinsman and her counsel.”

Most likely lawyer spin using expenses to act as if its true since they focus on their 700k only in the statement mostly. You notice they wont say they gave her like 100k etc. over that 250k which for pr reasons they would in a second I am sure if it was true.

And you were also one of the ones that insisted that Winston and FSU would never settle.

He settled becuz its been going on for 3 yrs and he is not being harrassed by it anymore. Why bring it back up? People have already made up their minds. To me, if i was a girl on college campus, i would cind a popular athlete, visit pound town, cry rape, get paid. Its a good business. It sucks that those girls ruin it for the ones who actually do get attacked

lulz

At least you admitted your mistake.

If it is over, why are you here, posting in this thread?

Oh hey MJ, I got a new controversy for you to start a thread about so we won't have to keep beating this dead horse. A few ACC teams have admitted to receiving stolen plays from the rogue Wake Forest guy. FSU came out and denied ever communicating with him. You can start a thread about how Jimbo is lying and your sources saw him meeting with the guy. Then talk about how they will eventually forfeit all of our games and put us on 20 years probation. The thread will be epic and Ghost might even return to chime in. The Jameis thing is stale now. It's even gone from ESPN front page.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT