ADVERTISEMENT

Nobody wants to watch FSU football

ohsfan28

Rowdy Reptile
Aug 9, 2011
Just read that their season tickets for football could be under 25 thousand. What a bunch of bandwagon fans

They are having major financial problems in their athletic department.

Lots of schools facing issues. College football attendance is dropping across the nation and it won’t return. People don’t care anymore and interest has fallen off big time, rather play on their phones as they sit in A/C with their big TV. Young people REALLY don’t care.

FSU issue is amplified because our product is complete garbage right now and the admin has done nothing but piss of their fan base again and again since 2014.

We all got to see the pinnacle of college football in the late 90’s it’s all downhill from here IMO.

Lots of schools facing issues. College football attendance is dropping across the nation and it won’t return. People don’t care anymore and interest has fallen off big time, rather play on their phones as they sit in A/C with their big TV. Young people REALLY don’t care.

FSU issue is amplified because our product is complete garbage right now and the admin has done nothing but piss of their fan base again and again since 2014.

We all got to see the pinnacle of college football in the late 90’s it’s all downhill from here IMO.

I don’t think people stopped caring. Arrogant universities have just priced the average fan out of the stadium. They build all these luxury seats and skyboxes and then cater to students and they’re the two most likely groups to haul ass when the teams aren’t as good. Why? Because they aren’t diehards. They go to the games just to be seen. Meanwhile the fans who have been going to games for generations can’t afford to get in the stadium.

So the alternative is cheaper. You can buy a 75” TV for $600 and watch games from noon to 1 am the next morning in the comfort or you’re living room. Or you can go to a game drop a few hundred on tickets, pay another $60 for parking, and pay for overpriced stadium food while sitting in 90 degree weather. One game costs as much as it would for you to have a living room setup for an entire stadium. Not worth it. And most universities still haven’t adapted. They keep blaming the fans for not buying their overpriced product.

I don’t think people stopped caring. Arrogant universities have just priced the average fan out of the stadium. They build all these luxury seats and skyboxes and then cater to students and they’re the two most likely groups to haul ass when the teams aren’t as good. Why? Because they aren’t diehards. They go to the games just to be seen. Meanwhile the fans who have been going to games for generations can’t afford to get in the stadium.

So the alternative is cheaper. You can buy a 75” TV for $600 and watch games from noon to 1 am the next morning in the comfort or you’re living room. Or you can go to a game drop a few hundred on tickets, pay another $60 for parking, and pay for overpriced stadium food while sitting in 90 degree weather. One game costs as much as it would for you to have a living room setup for an entire stadium. Not worth it. And most universities still haven’t adapted. They keep blaming the fans for not buying their overpriced product.

It’s the product... FSU is the Kia of college football. Florida is the Lexus.

The upcoming student fan base does not care like we did a decade or two ago and the aging diehards are not being replaced, Not by a long shot. College football peaked years ago and I don’t see how it rebounds. Attendance is declining across the nation.

Just read that their season tickets for football could be under 25 thousand. What a bunch of bandwagon fans

Everyone wants to watch fsu football(hence us still being one of the most watched) People dont want to go to the games and watch Taggart screw it up. Most of these are poors who were pinching every penny to attend these games anyway. I will still be holding my illustrious 6 champions club seats. We need a more impressive fanbase. Hopefully this runs off a few morons.

The upcoming student fan base does not care like we did a decade or two ago and the aging diehards are not being replaced, Not by a long shot. College football peaked years ago and I don’t see how it rebounds. Attendance is declining across the nation.

I agree with you on that. But I don't blame the fans for not caring, it's the universities at fault. The diehards who could take their kids and grandkids can no longer afford to go to games for the most part. They'd be the ones still filling the stadium even when these soft ass students don't want to go today, but that's no longer an option.

Same with the cheese and wine crowd they're building all the luxury suites for, they don't actually care about the game either. But they keep getting more suites built for them. Long story short universities played themselves. They've been catering to the types of fans who couldn't care less about the game.

I agree with you on that. But I don't blame the fans for not caring, it's the universities at fault. The diehards who could take their kids and grandkids can no longer afford to go to games for the most part. They'd be the ones still filling the stadium even when these soft ass students don't want to go today, but that's no longer an option.

Same with the cheese and wine crowd they're building all the luxury suites for, they don't actually care about the game either. But they keep getting more suites built for them. Long story short universities played themselves. They've been catering to the types of fans who couldn't care less about the game.

I concur. Universities are crapping the bed and have shown little forethought on what was heading their way.

One good example brought up by an FSU guy during discussions on this topic is how the school did away with block seating, which was dominated by the fraternities. Once upon a time the frat boys used to really care about pooling their tickets together and getting a good block together and the great time that would ensue at the game. That gameday experience led to a TON of well off students becoming boosters and loving the Gameday experience.

Now there are more students staying at the parties at fraternity row during the game than ever before. The party was the game, not anymore.

The school really dropped the ball on future monies by going to every man for himself seating.

The schools have been beating on the golden goose. Millionaire coaches, luxury accommodations for the players, too many mismatches on the schedule, skyrocketing ticket prices. The results are coming home to roost.

The generations who elevated college football to the current heights are being replaced by the video game generation.

It will never be the same.

Everyone wants to watch fsu football(hence us still being one of the most watched) People dont want to go to the games and watch Taggart screw it up. Most of these are poors who were pinching every penny to attend these games anyway. I will still be holding my illustrious 6 champions club seats. We need a more impressive fanbase. Hopefully this runs off a few morons.

Oozie, according to FSU #'s...you sound like a poor.

Reactions: fsu939913
I could be wealthy and still would rather stay home these days. Between the heat, $10 drinks, parking, and waiting in traffic for hours after the game it doesn’t appeal to me. My playing days are done I don’t need to be there.

In the champiins club there is no heat. Its shady and has indoors

[QUOTE="GatorTheo, post: 1521846, member: 766"The generations who elevated college football to the current heights are being replaced by the video game generation..[/QUOTE]Very good point and agree. Also the typical UF student isn’t the same student that was attending UF 10-15-20 years ago.

And then of course if you stink it is even more difficult.

I may be wrong but even Alabama is having issues selling out their games. Didn’t even Savanna make a comment about it?

For Florida...It’s pretty simple...we got fat, lazy, and bored...

On the way up (pre-1996 and pre-Urban) we were dying for titles and to be a dominating program. We packed the stadium and created the vibe.

Since then, we’ve been to the mountain top three times...once that happens, absolutely nobody is going to give up a weekend to come see us play Towson.

There is a reason that tickets to the Miami game are $500 and the only game on our home schedule that you can’t really get first sale tickets to at this point is Auburn.

People want to see stuff they don’t get to see often...they don’t want to see Towson...and they’re bored of seeing UT, Vandy, and the other rotating east schools. The monotony of the divisional alignment scheduling is really what killed it. Everybody talks about costs, but nobody really ever acknowledges that.

It has more to do with that than the costs or the attendance comfort type things...

sadgator will pay over $1,000 for the whole weekend coming to see us play Auburn...he’ll sit/stand on a metal bench, buy overpriced food, and sleep in a roadside hotel for well over $250 a night, and it’ll be absolutely worth it...

Because THATS the game this year...

Last edited:
Reactions: nail1988
...sadgator also strongly believes that the decline is directly correlated to Muschamp sucking the soul out of our program. He so completely and thoroughly dismantled our program’s identity to the point that it is still hard (even under Mullen) to feel as close to it as we were before Muschamp came. He will forever be the most damaging and nefarious figure in gator football history.

Last edited:
...putting the “F” back at midfield is also so needed that it is astonishing that nobody within UF even discusses it...

One of the worst decisions in the history of our entire athletic program was to strip that “F”...

Which was done under Muschamp...of course...

If sadgator was AD, we would immediately replace that Head and hold an “exorcism of its effects” ceremony at midfield. Then Steve would be called upon to paint the first line of the “F” and it would finally be returned to it’s rightful place for all of eternity...

It has nothing to do with the opponents. We have always played a few cupcakes every year at home. Those games still sold out under Spurrier and Meyer, etc.

For Florida...It’s pretty simple...we got fat, lazy, and bored...

On the way up (pre-1996 and pre-Urban) we were dying for titles and to be a dominating program. We packed the stadium and created the vibe.

Since then, we’ve been to the mountain top three times...once that happens, absolutely nobody is going to give up a weekend to come see us play Towson.

There is a reason that tickets to the Miami game are $500 and the only game on our home schedule that you can’t really get first sale tickets to at this point is Auburn.

People want to see stuff they don’t get to see often...they don’t want to see Towson...and they’re bored of seeing UT, Vandy, and the other rotating east schools. The monotony of the divisional alignment scheduling is really what killed it. Everybody talks about costs, but nobody really ever acknowledges that.

It has more to do with that than the costs or the attendance comfort type things...

sadgator will pay over $1,000 for the whole weekend coming to see us play Auburn...he’ll sit/stand on a metal bench, buy overpriced food, and sleep in a roadside hotel for well over $250 a night, and it’ll be absolutely worth it...

Because THATS the game this year...

You may be willing to, but that's not really the norm for much of anybody today. No one is paying $1,000, multiple times during a season to go watch games. There's a reason attendance is declining everywhere and not just at UF.

You may be willing to, but that's not really the norm for much of anybody today. No one is paying $1,000, multiple times during a season to go watch games. There's a reason attendance is declining everywhere and not just at UF.

You can basically watch any game you want from the comfort of your living room. The need to attend the game or miss out on what happens flew the coop years ago. Going to games is much more of an unneeded luxury. And the increase costs are only hurting.

There’s still nothing like the thrill of being there for a BIG game day. sadgator will shell out $1000 for a game worth it...like Auburn...but sadgator ain’t spending a nickle on Towson.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the opponents. We have always played a few cupcakes every year at home. Those games still sold out under Spurrier and Meyer, etc.
Reapectfully, You’re missing and seriously overlooking the point. It got old. Yeah you’ll attend cupcake games on the way up. But 30 years of the same old shit has grown tiresome.

Look on the gator ticket office site/Ticketmaster for single game tickets to the Tennessee game...you can pretty much pick your seat location. Now look at the Auburn game...almost none. Why do you think that is? It ain’t cost and it ain’t amenities. It’s interest and atmosphere. People are sick of seeing the same old crap and crummy shameful games against teams like Towson.

Put Notre Dame on the home schedule and you think anybody will care about cost or a metal bench?!?!?

Your blowing off of the scheduling component is really misguided.

Sad I actually agree with you on the opponents big picture. Better opponents would lead to more interest, but that’s still only one or two games per year. And usually what happens is in years where there’s a big opponent on the schedule they raise season ticket prices to take full advantage. So the end result is really the same. That one game might be heavily attended but the rest people will probably choose to stay home.

It's blasphemous to say, but the reality is the CFB product as a whole just isn't very good. Adding a 12th regular season game was a huge mistake. Schools just wanted the paycheck of an extra home game against a rent-a-cupcake, but all it's really done is watered down the regular season. Too many Clemson-Wofford, Alabama-Samford, Florida-Charleston Southern, Florida State-Alabama State games. It's completely uninteresting.

The playoff has also totally ruined bowl season. Winning the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl used to be big deal. Now no one cares including the players who refuse to even play in the games if they have the prospect of being drafted.

The NCAA also really needs to adopt the NFL clock rules. College football games are absurdly long. 20 minute halftimes and the clock stopping for everything is just insane. Even things that are fun get old after 4 and a half hours. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: gatordad3
It's blasphemous to say, but the reality is the CFB product as a whole just isn't very good. Adding a 12th regular season game was a huge mistake. Schools just wanted the paycheck of an extra home game against a rent-a-cupcake, but all it's really done is watered down the regular season. Too many Clemson-Wofford, Alabama-Samford, Florida-Charleston Southern, Florida State-Alabama State games. It's completely uninteresting.

The playoff has also totally ruined bowl season. Winning the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl used to be big deal. Now no one cares including the players who refuse to even play in the games if they have the prospect of being drafted.

The NCAA also really needs to adopt the NFL clock rules. College football games are absurdly long. 20 minute halftimes and the clock stopping for everything is just insane. Even things that are fun get old after 4 and a half hours. It's ridiculous.

This I agree with too. I’ve been saying that for years. The extra games ruin the interest, like with anything else too much of something kills it.

What used to make college football unlike any other sport is that you had 10-11 games to separate yourself. With limited games you couldn’t afford a slip up so every game mattered. And because it was a popularity contest you needed ‘quality wins’ so there were less cupcakes and better matchups for fans. Now with the playoffs if you go all the way you play 15 games...one less than the NFL. NFL fans couldn’t give a damn if their team loses 7 or even 8 games because you can still get in the playoffs as long as you win your division. Now college fans are adapting the same mindset....nobody cares if you lose even 2 games because you can still possibly get in the playoffs and now people want an 8 or 16-team playoff. When that happens the regular season won’t mean a damn thing. You’ll have 3 or 4-loss teams getting in because that’s ‘fair.’ College football was different because of the traditions, the rivalries, and every game meaning something. Now it’s just another watered down corporate product like the NFL, most of the traditions are going away. Hell some teams who played for centuries don’t even play anymore look at Texas-Texas A&M.

Texas and A&M not playing anymore is just criminal. Those were some fantastic games throughout the 2000’s.

Reactions: sadgator
There's not a program in Florida that hasn't passed FSU sans maybe UF. The noles aren't even top 5 in the ACC.

I agree about the number and quality of games. I don't even want to watch a game against Podunk State on TV. I can have more fun playing golf, fishing, or hunting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT