ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back 're: Treon Harris

Does anybody really believe that we would of been 6-0 going into LSU if Treon started those games??????? Treon isn't a terrible qb but he isn't as good as WG. Sure he might of had better completion %, but you should expect that from a guy that started 6 games last year. When the year started WG hadn't played in live action in over a year, and that was in high school at that. I expect Treon to play better starting the year just for the fact that he had actually seen college action. Can Treon lead us to ATL, yes. Can he go 5-0 yes. but if he doesn't that it still doesn't make him a better qb then WG. It just means that coach Mac has done his job at developing Treon and making the right play call to give him the best possible chance and succeeding.

The TE's and WR's are always open because of the system, he missed plenty open and took off running.

Reactions: TAYLOR1027
Because defense didn't win us the UK and Mizzou games? The offense was really spectacular in those with no passing TD's whatsoever, overthrows, and a miserable INT in the redzone that almost gave away UK. Some revisionist history is going on right now. The record would have been the same regardless, it's the system, not either QB. Mac will make either look competent, likely more competent than they really are.

Reactions: jroc287
The record would of been the same?? You think we would of beat UT with Treon? If Treon was our starter all season I think our record 5-2 for sure maybe 4-3. I agree with you that it has more to do with the system, and Mac has done a great job so far in calling the right plays to give us a chance and he has done a good job developing WG, its still early on how he has done with Treon just because we really haven't seen him play. but hopefully he can get him to start making quicker reads and get him not to bail on the play before he gets through his first read and just take off.

Hard to tell because teams will/do defend both players differently. Grier balled out in the 4th against UT, but part of the reason we were even in that hole to begin with is because he was awful for 3 quarters. If he was just 'average' the first 3 quarters there probably isn't a need to come back from 14 in the 4th. The UK performance was similarly awful to the point Mac was talking about giving Treon more snaps in the UT game. I do think we would have lost Mizzou with Treon though, I feel like they would have ate us alive. But then again I thought the same of LSU (regardless of QB) and we held up pretty good.

Best guess is we'd still be 6-1 just like we are now. My only point though is people are acting like the offense was lighting up the scoreboard and that wasn't the case. We broke out against Ole Miss, but the other performances were 'meh.' I posted the stats in the game thread, we didn't have a single passing TD our two previous road games, we get two against LSU and had our second best passing performance on the year and people are still talking down about the QB...doesn't make any sense to me. Only complaint I have is the last series against LSU, he was flat out awful. IDK, maybe people are just remembering the last thing they saw and not taking the entirety of the performance into account.

Reactions: jroc287
I thought with WG we would of won the game just because it seemed like he just in a groove..no he didn't throw a TD against Mizzou or do anything amazing but I still felt like he had the confidence/swagger that would of led us to victory..Treon played better then I thought. honestly thought we would get beat by 21-24 points. Whats stands out most to be besides the final drive where my 3 year old could of made better passes, was that he missed so many open receivers and never went through his reads and it pissed me off so much because guys were open all night. I felt like Treon just wasn't confident though. The first TD to Mcgee he waited way too long to throw it and then about threw it out of the endzone. The "incomplete" pass to Callaway, Callaway was wide open as soon as he hit the hash marks and he waited too long to throw it. Those are just a few examples, but to me that means that youre not confident in yourself... Treon is not going to get benched there is no reason to be uptight. He needs to come out against UGA and just trust himself and be confident in his decisions.

I agree with that, some of the throws the timing wasn't there. I'll get concerned if we see the same things against UGA and then the following weeks. Like you, I expected us to be handled, so I was kinda surprised with what we did. I'm not surprised the timing was off though, the announcers made the point sometime during the second quarter that Treon hadn't thrown a pass in a game in over a month. And given Grier was basically named the starter after ECU, I'm pretty sure he was getting most of the reps with 1st team. The lack of timing to me should have been expected. Now if it stays a problem then by all means.

Agreed and should of expected that but there is no excuse for just not throwing it to open receivers... If I remember correctly (which im probably not) I recall 4 times, I believe it was Powell, came across the middle and had his defender beat by 4-5 yards and he just didn't throw it. There is no excuse for that and that is what really gets under my skin. I can see missing a guy down the sidelines but a guy in the middle right infront of you just makes me mad.

There was a play we ran in the 4th where the slot guy ran a drag and we ran a square in behind it. The drag was wide open and he didn't throw it and it seemed like he was waiting for the square in coming behind it. I noticed that with a lot of our route combos. He just seemed impatient and wanted to wait for the big pass down the field instead of taking the simple route that was there. Doing stuff like that just makes it harder on himself. Hopefully that changes.

Reactions: TAYLOR1027
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT